Author Topic: Beyond the 3C's: Demolition Watch  (Read 4089 times)

Offline eastvillagedon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: Beyond the 3C's: Demolition Watch
« Reply #120 on: September 14, 2015, 01:44:55 PM »
There's a bit of a firestorm brewing in Painesville over the fate of the little house shown here--dating from about 1880. The city wants to tear it down, but the owners of the Steele Mansion (which is relatively close by) have come to its defense, enlisting many of their fans in its preservation. I think it's in a really bad state of disrepair despite the mostly intact-looking exterior. It was on the market for a long time and a couple of people--who indicated interest in buying it--are now outraged over the possibility it might be demolished. I remember finding it in real estate listings, but there were never any shots of the interior--always a bad sign. I'm not even sure what specific architectural style can be assigned to it. It's sort of a modified or truncated Italianate (?) Anyway, its fate goes before the planning commission next month--

good news! momentum is building (Apparently some of the structure goes back to 1836)--

Some object to Painesville's plan to raze 1800s house
By Betsy Scott, The News-Herald

http://www.news-herald.com/general-news/20141021/some-object-to-painesvilles-plan-to-raze-1800s-house

The city of Painesville’s plans to tear down an 1800s home in the heart of its Mentor Avenue Historic District is causing a stir among some in the community.

The city recently began running legal notice of its intent to demolish the structure at 239 Mentor Ave., just east of the bike path.

The property, which is in foreclosure, was identified for demolition because of structural issues found by city housing inspectors and the chief building official, said Doug Lewis, assistant city manager/community development director.

It's really disgusting how eager they seem to be about tearing this house down--imagine, free money to do so! The so-called Community Development Director is a joke who obviously doesn't seem interested in historic preservation. Come to think of it, he doesn't even seem capable of much "development" either if Painesville's still struggling economy is any indication. As for the people who consider it an eyesore beyond saving, maybe they should move to another neighborhood. Then again what neighborhood in Painesville doesn't have at least one eyesore...or two, or three... :|

Historic home in Painesville could be demolished
   Posted: Oct 28, 2014 2:58 PM EDT Updated: Oct 28, 2014 3:43 PM EDT
   By Jen Picciano

http://www.19actionnews.com/story/27098673/historic-home-in-painesville-could-be-demolished

okay, you know a property is historic when the first name of the original owner was "Aristarchus." C'mon, when was the last time you saw that?? :laugh:

Painesville home targeted for demolition once owned by prominent resident

POSTED: 11/12/14, 10:19 AM EST |

http://www.news-herald.com/general-news/20141112/painesville-home-targeted-for-demolition-once-owned-by-prominent-resident

Some details are emerging about the history of a 178-year-old Painesville home facing possible demolition.

An area resident with family ties to the home at 239 Mentor Ave. says the property once belonged to Dr. Loring Clark Stebbins, a prominent physician in the area in the 1800s.

Dr. Stebbins was a YMCA trustee, and he and his wife, Almosina, were part of the anti-slavery movement in Painesville, said Willoughby resident Judy Stebbins. Her husband was Loring James Stebbins, the great-grandson of Dr. Stebbins.

Update a year later. Nothing's changed. I don't know what the woman quoted in the article is complaining about. Painesville is known for its flophouses and drug havens.

Fate of historic Painesville home once targeted for demolition remains unclear
By Tawana Roberts, The News-Herald
POSTED: 09/13/15, 6:11 PM EDT | UPDATED: 2 HRS AGO

http://www.news-herald.com/general-news/20150913/fate-of-historic-painesville-home-once-targeted-for-demolition-remains-unclear

One resident who has been vocal in her criticism of the home is Elizabeth Devney Peters, a Painesville resident who lives near the house.

“The structure is an eyesore and unsafe,” Peters said. “It is a fire hazard, a health hazard, a flophouse, drug haven and menace to my neighborhood and the city of Painesville”.

Offline buckeye1

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #121 on: October 09, 2015, 05:25:49 AM »
Lorain's former St. Joseph Hospital demolition:

Demolition of St. Joe’s begins
http://chronicle.northcoastnow.com/2015/10/08/demolition-of-st-joes-begins/
LORAIN — Before his son had to go to Horizon Science Academy, Richie Davila took him to see the demolition of the old St. Joseph Hospital.

Davila, who works across from the hospital on Broadway at Advance Auto Parts, brought his son, Richard II, to see workers start demolishing the building — parts of which are almost 100 years old — around 7:30 a.m. Wednesday...

