PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Cincinnati: Downtown: Central Parkway and Walnut Development  (Read 2762 times)

Offline jmicha

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: Cincinnati: Downtown: Central Parkway and Walnut Development
« Reply #180 on: August 14, 2017, 04:39:32 PM »
If you kept just the parallel parking on the north and south edges, minimized the width of the driving lane, and then used everything else as a public space you could create a really great street out of Court. I really hope/believe 3CDC will push for something to happen here to make it more hospitable.

Offline atlas

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #181 on: August 14, 2017, 05:04:24 PM »
Or make the south side of it 2-way and close down the north side to make a widened linear plaza for pedestrians. Get tons of green in there to take advantage of the solar amenity on that side of the street and to really give it good vibes.

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #182 on: August 14, 2017, 07:05:17 PM »
Hey, that's not a bad idea. I hope 3CDC takes the time to truly re-envision the street and not just rebuild the streets and sidewalks in the existing configuration. And just ignore Dusty when he complains about losing a few metered parking spaces.

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #183 on: August 14, 2017, 10:00:22 PM »
And I'll repeat -- move the streetcar transformer into the new parking garage. 

Offline Chas Wiederhold

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #184 on: August 15, 2017, 11:30:24 AM »
And while we're throwing out ideas based off of @taestell's photo: How about another 4 or 5 stories on top of the southern half of the Gateway Garage a la the Senhauser/7 at Broadway project to contribute to the midrise canyon of Central Parkway. 

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #185 on: August 15, 2017, 11:56:19 AM »
Can we also do something about Central Parkway between Main and Walnut? The two turn lanes from WB Central to SB Walnut have whittled down the median to the point where it basically doesn't exist. There is no reason why Central should be 10 lanes wide. DOTE needs to rethink this block and optimize it to be pedestrian friendly, especially since OTR residents are going to be walking across Central here with their groceries.

Offline jjakucyk

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #186 on: August 15, 2017, 02:25:06 PM »
^ And the barely 4 feet of sidewalk in front of Salvation Army.

Offline urbanpioneer

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #187 on: August 15, 2017, 06:22:00 PM »
I kind of doubt the developers would want Central Pkwy. between Main and Walnut Streets narrowed.  There'll be much more traffic in the area once the development's completed, with more shoppers, residents and office workers in the immediate vicinity.  Now that I'm thinking about it, Walnut can already be a nightmare during evening rush hours (somebody ban the pedal wagons then, please!) and it'll only get worse.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 12:04:17 AM by urbanpioneer »

Offline jjakucyk

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #188 on: August 16, 2017, 08:48:30 AM »
It could be narrowed a decent bit just by reducing lane widths.  Especially on the north side of the parkway there's some weird extra unused space (again in front of Salvation Army), like what appears to be a 12' to 14' parking lane.  https://goo.gl/maps/nL7noSQiaKN2

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #189 on: August 16, 2017, 09:51:15 AM »
Central Parkway is narrower east of Main, but instead of expanding the sidewalks and "funneling" the traffic down, the two outermost parking lanes just get strangely wider, both on the north side where @jjakucyk mentioned but also on the south side in front of the 1-story building. They're like double-width parking lanes. Expanding the sidewalks would be an easy way to improve pedestrian friendliness. But ideally I would prefer that the city rethinks the need so so many center turn lanes on that block. Bring back the median!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 10:25:20 AM by taestell »

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #190 on: August 16, 2017, 09:58:26 AM »
From memory I believe that the parkway is 15 feet narrower between property lines in the block between Main and Sycamore.  That dates back to the fact that the block for the county courthouse was designated and platted before the canal itself.  That location was chosen because it was at the convergence of Reading Road and McMicken, which were the two original main roads out of the basin. 

The state designated the wider (155 feet?) section of Central Parkway from Main, around the bend, and up to Liberty in order to create an extensive public warf area that ensured that no one party could control the terminus of the canal.  That's what happened on the Thames in London and in many examples around the United States a public warf was dedicated in charters.  That's why Cincinnati had and still has a public landing at the central spot on the river.  They viewed the state-owned canal in the same way.  The various public markets in DT Cincinnati were also part of the same concept -- public land for commerce that could not be controlled by an aristocratic family for hundreds of years as was the issue all over Europe. 

