PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Cincinnati: Downtown: Terrace Plaza Hotel  (Read 6815 times)

Offline jwulsin

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: Cincinnati: Downtown: Terrace Plaza Hotel
« Reply #300 on: May 13, 2016, 01:01:32 PM »
great photo @JYP

Based on that photo, I actually don't think they had to brick in any windows when the Huntington tower went up.

Offline Yves Behar

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #301 on: May 13, 2016, 01:15:46 PM »
Never noticed that little leg that sticks out. Kind of crazy, it appears that there was a whole street front of businesses that was removed when they built the Macy's.

Offline jwulsin

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #302 on: May 13, 2016, 01:26:01 PM »
In the photo posted by @Rabbit Hash, does it say "PENNEYS" on the west side of the building? I knew it had housed a Bond department store, but it's neat to see that JC Penney was also there at the same time. I wonder how the building was split up between Bond and JC Penney. Was it split by floor or did they share the same floors, split east/west?

Offline JYP

• Global Moderator
  • One World Trade Center 1,776'
    • Urban Cincy
« Reply #303 on: May 13, 2016, 01:29:46 PM »
Bond had two floors along Vine and Penny's had the Race corner. The valet entrance on 6th Street for the hotel is not original to the building and used to be more retail space.
“All truly great thoughts are conceived while walking.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline thebillshark

« Reply #304 on: June 16, 2016, 05:23:20 AM »
With the Cincinnati Gardens purchased and seemingly headed for demo by the Port Authority, would it be possible for the base of the Terrace Plaza to be renovated to include an ice rink and/or roller derby track? Or would structural load-bearing columns get in the way? This would really mix up the uses downtown which would be good for vibrancy (whether it's economically viable or not is a different story...)

Offline jwulsin

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #305 on: June 16, 2016, 06:05:13 AM »
With the Cincinnati Gardens purchased and seemingly headed for demo by the Port Authority, would it be possible for the base of the Terrace Plaza to be renovated to include an ice rink and/or roller derby track? Or would structural load-bearing columns get in the way? This would really mix up the uses downtown which would be good for vibrancy (whether it's economically viable or not is a different story...)

There definitely are load-bearing columns. An arena needs clear spans, which usually means a light roof with nothing built above.

I think the best use for a building like that would be large-format retail which typically doesn't want windows anyways. Target would be my first choice, though I doubt they see Cincinnati's downtown as big enough yet.

Offline IAGuy39

« Reply #306 on: June 16, 2016, 06:47:15 AM »

There definitely are load-bearing columns. An arena needs clear spans, which usually means a light roof with nothing built above.

I think the best use for a building like that would be large-format retail which typically doesn't want windows anyways. Target would be my first choice, though I doubt they see Cincinnati's downtown as big enough yet.

Re: Target - I had read on the Business Courier that Oscar Bodella and other leaders had talks with Target at the Las Vegas Retail? Convention.  I think in the next 3 years, with all the new, big projects below 5th street taking shape, when those residents move in, we will be ready.  That's adding many, many new people to the urban core with large incomes.

Offline jwulsin

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #307 on: June 16, 2016, 07:07:14 AM »

Re: Target - I had read on the Business Courier that Oscar Bodella and other leaders had talks with Target at the Las Vegas Retail? Convention.  I think in the next 3 years, with all the new, big projects below 5th street taking shape, when those residents move in, we will be ready.  That's adding many, many new people to the urban core with large incomes.

Yeah... perhaps in 3 years. If you look at where Target is opening new stores now... the cities are all much larger/richer than Cincinnati.

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #308 on: June 16, 2016, 07:34:19 AM »
People really care about going to Target this much?  How many pots and pans do people need?  I've been in one maybe twice in my life. 

Offline ryanlammi

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #309 on: June 16, 2016, 07:40:23 AM »
A lot of people go to Target weekly. I don't get it, but not everyone is you or me.

Offline chinkley

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #310 on: June 16, 2016, 07:54:29 AM »
target has also branched into food, so that would be a nice bonus to a downtown store.

Offline jwulsin

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #311 on: June 16, 2016, 08:36:21 AM »
The reason I like the idea of Target for that spot is that they have shown more willingness to be flexible on the size/layout of their urban stores, often occupying multiple floors where other retailers seem hellbent on single-floor layouts:

https://corporate.target.com/article/2015/02/target-store-openings

To date, the urban Targets have been in areas with much higher population than Cincinnati, so I'm not expecting this to happen any time soon.

Honestly, I think the mostly likely case will be that several of those floors get repurposed for parking. The building has a "T shape" extension towards the south. Perhaps they could put the ramps in that extension, and maintain the level floors for parking.

Offline crisdux

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #312 on: June 16, 2016, 02:12:27 PM »
People really care about going to Target this much?  How many pots and pans do people need?  I've been in one maybe twice in my life.

t.j. maxx leaving left a big hole for me in terms of downtown shopping options when it left. It was perfect for quick/cheap clothing, kitchen and bathroom items. I know a lot of my fourth street neighbors felt the same way. Target would definitely be able to fill the void.

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #313 on: June 16, 2016, 03:26:35 PM »

Target is much more along the lines of a Walmart or Meijer competitor. Clothes, electronics, home supplies, in addition to the fact that they added grocery items to all of their Cincinnati locations about 5 years ago.

Offline jmicha

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #314 on: June 16, 2016, 05:19:36 PM »
I just moved to Brooklyn yesterday morning. I live a few stops away from the Atlantic Avenue Target store (next to Barclays Center) and ran there to get a shower curtain, some cleaning supplies, a rubbish bin, and an air mattress. It was a 10 minute shopping trip. It's good for those types of things since they sell a wide variety and they're located in an urban area directly above a massive subway stop and is priced decently. I'm not going to go there everyday, but they sell things I'd have to go seek out in a more long-winded nature (like an air mattress, who the hell knows what small store somewhere in Brooklyn sells those).