...The hospital closed in 1997, and the building has been used recently as a community center and by many civic organizations. But Lorain County Community College, which had established a satellite branch in the building, left last year for a new location, and the Veterans Administration Clinic in the building will move into a facility on Abbe Road in Sheffield — not far from the new home for the County Veterans Service Commission, across from LCCC.

“I think the verdict has been rendered,” said Lorain Mayor Chase Ritenauer on the building’s fate. “We have to clear away the old to make way for the new.”...

PLENTY OF ADDITIONAL IMAGES AT: https://www.facebook.com/groups/235859529787786/

Offline surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #122 on: November 21, 2015, 11:09:30 PM »
U of Akron to tear down four historic Quaker Square buildings? Unacceptible. I swear my alma mater will not get one dime from me. Ever.

http://www.thedevilstrip.com/home/ua-asks-the-state-to-pay-to-demolish-historic-church-some-quaker-square-buildings/

Offline MayDay

• Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Cleveland Skyscrapers
« Reply #123 on: November 22, 2015, 09:37:50 AM »
Absolutely disgusting but not surprising given the university's current leadership.

Offline surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #124 on: November 22, 2015, 01:11:38 PM »
Absolutely disgusting but not surprising given the university's current leadership.

Demoralizing situation there. It should cause an uproar if any state money goes toward this demolition.

Offline C-Dawg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #125 on: November 22, 2015, 02:39:35 PM »
^Insane. Quaker Square is a very unique structure with a rich history in Akron. The city is way worse off without that landmark. I'm sickened it is even being considered.

*And I never give a dime to my alma mater. Even if I could afford to, I don't agree with how they spend money. :| Universities in Ohio blow money on needless projects all the time, and in terms of demolitions of historic landmarks, many schools are guilty. I just don't think anything has been as high profile as Shaker Square...

Ohio is on a national historic landmark demolishing rampage!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 02:48:34 PM by C-Dawg »

Offline ink

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #126 on: November 22, 2015, 06:30:54 PM »
^The silos are not being demolished, just the smaller brick warehouses that housed the shops. Not that this is acceptable.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 06:31:20 PM by ink »

Offline C-Dawg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #127 on: November 22, 2015, 09:28:36 PM »
^I'm happy the silos are staying up, but the surrounding buildings should be saved too. There is no excuse for this, and shame on the university for destroying any national historic landmarks.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 09:28:59 PM by C-Dawg »

Offline musky

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • "Where there is no vision, the people perish..."
    • FB
« Reply #128 on: December 15, 2015, 02:45:15 PM »
Cross-posted from the Euclid Thread:

From September 8, 2015:

City Moves to Demolish Former Lakeshore Chevy Buildings
by Jonathan Holody

For many years, the Lakeshore Chevrolet dealership in Euclid served the automotive needs of residents throughout Northeast Ohio.  Since the dealership closed in 2008, however, the group of decaying buildings along East 185th Street have sat empty and abandoned.  That will likely change as the City of Euclid takes steps to demolish the buildings and prepare the site for redevelopment.

With help from the Community Improvement Corporation of Euclid and the Cuyahoga County Department of Development, the City began to strategically acquire the abandoned and tax-delinquent properties through the foreclosure process in late 2013.  The multiple structures on the 1.33 acre site were later condemned by Building officials due to severe structural deterioration.

After soliciting bids, the City awarded a contract for the demolition of the buildings to Pro-Quality of Campbell, Ohio.  Funding for the project will come from the City’s $1 million grant award from the newly created Cuyahoga County Property Demolition Fund.  Work is expected to begin in the fall of this year.

Demolition of the buildings and parking area will not only remove a blight from the community, it will also create a shovel-ready development site. With its close proximity to Euclid Hospital, Hospice of Western Reserve, Villa Angela St. Joseph High School and University Hospitals, and along the up-and-coming East 185th Street business corridor, the site has tremendous potential to attract future development.

Market-based redevelopment options as well as potential interim greenspace uses for the Chevy site are being prepared as part of the East 185th Street Land-use and Transportation Plan.  The plan is a collaborative effort between the City of Euclid, City of Cleveland, Cuyahoga County Planning Commission and Northeast Shores Community Development Corporation.

Jonathan Holody

Jonathan Holody is Director of Planning and Development for the City of Euclid.

http://euclidobserver.com/read/2015/09/08/city-moves-to-demolish-former-lakeshore-chevy-buildings

And today....
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 02:46:01 PM by musky »

Offline Sprite

• Excavation Site
« Reply #129 on: January 13, 2016, 04:03:05 PM »
Any update pics on how this development is coming along?

