Author Topic: Cincinnati: Downtown: Terrace Plaza Hotel  (Read 13693 times)

Offline Cincy513

• Kettering Tower 408'
Re: Cincinnati: Downtown: Terrace Plaza Hotel
« Reply #420 on: July 25, 2018, 04:58:13 PM »
As ugly as that is it's a hotel which brings tons of money into downtown.  The Terrace has done nothing but sit empty and rot for 10 years.  It might be another 10 years before a developer comes around if we turn this one down.  Turning these developers down because some want to keep an ugly brick wall is idiotic imo.  I live a block away from the Terrance and it is an absolute black eye on downtown in a very prominent location.  The sooner it can be developed the better off downtown will be.

Offline jrz19

• Excavation Site
« Reply #421 on: July 25, 2018, 06:21:01 PM »
I couldn't agree more. To further that thought, the Terrace was built at a time when most downtown buildings were shorter, and the overall grunginess of the city was nearing its peak with all the smoke and soot filling the air.  The design conventions were of a "retreat from the city", so there was no aesthetic reason to have windows that looked out on to general unpleasantness. Look at the contrast between the historical photos of the building when it set itself apart from most of the surrounding buildings during its heyday. Then contrast that with how awful and out of place the giant wall looks today in modern downtown Cincinnati.

Preserving that giant, ugly, unwelcoming brick wall serves no purpose in 2018 other than to satisfy a fringe minority of architectural buffs. That wall is almost as offensive to the eyes as just about anything from the Brutalist era in my opinion. 
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 06:26:09 PM by jrz19 »

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #422 on: July 25, 2018, 06:28:49 PM »
I'd say that the almost-windowless Cincinnati Bell expansion ("Cyrus Ohio"), and probably a few others (including the hideous Dunhumby death cube), are more egregious presences, but I just can't see a day when anyone other than academicians take any interest in this building.  The public doesn't hate the building because they don't even notice it. 

Offline ryanlammi

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #423 on: July 25, 2018, 06:33:34 PM »
I actually kind of like the Dunhumby Death Cube

Offline ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #424 on: August 11, 2018, 08:20:36 PM »
Former Terrace Plaza has a new owner, and it isnít Anderson Birkla

The former Terrace Plaza Hotel has a new owner, and it isnít the developer who a year ago unveiled a bold plan to transform the building.

More below:
https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2018/08/11/exclusive-former-terrace-plaza-has-a-new-owner-and.html
"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers