PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Pet Peeves!  (Read 13458 times)

Online David

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: Pet Peeves!
« Reply #4080 on: April 14, 2017, 11:52:31 PM »
There really should be strict laws in place in regards to telemarketing. Marketing has evolved so much in recent years and overall, their techniques are less annoying and damaging to their own brand. They can reach people in so many different ways and in more effective ways that are less offensive, obnoxious and a waste of folks valuable time - especially with the proliferation of the internet. Sites - social media, forums/news groups/ etc. Look at social media sites and how companies like Google, Facebook and YouTube obtain data pertaining to your personal interests including those that are a result of search inquiries which become cached through your web browser and available to them. You do a google search on some product or your Android (Google) phone using searches and perhaps even just key strokes or voice commands when you say "take me to the closest Target" to get directions. An ad for said retail location pops up on your Facebook news feed the next day. At least it makes sense that you're being fed an ad for that product/service; I mean you obviously have an interest in shopping at Target and probably don't mind hearing about their latest promotions and considering sites like Facebook and YouTube are free but require revenue to pay their software engineers, provide hosting and all other expenses involved and truly deserve to make a profit, it's actually a reasonable and fair tradeoff but getting tons of random calls through your phone throughout the day from people peddling the most random products - it's just such an antiquated model. I've been wasting so many minutes of my life lately answering these pointless calls because I could actually have an important incoming call from another, very random area code and can't take that chance.

There's just no reason why they should be allowed to bother people the way they do, over the phone. I'm not claiming that I'm this really important person whose every minute of the day is worth so much but people deserve to not be annoyed when they did absolutely nothing to warrant it.

Back in the day, door-to-door salesman were actually somewhat useful because information about superior products weren't available like they are now. It's so easy now to figure out what you need and what's best for you.

I actually sympathize with ADT - to a degree, though. I don't think their method is that effective and going to get them many more contracts but you at least expressed initial interest, which is why they're vigilantly following up with you.

These companies who call and harass me all day long have never been given any indication from me that I'm actually interested in home security.

Never in my life have I reached out to home security companies. Honestly, I think that for the most part, they are a huge rip off and cater to extremely paranoid individuals. Unless your property contains really expensive or irreplaceable assets or you are somehow a 'target' or your ADT security lowers your insurance premiums, it's most likely not even worth getting. I'm not a homeowner though and if I had extremely high valued tangible assets worth paying to protect, they'd certainly be located in a security deposit box or certain other remote locations anyway. Not where everyone knows that I live.

Offline GCrites80s

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • 1492 or 4,192?
« Reply #4081 on: April 15, 2017, 08:41:25 AM »
Everything with telemarketing is about tricking old people.

Offline E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4082 on: April 16, 2017, 10:25:02 AM »
Everything with telemarketing is about tricking old people.

Who else even has a landline, let alone answers unknown calls?

Offline Rabbit Hash

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #4083 on: April 21, 2017, 06:33:08 AM »
You don't even need to push a button to be identified as a working number. Just the fact that you answer and say "hello" registers your number. Likewise, letting it go to voicemail does the same because there is outgoing audio.

The way I handle these is as I answer I immediately mute the call. There's always silence for a few seconds on the other end and then the call auto terminates.

If it's a live person they will voluntarily say hello when the realize the line has stopped ringing and someone or something has picked up.

I did this a few times when I got these calls and tennthey tailed off to the point I get basically zero.

Offline E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4084 on: July 20, 2017, 06:11:35 AM »
One of my biggest pet peeves:  why does the USA pay more attention to December 7th and September 11th than to July 20th and 21st?

Offline TBideon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4085 on: July 20, 2017, 07:33:20 AM »
I wish there were a database of all unruly and rude retail/restauraunt customers. A "do not serve" list shared nationwide. The best judge of character is how someone treats a clerk or server, and rude customers can go eat dirt and rocks if they behave poorly.

More customers should be expelled from restaurants and retail shops, and have to make amends if they ever want direct service again. Employers have been welcoming hostile people and permitting employee abuse far too long.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 07:34:44 AM by TBideon »

Offline Brutus_buckeye

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4086 on: July 20, 2017, 07:46:10 AM »
One of my biggest pet peeves:  why does the USA pay more attention to December 7th and September 11th than to July 20th and 21st?

