Author Topic: Cleveland: Global Center for Health Innovation & Convention Center  (Read 68603 times)

Online surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: Cleveland: Global Center for Health Innovation & Convention Center
« Reply #7350 on: November 16, 2017, 11:25:50 AM »
I agree with you that in some aspects retail should be subsidized because of the reasons you've cited before. Wouldn't it be awesome if small businesses could get the same red carpet treatment that the big developers (and people with the last name Kennedy) get? Probably a good thread topic on its own. But with MM, don't you think if it was a such a great idea that places like Nashville, NYC, etc. would have followed through on their initial plans to compete with Cleveland? 

Offline 327

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #7351 on: November 16, 2017, 12:08:20 PM »
Totally.  Point is, this thing had no chance without the free rent.  Even then it was dicey.  There were already distributors in health care who offered one-stop shopping for purchasers.  Their impact on convention generation was established and measurable.  What's the point of having trade shows when that role is filled by existing showrooms?  A solution in search of a problem. 

Of course the whole idea on our end was to get funding for the convention center renovation, which nobody wanted, so it was paired with a second thing nobody wanted and forced through.  And then we ran away from the base concept of it, which, to be fair, probably wouldn't have worked anyway.  And then we actually got ourselves a top-tier convention, but that was unrelated to health care and held at the Q, which itself was deemed inadequate right afterward.

Offline StapHanger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #7352 on: November 16, 2017, 12:13:59 PM »
^I agree that focusing on its rental income sort of misses the point, but even as a loss leader the Med Mart failed, no? Even at cheap rents it never filled with the healthcare showrooms and sales offices that were envisioned, prompting name change, new types of tenants, and management changes. I haven't followed the convention center's bookings closely, but is there anything to suggest it's outperforming peer centers because of the Global Center's tenants? The whole point was to boost the low wage service economy through hotel stays and restaurant meals, with a really nebulous boost to the city's healthcare companies, I guess, through additional exposure, but as far as I know, the Global Center has been a big zero on those fronts.

Oops, I'm a few posts behind. 

I think the operators did give the initial concept a try, and it failed, so now we're left with a box that can either be a loss leader, a revenue generator, or some combination, but I don't think we've seen anything to date that justifies the additional expense it entailed.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 12:18:07 PM by StapHanger »

Offline punch

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #7353 on: November 21, 2017, 12:41:47 PM »
I still don't think the convention center alone was enough to get funding.  The medical mart was the sweetener.  I'm sure there are differing opinions, but I feel the new convention center accelerated all of the downtown development, including hotels, which lead to us landing the Republican convention.

I'm hoping for good things with the Bio Enterprise incubator, but even if it isn't a significant success, I still feel it was worth the money.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
"Treat this (November 2018) election as if it's the last election in which you can fully exercise your democratic rights. Because it just might be." -- Margy Waller.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #7355 on: July 13, 2018, 08:29:11 PM »
Ohio State relocates regional recruitment office in downtown Cleveland
Space will foster engagement with prospective students, high-school counselors
https://news.osu.edu/ohio-state-relocates-regional-recruitment-office-in-downtown-cleveland/
"Treat this (November 2018) election as if it's the last election in which you can fully exercise your democratic rights. Because it just might be." -- Margy Waller.

Offline StapHanger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #7356 on: July 13, 2018, 10:15:47 PM »
Global Center for Recruiting Cleveland High Schoolers to Other Cities.