Author Topic: What Happened to East Cleveland?  (Read 8542 times)

Offline Clevelander17

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: What Happened to East Cleveland?
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2010, 04:03:32 PM »
I think East Cleveland should merge with Cleveland, but it would have to be approved by both sides, because it wouldn't be an annexation.  East Cleveland is incorporated (obviously), so it may not be so simple.  And the school district situation is a completely different animal.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2016, 05:50:43 AM »
The toilet continues to swirl. Fewer than 9% voted. The mayor lost by 20 votes and the council president by 18...

East Cleveland votes to recall Mayor Gary Norton Jr. and City Council President Thomas Wheeler
http://www.newsnet5.com/news/local-news/cleveland-metro/east-cleveland-votes-to-recall-mayor-gary-norton-jr-and-councilman-thomas-wheeler
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 06:00:21 AM by KJP »
"Treat this (November 2018) election as if it's the last election in which you can fully exercise your democratic rights. Because it just might be." -- Margy Waller.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2016, 07:24:05 AM »
Courageous East Cleveland mayor Gary Norton narrowly recalled: https://t.co/5ZWLaJvVZO What next for troubled city?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 07:24:19 AM by KJP »
"Treat this (November 2018) election as if it's the last election in which you can fully exercise your democratic rights. Because it just might be." -- Margy Waller.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2016, 08:51:20 AM »
A friend just shared this:

Having been raised in EC and knowing some of the "players" there, im more afraid for the city's future. It took three recall votes in the span of a year to get the president out. The group has an axe to grind, and no real solutions to restore the city's finances and neighborhoods. Just pure, petty politics. And an unnecessary $30,000 that the city has to pay for this election when it's struggling to pay its bills.

Another person on Facebook wrote:

I knew Gary Norton through work, when he was an aide to one of the county commissioners. Intelligent, hard-working, efficient, and the opposite of arrogant and overbearing, as sycophants from the commissioners usually are. I have nothing but compassion for Mayor Norton. He can walk away from the most thankless task imaginable with pride.

Offline X

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Western Reserve Meadery
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2016, 01:15:47 PM »
Was there any particular issue that brought about their recall?  Was it the merger talks?

Offline clvlndr

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2016, 05:09:51 PM »
 I've been aware of Gary Norton when he was completing his urban planning studies while working with the County commissioners.  He seemed an engaged, bright guy who really was interested in moving EC forward for its own sake (as in, he wasn't deep in someone's pocket).  He partnered with UCI about upgrading the buffer areas with University Circle -- and he championed the Circle East town homes at Lakewood & Euclid.  He also moved EC toward merger with Cleveland because it is in the best interest of both cities even though a merger would have cost him his job... Gary Norton was the last best hope for EC.  Stupidity. 

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2018, 01:48:38 PM »

Offline Pugu

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2018, 02:50:31 PM »
Speaking of E Cleveland, I thought bankruptcy was imminent, but its still alive and kicking?

Online freethink

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2018, 12:02:52 AM »
People doing good work every day...without notice.

The Salvation Army Bringing Hope To East Cleveland (Video)

http://www.ideastream.org/news/the-salvation-army-bringing-hope-to-east-cleveland

Offline Dougal

• Great American Tower 665'
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2018, 02:47:37 PM »
If GE closes NELA Park, which looks increasingly likely, that loss of income tax will probably force EC to act.
There's nothing wrong with optimism, as long as you don't get your hopes up.

Offline Mov2Ohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2018, 09:45:04 AM »
If GE closes NELA Park, which looks increasingly likely, that loss of income tax will probably force EC to act.

It does, between them opening up the park for the first time in 60 years during the Holiday Lights, to the new banners that look back from the 1920s to present, it looks like they are trying to prepare the community for closure.

My questions is what does E.C. do? It has been on Fiscal Emergency with the State since the early 1990s, which other than being a stigma, doesn't seem to have helped much. On top of that it is run by a group of individuals that created a list of totally unrealistic demands to give to the city of Cleveland, if the city wanted to annex them. Businesses keep leaving, there are so many vacant properties in an embarrassing state of disrepair. The area really needs to be torn down and rebuilt, and maybe a bankruptcy is the start to that end.

