PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. Also, check your spam folder. *****

We are still having a lot of users try to log on before resetting your password. You will continue to get an error until you reset your password!!

Author Topic: Cleveland: Ohio City: Development and News  (Read 11475 times)

Offline BCCLE1

• Kettering Tower 408'
Re: Cleveland: Ohio City: Development and News
« Reply #4920 on: April 21, 2017, 03:57:39 PM »
I definitely sympathize with people who don't want nightlife/noise coming into their quiet neighborhood. But the general solution issues like that is focusing intense development on primary corridors well served by transit. Which is exactly what this proposal does. So sympathies or not, I hope the city approves this project ASAP.

Another reason for closing West 29th from Detroit to Franklin and make it pedestrian only.

I was at Mason's creamery the other day when I overheard / eavesdropped on the conversation next to me. It was a young man, who obviously grew up in the neighborhood, speaking to his friend.

The young man mentioned the new proposed Project 29 and said "I would rather see the land vacant than more gentrification come to this neighborhood and price all of the residents out of the neighborhood." to which his friend replied "You realize you wouldn't be eating this ice cream right now if it were not for gentrification." Perhaps the best response I have ever heard in the perennial debate over gentrification.

I understand not wanting the neighborhood to change and nightlife to come into a neighborhood... but this is on Detroit Road, let the neighborhood fabric be insulated behind, let the thoroughfare thrive and modernize.

Why is the proposed Project 29 a good reason for closing off W. 29th St.? There is parking on W. 29th from Detroit to Franklin currently, so by closing off W. 29th that would only add to any parking problem created by building the Project 29 development.

W. 29th Street from Detroit Ave. to Franklin Ave is not at a point where I would think there is justification for, or the need currently to vacate it as a through street.  Would leaving W. 29th Street as a through street not help with the flow of traffic, rather then hinder traffic flow as the area around it grows with more apts/condo's/homes, and additional retail? I don't know, only time will tell.

What I do know is having three apt projects currently under construction in this part of OC, and the Project 29 development in the works can only be beneficial to OC, current and future retailers, and the CLE as a whole. 

Now if only Keiffe'rs could be revived (just without the Politicians).

Offline YABO713

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #4921 on: April 21, 2017, 04:01:06 PM »
^What is the name of the apartments currently going up next to Mariner's Watch?

Offline Htsguy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4922 on: April 21, 2017, 04:17:37 PM »
^Edge 32

Offline down4cle

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4923 on: April 25, 2017, 03:31:02 PM »
^ If CMSD were smart, they would sell this piece of highly valuable land but alas here we are. 

Offline surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4924 on: April 25, 2017, 03:39:52 PM »
^ If CMSD were smart, they would sell this piece of highly valuable land but alas here we are. 

Agree, there should be a mandatory cost-benefit analysis with government held properties. Anyhow, glad to see the three preferred options all embrace Detroit in a good way.

Offline YABO713

« Reply #4925 on: April 25, 2017, 03:46:09 PM »

Agree, there should be a mandatory cost-benefit analysis with government held properties. Anyhow, glad to see the three preferred options all embrace Detroit in a good way.

I have it on good authority that CMSD received a bid for the land that was RIH-DIH-CUE-LUSS

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4926 on: April 25, 2017, 09:48:50 PM »

Designers "blown away" by potential of Irishtown Bend park as planning begins

http://www.cleveland.com/architecture/index.ssf/2017/04/planners_kick_off_plans_for_ir.html#incart_river_home_pop

Offline Urbanophile

« Reply #4927 on: April 25, 2017, 10:24:07 PM »

I have it on good authority that CMSD received a bid for the land that was RIH-DIH-CUE-LUSS

It's so stupid that they didn't even consider taking that - or at least considered selling off part of the site in favor of a school with more stories. Think of how many new computers and other things they could buy for their schools with that money.

Offline freethink

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4928 on: April 25, 2017, 11:40:30 PM »
A building permit for 1468 West 25th  St. is listed under the name Mark Raymond,  who I am assuming might be the same one who owns The Cleveland Hostel. Shows the job value at 2 million. Anyone heard anything about this building?

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4929 on: April 25, 2017, 11:43:57 PM »
A building permit for 1468 West 25th  St. is listed under the name Mark Raymond,  who I am assuming might be the same one who owns The Cleveland Hostel. Shows the job value at 2 million. Anyone heard anything about this building?

renovation, addition. hotel.

Offline lafont

« Reply #4930 on: April 26, 2017, 12:32:19 AM »

Good.  Now let's get going with it please, though I'd like to see new, well designed fill-in on the west side of West 25th.

Offline Mendo

« Reply #4931 on: April 26, 2017, 08:04:24 AM »
Here is the plan for 1468 W. 25th from the Landmarks agenda February 2015:

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/landmark/agenda/2015/02262015/index.php

Offline freethink

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4932 on: April 26, 2017, 09:40:28 AM »
^Good find. With the eventual takedown of the buildings across the street and the development of IrishtownBend look for more development on the westside of 25th. St.  That new Park will change Ohio City.  Can't wait.

Offline viscomi

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #4933 on: April 26, 2017, 09:57:31 AM »
The last rendering of this project I saw, it had a an open courtyard to the north of the existing building. This is 100% better.

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4934 on: April 26, 2017, 09:59:18 AM »

this image is from a past attempt to renovate and expand this property. That project fell through and the building/land was sold to another entity. But from what i understand, the new project will also include an addition.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 10:06:59 PM by 3231 »

Offline Mendo

« Reply #4935 on: April 26, 2017, 10:05:09 AM »
this image is from a past attempt to renovate and expand this property. That project fell through and the building/land was sold to another entity. But from what i understand, the new project will also include an addition.

