PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: NYC: Herzog & de Meuron's 'Jenga tower'  (Read 639 times)

Offline mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
NYC: Herzog & de Meuron's 'Jenga tower'
« on: September 15, 2008, 08:03:58 PM »
whoa there, whoa, whoooaa !!!   :laugh:

JENGA! Herzog & de Meuron's 56 Leonard Revealed

Monday, September 15, 2008, by Joey

To those who say New York's building boom is coming to an end, well...at least it's going out with a bang! Last week brought us the reveal of Dutch starchitect Rem Koolhaas' eagerly-anticipated condo building at 23 East 22nd Street just south of Madison Square Park, and today brings the long-awaited debut of Swiss starchitects Jacques Herzog and Pierre de Meuron's condo tower at 56 Leonard Street in Tribeca. It has been almost a full year since we revealed that Herzog & de Meuron would follow up 40 Bond in New York with their first residential high-rise building, a 57-story project developed by the deep-pocketed Alexico Group at the corner of Leonard and Church Streets. In that time, the firm's stock has soared to new heights, thanks to the celebrated design of Beijing's Bird's Nest stadium. And so, the official unveiling of this 145-unit skyscraper is garnering local and international headlines.

The concept is "houses stacked in the sky," and each apartment will have a unique floorplan as well as its own private outdoor space. The outcome is a mish-mash of cantilevers that the architects describe as a "pixelated vertical layering" look. The building is broken up into five "zones" from bottom to top: lobby, "townhouse" residences, amenities spaces, tower residences and penthouses, of which there are 10. Amenities will include a 75-foot swimming pool with adjoining sun deck, screening room, children's play room, library and more. The double-height lobby will be sheathed in black granite.

The apartments themselves will range in size from 1,430 square feet to 6,380, all two- to five-bedroom spreads priced from $3.5 million to $33 million. Herzog & de Meuron handled all the interior details, from the 12-foot glass doors that lead to the outdoor spaces, to the handrails on the balconies, to the champagne-colored window mullions, to the piano-like dining island to the massive floor-to-ceiling fireplace hearths. In fact, the only thing the architects seemingly didn't have a hand was is the outdoor sculpture designed by British artist Anish Kapoor specifically for 56 Leonard. Seen in the above gallery of renderings, the metallic orb looks like Kapoor's Chicago Cloud Gate rolled into Tribeca and got caught under the building's base. Squish!

Corcoran Sunshine will be handling the sales, and the sales office is expected to open later this week. Occupancy is scheduled for late fall 2010. The downtown skyline rendering seen up top conspicuously omits Robert A.M. Stern's 80-story 30 Park Place tower currently under construction (and maybe even Frank Gehry's Beekman?), but we're most curious about how 56 Leonard will impact another new Tribeca luxury condo building, Five Franklin Place. All of a sudden, Ben van Berkel's bendy black ribbons make up the second most avant-garde apartment building within two blocks. That's gotta bruise the ol' ego.

56 Leonard [Official Site]
All Curbed 56 Leonard Street coverage [Curbed]

Comments (66 extant)

more renderings:
http://curbed.com/archives/2008/09/15/jenga_herzog_de_meurons_56_leonard_revealed.php?o=4

« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 08:17:37 PM by Cygnus »

Offline David

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: herzog & de meuron's tribeca jenga tower
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 08:24:51 PM »
Chicago getting crushed by Manhattan

Enough! Enough with the shinannigans!! Just because jenga style skyscrapers look like they're already about to collapse, it doesn't mean they're terrorist-proof.

Offline jpop

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 08:26:51 PM »
Wow .. amazing! That's going to be beautiful.

Offline UncleRando

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 07:37:09 AM »
This does look pretty neat.  I'm not sure what to think of the squashed bean at ground level though.

Offline mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 02:35:22 PM »
looks like herzog & de meuron out jenga'd the recent reveal of 23 e22nd street, designed by rem koolhaas. what do you think?

vote:
http://curbed.com/archives/2008/09/16/curbed_poll_which_blockbuster_reveal_is_the_real_deal.php

ps -- here's something silly:

mao's out. herzog & de meuron are in.

now when are we gonna get 56 leonard street on our $10 bill?  yay architecture! :laugh:

http://lifewithoutbuildings.net/2008/09/architecture-replaces-authority-on-chinese-currency.html

Offline MyTwoSense

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 03:32:53 PM »
both renderings look crazy and ridiculous!  I wouldn't want to live there.

Offline jpop

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 03:37:07 PM »
I love both of them. They make me giggly with glee. :)

Offline MyTwoSense

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 03:37:48 PM »
Laaaaaaaaaaawd.  Giggly with Glee until you see the pricepoint per unit! 

Offline jpop

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 03:39:19 PM »
LOOK. I'm not going to be able to afford a unit in Manhattan for a long, long time .. if ever. I can at least get excited by new architecture.

Offline David

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 03:58:13 PM »
Its projects like this that make you realize the building boom is far from over. They're just going to keep building taller and taller.

Offline MyTwoSense

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 04:07:21 PM »
LOOK. I'm not going to be able to afford a unit in Manhattan for a long, long time .. if ever. I can at least get excited by new architecture.
If new architecture "excites" you....you've got big problems Buster!  he he he he
Its projects like this that make you realize the building boom is far from over. They're just going to keep building taller and taller.