Because the South lost the war, and to borrow a line from the president, "we don't celebrate losers in this country"

Offline bfwissel

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #4087 on: July 20, 2017, 08:02:25 AM »
Sorry, what's December 7th, July 20th and July 21st?
"Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago." - Warren Buffett

Offline Brutus_buckeye

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4088 on: July 20, 2017, 08:08:59 AM »
^ Dec 7 is Pearl Harbor Day, July 20 was the first day the Confederate Congress convened, and July 21 is Battle of Bull Run which the South won (or as us Yankees refer to it, the battle of Manasass).
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 08:09:59 AM by Brutus_buckeye »

Offline down4cle

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4089 on: July 20, 2017, 08:15:37 AM »
July 20, 1969 is the day that America landed on the moon.

Offline Brutus_buckeye

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4090 on: July 20, 2017, 08:27:34 AM »

But of course you do know that the moon landing was staged in a Hollywood studio and therefore is not worth celebrating. :)

Also, we don't celebrate the moon landing because the moon is weak sauce. When we do something truly impressive  like having man walk on the sun, then maybe we will celebrate that.

Offline down4cle

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4091 on: July 20, 2017, 08:29:12 AM »

But of course you do know that the moon landing was staged in a Hollywood studio and therefore is not worth celebrating. :)

Also, we don't celebrate the moon landing because the moon is weak sauce. When we do something truly impressive  like having man walk on the sun, then maybe we will celebrate that.

We'll have to send people to walk on the sun at night so they don't burn up.

Online taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4092 on: July 20, 2017, 09:07:00 AM »

Offline clvlndr

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4093 on: July 20, 2017, 09:20:41 AM »
^ Dec 7 is Pearl Harbor Day, July 20 was the first day the Confederate Congress convened, and July 21 is Battle of Bull Run which the South won (or as us Yankees refer to it, the battle of Manasass).

Any holiday celebrating any victory for the South is akin to celebrating treason against the United States.

Offline Brutus_buckeye

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4094 on: July 20, 2017, 09:28:53 AM »
^ we only celebrate winners here. We like winning remember. That and trips to the sun
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 09:29:24 AM by Brutus_buckeye »

Online David

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4095 on: July 20, 2017, 10:20:25 AM »
I don't agree with celebrating a confederate victory; anyone who supports that is an a$$ clown.

However, I think it was a little ridiculous that they removed all those confederate monuments in New Orleans, recently. It was practically a covert operation done at 3am when those who would be offended, wouldn't notice. Germany did something similar, successfully removing Nazi's from their past. At least for the most part.

Yeah, it's embarrassing and it's something we'd all be more comfortable avoiding or forgetting about but I think those monuments are an important reminder of our fairly recent history. Like the old cliche goes, "those who forget history are doomed to repeat it." 

I can also see why it would be offensive to descendents of those dead soldiers to remove those monuments. Men have always been the more disposable gender in every society, particularly in times of war. To make up for it, they're promised glory in the history books and monuments but in the case of confederate soldiers, they didn't get either, since they were on the wrong side of history. Most of them were probably just regular people feeling that they need to live up to society's expectations.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 10:25:29 AM by David »

Offline down4cle

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4096 on: July 20, 2017, 10:24:07 AM »
^ Confederate Monuments have no place on U.S. soil other than a museum.  The Confederacy was an enemy combatant of the United States. 

Offline E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4097 on: July 20, 2017, 10:55:54 AM »

The first steps were technically on the 21st because NASA used GMT, but they were late at night on the 20th in the USA.  I recall being able to stay up late to watch the coverage.  My daughter is now almost exactly the same age I was then.  I'm hoping we can get back to the moon by the time she's an adult, then to Mars and beyond.

Offline E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4098 on: July 20, 2017, 10:58:16 AM »
^ Confederate Monuments have no place on U.S. soil other than a museum.  The Confederacy was an enemy combatant of the United States. 

Part of the reconciliation process was considering their veterans to be US veterans.