Offline Samantha21

• Excavation Site
« Reply #130 on: December 23, 2016, 05:14:08 AM »
There's a bit of a firestorm brewing in Painesville over the fate of the little house shown here--dating from about 1880. The city wants to tear it down, but the owners of the Steele Mansion (which is relatively close by) have come to its defense, enlisting many of their fans in its preservation. I think it's in a really bad state of disrepair despite the mostly intact-looking exterior. It was on the market for a long time and a couple of people--who indicated interest in buying it--are now outraged over the possibility it might be demolished. I remember finding it in real estate listings, but there were never any shots of the interior--always a bad sign. I'm not even sure what specific architectural style can be assigned to it. It's sort of a modified or truncated Italianate (?) Anyway, its fate goes before the planning commission next month--

good news! momentum is building (Apparently some of the structure goes back to 1836)--

Some object to Painesville's plan to raze 1800s house

The city of Painesville’s plans to tear down an 1800s home in the heart of its Mentor Avenue Historic District is causing a stir among some in the community.

The city recently began running legal notice of its intent to demolish the structure at 239 Mentor Ave., just east of the bike path.

The property, which is in foreclosure, was identified for demolition because of structural issues found by city housing inspectors and the chief building official, said Doug Lewis, assistant city manager/community development director.

It's really disgusting how eager they seem to be about tearing this house down--imagine, free money to do so! The so-called Community Development Director is a joke who obviously doesn't seem interested in historic preservation. Come to think of it, he doesn't even seem capable of much "development" either if Painesville's still struggling economy is any indication. As for the people who consider it an eyesore beyond saving, maybe they should move to another neighborhood. Then again what neighborhood in Painesville doesn't have at least one eyesore...or two, or three... :|

Historic home in Painesville could be demolished
   Posted: Oct 28, 2014 2:58 PM EDT Updated: Oct 28, 2014 3:43 PM EDT
   By Jen Picciano

In other business, committee members voted to raze the historic Peck House on Wick Avenue.

The university announced plans in 2010 to demolish the building but put those plans on hold to determine if there was another use for it.

The Peck House is a 7,660-square-foot, single-family home in the Wick Avenue Historic District and was built in 1887 for Dr. George and Emeline Peck. It’s one of six mansions remaining on Wick.

Offline JRC

• Global Moderator
  • Key Tower 947'
« Reply #131 on: December 23, 2016, 09:16:20 AM »
In other business, committee members voted to raze the historic Peck House on Wick Avenue.

The university announced plans in 2010 to demolish the building but put those plans on hold to determine if there was another use for it.

The Peck House is a 7,660-square-foot, single-family home in the Wick Avenue Historic District and was built in 1887 for Dr. George and Emeline Peck. It’s one of six mansions remaining on Wick.

The Peck House was razed over 4 years ago, unfortunately.
Here is a video showing the demolition of the Peck House in Youngstown, from [August 2012]:

I saw this article yesterday, and probably wouldn't have thought to post here, if not for the thread bump.

Future uncertain for oldest surviving Youngstown church
The Old Welsh Congregational Church on Elm Street was first built in 1861
By Amanda Smith
Published: December 22, 2016, 7:50 pm Updated: December 22, 2016, 7:52 pm
YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio (WKBN) – The oldest church in Youngstown is facing the greatest challenge of its long life, causing the Catholic Diocese of Youngstown to call someone in to help save it.

The Old Welsh Congregational Church on Elm Street was first built in 1861. Coal, not steel, ruled Youngstown at that time and Abraham Lincoln had just taken office.

More: http://wkbn.com/2016/12/22/future-uncertain-for-oldest-surviving-youngstown-church/

Offline ink

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #132 on: January 23, 2017, 03:40:34 PM »
From the Lima News:

Downtown building renovation, demolition on Lima council agenda

Council will also vote on entering into contract with Lima-based Hume Supply for demolishing buildings near Town Square in connection with the Rhodes State Center for Health Science Education and Innovation project. Hume Supply was the lowest bidder at $506,900, with the city set to participate in and supervise the demolition contract as part of its agreement with Rhodes State.

“The first phase will demolish three groups of buildings,” Elstro said in a letter to the council. “Demolition is planned to commence as soon as possible, and we anticipate a completion date of May 1.”

https://limaohio.com/news/226472/downtown-building-renovation-demolition-on-lima-council-agenda

From what I can gather from this link (http://www.rhodesstate.edu/About%20Rhodes/Office%20of%20the%20President/Construction%20Projects.aspx), the demolition could include the following buildings:

« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 03:42:38 PM by ink »

Offline ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #133 on: January 24, 2017, 12:09:18 AM »
No!!!!!!
"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Offline ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #134 on: September 21, 2017, 04:51:29 PM »
​Request to demolish historic Greater Cincinnati building put on hold

An historic building in Greater Cincinnati received a reprieve from the wrecking ball this week.

