Author Topic: Cleveland: Suburban Crime & Safety Discussion  (Read 18308 times)

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
Re: Cleveland: Suburban Crime & Safety Discussion
« Reply #1320 on: June 11, 2018, 07:18:54 PM »
Hundreds of neighborhood homes affected by Sunday's explosion in East Cleveland -- from broken windows to actual structural damage, according to East Cleveland Police Department.

State Investigating Sunday Explosion At East Cleveland Home
http://www.ideastream.org/news/state-investigating-sunday-explosion-at-east-cleveland-home

"Treat this (November 2018) election as if it's the last election in which you can fully exercise your democratic rights. Because it just might be." -- Margy Waller.

Offline Pugu

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #1321 on: June 11, 2018, 09:15:49 PM »
why is the State investigating? Is it because E CLE lacks the personnel to do so or because they lack the ability?

Online metrocity

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #1322 on: June 11, 2018, 09:30:51 PM »
A lot of those homes around there look new including the one blown up, and the neighborhood looks tidy. What a shame.

Offline E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1323 on: June 12, 2018, 06:28:02 AM »
why is the State investigating? Is it because E CLE lacks the personnel to do so or because they lack the ability?

In a case like this I think it's automatic.

I'm wondering if the gas was turned on.   Sounds like it may have been.

Offline Florida Guy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1324 on: June 12, 2018, 08:31:33 AM »
A lot of those homes around there look new including the one blown up, and the neighborhood looks tidy. What a shame.

I thought the same thing. When I heard it was in E Clev I wasn't expecting to see what looks to be a decent neighborhood.

Online MuRrAy HiLL

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1325 on: June 12, 2018, 08:40:27 AM »
^Even today, East Cleveland still has plenty of solid housing stock.  Another reason we need to save it.

Online jam40jeff

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1326 on: June 12, 2018, 08:56:15 AM »
^Even today, East Cleveland still has plenty of solid housing stock.  Another reason we need to save it.

Yeah, but this street has well kept NEWER homes.  I know there are some streets with older homes that are well kept, but I didn't realize there were any streets that had been rebuilt with exclusively newer homes.

Offline E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1327 on: June 12, 2018, 12:51:07 PM »

Yeah, but this street has well kept NEWER homes.  I know there are some streets with older homes that are well kept, but I didn't realize there were any streets that had been rebuilt with exclusively newer homes.

Look across the street in Cleveland (on Google Maps) as well.  Much dingier.

Online metrocity

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #1328 on: June 12, 2018, 09:13:48 PM »
^I can see what you mean, there are some boarded up homes across the street in Cleveland proper, but going down the east/west side streets (Saywell, Castlewood, Forest Grove, Chesterfield) toward 123rd in Cleveland, it really doesn't look that bad honestly on Google maps, there are a lot of well kept homes, and few empty lots. The commercial streets are pretty decimated, I'll give you that...but they usually are anyway, even in better neighborhoods.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 12:10:52 AM by metrocity »

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1329 on: June 13, 2018, 10:36:43 AM »
"Treat this (November 2018) election as if it's the last election in which you can fully exercise your democratic rights. Because it just might be." -- Margy Waller.

Offline E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1330 on: June 13, 2018, 12:10:14 PM »
East Cleveland police seek suspect in deadly house explosion
http://fox8.com/2018/06/12/officials-to-provide-updates-on-deadly-east-cleveland-house-explosion/

Occam's razor explanation:  the last residents never bothered to have the gas shut off and the bill didn't hit the point where it would get disconnected anyway.  The scavengers somehow knew the place was empty (perhaps that it had just been purchased) and didn't bother to check the gas supply.   

Watch someone still try to sue the new owner and/or Dominion.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1331 on: June 13, 2018, 01:55:28 PM »
I have covered a number of stories in which houses were either still occupied or recently vacated in which the utilities were not yet shut off, and then copper pipes were stolen from the home leaving water to fill up a basement and start streaming down the driveway, or causing natural gas to alarm the neighbors and call police.  Apparently this one didn't smell bad enough to call the police, or the police were called and they didn't respond..

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1332 on: June 13, 2018, 03:14:35 PM »
What's going on on East 125th??

An early morning fire annihilated two houses and damaged three more early Wednesday on East 125th Street in East Cleveland, just three days after a house explosion leveled a home and destroyed several others on the same street. Luckily, no one was injured.
📸s: Chuck Crow, PD
https://twitter.com/clevelanddotcom/status/1006959924314820609

Offline E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1333 on: June 14, 2018, 09:03:54 AM »
I have covered a number of stories in which houses were either still occupied or recently vacated in which the utilities were not yet shut off, and then copper pipes were stolen from the home leaving water to fill up a basement and start streaming down the driveway, or causing natural gas to alarm the neighbors and call police.  Apparently this one didn't smell bad enough to call the police, or the police were called and they didn't respond..

It even happens at a governmental level.   When Maple Heights closed down West Junior High School during the early 80s, they turned off the heat but either didnít properly drain the pipes or didnít even turn off the water (stories vary).   The result was predictable, and a relatively modern school building less than 20 years old was trashed within a year.

Offline Toddguy

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #1334 on: June 14, 2018, 09:21:51 AM »
What's going on on East 125th??

An early morning fire annihilated two houses and damaged three more early Wednesday on East 125th Street in East Cleveland, just three days after a house explosion leveled a home and destroyed several others on the same street. Luckily, no one was injured.
📸s: Chuck Crow, PD
https://twitter.com/clevelanddotcom/status/1006959924314820609

Damn. It is amazing how much heat burning houses can generate. The house across the street from me recently burned, and the heat alone damaged the neighboring place and even caught the trees on fire. The trees are all browned out halfway up now. Even the neighbors shrubs were ruined.

Very odd this happens on the same street as the explosion and so soon after though.

Online MuRrAy HiLL

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1335 on: June 15, 2018, 03:49:52 PM »
Very sad about losing five more houses on the same block.

Here is the video coverage from News 5:  https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/local-news/cleveland-metro/five-homes-burn-in-east-cleveland-overnight

Offline E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1336 on: July 19, 2018, 02:21:59 PM »
Likely gang members break into a gun shop in Mentor.  MPD and allies go 4 for 4, including an individual with an active murder warrant in Cleveland.

Would they have been more successful in the city or inner ring? Do cases like this start pushing such crime back inward?