PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. Also, check your spam folder. *****

We are still having a lot of users try to log on before resetting your password. You will continue to get an error until you reset your password!!

Author Topic: Yet Another Reason to Love Fox News...  (Read 1473 times)

Offline westerninterloper

• Rhodes Tower 629'
Re: Yet Another Reason to Love Fox News...
« Reply #240 on: February 11, 2017, 11:37:30 AM »
I think the article makes some valid points.

Anyway, it's just an opinion piece. It no more reflects Fox News than my crazy views reflect Urban Ohio.

Except your posts aren't from the owner of UO, and news organizations usually publish editorials that reflect their views and/or that of their viewers. That wouldn't have been published by any other major network. CBN, maybe.

Offline David

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #241 on: February 11, 2017, 01:34:37 PM »
Well, I don't think the article was written by the owner of Fox. I can see eye to eye with you on your other point though; assuming Fox is highly selective in terms of what it chooses to publish based on whether or not opinions reflect their agenda. I don't venture over there very often so I'm not the most qualified person to speak on their opinion selections.

I wonder why we don't talk about feminism more on here? Is there a thread for that? I'm going to check into that; it's an interesting subject. I connected with the article for a couple of reasons. Noticing the masculine/feminine dynamic (or lack thereof) in my own relationship and seeing how it has caused conflict (my girlfriend of 3 1/2 years is pretty masculine) and I think it has a lot to do with being raised in a household where her dad was the bread-winner and makes extremely good money and works 60 hours a week but her mom was a stay-at-home mom and I think she's been heavily pressured by her mom to be this strong, independent (and very masculine) woman who needs to accomplish all these things that she never did. Her mom thinks she did nothing with her life because sadly, she doesn't place much value on her own feminine energy. Nurturing, raising two wonderful kids, working the p/t jobs she has/had, being heavily involved in volunteering at their church and in the community. It's interesting that her and her sister both identify as essentially hardcore Feminists but by today's definition, I really don't think Feminism has much to do with Feminine energy at all. I think most men would agree that Feminine energy is extremely powerful. Masculine and Feminine are both needed to achieve harmony. It's essentially Yin and Yang.

I read an absolutely mind-blowing book that I've mentioned before, by a Jungian Psychologist, called "Addiction to Perfection - The Still Unravished Bride." She touches on many things like eating disorders and addictions that stem from childhood and parental expectations but she also spoke of the early Feminist movement and 'women being robbed of their femininity.' By making the feminist agenda about proving that women can do anything men can do, you're essentially degrading and suppressing the power of women and the Feminine energy that they either inherently possess or are ascribed and learn (the cause I think is actually irrelevant.) To me, Feminine energy is empathy, emotional intelligence, communication, collaboration, sensuality, sexuality, affection, patience, radiance, and just so many other wonderful, powerful things that the Feminist movement doesn't have much to do with at all.

Ha. Back to bias... Can this of an Open Forum apply more to this forum? I've been banned twice on this site for being politically incorrect and for lack of fluffier words in my arsenal, adhering to UO's agenda. Once for cursing out Hts121 (which I admit was just childish, a waste of memory allocation and bandwidth and a waste of everyone's time who read it) but also for talking about patterns of experiences with Black customers (in the service industry) in the racism thread when I genuinely just wanted to have an open conversation about the topic I brought up - from both ends of the spectrum and everything in between.  The experiences I mentioned were not just my own but reflect the experiences and attitudes of many people who work in the service industry. Those interactions become a major source of resentment and perpetuation of stereotypes, for many, many of my friends who work in the industry but it was deemed offensive and I was censored and banned. I feel like it's okay on this site to talk opinions on touchy subjects like race issues as long as as it isn't too real. It has to be emotionally distant enough and enough from reality, for everyone. The previous topic before my post was everyone's thoughts about whether or not an Asian band should be allowed to call themselves "The Slants" or whatever which essentially has very little to do with actual racism and affects the lives of and is pertinent to... almost nobody. I believe in an open society and an open forum, even if the owners of said forum/outlet have an agenda - as long as there's no personal attacks or extremely foul language. I just don't think you can expect to ever solve any of the world's problems if people aren't even allowed to address the issues and express their views and experiences. Anyway, I digress...