The Journal-News reports that a request to demolish a building on the former Beckett Paper Mill property in Hamilton was tabled at the city’s request so the owner and city officials can create a plan for redevelopment of the industrial site.

More below:
https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/09/21/request-to-demolish-historicgreater-cincinnati.html
"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Offline eastvillagedon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #135 on: September 23, 2017, 11:34:15 AM »
well, this is great place in the town i have seen before, The unanimous vote by the Planning Commission against demolition indicates solid community support for preserving Painesville's early homes. Sometimes all it takes to galvanize community support is a success story like the Steele Mansion. you should see that!

I agree. I started a thread on the Steele Mansion from Day 1-- https://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php/topic,25205.105.html. But early on there was a lot of controversy over whether or not it should be saved, some small but very vocal opposition from the immediate neighbors, but as you said, lots of community support. It's great to see it thriving

Online MuRrAy HiLL

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #136 on: March 16, 2018, 08:50:39 PM »
Well, the old high school in Dover, OH is down now.  Why not the beautiful house across the street ...

Historic house to be torn down for Dover High School project

http://www.timesreporter.com/news/20180313/historic-house-to-be-torn-down-for-dover-high-school-project

Offline sligorover

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #137 on: April 05, 2018, 05:45:54 PM »
I recently wrote a post about some of the architectural losses in Dayton over the last decade as seen through Google Streetview. I figured this thread was a fairly close match so I thought I'd post them here too. I know several of these sites have been discussed (lamented) on this board as they happened. At least one is more recent. Without further ado:

Dayton Daily News and Schwind Buildings

Before: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7580714,-84.1933714,3a,90y,303.16h,105.34t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sgbQwZMjNEoUx6in6uNiA0w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

After: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7580983,-84.1933434,0a,82.2y,303.16h,105.34t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s8vmP5Njyq3u6vZOFul4vPw!2e0?source=apiv3

Another View on Ludlow St.

Before: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7576823,-84.1943893,0a,82.2y,38.31h,98.03t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sLVxTUXm8JD5l4U5_NWw4-g!2e0?source=apiv3

After: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7576851,-84.194422,0a,82.2y,38.31h,98.03t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sLFJgJ1VybGEQDlKigiVSVA!2e0?source=apiv3

Cluster on S Main St near I35

Before: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7535081,-84.1902119,0a,82.2y,224.23h,92.1t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sH8bwtyx2mP5HuxbezyY5iA!2e0?source=apiv3

After: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7534533,-84.1902604,0a,91.5y,229.74h,97.79t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sZNvddCNyD2ibMPSD9PnYkA!2e0?source=apiv3

"The Point" at Troy and Valley in Old North Dayton

Before: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7703948,-84.1750351,3a,82.2y,260.73h,89.57t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sHJcM0F_fR7gQdaYud1sp7w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

After: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7703956,-84.1750472,3a,82.2y,260.73h,89.57t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1soRmWiQFCOhhLqpTllLC8Mg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Farther up on Valley St

Before: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7698354,-84.1759251,3a,90y,339.34h,91.09t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s0O_-ZepA0IZLLaBDXLLNxQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

After: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7698381,-84.175903,3a,82.2y,339.34h,91.09t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sU4vdXATjSnvb0K-uxal86Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

The Ecki Building at Wayne and Wyoming in South Park

Before: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7476549,-84.1723435,3a,90y,35.8h,85.21t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s78pJW13tTDWid2JR-Rip_A!2e0!7i3328!8i1664

After: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7476521,-84.1724816,3a,82.2y,54.9h,96.44t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sT6_OQELNLCjWGKqdZ7ScKw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

One of many Brown St. blocks eaten up by Miami Valley hospital expansion

Before: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7451624,-84.1829028,0a,91.5y,249.53h,95.44t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sf-9Ddhv28Hq0q6q9TzHH5A!2e0?source=apiv3

After: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7451331,-84.1829956,3a,90y,246.45h,98.52t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sNGajGCm9bFAwgkvbxaEJxQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

So much of the West side has been lost too. Here's a spot on W Third St that was already far gone.