Offline Pugu

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2018, 11:31:34 AM »
I had heard that some Chinese companies were looking at buying GE Lighting's remaining assets. If this is the case, would they keep the place open as their US HQ? Assuming they'd do the manufacturing in China.   

"It has been on Fiscal Emergency with the State" -- is this just a warning list?  It doesn't sound like it means much. What is it called when the state actually takes over? What was the role of the State in Cleveland after default occurred?

Offline Mov2Ohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2018, 11:49:26 AM »
I had heard that some Chinese companies were looking at buying GE Lighting's remaining assets. If this is the case, would they keep the place open as their US HQ? Assuming they'd do the manufacturing in China.   

"It has been on Fiscal Emergency with the State" -- is this just a warning list?  It doesn't sound like it means much. What is it called when the state actually takes over? What was the role of the State in Cleveland after default occurred?

That's what I want to know... so your city is on the Fiscal Emergency List, what does that mean? Does the state step in with ideas to fix the issue, or creative ways to turn what assets the city as into revenue generators, or is it just a warning? You would think that if it is just a warning, being on that list for so long would trigger some other State intervention, prior to a bankruptcy. Otherwise what good was the warning?

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2018, 11:57:47 AM »
The state offered Cleveland $10 million to take East Cleveland. Whoever came up with that offer needs to personally tour East Cleveland. And not just the one-hour, drive-by tour. Take the tour in which you talk with front-line public works employees about the state of that city's sewers, streets, building conditions, etc. And that's when they'll realize that upping the offer to $100 million is probably still short-changing the coming rebuild process.

Offline Oldmanladyluck

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2018, 12:46:20 PM »
There's nothing that EC would be able to do if GE picks up and leaves Nela Park.  Something I remember from Gary Norton maybe two years ago was a statistic he mentioned during a neighborhood meeting... that out of the 16,000 people who live in EC, 4,000 actually have jobs.  I don't know if there's any chance EC will survive if GE moves. 

Time for me to do a photo thread of EC... though the city has been struggling for a long time, there are folks who have been there for years and are still prideful of their town.  Same as many other east-side neighborhoods in Cleveland. 

Online mu2010

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2018, 02:00:26 PM »

That's what I want to know... so your city is on the Fiscal Emergency List, what does that mean? Does the state step in with ideas to fix the issue, or creative ways to turn what assets the city as into revenue generators, or is it just a warning? You would think that if it is just a warning, being on that list for so long would trigger some other State intervention, prior to a bankruptcy. Otherwise what good was the warning?

The auditor of state has three escalating "levels" - fiscal caution, fiscal watch, and fiscal emergency. If you get to fiscal emergency they place you under a special state appointed commission that is supposed to help you make a plan to get out of it. Sometimes the state makes solvency loans to help local gov's get out of their hole if they think it could help. But that's pretty much the extent of their powers.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/118

Offline 327

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2018, 03:10:26 PM »
There is precedent for the state simply dissolving a municipality, even when voters there opposed it.  A new legislative act may be required but that's not insurmountable. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Rome,_Ohio

Online mu2010

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2018, 03:15:27 PM »
It could be an issue with the state constitution though - the "home rule" provisions... as was part of the challenge that New Rome filed against their dissolution, but the judge denied on the grounds of New Rome's leaders' misconduct. Any of our resident attorneys have an opinion on this?

https://www.coollaw.com/blog/2015/03/home-rule-authority-in-ohio-municipalities.shtml

https://www.ohiobar.org/ForPublic/Resources/LawYouCanUse/Pages/Ohio's-Constitution-Gives-Municipalities-Home-Rule-Self-Government-Authority.aspx

Offline 327

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2018, 03:32:10 PM »
It could be an issue with the state constitution though - the "home rule" provisions... as was part of the challenge that New Rome filed against their dissolution, but the judge denied on the grounds of New Rome's leaders' misconduct. Any of our resident attorneys have an opinion on this?

