PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Sandusky-Erie Islands: Random Development News & Info  (Read 5600 times)

Offline BigDipper 80

• Great American Tower 665'
Re: Sandusky-Erie Islands: Random Development News & Info
« Reply #270 on: March 26, 2017, 01:57:17 PM »
This is all great news for Sandusky. Honestly just by virtue of location and relatively small size, Sandusky has the most/easiest complete-turnaround potential of any city in Ohio.
“To an Ohio resident - wherever he lives - some other part of his state seems unreal.”

Offline tcjoe1985

• Global Moderator
  • Key Tower 947'
« Reply #271 on: March 28, 2017, 09:29:46 AM »
....and it's happening!

Sandusky City Hall moving to downtown

SANDUSKY — There is no more uncertainty or doubt surrounding a possible move.

A definite decision, decades in the making, finally took place.

During Monday’s public meeting, Sandusky city commissioners voted 5-2 to vacate City Hall and, by mid-2018, relocate administrative offices into parts of three vacant downtown structures.

All told, through a public-private partnership, the project totals a $23.5 million investment in Sandusky.

FULL STORY: http://www.sanduskyregister.com/story/201703270041

Offline C-Dawg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #272 on: March 28, 2017, 05:26:16 PM »
This is all great news for Sandusky. Honestly just by virtue of location and relatively small size, Sandusky has the most/easiest complete-turnaround potential of any city in Ohio.

I totally agree. Once Lake Erie is cleaned up again, Sandusky is a sure bet. It's such a great little city. You get similar housing and neighborhoods as Toledo and Cleveland, but without the big city problems. The location is fantastic, easily the best in Ohio. There is great Lake Erie and Islands access, a major Amtrak line, an excellent natural harbor, I-80/90 access, and not as much lake effect weather as areas further east.

Looking at Port Huron in Michigan (beautiful historic shipping port on Lake Huron/St. Clair River), Sandusky should experience a similar revival. They are similar ports with similar histories and great historic cores. Sandusky is really the best of Ohio. You're right, potential for full turnaround is the best too.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 05:32:32 PM by C-Dawg »

Offline Tobias C

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #273 on: May 11, 2017, 12:59:08 AM »
I lived and worked in Sandusky several years ago and I absolutely loved it. Tourism basically ensures the cities future and it is basically the commercial center of North-Central Ohio. Downtown is revitalizing at a crazy rate and is really starting to have a, dare I say, cosmopolitan vibe for being a small rust belt city. There's still plenty of urban problems that are commonplace in the region such as poverty, unemployment, and crime in Sandusky but the city really is coming back in a big way. When I lived there I had a downtown apartment with a view of the State Theater out the front of my building and the lake out of the back. It was excellent. I could honestly see myself retiring in Sandusky someday, especially if things continue the way they are.

Offline rockandroller

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #274 on: May 12, 2017, 12:49:33 PM »
I would love to retire there. Like, if I was actually ever going to be able to retire, which I'm not.

Offline Columbo

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #275 on: July 17, 2017, 10:06:48 AM »

Lonz Winery building reopens on Lake Erie’s Middle Bass Island as part of Ohio state park

MIDDLE BASS ISLAND — A stone fortress that housed a historic winery for generations on Lake Erie’s Middle Bass Island is ready for tourists following a renovation finished 17 years after the state of Ohio bought the property.

But the state still is looking for a private operator to help bring the Lonz Winery back to life.  The winery hasn’t been open since the summer of 2000 when a concrete terrace collapsed and killed one man and injured 75 others.

Ohio soon bought the winery and the surrounding 120 acres, spending $20 million to build a marina and campsites to create Middle Bass Island State Park.  State officials tried without success to find private investors interested in the winery before starting renovations three years ago for an additional $6 million.  The Ohio Department of Natural Resources showed off the refurbished winery last month

MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/entertainment/20170716/lonz-winery-building-reopens-on-lake-eries-middle-bass-island-as-part-of-ohio-state-park
#SaveTheCrew -- https://savethecrew.com/

Offline ink

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #276 on: July 17, 2017, 10:31:09 AM »

Offline RubberSoul

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #277 on: July 20, 2017, 02:04:33 PM »
I think the restored winery looks great. Still...
This was a "fort" at one time? I guess that explains why a wonderful patio has its potentially awesome view of the water mostly obscured by a high wall...

