PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Modern roundabouts in Ohio  (Read 342 times)

Offline ragerunner

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: Modern roundabouts in Ohio
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2006, 01:33:03 PM »
While roundabouts maybe new to the midwest, Florida and other areas of the country are building these all over the place. While roundabouts are not for every intersection, they would function for most intersections better than a 4 way stop, stoplight, etc... Just because something is new to an area doesn't make it wrong. To learn more about the advantages of roundabouts the US Department of Transportation has published a research document(s) at the following link.http://www.tfhrc.gov/safety/00068.htm

Offline mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2006, 01:45:31 PM »
welcome ragerunner. i think most of us are saying these are not new to ohio at all. its just another name hyped up by some developers for a traffic circle or rotary. they seem to be a revived fad --- they would prob go well linked with a new lifestyle mall i would imagine - heh!

Offline ragerunner

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2006, 01:57:45 PM »
First, their is a difference between a roundabout and a traffic circle. What was constructed in the past 60's, 70's etc... were traffic circles not roundabouts. Second, they have the capacity to do a lot more than just look nice, they have real economical, environmental, and traffic flow impacts that if most communities would take the time to educated themselves on would be building these things right and left.

Offline noozer

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2006, 02:08:19 PM »
Yes... welcome ragerunner!

Another possible benefit at busy intersections may be a reduction in "t-bone" collisions.  In that regard,, roundabouts would seem to be a better solution than these idiotic traffic cameras... which may reduce "t-bone" crashes, but have shown to increase rear-end collisions caused by people stopping suddenly to avoid rolling through red lights.

Offline ragerunner

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2006, 02:34:04 PM »
Absolutely,
Roundabouts can greatly reduce accidents and deaths.
Information from the US Transportation Guide on Roundabouts (link posted above)

Average annual crash frequencies at 11 U.S.
intersections converted to roundabouts.
Type of Percent Change
Roundabout  Sites Total  Injury   PDO
Single-Lane    8     51%   73%    32%
Multi-Lane      3     29%   31%    10%
Total           11     37%   51%    29%

Source: Jacquemart, G. Synthesis of Highway Practice
264: Modern Roundabout Practice in the United States.
National Cooperative Highway Research Program.
Washington, D.C.: National Academy Press, 1998.

Offline ragerunner

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2006, 02:35:15 PM »
Sorry,
Those numbers are all reductions. I forgot to add the - in.

Offline buildingcincinnati

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2006, 11:46:18 PM »
From the 8/22/06 ABJ:

PHOTO: Painted arrows on Ridgewood Road reveal the traffic pattern as motorists approach the new roundabout at Hametown Road on Monday, Aug. 21, 2006, in Copley Township, Ohio.   Paul Tople/Akron Beacon Journal

What comes around goes around
In a roundabout way, dangerous intersection is made safer in Copley

By Bob Dyer

Don't believe the hype.

The Cleveland media spent Monday morning crowing about "the first modern roundabout in Northeast Ohio'' opening at 5 a.m. in the city's Tremont district.

Wrong.

Once again, the Cleveland media act as if "Northeast Ohio'' extends only as far south as Brecksville.

Let it be known that the first modern roundabout in Northeast Ohio actually opened at 3:15 p.m. Friday in suburban Akron...

Bob Dyer's column usually appears Fridays. Reach him at 330-996-3580 or bdyer@thebeaconjournal.com.

http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/news/15330962.htm?source=rss&channel=ohio_news
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 11:34:49 PM by Mildtraumatic »

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2006, 05:50:45 AM »
Summit County Engineer Greg Bachman has been touting these things as the best engineering concept to have come down the pike in ages. Until now, his proclamations have been met mostly by blank stares, simply because the nearest roundabout is in the Columbus suburb of Dublin.

That's not true either. There are numerous roundabouts in Cleveland's eastern suburbs, and one was built in the 1990s on West Road at Forestview Drive in Olmsted Falls as part of a new housing development (Forestview).
"Give me control of a nation's money supply, and I care not who writes the laws." -- Mayer Amschel Rothschild, founder of the European banking dynasty.

Offline zaceman

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2006, 06:29:42 AM »
i guess its claimed that Dublin had the first ohio roundabout...?? if thats the case then what the heck is that thing i drive through off MLK to get into university circle?  And yea theres even some old roundabouts in Parma/Parma Heights if im not mistaken

Offline Magyar

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2006, 11:04:03 AM »
Burton's roundabout (around the city square) has been around for forever and a day.

Offline mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2006, 12:42:50 PM »
nice they are coming back ,but dont think the are inventing the wheel here. there are many of these in smaller towns all over ne ohio and even all over ohio (troy, somerset, taramack circle development in northland columbus). the ne ohio versions go back to the preferred style of the western reserve/connecticut history. and seems like they forgot all about university circle? don't ya love lazy journalism and developer, etc. hype?

Offline smackem81

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2006, 02:18:30 PM »
Seems like a pissing contest between cities. Is it really that big of a deal when a city gets a round about?

Offline zaceman

« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2006, 02:21:28 PM »
not really, well id just rather see some accurrancy and maybe a little less hype about something thats been around for a while

altho if you want a pissing contest you should check out the threads about which college or university is the best in ohio

Offline RiverViewer

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2006, 02:31:42 PM »
^Which one?  Aren't there about eighteen of them now?  Jeesle...