I just don't fully understand the hoopla about Fox news and the hypocrisy in their claims to be "fair and balanced." I don't watch or read it much but I know Bill O'Reilly is their top dog or at least second or third at this point. I used to hate Bill O'Reilly by default because I went on the opinions of my liberal friends but so many times after actually watching his show, I've seen him sympathize and empathize with many people at the opposite end of the spectrum, being HIGHLY critical of Donald Trump and the alt-right. I've seen him highly critical of Trump, to Trump's face. I've seen Megyn Kelly do the same, including call him out on being sexist (although she just left and maybe it had to do with her attitudes not reflecting their agenda?) Hannity is obviously a douche but my point is I see their pundits inviting left-wingers like Michael Moore to their shows for open debates, all the time and really seem to try to connect with them and attempt to find common ground. Hell, Glen Beck did a complete 180! I've seen him on Fox admitting all of the horrible assumptions he made about Obama and also saying, "Everything is going to be okay, we made it through 8 years of Obama, we'll make it through 4 years of Donald Trump." Glen Beck said that! The alt-right is essentially the extreme-right - lets be real and Fox does seem to provide an open forum for detesting extremism. I just feel like it's been deemed cool to trash on Fox News and people are making them out to be worse than they are. You guys are going to give me hell for this - but really, if Fox was as bad as some on the left make them out to be, I really don't think the channel would be as successful as they are. Sure, they're probably the only channel that you could label "conservative" but GENERALLY (and I say this as someone who has been losing faith in humanity after Trump's inauguration...) people are capable of critical thinking and exercise good judgement when making choices about products they consume. The fact is, Fox News kills other channels in ratings and it's just not reasonable to assume that it's due to fear-mongering. If that were the case, InfoWars would probably have four channels on cable by now.

Online jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #242 on: February 11, 2017, 02:58:02 PM »
Fox News appeals to the sort of woman who had an alcoholic husband who beat her but even 20 years after he dies she's still out there telling everyone how great he was.  They ignore all the day-to-day misery and still trumpet him as being what they thought he was when they were dating and the way they presented him as being to their friends, family, and people who they didn't even like. 

Online taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #243 on: February 22, 2017, 01:55:25 PM »

He's gotta be talking about himself, right?

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #244 on: February 26, 2017, 07:44:26 AM »
America will never be destroyed from the outside. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #245 on: February 26, 2017, 07:48:52 AM »
Fake Sweden expert on Fox News – has criminal convictions in US, no connection to Swedish security
http://www.dn.se/nyheter/varlden/fake-sweden-expert-on-fox-news-has-criminal-convictions-in-us-no-connection-to-swedish-security/

Offline Hts121

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #246 on: February 27, 2017, 10:31:39 AM »
^Fake news by the libtard press.  They brought a French guy on the show to vouch for the Swedish 'expert'

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #247 on: March 10, 2017, 09:54:05 AM »
From #HanoiJane to #MoscowSean....

When did you wake up and realize you were a stooge of America's enemy @seanhannity? https://t.co/F3ttd1RkFQ

Online GCrites80s

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • 1492 or 4,192?
« Reply #248 on: March 10, 2017, 10:10:06 AM »
^Fake news by the libtard press.  They brought a French guy on the show to vouch for the Swedish 'expert'

I'm still laughing at this

Offline down4cle

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #249 on: March 10, 2017, 10:19:20 AM »
If a Russia and Trump collusion is ever proven, Hannity and all the other Russia defenders will look stupid. 

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #250 on: March 13, 2017, 09:17:01 PM »
Here’s how Fox News covered the CBO report that 24 million people would lose their insurance https://t.co/1BWtfa8EO0

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #251 on: March 14, 2017, 01:00:49 PM »
Glenn Beck wants to heal the America he divided — one hug at a time https://t.co/Fhu4gcC6Pn

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #252 on: March 19, 2017, 03:22:51 PM »
No laughing matter. At the core of white supremacy [which is violent and genocidal] is the belief that other races are inferior/not human. https://t.co/8wUNtNwIzj

Offline C-Dawg Njaim

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #253 on: March 20, 2017, 06:19:30 PM »
From http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2016/09/13/ohio-university-disavows-former-fox-news-chief.html:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Old news, but man is that crazy. I almost cost OU that sponsorship and was nearly suspended from school for it. I also nearly got kicked out of my major in Scripps. It was a great lesson to learn at a young age. Don't mess with big media, but more importantly, never underestimate the personal vendetta of a tenured professor just phoning it in until retirement.

*Luckily, I had some of my better professors and the head of the school save my a$$!