Thanks for the info. I hope the new project looks as good as the original plan.

Offline clvlndr

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4936 on: April 26, 2017, 12:00:38 PM »

Good.  Now let's get going with it please, though I'd like to see new, well designed fill-in on the west side of West 25th.

This is a very nice and creative project... I'd also like to see some similar development replacing the infamous Market Sq. plaza and the area south near the Red Line Rapid station where, currently, there are parking lots and small warehouses and weedy areas along Gehring Street.  You know... TOD.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #4937 on: April 26, 2017, 12:04:58 PM »

Wasn't there also a building project proposed between this project and the corner of West 25th/Church Avenue?
America will never be destroyed from the outside. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Mendo

« Reply #4938 on: April 26, 2017, 12:17:25 PM »
Wasn't there also a building project proposed between this project and the corner of West 25th/Church Avenue?

Not sure. According to the GIS, the small parcel next to the above building is owned by West 25th St Lofts LLC, which is the owner of the renovated apartment building on the other side of Church. I don't remember seeing anything proposed for that lot.

Offline w28th

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4939 on: April 26, 2017, 12:24:19 PM »
There will be an addition, but the old scheme is not what it will be. That was when it was going to be condos.

Offline donking

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #4940 on: April 26, 2017, 03:54:41 PM »
I haven't heard anything about any development happening on that 25th & Church parking lot (at least not in the near future). It was recently re-paved within the last couple months and the existing / future developers in the area are pretty happy with the new(ish) David Shillinglaw mural on the south-facing side of the 1468 building

Offline w28th

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4941 on: April 26, 2017, 04:12:18 PM »
The addition would go on the north empty parcel

Offline Mendo

« Reply #4942 on: April 28, 2017, 08:36:16 AM »
Here is the updated project from above.

http://realestate.cleveland.com/realestate-news/2017/04/cleveland_hostel_owner_plans_b.html

Cleveland Hostel owner plans boutique hotel in Ohio City, on West 25th Street (photos)
CLEVELAND, Ohio - Cleveland Hostel owner Mark Raymond is shouldering his second hospitality project in the Ohio City neighborhood: A boutique hotel blending old and new construction.

The 25-room project, named the Hulett Hotel in a nod to Northeast Ohio's industrial history, would sit on West 25th Street north of Church Avenue. Raymond aims to renovate a three-story brick building, vacated years ago by Lutheran Metropolitan Ministry, and to build a four-story, modern addition on an adjacent parking lot to the north.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 08:47:45 AM by Mendo »

Offline Urbanophile

« Reply #4943 on: April 28, 2017, 09:23:52 AM »
^ That's awesome. I can't wait for the day that all the gaps are filled on W 25th between Detroit and Lorain.

Offline mrclifton88

• Premium Member
« Reply #4944 on: April 28, 2017, 10:02:15 AM »
THAT is some cool looking infill.  This area is going to be changing rapidly.

Offline StapHanger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4945 on: April 28, 2017, 10:07:11 AM »
If the soil conditions permit, that western edge of West 25th really is super prime for intense development to take in those views.

Offline RMB

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #4946 on: April 28, 2017, 10:13:39 AM »
A
If the soil conditions permit, that western edge of West 25th really is super prime for intense development to take in those views.

Agreed.  This is arguably the best place for some real density in ohio city.  It's about time that Lutheran reevaluates the parking lots as they own about 750' of frontage on West 25th that is currently surface parking.  I've always thought that a garage in the middle of the Aust-Franklin block would allow for some great development, but its a hard financial decision if you don't have to pay real estate taxes...  Just seems to be getting to the point where they are holding back the neighborhood with those lots.

Offline clvlndr

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4947 on: April 28, 2017, 11:24:44 AM »
Mark Raymond has done an excellent job with the Hostel so I have no doubt he will duplicate this effort in the Hulett.  The rendering is mega-cool. 

It's interesting in the article Raymond notes that a number of his Hostel guests could afford traditional hotels but prefer to stay in OC.  Hulett obviously is a step in the right direction for more diverse lodging in OC that can more capture that audience.  I  wonder why more businesses have not chosen to move to the neighborhood as well.  It's desirable on multiple fronts as well as being highly accessible.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #4948 on: April 28, 2017, 11:59:22 AM »

When rents reach the right level, it should allow a developer to afford sinking caissons to bedrock to support development here, regardless of soil conditions. Some high-value housing has been built along the west side of the Rocky River valley which has the same slope stabilization issues (porous shale), but the housing was built atop expensive caissons.

Agreed.  This is arguably the best place for some real density in ohio city.  It's about time that Lutheran reevaluates the parking lots as they own about 750' of frontage on West 25th that is currently surface parking.  I've always thought that a garage in the middle of the Aust-Franklin block would allow for some great development, but its a hard financial decision if you don't have to pay real estate taxes...  Just seems to be getting to the point where they are holding back the neighborhood with those lots.

That's been considered. In fact, you'll noticed on the CPC GIS that the area on both sides of West 25th (the Irish Ben hillside and the Lutheran Hospital parking lot) were zoned with urban overlay districts with a PRO (Pedestrian Retail Overlay) for street level frontage. So the CDC and the city have made its intentions known what it wants there, and considering the main stakeholder involved (Cleveland Clinic), apparently they're OK with it. I can't see the city zoning it with the urban/PRO overlays without consent of the property owner.
America will never be destroyed from the outside. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Offline PoshSteve

• Great American Tower 665'
« Reply #4949 on: April 29, 2017, 05:53:25 PM »
Things moving quickly at the Snavely site:

From W28 looking towards Detroit/W25

From Superior Viaduct/W25