PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Chicago: Developments and News  (Read 3501 times)

Offline Hayward

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: Chicago, IL Developments
« Reply #150 on: April 02, 2012, 08:59:11 PM »
Coast at LSE / The New East Side

AMLI River North
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 08:59:52 PM by NorthAndre »

Offline jeffinmichigan

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #151 on: April 04, 2012, 09:33:51 PM »
Could you fill me in a bit on the K station project. So is this project in the west Loop neighborhood? Are they building a complete cap over the highway similar to what occured in Columbus?

K-Station is actually in the Fulton River Neighborhood which is directly west of River North...though just south of what's normally considered the WL.  The cap over the freeway was built quite a long time ago.  For awhile, they've just parked trailers and equipment over top of it.  What they are doing now is cantilevering parts of the building over the cap to join up with the Halsted viaduct.

K-Station...or Kinzie Station is a huge complex of buildings by the same developer, all of varying style, size and height, and residential type.  The project also includes some retail and a full grocery store. 

These buildings have been elevated in future anticipation of Chicago getting light rail

Future Light Rail ROW

If it weren't for the fencing or gates, you could almost walk all the way to Navy Pier through the basements of these buildings Hopefully someday they'll build it.

NorthAndre, there used to be a rail line operated by the Chicago North Western Railway which, essentially, ran along the north bank of the river.  It crossed the North Branch and went under the Merchandise Mart-providing direct access for freight.  There was a small yard, known as "State Street yard" underneath the IBM building.  The tracks continued under the Sun-Times building where boxcars of newsprint were spotted for unloading.  The tracks also went under Michigan Avenue on the north side of the Wrigley building.  They continued past the south side of the base of the Tribune Tower and of course there was a siding there when the Trib was printed on site.  The line terminated out on Navy Pier but also served North Pier on its way and ran down the right of way of Illinois street on its way there. 

I can't help but wonder if there is some vertical easement by which buildings built above this former RR ROW must abide.  Perhaps Union Pacific, the corporate successor to the CNW still owns the Right of Way in order to be able to cash in on selling air rights for new development.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 09:38:12 PM by jeffinmichigan »

Offline Hayward

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #152 on: April 10, 2012, 11:33:19 PM »
^ I'm pretty sure the city owns ROW now.  It wouldn't make much sense for the rail companies to continue holding onto that land since it's becomes a liability at that point and has no future in freight.  There's been RFPs as recent as 2010 but no further action...or it's just been shelved for now.  The Kinzie Street Railroad bridge still does have operational capacity despite that its controls and drive mechanics have been decommissioned.  Since it's a city landmark, it should see continuing inspections and maintenance when critical.

Here's a shot of 500 N. LSD.  I would have gone outside to take this, but it was too damn cold

Offline MyTwoSense

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #153 on: April 11, 2012, 10:30:48 AM »
I can see a tiny sliver of my office.  LOL

Offline Hayward

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #154 on: April 13, 2012, 10:01:49 PM »
It's like front and center lol

Offline mrclifton88

• Premium Member
  • One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #155 on: April 13, 2012, 10:11:01 PM »
Northandre not to bring this off topic but really quickly... what kind of camera do you use?  your night pictures are amazing! 

Offline Hayward

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #156 on: April 19, 2012, 07:39:51 PM »
I use a Nikon D7000 and then other times my iphone.  But I get around to many of these places on my longboard, so it's kind of risky to carry the D7000.

Here's a shot from today of 500 N LSD.  Compare and contrast to the picture above
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 07:42:23 PM by NorthAndre »

Offline Hayward

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #157 on: April 22, 2012, 09:42:56 PM »
Oak Street Mall directory updated with the Esquire Theater info part of the package.  Looks fantastic!!  I took photos of the progress on Friday and I'll try to get them posted.

http://cwchicagoretail.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/EsquireTheatre-APRIL-19l.pdf

Offline Hayward

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #158 on: April 23, 2012, 08:28:40 PM »
So long parking lots!! Make way for towers!!

625 W Adams & 645 W Madison

CurbedChicago
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 08:29:02 PM by NorthAndre »

Offline Hayward

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #159 on: May 05, 2012, 08:31:53 AM »
Here's how the glass on Coast is shaping up.  Kind of like Aqua, though the balcony railings are supposed to be glass so this should look pretty sharp.