Offline urbanpioneer

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #191 on: August 17, 2017, 10:20:21 PM »
In any case this development will truly transform the area.  The City's investment (new sidewalks and medians with pavers, uniform signage and metal supports for produce stand awnings, etc.) in Court Street 30 years ago was ill-timed, and occurred just as market-day vendors that used to line the street were dwindling in numbers.  Of course the rest of the CBD was in decline then too for several reasons, as Baby Boomers began moving to suburbia and exurbia in search of better schools when their children got older.  Now they're empty nesters and coming back in droves.

When I used to grocery shop regularly on Court Street years ago, it became a bleaker and bleaker experience as time went by.  I'm so glad 3CDC has taken an interest in the area and I hope it won't be too long before the surface parking lot south of the new Kroger's is developed.  Those lots have been eyesores for too long, considering Walnut Street's such a major artery into the CBD.

Offline lobanio0

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #192 on: August 28, 2017, 09:44:11 AM »
And we have ground breaking....

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #193 on: August 28, 2017, 10:02:25 AM »
It wasn't even fenced off this past weekend, I don't think. 

Offline lobanio0

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #194 on: August 28, 2017, 10:11:33 AM »
Only taped off, but I'm still surprised it is not fenced off.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 10:18:30 AM by lobanio0 »

Offline Jimmy Skinner

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #195 on: August 28, 2017, 12:15:42 PM »
they are just removing some old underground gas tanks today

Offline jjakucyk

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #196 on: August 28, 2017, 12:31:07 PM »
^ Beat me to it.

Offline Rabbit Hash

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #197 on: August 28, 2017, 05:44:12 PM »
Interesting. Looks like an old basement. You can still see the walls. Too cool.

Offline SleepyLeroy

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #198 on: August 29, 2017, 08:09:15 AM »
I tried to find a picture yesterday and didn't have any luck, but I believe where they are digging used to be the site of the Hamilton County Records building that burned in a rather spectacular 5+ alarm fire back in the 1970's(?) or so.  That may be an oil tank for the old heating system.

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #199 on: September 20, 2017, 03:31:02 PM »
Sidewalk and street closures go into place tomorrow. Construction is starting!

Offline TroyEros

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #200 on: September 20, 2017, 04:35:19 PM »
So how long is this projected expected to complete? From what I understand 2 years? So around Fall of 2019 or so? So essentially we wont see 3cdc devise plans for the vine st kroger grocery store until the new store opens. I'm guessing we won't see any new infill for that plot until 2020-2021 or so.

Offline jwulsin

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #201 on: September 20, 2017, 04:56:18 PM »
So how long is this projected expected to complete? From what I understand 2 years? So around Fall of 2019 or so? So essentially we wont see 3cdc devise plans for the vine st kroger grocery store until the new store opens. I'm guessing we won't see any new infill for that plot until 2020-2021 or so.

They could start plans sooner. It takes a long time to raise funds and put together a plan. No need to wait for the building to be empty to begin the planning process.

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #202 on: September 20, 2017, 07:46:04 PM »
The city tweeted that sidewalk/lane closures could be in effect for two years. But I would expect the parking garage and new Kroger store to open sooner than that. It will take longer to complete the apartment tower above.

Offline Cincinnatus

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #203 on: September 21, 2017, 08:13:14 AM »
This is very exciting!!

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #204 on: September 27, 2017, 11:36:56 AM »
The closures are in place and asphalt removal is underway:

Offline lobanio0

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #205 on: September 27, 2017, 11:54:52 AM »
Turner has also set up a silo office in the old Mexican restaurant across the street on court.

Offline northsider

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #206 on: November 28, 2017, 08:07:39 PM »
Pretty terrific to see them working every weekday on this site. right now it's all foundation prep.

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #207 on: November 28, 2017, 08:20:49 PM »
Weekly updated are posted by this unofficial Twitter account: https://twitter.com/DowntownKroger

They are on Instagram too: https://www.instagram.com/downtownkroger/

Offline The_Cincinnati_Kid

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #208 on: December 14, 2017, 06:28:47 PM »
Downtown Kroger gets a boost from redevelopment authority
By Chris Wetterich  –  Staff reporter and columnist, Cincinnati Business Courier

The Greater Cincinnati Redevelopment Authority has approved a package of financial aid for the $90.6 million downtown Kroger store and apartment tower set to be built at the southeast corner of Central Parkway and Walnut streets.

“This will help add to the capital stack to help make the project possible,” said Todd Castellini, the authority’s vice president for public finance. “We’re excited to be a part of this big, catalytic project.”

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/12/14/downtown-kroger-gets-a-boost-from-redevelopment.html