**For those who don't know, Fox News had a very long and tight relationship with Scripps at OU. Ailes loved OU and donated a ton of money to Scripps School of Communication programs.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 06:25:06 PM by C-Dawg »

Offline down4cle

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #254 on: March 20, 2017, 08:55:21 PM »
Fox News has banned Napolitano from the air indefinitely.  I guess he is just too fake for the fake news network. 

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #255 on: March 20, 2017, 11:47:37 PM »
Yep.... Fox News Channel pulls analyst Andrew Napolitano from air after it wasn't able to substantiate UK spying commentary.
https://apnews.com/82a8c0ba374b40d3ad2c0f5ada27c14d
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 11:48:30 PM by KJP »

Offline audidave

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #256 on: March 21, 2017, 01:31:17 AM »
Thats good news about liars being fired on faux.

Offline BCCLE1

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #257 on: March 21, 2017, 11:01:54 AM »

What would be better is to fire all the liars on ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, MSNBC, and other leftist news media. Oh wait, that would mean all those stations would have to go off the air, Hallelujah!

Offline down4cle

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #258 on: March 21, 2017, 11:08:26 AM »
Only Fox has been caught spreading Russian propaganda that has caused an international incident.  Nice whataboutism comrade.

Offline Htsguy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #259 on: March 21, 2017, 11:12:48 AM »

What would be better is to fire all the liars on ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, MSNBC, and other leftist news media. Oh wait, that would mean all those stations would have to go off the air, Hallelujah!

Hey BBCLE1, hurry up and get outside, some kids are playing on your lawn.

Online GCrites80s

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • 1492 or 4,192?
« Reply #260 on: March 21, 2017, 12:51:39 PM »
Oh leftist CBS, with its crime-obsessed procedurals and 24/7 pill commercials.

Online taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #261 on: March 21, 2017, 02:31:21 PM »

Hey BBCLE1, hurry up and get outside, some kids are playing on your lawn.

Pro tip: If you think literally every media outlet is "leftist", your views are probably at the extreme right.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #262 on: March 26, 2017, 03:52:05 PM »
Well, duh! Hannity is a pap smear. Veteran journalist Ted Koppel tells Sean Hannity he is bad for America. https://t.co/Rx0F2dvizQ https://t.co/2X59P2ynS0

Offline David

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #263 on: March 26, 2017, 04:31:24 PM »
Yep.... Fox News Channel pulls analyst Andrew Napolitano from air after it wasn't able to substantiate UK spying commentary.
https://apnews.com/82a8c0ba374b40d3ad2c0f5ada27c14d

Sounds like a very responsible decision on Fox's part.

Considering it's Fox News we're talking about, I really expected this thread to be about critiquing specific Fox News content that entails disinformation/lies or "Fake news," in which case we have reason to be concerned as millions of misinformed people are watching. Instead, it's just information about what's going on internally in the company which I'm sure happens at every company that big. Sexual harassment and bad apples who go on to be held accountable and get fired. Also generalizations about "Faux News" with no basis for the claims. Hell, I don't even see any video clips of content on here and it's easy to embed a YouTube video on this site. I still contend that for the most part, Fox News really does try to be fair and balanced. Just as fair or more as any other major station. Of course they're conservative and you might not like their agenda - for the most part, I don't either. However, from what I've seen, their pundits are good about explaining the news and bringing on people who represent opposing view-points and they're good about letting them speak their mind and defend themselves.

I've watched Anderson Cooper more than say... Bill O'Reilly and I've never seen Anderson Cooper report the news, then give his opinion and even going rogue, critiquing his own party or preferred president, then going on to interview someone with opposing viewpoints, responding and following up on what they said, the way Bill O'Reilly does. Anderson seems like a robot who just reports the news fed to him, then interviews someone on the opposing side by asking specific scripted questions meant to make them look bad or wrong, usually completely ignoring their response and going on to ask question after question meant to make them look bad/wrong. He always has that look on his face like he's deeply concerned and engaged but it's so obvious he's barely listening to the person he's interviewing.

Then you have Rachel Maddow who acted like Trump's 2005 tax returns were going to be the smoking gun and get him impeached when all it did was show how bad sensationalism and rhetoric can get, for the sake of ratings and ad revenue. Her and Keith Olbermann are equally ridiculous. I had to hear her prattle on and on for like 20 minutes about Trump, then sit through a commercial break, before hearing absolutely nothing informative about Trump's tax Returns. Us knowing how much he made that year was in no way shocking, especially since he's in the volatile real estate market. Keith Olbermann is the same way. No one wants to hear you prattle on with your sensationalist, emotional appeal/logical fallacy speech for 20 minutes; just tell us the d@mn news and act like a rational human being that people are going to feel like they can trust.