360 Hubbard Still doing foundation work

Here's what 360 Hubbard will look like

http://chicago.curbed.com/archives/2011/10/06/rendering-for-360-w-hubbard.php

Optima Chicago has gotten above the double decked portion of Illinois

And here's what optima will look like

http://chicago.curbed.com/archives/2011/11/10/david-hoveys-streeterville-debut.php
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 08:40:51 AM by NorthAndre »

Offline ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #160 on: May 06, 2012, 05:42:04 PM »
I'm diggin' all that new stuff.
"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Offline Hayward

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #161 on: May 09, 2012, 09:02:25 PM »

Offline Hayward

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #162 on: May 10, 2012, 08:55:45 PM »
Chicago's worst freeway interchange gets a study for rebuild.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-04-23/news/chi-circle-interchange-reconstruction-idot_1_circle-interchange-study-aecom

This interchange would require a challenging redesign.  It could benefit from two lane ramps, and shallower curves.  The best way is to probably build a huge stacked, converging interchange so that you get very large turning radii.  Knock out the Morgan exit ramps and shift them to Aberdean which will be a busier commercial street in coming years.  Hopefully the Circle Interchange project would justify the CTA rebuilding or renovating the Halsted Station which looks pretty sad right now.

Offline Hayward

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #163 on: July 13, 2012, 01:04:15 AM »
What the hell, I've done nothing to update this thread lately and there's been tons of construction excitement and proposals!  All the last updates show the buildings all squatty!  Time to make my rounds.

Here's some phone shots of K-Station the other day

« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 01:09:14 AM by NorthAndre »

Offline neilworms

« Reply #164 on: July 13, 2012, 09:16:37 AM »
Quite a dramatic effect driving up the Kennedy, should be better when its done.  Working the Fulton river area I kind of wish more of the Kennedy next to the Loop was capped though.

That and the light rail to Navy pier would be nice, this whole part of town is really disconnected from a lot of stuff.

Offline Hayward

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #165 on: July 29, 2012, 02:26:49 AM »
I had to go inspect a project site the other day.  Couldn't help but take some pics out the windows.

Coast of Lakeshore East Dev

500 N LSD

Optima Chicago

Offline ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #166 on: July 29, 2012, 12:17:14 PM »
It's got more podiums than an IKEA!
"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Offline Hayward

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #167 on: August 01, 2012, 11:34:59 PM »
Such is the case in a city with high numbers of car ownership.  They all got to be stored somewhere.  Developers seem to love that they can get that extra height as opposed to under ground construction.  The city requires way more parking in these buildings that is needed.  For the high cost of parking downtown, there's a huge supply of empty spaces.. entire floors of parking decks...that are empty.

Offline ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #168 on: August 02, 2012, 08:18:02 AM »
I believe it. 

Offline Hayward

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #169 on: August 23, 2012, 11:24:38 PM »
Demolition as part of a major overhaul of the Wilson Station in Uptown.  The project will cost $200 million.  Expanded space for business and wider platforms and new track configurations and additional exit / entrance to Sunnyside for Target and Aldi.

Demolition of buildings beneath the tracks should begin early next spring.

Existing Station House

What the new Station house will look like:

glenviewcreek.com
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 11:27:47 PM by NorthAndre »

Offline OHSnap

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #170 on: August 24, 2012, 12:17:52 AM »
Hey NorthAndre--

I'm interested in your (and other Chicagoans') impressions of the new Ronald McDonald House.  I saw a few pictures of it a page back but wonder how it fits with the neighborhood now that it's open. 

I know that chunk of Grand was a little gritty and run down, sandwiched between the Navy Pier stuff and Michigan Ave, so I wonder if the development of this House has helped bridge that.  I've heard an insider report that the new House is beautiful, but looking for a citizen's view of it.

Offline Hayward

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #171 on: August 25, 2012, 01:13:49 AM »
Hey NorthAndre--

I'm interested in your (and other Chicagoans') impressions of the new Ronald McDonald House.  I saw a few pictures of it a page back but wonder how it fits with the neighborhood now that it's open. 

I know that chunk of Grand was a little gritty and run down, sandwiched between the Navy Pier stuff and Michigan Ave, so I wonder if the development of this House has helped bridge that.  I've heard an insider report that the new House is beautiful, but looking for a citizen's view of it.