Offline ink

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #278 on: July 20, 2017, 02:23:01 PM »
^I do not know about it being a fort, but the walls are remnants of the building. They removed the roofs of the winery, so the remaining patio is the old floor of the main level (and now the roof of the wine cellars below).

Offline tcjoe1985

• Global Moderator
  • Key Tower 947'
« Reply #279 on: November 27, 2017, 08:48:10 AM »
The Landing coming to Sandusky's unexplored frontier
SANDUSKY — A proposed pathway not only incorporates elements of its natural environment but also introduces and invites locals to check out Sandusky’s relatively uncharted waterfront region.

Preliminary drawings for a $24 million project, called Landing Park, show the nature trail encircling a 27-acre section off Cleveland Road (U.S. 6), behind, or just north of, Sports Force Parks at Cedar Point Sports Center.

Great renderings and the full story here: http://www.sanduskyregister.com/story/201711190009

Offline tcjoe1985

• Global Moderator
  • Key Tower 947'
« Reply #280 on: November 27, 2017, 09:02:52 AM »
Game on: $28M indoor sports complex coming to Erie County
SANDUSKY — Consider it a double-play combination where children from across the nation can compete on neighboring world-class facilities in Erie County.

During Thursday’s public county commission meeting, a host of entities came to terms on constructing a $28 million indoor youth athletic complex. It’ll be located next to the outdoor Sports Force Parks at Cedar Point Sports Center on Cleveland Road (U.S. 6) in Sandusky.

FULL STORY: http://www.sanduskyregister.com/story/201710050026

This facility will be located next to Cedar Point's new Sports Force Park (https://sportsforceparkssandusky.com/) and the proposed "The Landing" park in the post above.

Online surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #281 on: November 27, 2017, 09:56:10 AM »
SANDUSKY — A proposed pathway not only incorporates elements of its natural environment but also introduces and invites locals to check out Sandusky’s relatively uncharted waterfront region.

Preliminary drawings for a $24 million project, called Landing Park, show the nature trail encircling a 27-acre section off Cleveland Road (U.S. 6), behind, or just north of, Sports Force Parks at Cedar Point Sports Center.

Great renderings and the full story here: http://www.sanduskyregister.com/story/201711190009

Damn.

All told, and as proposed, the project could take 15 years to complete.

So I read that as it may take 25 years to complete. I'm starting to resent amazing looking projects that I may not live to see lol.

Offline tcjoe1985

• Global Moderator
  • Key Tower 947'
« Reply #282 on: November 27, 2017, 04:09:08 PM »

Damn.

All told, and as proposed, the project could take 15 years to complete.

So I read that as it may take 25 years to complete. I'm starting to resent amazing looking projects that I may not live to see lol.

I hear you! Hopefully this project can be achieved much sooner....it appears to have widespread support!

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #283 on: December 19, 2017, 09:13:53 PM »
Sandusky signs contract to begin Jackson Street Pier job https://t.co/VRvUSEIVVq
"Many Americans are willing to die for their country. But pay taxes for it? No way." -- Me.

Offline tcjoe1985

• Global Moderator
  • Key Tower 947'
« Reply #284 on: February 09, 2018, 12:40:04 AM »
Check out downtown Sandusky's new market

SANDUSKY — A longtime grocer believes he can successfully produce something completely foreign to the Sandusky market.

Popular in Europe, Mike Graley envisions his multifaceted upscale venture as a one-stop shop for consumers to visit multiple times a day, with essentially each hour offering an ever-evolving edible experience.

FULL STORY: http://www.sanduskyregister.com/story/201710310019

NOTE: It looks like this is the same "Vita Urbana" that didn't do so well in Cleveland. Hopefully it'll succeed in Sandusky....
I completely forgot this place existed.