Online Cleburger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #264 on: March 26, 2017, 06:56:07 PM »
LOL note the Italian conservative guy who is going to "hitch his wagons" to the Russians rather than mainstream Europe.    If Fox is trying to help the Trump case, this story doesn't help.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/5373058083001/?#sp=show-clips

Offline Hts121

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #265 on: March 29, 2017, 01:50:33 PM »
Trump tells his follower on Twitter to watch Judge Jeanine at 9pm on Friday.  She starts off her show blaming Paul Ryan for Trump's failure to pass healthcare reform, and demanded that Ryan resign in a lengthy opening monologue.  Coincidence?

Yesterday, Trump tweets that the Clintons should be looked into for something to do with Russia and uranium.  Hannity focuses his show on the Clintons and uranium/Russia, of course vastly distorting the facts behind that uranium deal in which Hillary, in 2010, was one of nine agency heads to sign off.  Coincidence?

The WH is in full-fledged panic mode and its propaganda machine is working overtime to try to deflect on the WH's behalf.  It would all be very amusing if t weren't for the fact that FNC has such widespread influence in the American electorate. 

Offline Columbo

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #266 on: March 30, 2017, 01:09:29 PM »
2 Black Women Sue Fox News, Claiming Racial Discrimination

In a lawsuit filed Tuesday night in State Supreme Court in the Bronx, two black women said they were subjected to “top-down racial harassment” in the Fox News payroll department by Judith Slater, the company’s longtime comptroller.

The women — Tichaona Brown, a payroll manager, and Tabrese Wright, a payroll coordinator — accused Ms. Slater of making numerous racially charged comments, including suggestions that black men were “women beaters” and that black people wanted to physically harm white people.

They also said that Ms. Slater claimed that black employees mispronounced words, such as “mother,” “father,” “month” and “ask,” and that she urged Ms. Brown to say those words aloud in a meeting.  Ms. Wright said Ms. Slater once asked if her three children were all “fathered by the same man.”

MORE: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/28/business/media/fox-news-racial-discrimination-lawsuit-slater.html
#SaveTheCrew -- https://savethecrew.com/

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #267 on: April 03, 2017, 09:06:03 PM »
Bill O’Reilly Thrives at Fox News, Even as Harassment Settlements Add Up
About $13 million has been paid out over the years
to address complaints from women about Mr.
O’Reilly’s behavior. He denies the claims have merit.

By EMILY STEEL and MICHAEL S. SCHMIDTAPRIL 1, 2017

For nearly two decades, Bill O’Reilly has been Fox News’s top asset, building the No. 1 program in cable news for a network that has pulled in billions of dollars in revenues for its parent company, 21st Century Fox.

Behind the scenes, the company has repeatedly stood by Mr. O’Reilly as he faced a series of allegations of sexual harassment or other inappropriate behavior.

An investigation by The New York Times has found a total of five women who have received payouts from either Mr. O’Reilly or the company in exchange for agreeing to not pursue litigation or speak about their accusations against him. The agreements totaled about $13 million.

MORE:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/01/business/media/bill-oreilly-sexual-harassment-fox-news.html

Mon Apr 3, 2017 | 8:01pm EDT
Fox News, Ailes face another sexual harassment lawsuit
By Daniel Wiessner

A Democratic political consultant and Fox News contributor on Monday sued the network and its former chairman, Roger Ailes, accusing them of denying her a permanent hosting job after she rebuffed Ailes' sexual advances.

Julie Roginsky also said in her lawsuit filed in New York state court that a misogynistic culture at Fox News, a unit of Twenty-First Century Fox Inc, had not changed since Ailes resigned last year after a separate sexual harassment lawsuit by former anchor Gretchen Carlson.

Susan Estrich, a lawyer for Ailes, said in a statement that Roginsky's claims were "total hogwash."

MORE:
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-twenty-first-fox-lawsuit-idUSKBN1751Z4
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 09:08:37 PM by KJP »

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #268 on: April 03, 2017, 10:29:38 PM »
Mercedes-Benz pulling ads from "The O'Reilly Factor" http://hill.cm/KA92xG2

Offline David

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #269 on: April 03, 2017, 11:17:23 PM »
FIVE different sexual harassment cases? I could understand that you're the unfortunate victim of one...or maybe even possibly two over the span of 20 years as a result of being a high profile celebrity... but five woman coming forward?! Come on. Yeah right.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 11:18:32 PM by David »