Overall I'm happy with it. It's no marvel of architecture but it shouldn't be expected. Its purpose is to provide a comforting environment to the families inside and not draw attention to the outside. However the warm red brick was a welcome splash of color in a neighborhood full of glass towers.

I should also point out they have control over the next door properties. They've essentially preserved the last shreds of fine grain commercial activity in Streeterville. I think that deserves a huge applause but I'm not sure many people care or have ever noticed.

I think the biggest issue on grand is building the plaza deck and new stairs. Right now the city is arguing with private building owners over who should repair double decked sidewalks. Seems like no one wants to claim responsibility.

Offline punch

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #172 on: August 25, 2012, 12:43:48 PM »
^^^I always thought that if uptown could get its act together (with the new alderman) the spot where the Popeyes is would make a great spot for a bar. 

Offline Hayward

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #173 on: September 03, 2012, 11:38:35 PM »
Hmmm, I don't really picture a bar scene on that particular stretch of few blocks.  Further up toward the Uptown theater...yes.  But the Wilson station is in an area with a retail vibe.  The addition of Target and Aldi reinforce that commercial spirit.  Considering this structure will be linked to the main station house, it will probably be fast food or grocery store related.

Offline Hayward

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #174 on: September 09, 2012, 09:36:16 PM »
Formerly Known as Waterview is now 111 West Wacker.  The tower was originally supposed to be 1040' at 90 floors but work stopped and the construction kept the building skeleton frozen at 27 floors.  It was legally declared "abandoned" shortly later.  The structure is intact and undamaged, but will require modifications for an entirely new design.  Here's what the new design will look like.  As of this week, construction work will finally return to this site.

Related Midwest

Waterview back when it had a crane on top.  The city threatened to sue concerned the crane could collapse any day and it was eventually removed.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 09:38:09 PM by NorthAndre »

Offline ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #175 on: September 09, 2012, 10:58:54 PM »
I dig it.

Offline neilworms

« Reply #176 on: October 24, 2012, 02:01:14 PM »
Considering that I live here I probably should be posting in this thread a bit more often ;-).

I just learned that a new 11 story building is coming in at the Polish Triangle on Division street where historically there was a grand old theater, but more recently it has been a Pizza Hut.   Walgreens tried to develop the site into a suburban style store, but the community pushed back and this is what's coming in its place:

http://www.wickerparkbucktown.info/content-arts/11-story-development-ashland-division-wicker-park?A=SearchResult&SearchID=2879061&ObjectID=5120298&ObjectType=35

http://news.eastvillagechicago.org/2012/03/pizza-hut-no-more-division-ashlands-new.html

Kind of an ugly building, though the 11 story mural on the west side is really cool.   I hope that this is just the thing that the Polish triangle needs to be revitalized - while the neighborhood is decent its surprisingly dead for the intensity of the district - its kind of a quiet counterpart to the 6 way intersection at Damen/Milwaukee/North a few blocks to the northwest.   Note how parking is handled.

Offline Hayward

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #177 on: October 25, 2012, 06:08:02 PM »
Thanks for the update.  As far as I'm aware, construction on Pizza Hut Tower began this week.

So in Chicago area transportation news looks like the O'Hare tollway bypass is moving along

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-tollway-to-spend-771-million-on-i90-and-elginohare-bypass-in-2013-20121025,0,6470826.story

You can see the undeveloped right-of-way along Thorndale where this will go.
http://goo.gl/maps/rBW7p

In CTA news, I present more detailed renderings of the Wilson Station at Uptown Update:
http://www.uptownupdate.com/2012/10/new-wilson-station-renderings-available.html

Offline neilworms

« Reply #178 on: October 26, 2012, 09:41:55 AM »
So does this mean your going to be actually able to get to Elgin or O'hare on the Elgin-O'Hare Expressway?

Offline Hayward

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #179 on: November 12, 2012, 05:41:43 PM »
So does this mean your going to be actually able to get to Elgin or O'hare on the Elgin-O'Hare Expressway?

Quite possibly!

Renovation of the Fulton Market Cold Storage Building begins.  Joe Zekas over at YoChicago took some great photographs
http://www.flickr.com/photos/yochicago1/8180483234/#
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 05:42:41 PM by NorthAndre »