Author Topic: Parma: Development and News  (Read 4409 times)

andrew0816 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: Parma: Development and News
« Reply #90 on: March 08, 2018, 01:09:27 PM »
^ Since they don't have a charter, doesn't it limit their home rule authority?

Offline buckeye1

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #91 on: March 08, 2018, 01:16:29 PM »
^^ There are 936 total municipalities in Ohio. Of those 936, 702 of them are General law municipalities while the remaining 234 are Charter/Home rule cities.

https://ballotpedia.org/Cities_in_Ohio

Online YABO713

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #92 on: March 08, 2018, 01:31:44 PM »
General law doesn't mean "without charter" just to be clear

Online Pugu

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #93 on: March 08, 2018, 01:58:19 PM »
1. Yes, they have no charter. They're one of only 3 cities in the state without one.

2. Consolidation is unattainable because of the cronyism of Parma politics, the lack of a charter is just a manifestation of that. The charter has never been instituted because it would inevitably lead to a reduction of some hours / positions within the city government - and that will never happen.

The cronyism is the same reason Parma now has 3 high schools, none of which are rigorous academically or athletically - because the power brokers in the city won't allow it because they've gotten so many family members jobs teaching and coaching.

I grew up around it and, to be fair, my family was a small part of it. While we've benefited from it at times, it does not change the fact that what's best for Parma diverges from what's best for its current leadership.

3. It wouldn't be bad. But if that continues, and say Valley View, Brook Park, and Garfield Heights jump on board, the path to county regionalization just got harder - in my opinion - as two cities of 250,000+ will be attempting to influence the process. I'm pro-regionalization, but I think it has to start with Cleveland and work its way outwards

got it---thanks for elaborating.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 02:13:46 PM by Pugu »

Offline 327

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #94 on: March 08, 2018, 02:41:17 PM »
This is the main barrier to consolidation all over the region, not just in Parma.  It's the reason East Cleveland still exists.  But Parma is bigger so the problem is bigger there.  At least the current mayor is somewhat of an outsider.

Online YABO713

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #95 on: March 08, 2018, 02:54:07 PM »
This is the main barrier to consolidation all over the region, not just in Parma.  It's the reason East Cleveland still exists.  But Parma is bigger so the problem is bigger there.  At least the current mayor is somewhat of an outsider.

East Cleveland will not survive the next corruption scandal.

Offline tastybunns

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #96 on: March 08, 2018, 04:48:17 PM »
Tim DeGeeter has actually done a nice job since he took office. The key to redevelopment is beginning on your infrastructure, and that's exactly what he's starting on. The roads were an atrocity with DiPiero, none of them were resurfaced or even talked about. With DeGeeter, atleast now we have a massive revamp of Pleasant Valley past York Road even on a collaboration effort with Middleburgh Heights. Ridge Road is currently seeing resurfacing for the next few years, and I wouldn't be surprised if Pleasant Valley from Broadview Road to State doesn't get a revamp. Parma is famous for its potholes, I think it's time we break that reputation.

Online AmrapinVA

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #97 on: August 03, 2018, 02:40:55 PM »
University Hospitals Parma Medical Center to undergo $27-million renovation

https://www.cleveland.com/healthfit/index.ssf/2018/07/university_hospitals_parma_med_1.html

Offline tastybunns

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #98 on: August 13, 2018, 02:52:07 PM »
I'm not sure if It's Parma or Brooklyn but it's right across from Brookpark Road and Ridge Road Where Kmart used to be.
The entirety of that old Super Kmart were ripped down a few years ago,
Word is that it's being rebuilt as a Menards.
Construction is already underway on the lot, glad I wont be looking at an empty eyesore driving down Brookpark anymore.

Online YABO713

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #99 on: August 13, 2018, 03:21:57 PM »
I'm not sure if It's Parma or Brooklyn but it's right across from Brookpark Road and Ridge Road Where Kmart used to be.
The entirety of that old Super Kmart were ripped down a few years ago,
Word is that it's being rebuilt as a Menards.
Construction is already underway on the lot, glad I wont be looking at an empty eyesore driving down Brookpark anymore.

Actually, I believe that strip is (confusingly) Cleveland. That area over the hop-scotches from Cleveland to Brooklyn to Parma every 100 feet

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #100 on: August 13, 2018, 03:34:50 PM »
Nope. Its Brooklyn. Cleveland is on the NE corner of Ridge and Brookpark. The old Kmart was at 7700 Brookpark, the north side of Brookpark Rd, which is in Brooklyn. Parma is on the south side of Brookpark Road.