Yes.  Home rule could be overcome here on similar grounds, and because East Cleveland's problems have extraterritorial effects.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2018, 12:38:41 PM »
Chapman Ave. East Cleveland. A small clip of the condition of the city.
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1663442280408971&id=982933835126489

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2018, 12:17:52 PM »
An article in today's WSJ says GE may try a new approach to selling its unwanted businesses, namely spin-off or merger with smaller companies with GE stockholders ending up with shares in several companies.  The author noted that GE Lighting has been for sale for a year with no takers.  The new approach makes it seem more possible that Nela Park could survive intact, perhaps as the headquarters for a new entity.

I wish somebody (the County? a new governor in Columbus?) would take an interest in saving East Cleveland from itself.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/ge-explores-hybrid-deals-spinoffs-in-strategic-review-1523525400?mod=searchresults&page=1&pos=5

Ohio doesn't think East Cleveland is worth more than $10 million or else the state would have offered Cleveland more (realistically 10x more) to merge with it.

Offline YABO713

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2018, 01:49:07 PM »
I drove through "Terrace" St on my way to Cleveland Heights court yesterday. Honestly, the worst potholes I've ever seen. Some were 5 feet wide by 12-18 inches deep. I had to rock my car out of one in front of an abandoned high rise.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2018, 02:01:20 PM »
I drove through "Terrace" St on my way to Cleveland Heights court yesterday. Honestly, the worst potholes I've ever seen. Some were 5 feet wide by 12-18 inches deep. I had to rock my car out of one in front of an abandoned high rise.

Now you know what Ukrainian roads are like.

Offline 1400 Sycamore

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2018, 07:32:46 PM »
I drove out Carnegie Ave from town almost to East Cleveland Monday. Jeez, there are so many vacant commercial buildings. It looked just like Spring Grove Ave. in Cincinnati did years ago. There is a lot to work with out there. Very cool old industrial buildings. Probably some brownfields though. Only went as far as the Clinic.

Offline Cleburger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2018, 08:24:20 PM »
I drove out Carnegie Ave from town almost to East Cleveland Monday. Jeez, there are so many vacant commercial buildings. It looked just like Spring Grove Ave. in Cincinnati did years ago. There is a lot to work with out there. Very cool old industrial buildings. Probably some brownfields though. Only went as far as the Clinic.

So you never made it to "East Cleveland" proper, which is a separate incorporated municipality from Cleveland.  It is east of University Circle.

Online mu2010

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2018, 09:44:48 PM »
Yes @1400 Sycamore you were more properly driving through Midtown. The building at 55th and Carnegie has been the subject of some discussion lately if you want to know more!

http://www.cleveland.com/expo/erry-2018/03/04bbf6163a/inside_clevelands_vacant_warne.html#incart_m-rpt-2   

https://www.urbanohio.com/forum/index.php/topic,3435.msg903615.html#msg903615

Offline 1400 Sycamore

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2018, 11:16:57 PM »
I didn't make it to East Cleveland. Next time. June.

But, a lot of cool old buildings ready for development if they aren't too dirty. We have some in Cincinnati that just are too much to clean up. the old Lunkenheimer complex is said to be too dirty to make into anything useful.

It didn't occur to me, is the "Carnegie" in Carnegie Ave. one and the same? I was stunned to see a steel beam in one of most trendy distillery/pubs in Cincinnati stamped "Carnegie Steel 1898" next to my table.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2018, 12:41:03 AM »
If Carnegie Avenue through Midtown shocked you, East Cleveland might shake your faith in humanity. See my April 1 posting, which is no April fool's joke.

Offline freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #58 on: April 16, 2018, 12:47:05 AM »
If Carnegie Avenue through Midtown shocked you, East Cleveland might shake your faith in humanity. See my April 1 posting, which is no April fool's joke.

I think Woodand Ave from E55th to 116th is the most depressing stretch in Cuyahoga County.

Offline Mendo

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #59 on: April 16, 2018, 12:48:23 AM »
What a shame those buildings were been abandoned like that. With no hope of being repurposed either. The only reason they are standing because there is no money for demolition.