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #315 on: July 13, 2016, 09:20:16 PM »
Well if they can cut all those holes in the 580 Building's brick then they could do the same for the useless Terrace Plaza base. 

Offline Caseyc

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #316 on: July 14, 2016, 12:30:48 PM »
Well if they can cut all those holes in the 580 Building's brick then they could do the same for the useless Terrace Plaza base. 
  The problem there is that altering the brick "pedestal" will jeopardize historic tax credits. I'm mean, it's pretty much a given based on what I have heard.  That said, however, plans for Terrace Plaza are in the works.

Offline Yves Behar

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #317 on: July 15, 2016, 09:57:14 AM »
Terrace Plaza should be torn down. Dunno why people glorify that structure, it was a shopping center, all the art has been removed. It would be like trying to preserve an abandoned Ikea, just why??

Offline TroyEros

« Reply #318 on: July 15, 2016, 11:27:06 AM »
Terrace Plaza should be torn down. Dunno why people glorify that structure, it was a shopping center, all the art has been removed. It would be like trying to preserve an abandoned Ikea, just why??

Probably because even in it's current lack luster state, the chances of us actually replacing the empty lot (assuming it becomes demolished) will probably take decades knowing the rate of our city. Also, the infill that replaces it will probably look 10x worse, than the current product. The quality of infill Architecture, especially in our core, is god awful.

Also a giant, colorful, art mural on one side of the wall, and a video screen that's time square like, with news updates/etc can really take those 2 blank walls and really make that building so much more inviting. 

Offline neilworms

« Reply #319 on: July 15, 2016, 11:42:50 AM »
It's glorified because of how early it was built in that style it was one of the earliest modernist skyscrapers in the country and designed by well regarded architect. I'm no fan of modernism but if there are examples of this style that should be preserved this is it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Offline Yves Behar

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #320 on: July 16, 2016, 01:53:52 PM »

Probably because even in it's current lack luster state, the chances of us actually replacing the empty lot (assuming it becomes demolished) will probably take decades knowing the rate of our city. Also, the infill that replaces it will probably look 10x worse, than the current product. The quality of infill Architecture, especially in our core, is god awful.

Also a giant, colorful, art mural on one side of the wall, and a video screen that's time square like, with news updates/etc can really take those 2 blank walls and really make that building so much more inviting.

I dunno, I've always heard people throw out the idea of a gian mural or video screen and I just think that would look tacky. It's also sort of the first thing that anyone would think of. The idea of cutting holes for windows would be more appealing to me.

Offline Jimmy_James

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #321 on: July 17, 2016, 05:05:20 PM »
^Leave the exterior alone. It's historic, so just get over how it looks to your modern eyes. Install "virtual windows" around the interior of the pedestal (basically vertical HDTVs, each hooked up to a fiberoptic video camera poking through the brick directly behind it). That would make it more realistic as office space. 

The hotel above could be very interesting if restored, and that rooftop space above the pedestal could be an amazing rooftop bar/restaurant. Also, there's a thread for the terrace plaza...

Offline Ram23

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #322 on: July 17, 2016, 06:23:04 PM »
^ Yeah, this is getting off topic for this thread, but the real solution for Terrace Plaza isn't to open it up like 580, but to reset it to its original setup which had a much better street level presence, and actually had second story windows on the northeast corner. Architects and other people on this board constantly look up as they're walking around and judge buildings but the truth is that most people walking around really only pay attention to street level unless there's something above that that is purposefully drawing their attention away. Get rid of the awful valet/parking area and get more glass and street level tenants and it'd be a fine building. The tricky part is finding a tenant for the base that doesn't need windows. Department stores worked perfectly when this was built, but there's no need for downtown department stores today. Find something that works in a downtown setting without windows and the whole problem is solved.

Offline Cincy513

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #323 on: July 18, 2016, 07:54:42 AM »
^Leave the exterior alone. It's historic, so just get over how it looks to your modern eyes. Install "virtual windows" around the interior of the pedestal (basically vertical HDTVs, each hooked up to a fiberoptic video camera poking through the brick directly behind it). That would make it more realistic as office space. 

WTF?  That is one of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard.

Offline nati streets

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #324 on: July 18, 2016, 08:23:15 AM »

Expensive and a bit impractical for this application but not unheard of.
http://www.wired.com/2014/02/supersonic-jet-video-windows/

Offline ryanlammi

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #325 on: July 18, 2016, 08:24:32 AM »
Moved the discussion of Terrace Plaza from the 580 discussion. Had no relevance there.

Offline ink

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #326 on: July 18, 2016, 09:09:42 AM »

Please watch your tone/word choice. Constructive criticism is fine/encouraged, but let's save the harsher descriptors for ideas that don't come from forum members. :)

Offline lobanio0

• Dirt Lot 0'
Cincinnati: Downtown: Terrace Plaza Hotel
« Reply #327 on: August 17, 2016, 06:58:55 PM »
So just checked the auditors site, did Terrace Plaza sell to a new owner? Does anyone know their intentions?
[IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 06:59:20 PM by lobanio0 »

Offline Brutus_buckeye

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #328 on: August 17, 2016, 07:55:50 PM »
I believe he is the receiver for the building and was court appointed.

He is a local attorney that specializes in such receiverships.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 07:56:35 PM by Brutus_buckeye »

Offline savadams13

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #329 on: October 31, 2016, 12:51:38 PM »
Terrace Plaza back up for sale. Hopefully someone with deep pockets and/or investors will do something positive for the building.

http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2016/10/31/exclusive-former-terrace-plaza-hotel-in-downtown.html