Before: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7552517,-84.2181806,0a,82.2y,109.27h,90.33t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sKyt7WjWPJ3CbpPYGExs7-g!2e0?source=apiv3

After: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7552285,-84.2181335,0a,82.2y,108.86h,88.97t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s-RH9JY3bw-qdnj7pjx2Hpw!2e0?source=apiv3

I'm also working on a new post with before and afters of new construction in the downtown area, so I'll come back with a more positive post soon. And if anyone is interested in reading more about Dayton, my blog is called Dayton Vistas (.com)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 09:27:28 AM by sligorover »

Offline ink

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #138 on: April 05, 2018, 05:50:25 PM »
^They tore down the cluster at Franklin and Main?!?

:(

Online BigDipper 80

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #139 on: April 05, 2018, 05:56:05 PM »
I didn't even know that cluster of buildings existed on Main, which is a shame because it really didn't look like it was in bad shape. Same with the buildings off Valley Street.

As I mentioned over on the DaytonVistas Facebook page (great blog by the way @sligorover) that I really hope that the demolition of commercial architecture has slowed down and that the city has woken up a bit to how important these streetscapes are. It's much harder to build fine-grained commercial streetscapes than new residential infill. My friend is working on a thesis for redevelopment of the Gem City Ice Cream building on West Third, and that building is in way worse shape than a lot of the other demolitions posted above.
“To an Ohio resident - wherever he lives - some other part of his state seems unreal.”

Offline ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #140 on: April 06, 2018, 12:20:30 AM »
Yup, a lot is gone.  Hell, I remember when most of those places were occupied.

Online GCrites80s

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • 1492 or 4,192?
« Reply #141 on: April 06, 2018, 12:49:04 AM »
Jesus, who has the money to demo all of this stuff with no redevelopment plans?

Online BigDipper 80

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #142 on: April 06, 2018, 09:29:47 AM »
^Dayton seems to be pretty decent at getting grant money for various things. In the case of the Land Bank, it’s an unfortunate skill to be good at.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 11:43:23 AM by BigDipper 80 »
“To an Ohio resident - wherever he lives - some other part of his state seems unreal.”

Offline Robuu

• Premium Member
  • Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #143 on: April 06, 2018, 11:21:17 AM »
Thanks @sligorover, this is very informative.

Offline buckeye1

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #144 on: April 08, 2018, 10:43:28 AM »
Toledo's former Saint Anthony Church faces demolition in 2018.

http://www.toledoblade.com/TomTroy/2018/02/01/Kuschwantz-s-last-remnants-slipping-away.html

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #145 on: May 13, 2018, 07:46:23 PM »
I was walking through Downtown Middletown today and noticed that this building is fenced-in and about to be demolished. A man on the street told me demolition begins tomorrow. I don't know much about Middletown but the building clearly appears to be an old theater and was most recently used as Boyd’s Used Furniture & Appliances. Here's a photo from 2008 taken by @ink:

« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 08:59:53 PM by taestell »

Offline ink

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #146 on: May 13, 2018, 08:56:42 PM »
^Yes, that is the old Studio (originally Strand) Theater. The theater closed in 1984 but the front portion (storefronts and upper offices) lasted longer.

I was in the building around five years ago, and it was in very rough shape. The neatest part was actually the old ladies room in the basement, with decorative plaster and granite partitions. The front portion (known as the Butler Building) was in much better shape and I always thought it might be salvageable even if the theater were removed.

The city is now spending more than a half million to demolish the building, for what will likely remain a vacant lot for years to come.

Interior photos here:
https://www.journal-news.com/news/middletown-will-pay-more-for-theater-demolition/HdkhYI2eBDKxFZPJ5l75PL/

Offline surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #147 on: June 20, 2018, 06:15:03 PM »
I'm proud/sad to say I've had the opportunity to work at both Cleveland Municipal Stadium and the Rubber Bowl.

https://www.cleveland.com/akron/index.ssf/2018/06/demolition_begins_on_80-year-o.html

Online MuRrAy HiLL

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #148 on: July 01, 2018, 10:51:51 AM »
These people need to be prosecuted for neglect,  Downtown Canton:

The Stark County Auditor’s Office records show the brick-on-masonry structure is 31,530 square feet and was built in 1890. It has been owned by Matz since 1992.

Matz could not be reached for comment.

Canton to demolish building after bricks rain down

http://www.cantonrep.com/news/20180329/canton-to-demolish-building-after-bricks-rain-down

Offline 327

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #149 on: July 01, 2018, 11:07:36 AM »
These people need to be prosecuted for neglect

Why aren't they?  Ownership is power, and with power is supposed to come responsibility.  The root cause of all this destruction, throughout Ohio, is failed government.  Yeah it's the owners too but it's thousands of those, all individually deciding that yes they can get away with this here.