Offline urbanlife

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2006, 03:16:25 PM »
has anyone driven the new w14 roundabout at steelyard commons? 

i was through the ridgewood rd one on saturday.  looks great, would like to see more of these go up instead on more traffic lights.

Offline ink

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2006, 05:39:40 PM »
I nearly found myself in an accident a couple weeks ago in the roundabout in Bridgewater Falls, two cars were going the wrong way! We had to stop, and they made me back up!

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2006, 09:10:25 PM »
nice they are coming back ,but dont think the are inventing the wheel here. there are many of these in smaller towns all over ne ohio and even all over ohio (troy, somerset, taramack circle development in northland columbus). the ne ohio versions go back to the preferred style of the western reserve/connecticut history. and seems like they forgot all about university circle? don't ya love lazy journalism and developer, etc. hype?

They explain the reasoning behind the term "modern roundabout" in the article.

Offline JDD941

« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2006, 01:55:24 PM »
Here is a question.....in a round about, isn't the traffic IN the circle supposed to have the right of way?   It seems some of the prior round abouts mentioned, the traffic in it has to yield to oncoming traffic....which to me seems idiotic (plus it does that disqualify it as a true round about?)

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2006, 04:25:53 PM »
^ As I always understood it, traffic entering the roundabout must yield.  That's the only way it makes sense.

Offline RiverViewer

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2006, 08:27:43 PM »
In most of the traffic circles I'm familiar with, the major road's through-traffic gets the right-of-way.  So in Sharon Center, the traffic either northbound or southbound on 94 gets to cruise straight through; the traffic either eastbound or westbound on 162 yields.  These are different, because instead of worrying about which road is doing the intersecting, all enterers yield...

So it's all right-hand turns, which are safer and faster; the rules are clear (just yield if you're coming up on it); and there's no unnecessary stopping...very cool.

Offline Magyar

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2006, 09:04:28 PM »

Ask KJP.  He's the journalist around here.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2006, 09:47:21 PM »
Like we should ask you to speak for all drunken hicks as to why they say stupid things to incite fighting?
"Give me control of a nation's money supply, and I care not who writes the laws." -- Mayer Amschel Rothschild, founder of the European banking dynasty.

Offline mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2006, 10:19:55 PM »

yeah and i called developer bs. been there, done that.

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2006, 10:34:57 PM »
^ Well, you may disagree with his point.  I disagreed with the usage of the term "lazy", because the journalist went out of his way to explain his point.  "Wrong", I might go with.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2006, 10:35:32 PM by grasscat »

Offline mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2006, 03:01:36 AM »
no, lazy because he could have done a better job with the history of these things. after all, the big picture is that they are all over the place old and new, large and small. instead, looks like he fell for the developer and local political hype about it too much. and dont give me that roundabout is different from a traffic circle nonsense. to put it in fashion terms, that's just the new black. bah.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2006, 03:04:21 AM by mrnyc »

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2006, 06:59:37 AM »
I had a problem with his point because he said I should be asked to speak for all journalists, including those who are lazy and hype crazy. That's like me asking a mayor why politicians are corrupt and grandstand on issues, or asking an attorney why they chase ambulances, or asking a rural citizens why they're drunk and uneducated. If you don't have the ability to judge people one at a time, then spare us the offense of your shortcomings.

Offline Magyar

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2006, 12:09:09 PM »
Like we should ask you to speak for all drunken hicks as to why they say stupid things to incite fighting?

Or you for all the snobish urbanites who proclam themselves to be better than the rest of society?

Offline RiverViewer

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2006, 12:13:10 PM »
Personally, I speak for all overweight, out of shape drunk guys who pretend to love the outdoors despite never actually, you know, camping or hiking and stuff...
« Last Edit: August 25, 2006, 12:13:46 PM by RiverViewer »

Offline JohnOSU99

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2006, 11:53:50 PM »
The older "roundabouts" mentioned (troy, somerset, etc) are Traffic Circles which aren't the same as a roundabout.

If you live or work in Dublin, you better get used to them because the City Engineer loves them and there are several being designed right now.  I'm designing the roundabout at Avery Road and Tuswell Drive (between Shier-Rings and Woerner-Temple).  The longterm plan for Avery Road is to have a roundabout at all three of the above stated intersections.  Dublin is also looking to place roundabouts at the ends of the exit ramps coming off of US33.

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #59 on: September 05, 2006, 05:01:11 PM »
From ThisWeek Hilliard, 8/31/06:

Roundabouts discussed with school board
Thursday, August 31, 2006
By CATHY WOGAN
ThisWeek Staff Writer

The leveling of buildings along Cemetery Road prompted speculation that triangle roundabouts were being installed, according to Hilliard Mayor Don Schonhardt.

Schonhardt, joined by Service Director Butch Seidle and Traffic Engineer Letty Schamp, addressed the roundabout issue during a Monday night meeting of the Hilliard City Schools Board of Education...

http://www.thisweeknews.com/index.php?story=sites/thisweeknews/083106/Hilliard/News/083106-News-215626.html
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 11:39:30 PM by Mildtraumatic »