News....
https://www.cleveland.com/brooklyn/index.ssf/2016/06/brooklyn_menards_store_constru.html

Brooklyn city limits.....
Brooklyncitylimits by Ken Prendergast, on Flickr

Cleveland boundaries in that area....
Cle GIS map by Ken Prendergast, on Flickr
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 03:40:52 PM by KJP »
"Treat this (November 2018) election as if it's the last election in which you can fully exercise your democratic rights. Because it just might be." -- Margy Waller.

Online YABO713

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #101 on: August 13, 2018, 03:51:29 PM »
Nope. Its Brooklyn. Cleveland is on the NE corner of Ridge and Brookpark. The old Kmart was at 7700 Brookpark, the north side of Brookpark Rd, which is in Brooklyn. Parma is on the south side of Brookpark Road.

News....
https://www.cleveland.com/brooklyn/index.ssf/2016/06/brooklyn_menards_store_constru.html

Brooklyn city limits.....
Brooklyncitylimits by Ken Prendergast, on Flickr

Cleveland boundaries in that area....
Cle GIS map by Ken Prendergast, on Flickr

I once got in an accident at Ridge and 480 and had to call all three fire departments because none of them would acknowledge it as their jurisdiction.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #102 on: August 13, 2018, 03:55:39 PM »

I once got in an accident at Ridge and 480 and had to call all three fire departments because none of them would acknowledge it as their jurisdiction.

Another argument for regionalization. And to give my wife some clarity. She can't understand why there's 58 municipalities in Cuyahoga County. Now that I mention it, neither can I.
"Treat this (November 2018) election as if it's the last election in which you can fully exercise your democratic rights. Because it just might be." -- Margy Waller.

Offline ytown2ctown

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #103 on: August 13, 2018, 04:13:45 PM »
Growing up in Parma all my life I can agree with the frustration that this city with its location, "bones", low cost of housing, and size continues to have no vision. Parma is based on what neighborhood (dictated a lot by high school) you live in and never has a bigger picture approach.

Online YABO713

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #104 on: August 13, 2018, 04:24:53 PM »
Growing up in Parma all my life I can agree with the frustration that this city with its location, "bones", low cost of housing, and size continues to have no vision. Parma is based on what neighborhood (dictated a lot by high school) you live in and never has a bigger picture approach.

Couldn't say it better. And you can brand the hell out of Ukrainian and Polish village(s).

Online AmrapinVA

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #105 on: Yesterday at 03:00:42 PM »

I 1000000% agree. Ridge/Snow and State/Snow could be great "downtown intersections". With different planning Ridge could be something special north of Parma Circle and State north of Grantwood. Even the Parma side of Brookpark has potential. Yet a "no vision" mentality is why Parma has had a steady slow bleed of population starting in the early 70s.

For example, I still can't get over the stupidity that led to downfall of the Parma Theater. It's replacement is a basically a suburban CVS. Mind you a storefront CVS failed about 500 feet up Ridge from the current location in the 2000s. No vision.

Online YABO713

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #106 on: Yesterday at 03:07:59 PM »

I 1000000% agree. Ridge/Snow and State/Snow could be great "downtown intersections". With different planning Ridge could be something special north of Parma Circle and State north of Grantwood. Even the Parma side of Brookpark has potential. Yet a "no vision" mentality is why Parma has had a steady slow bleed of population starting in the early 70s.

For example, I still can't get over the stupidity that led to downfall of the Parma Theater. It's replacement is a basically a suburban CVS. Mind you a storefront CVS failed about 500 feet up Ridge from the current location in the 2000s. No vision.

And a Rite Aid at Ridge and Snow just went under in May, 8 years after it was built, replacing a structure from the 1930s

Online YABO713

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #107 on: Yesterday at 03:15:26 PM »

Online AmrapinVA

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #108 on: Yesterday at 03:37:46 PM »
Parma could very easily have business districts that look like this... the bones are there. But they're still plagued by crony politics - in a very 1970s nostalgic sort of way

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0662926,-87.8780574,3a,75y,355.05h,90.39t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sOpF9klg-itjHSCfHP9TYEg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0601076,-87.8853756,3a,75y,100.23h,89.83t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sDECHFAe4v-AkMc20zpsVlw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Problem is the literal view from City Hall is Parmatown or whatever the hell it is now. That's the vision of "downtown". I can rant for days. I'll stop.

It makes me nuts that Arlington, VA and Parma were very similar places in terms of building structures if you go back to 1965. They've gone in two radically different directions with Parma never leaving the starting gate. You can still see old vestiges of Arlington on Lee Hwy. and places south of Ballston-Clarendon corridor that still kinda look like Parma.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 03:43:27 PM by AmrapinVA »