It's over, yet Manhattan is a different beat.  NYC - particularly Manhattan - cannot be compared to any part of the country when you are looking at real estate.

No where in the country can you say, If I lived/move one block east, west, north or south, the value of my home change by $250k.

Offline Cincinnatus

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 04:21:31 PM »

No where in the country can you say, If I lived/move one block east, west, north or south, the value of my home change by $250k.

Actually, in Indian Hill you could! (but I know what you're saying) ;)

Offline MyTwoSense

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2008, 04:29:36 PM »

FINE..

Revised.  In no urbanized city center, in the states can you say, "If I lived/move one block east, west, north or south, the value of my home change by $250k."

Offline Cincinnatus

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2008, 04:45:59 PM »

FINE..

Revised.  In no urbanized city center, in the states can you say, "If I lived/move one block east, west, north or south, the value of my home change by $250k."

Guys, what'd you think ...

Couldn't one see this with Central Pkwy and 12th St.? I don't know ... it's too close.

Offline David

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2008, 03:51:04 PM »
If new architecture "excites" you....you've got big problems Buster!  he he he he

It's over, yet Manhattan is a different beat.  NYC - particularly Manhattan - cannot be compared to any part of the country when you are looking at real estate.

From what I saw a few weeks ago, there is still a lot going on Hells Kitchen but in areas like soho and  tribeca, everything that can be converted seems to have already been converted or built. I'm just worried that if they don't keep building, demand won't be allievated and as a result, NYC will get even more expensive (based on what I've learned about what happens when you have growth boundaries). Damn!t, I wanna be able to afford to live there in my late 20s.

Offline Cincinnatus

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2008, 04:11:26 PM »
I really enjoyed Hells Kitchen. It had a good vibe that I was digging.

David, we all want to live in NYC, but don't you ever think that you are part of the bigger picture in making your city get to that point that NYC has always been at?

Offline jpop

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2008, 04:19:23 PM »
David, we all want to live in NYC

Not true. I'm in NYC, and I'm ready to leave.

but don't you ever think that you are part of the bigger picture in making your city get to that point that NYC has always been at?

One of the reasons I'm considering strongly moving back soon-ish.

Offline MyTwoSense

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2008, 04:27:20 PM »

Oh no!  What will ever happen to the Boogie Down if you leave?

Offline Cincinnatus

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2008, 04:27:59 PM »

C'mon JPop, of course not everyone wants to live in NYC, you know what I meant!

Offline MyTwoSense

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2008, 04:29:25 PM »

C'mon JPop, of course not everyone wants to live in NYC, you know what I meant!
I understand what Jpop-tart is saying.  If I could do what I do here at home fulltime, I'd dump this house, retire and consult.

Offline mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2008, 04:33:34 PM »
bah. riverdale a boogie down burb. you don't have to leave ny jpop, just move into new york city, it isn't far from you!  :wink:

Offline jpop

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2008, 04:36:53 PM »
mrnyc, do you think I live in The Bronx because I especially love it here? :(

Offline David

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2008, 04:37:41 PM »

David, we all want to live in NYC, but don't you ever think that you are part of the bigger picture in making your city get to that point that NYC has always been at?

No, because geography is almost irrelevant now, yet you have dozens of large cities and thousands of small ones competing for growth. Of  course Cincinnati and Columbus can improve and are already great cities in their own right, but they will never be as big or international as NYC.

Offline Cincinnatus

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2008, 04:37:47 PM »
What is even going on ...

Offline MyTwoSense

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2008, 04:40:16 PM »

YES.  I saw you on the 2 train with your Kangoo hat, hollow gold chains and Adidas track suit!  I'd definitely say you ARE the spirit of The BX!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 04:40:32 PM by MyTwoSense »

Offline jpop

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2008, 04:54:10 PM »

YES.  I saw you on the 2 train with your Kangoo hat, hollow gold chains and Adidas track suit!  I'd definitely say you ARE the spirit of The BX!

If you only heard how hard I laughed ..

Offline mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2008, 04:55:09 PM »

ha. yeah i know, i know. we all get stuck where we get stuck! its the opposite for me, i often work in the south bx (usually 3x/wk), but at least i get to come home to gv. although in reality i live in all the nyc ghettos during the loooonnnggg work week. hey i just thought of something, it's weds night so at least we're past the hump. anyway good luck with your decision, i understand. as for me maybe you heard the saying, "if you live in manhattan 7 years you leave in a box?" so true.

Offline jpop

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2008, 05:03:23 PM »
Hahahaha.

Well, I hope that's not like a rule or something at the bridges and tunnels. :)

Offline MyTwoSense

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2008, 05:04:14 PM »
I think that is what they do to keep you people out of Manhattan!

Offline mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2008, 03:37:14 PM »
some news. the developers opened a slick sales office recently. i guess that is a sign its happening? somebody who was in there said the building model was the biggest they had ever seen. more pics of the office & comments on the link.

i am loving this building, i hope they start to build asap.

http://curbed.com/archives/2008/10/27/show_us_your_sales_office_herzog_de_meurons_56_leonard.php?o=5