Online David

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4099 on: July 20, 2017, 12:53:25 PM »

Thanks again for another very thorough, mind-blowing analysis in opposition to one of my posts.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 12:55:28 PM by David »

Offline down4cle

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4100 on: July 20, 2017, 12:57:32 PM »
The Confederate States was an enemy of the United States.   If you don't understand history,  please don't comment on it.   

Offline E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4101 on: July 20, 2017, 07:53:37 PM »
The Confederate States was an enemy of the United States.   If you don't understand history,  please don't comment on it.   

Only in the same sense the American colonies were an enemy of the UK.  Special case

Offline down4cle

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4102 on: July 20, 2017, 08:10:14 PM »
I bet they don't have American Revolutionary War hero statues in public spaces in England though.

Online taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4103 on: July 20, 2017, 08:11:53 PM »
I'm fine with Confederate statues remaining up, as long as everyone can agree that they are participation trophies.

Offline Ram23

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4104 on: July 20, 2017, 08:54:43 PM »
Ulysses S. Grant, an Ohioan who did more for this nation on any given day than all of us here combined will ever come close to doing, knew how important reunification and reconstruction was. He would be rolling in his tomb (an inspiring place in Morningside Heights, a few blocks from where I once lived) over this recent wave of historical revisionism via the destruction of artifacts and monuments.

Online David

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4105 on: July 20, 2017, 09:23:16 PM »
I'm fine with Confederate statues remaining up, as long as everyone can agree that they are participation trophies.

It's amazing how the vast majority of perceived clever, liberal-leaning posts on this forum are stolen from random users on Twitter. I urge you all to take any of the blatantly clever posts on this forum and paste that string of text it into google with quotations outside of the string of text and see what you come up in the search results. It's astounding how often people on here rip off the intellectual property of folks on Twitter and post it here as if it were their own words, their own original statement. I really thought that this was a forum where people expressed their own, educated ideas and weren't just sheep in a heard. I've clearly been proven wrong.

"You can't be anti-participation trophies and pro Confederate statues. They are the world's biggest participation trophies." - https://twitter.com/dragonflyjonez/status/856494326079246336?lang=en

"Ann Coulter is so horrible, people are actually siding with an airline."
https://twitter.com/OhNoSheTwitnt/status/886471841421852672

It's copying/pasting and its lazy. You're obtaining glory on this forum based on other peoples unique thoughts and ideas which are clearly not your own. It's not right. It's not that I necessarily disagree with you but stop being lazy and portraying ideas of others as your own that clearly aren't. It's not fair and this is absolute madness which has gone completely out of control. It's sad that you can't make your own talking points as an individual human being.

Stop being a follower and feel free to actually express ideas of your own!

The comment regarding confederate monuments being akin to participation trophies; I was actually going to put that quote in the Urban Ohio best quotes thread until a 5 second investigation proved that it was ripped-off and as a result, it wouldn't be appropriate to highlight said post. It was a good point and pretty hilarious, but stolen from a random Twitter account, nonetheless.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 10:03:42 PM by David »

Offline down4cle

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4106 on: July 20, 2017, 09:30:34 PM »
Jokes are meant to be repeated.  yawn

Offline ck

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #4107 on: July 20, 2017, 10:09:59 PM »
I hope nobody thinks they're achieving glory based on anything they say in this forum

Online David

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4108 on: July 20, 2017, 10:12:55 PM »
No, it's more like you all are mostly stealing points from the most clever Twitter users, assuming folks won't notice and passing it off on UrbanOhio as your own original thoughts. It's bullsh!t. You don't publish those statements verbatim while giving credit. It's not right. Come up with your own defense. Jesus, I have. Everyone knows that I'm a hard-core urbanist and yeah, I have controversial opinions sometimes but my expressed opinions are at least based on my own observations and analysis. They're not words that were copy-and-pasted from some quasi-public figure's Twitter account.

Offline down4cle

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4109 on: July 20, 2017, 10:16:22 PM »
Dude posted a joke with a common theme.  you should chill out.  this is just the internet.

You also changed one of your posts where you claimed the Confederacy wasn't a different country.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 10:19:57 PM by down4cle »