PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Sandusky-Erie Islands: Random Development News & Info  (Read 596 times)

Offline BigDipper 80

• Rhodes Tower 629'
Re: Sandusky-Erie Islands: Random Development News & Info
« Reply #270 on: March 26, 2017, 01:57:17 PM »
This is all great news for Sandusky. Honestly just by virtue of location and relatively small size, Sandusky has the most/easiest complete-turnaround potential of any city in Ohio.

Offline tcjoe1985

• Global Moderator
  • One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #271 on: March 28, 2017, 09:29:46 AM »
....and it's happening!

Sandusky City Hall moving to downtown

SANDUSKY — There is no more uncertainty or doubt surrounding a possible move.

A definite decision, decades in the making, finally took place.

During Monday’s public meeting, Sandusky city commissioners voted 5-2 to vacate City Hall and, by mid-2018, relocate administrative offices into parts of three vacant downtown structures.

All told, through a public-private partnership, the project totals a $23.5 million investment in Sandusky.

FULL STORY: http://www.sanduskyregister.com/story/201703270041

Offline C-Dawg Njaim

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #272 on: March 28, 2017, 05:26:16 PM »
This is all great news for Sandusky. Honestly just by virtue of location and relatively small size, Sandusky has the most/easiest complete-turnaround potential of any city in Ohio.

I totally agree. Once Lake Erie is cleaned up again, Sandusky is a sure bet. It's such a great little city. You get similar housing and neighborhoods as Toledo and Cleveland, but without the big city problems. The location is fantastic, easily the best in Ohio. There is great Lake Erie and Islands access, a major Amtrak line, an excellent natural harbor, I-80/90 access, and not as much lake effect weather as areas further east.

Looking at Port Huron in Michigan (beautiful historic shipping port on Lake Huron/St. Clair River), Sandusky should experience a similar revival. They are similar ports with similar histories and great historic cores. Sandusky is really the best of Ohio. You're right, potential for full turnaround is the best too.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 05:32:32 PM by C-Dawg »

Online Tobias C

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #273 on: May 11, 2017, 12:59:08 AM »
I lived and worked in Sandusky several years ago and I absolutely loved it. Tourism basically ensures the cities future and it is basically the commercial center of North-Central Ohio. Downtown is revitalizing at a crazy rate and is really starting to have a, dare I say, cosmopolitan vibe for being a small rust belt city. There's still plenty of urban problems that are commonplace in the region such as poverty, unemployment, and crime in Sandusky but the city really is coming back in a big way. When I lived there I had a downtown apartment with a view of the State Theater out the front of my building and the lake out of the back. It was excellent. I could honestly see myself retiring in Sandusky someday, especially if things continue the way they are.

Offline rockandroller

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #274 on: May 12, 2017, 12:49:33 PM »
I would love to retire there. Like, if I was actually ever going to be able to retire, which I'm not.

Offline Columbo

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #275 on: July 17, 2017, 10:06:48 AM »

Lonz Winery building reopens on Lake Erie’s Middle Bass Island as part of Ohio state park

MIDDLE BASS ISLAND — A stone fortress that housed a historic winery for generations on Lake Erie’s Middle Bass Island is ready for tourists following a renovation finished 17 years after the state of Ohio bought the property.

But the state still is looking for a private operator to help bring the Lonz Winery back to life.  The winery hasn’t been open since the summer of 2000 when a concrete terrace collapsed and killed one man and injured 75 others.

Ohio soon bought the winery and the surrounding 120 acres, spending $20 million to build a marina and campsites to create Middle Bass Island State Park.  State officials tried without success to find private investors interested in the winery before starting renovations three years ago for an additional $6 million.  The Ohio Department of Natural Resources showed off the refurbished winery last month

MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/entertainment/20170716/lonz-winery-building-reopens-on-lake-eries-middle-bass-island-as-part-of-ohio-state-park
#SaveTheCrew -- https://savethecrew.com/

Offline ink

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #276 on: July 17, 2017, 10:31:09 AM »

Offline RubberSoul

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #277 on: July 20, 2017, 02:04:33 PM »
I think the restored winery looks great. Still...
This was a "fort" at one time? I guess that explains why a wonderful patio has its potentially awesome view of the water mostly obscured by a high wall...

Offline ink

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #278 on: July 20, 2017, 02:23:01 PM »
^I do not know about it being a fort, but the walls are remnants of the building. They removed the roofs of the winery, so the remaining patio is the old floor of the main level (and now the roof of the wine cellars below).