The million dollar question....

"We offered great solutions for the community," he said. "Unfortunately after a year and a half we could not hit our projections. Still unsure why."

Battery Park restaurant Vita Urbana closes

http://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2017/12/vita_urbana_restaurant_closes.html#incart_river_home

Offline tcjoe1985

• Global Moderator
  • Key Tower 947'
« Reply #285 on: February 09, 2018, 12:44:00 AM »
Incredible news....

College campus pushed forward in downtown Sandusky

SANDUSKY — Two Ohio-based institutions partnered on a proposed multimillion-dollar project, representing, quite possibly, the most significant investment ever made in downtown Sandusky.

Through an unprecedented public-private partnership, Cedar Fair and Bowling Green State University want to create a college paired with a campus-style environment somewhere within the city’s central business district.

It’s possible the academic center, solely focused on teaching tourism-related courses, and a related residential setting, housing upward of 200 students year-round, could open by 2020.

FULL STORY: http://www.sanduskyregister.com/story/201802070028

Offline tcjoe1985

• Global Moderator
  • Key Tower 947'
« Reply #286 on: March 29, 2018, 12:24:34 PM »

$14M project proposed for the Feick Building

SANDUSKY — A multimillion-dollar proposal calls for reactivating one of downtown Sandusky’s tallest and largest buildings.

During Monday’s public meeting, city commissioners backed a financial package specifically tailored for project developer Marous Brothers Construction to revamp and modernize the empty Feick Building on East Market Street.

FULL STORY: http://www.sanduskyregister.com/story/201803260013

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm hopeful the tax credit is approved for this project! *fingers crossed*

Offline tcjoe1985

• Global Moderator
  • Key Tower 947'
« Reply #287 on: March 29, 2018, 12:32:01 PM »

Renaissance Too starting $1M project in downtown Sandusky

SANDUSKY — Believing in Sandusky’s renaissance, they, too, want to make a sizable investment in the community.

During a recent public meeting, city commissioners designated $115,000 in local grant funds so Sandusky-based company Renaissance Too can pursue a complete renovation project at 125 E. Water St. by Daly’s Pub.

FULL STORY: http://www.sanduskyregister.com/story/201803270014

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This renovated building will be the new home of the Lake Erie Shores & Islands tourist and visitor's bureau.  Right now, their office is located near Sandusky Mall south of town.

Offline Arcade Fiyah

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #288 on: March 29, 2018, 03:10:05 PM »
That is great stuff!
"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Offline TwoStickney419

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #289 on: April 01, 2018, 01:45:00 AM »
Was in sandusky twice this year already,..seemed like it was already tourist season in mid january and last week!

*not sure if its open to public, but the sunday brunch at sandusky yacht club is amazing!

Offline tcjoe1985

• Global Moderator
  • Key Tower 947'
« Reply #290 on: April 23, 2018, 11:11:06 AM »
Can owner re-invent Sandusky Mall?

PERKINS TWP. — What’s to become of the Sandusky Mall, the city’s namesake premiere shopping center for the last 45 years?

A lot of people are asking that question with news about the latest departure of a large retailer: Elder-Beerman, a clothing store, announced this week its closing all of its stores, including the one at Sandusky Mall.

It’s been bad news after bad news for the mall. Last year the Macy’s store and Charming Charlie both closed and the year before, the iconic Sears left.

FULL STORY: http://www.sanduskyregister.com/story/201804200010

In the age of the dying mall, it amazes me that until 2016, the Sandusky Mall was doing relatively well. Now, 3 department store spaces will be empty. It'll be interesting to see what happens....

Offline TwoStickney419

« Reply #291 on: May 14, 2018, 01:29:28 AM »

Offline TwoStickney419

« Reply #292 on: May 14, 2018, 01:43:10 AM »
http://www.sanduskyregister.com/story/201805110017

Special tax deals to help develop the sandusky bay pathway