Author Topic: Cleveland: Retail News  (Read 60663 times)

Offline mu2010

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
Re: Cleveland: Retail News
« Reply #3570 on: April 17, 2018, 11:22:28 AM »
I find the best diversity of businesses, unfortunately, to be located in slightly dumpy strip malls in older suburbs. Can't stand the urban form of it, but in this era those are the buildings with the cheap rents and large enough supply to bring all kinds of interesting things.

Pearl Road in Parma Heights is a great example

Exactly. Or Mayfield Rd, which we even had a thread about a few years ago.

https://www.urbanohio.com/forum/index.php/topic,25986.msg729472.html#msg729472

Offline Kimolos

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #3571 on: April 18, 2018, 12:38:44 AM »
Cleveland's had similar in existing buildings - 5th Street Arcades recently, the Arcade (Hyatt) in its heyday but whatever it takes retail marketers to put a new spin on things. One thing I'd love to see go away is the use of the word "curated", outside of an art museum's collection.

5Th Street Arcades is a good space.  More of an 'enclosed side street' than typical indoor retail like a suburban mall.  Again, goes to types of businesses there; individually there are some cool and unique options, together they create the overall appeal.  I know what you mean with "curated."  I can't immediately think of a word to replace it that conveys the same thought.  "Chosen" or "Selected" doesn't do it.  Personally, there is the connotation of: (1) authority based on experience (aka expertise?), and (2)  creativity with "curator" that isn't there with other words. 

From a tenant standpoint, Van Aken is coming together:
http://www.shakeronline.com/assets/downloads/city-projects/vanakenontrackp.10.pdf

It says, "...James Beard Award-winning chef Jonathon Sawyer will partner with them as a tenant and curator of food experiences in the Van Aken District." (emphasis added).  And further down, "Sawyer and RMS are finalizing negotiations with a thoughtfully assembled tenant roster that will complement already-named tenants such as Shinola Detroit, Mitchellís Ice Cream, Rising Star Coffee Roasters, Restore Cold Pressed, and Luna Crepes, as well as Sawyerís restaurant." (emphasis added). 

Two things: (1) RMS is smart to work with him, and his curatorial role (prefer "thoughtful assembler?!") is a good idea.  Thought and planning are important yet often overlooked.
(2)  RMS has some good tenants so far.  Not all local, although there are quite a few, but the mix looks thoughtful and, dare I say, curated?  Hope it continues, good for them. 
✌︎🎧📿✚🕶☭🇨🇾🇬🇷

Offline mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3572 on: April 18, 2018, 11:02:49 AM »
^ lol nice finds -- curated bugs me too, but on the positive side it does get the point across and it is certainly a buzzword for millenials.

Online roman totale XVII

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #3573 on: April 27, 2018, 07:33:32 PM »
Took a walk around downtown to enjoy this pleasant afternoon and noticed that the old Metro furniture store in the 1717 building is occupied again. At first glance it looks like another furniture store, but reading the window decals it seems to be some kind of furniture rental place. Not like a rent-a-center, but somewhere you rent, frankly over the top, furnishings for one-off events like a big party. The space seems to be more of a showroom, than an actual retail store.

Offline MyPhoneDead

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #3574 on: May 02, 2018, 05:32:07 PM »
Corner Alley Uptown to close in late May; owner says bowling alley isn't profitable

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The developer behind the Uptown project in University Circle plans to close the Corner Alley, a major retail anchor in the district.

MRN, Ltd., the family-owned real estate company that also owns and manages the Corner Alley, said the business started off strong in late 2014 but simply isn't profitable. Bowlers will knock down their final pins at Uptown in late May.

The Corner Alley downtown, a smaller venue on East Fourth Street, will stay open.

Large-scale retail has been a bit of a challenge at Uptown, a development at Euclid Avenue, Ford Drive and Mayfield Road, since the first wave of apartments, stores and eateries opened in 2012.

http://realestate.cleveland.com/realestate-news/2018/05/corner_alley_uptown_to_close_i.html

Offline TBideon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3575 on: May 02, 2018, 06:35:33 PM »
Bollocks

Online CbusTransit

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #3576 on: May 02, 2018, 09:25:07 PM »
Anybody hear any rumors about Shaker Square's Yours Truly?

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/13228-Shaker-Sq-Cleveland-OH/12417446/

Looks like they are trying to rent out the space?

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #3577 on: May 02, 2018, 09:36:03 PM »

Interesting -- especially in light of the proposed development behind (east) this building.
"Treat this (November 2018) election as if it's the last election in which you can fully exercise your democratic rights. Because it just might be." -- Margy Waller.

Offline eyehrtfood

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #3578 on: May 02, 2018, 09:43:12 PM »

There is one Tweet from this week saying rumor is they are closing. That's all I could find online.  A shame for the area

At the same time, the downtown Chagrin Falls location is currently closed - but being gutted and expanded out and up with new modern diner look and bar (like downtown CLE).

Offline osu87

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #3579 on: May 15, 2018, 01:04:45 PM »
Luckyís Market at Clifton shops in Lakewood is officially opening tomorrow their second Ohio location.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 04:43:48 PM by osu87 »

Offline surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3580 on: May 15, 2018, 01:26:23 PM »
Lickyís Market at Clifton shops in Lakewood Fakewood is officially opening tomorrow their second Ohio location.

Fixed lol.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3581 on: May 15, 2018, 01:55:46 PM »
Lickyís Market at Clifton shops in Lakewood is officially opening tomorrow their second Ohio location.

Lakewood? Ugh.
"Treat this (November 2018) election as if it's the last election in which you can fully exercise your democratic rights. Because it just might be." -- Margy Waller.

Offline osu87

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #3582 on: May 17, 2018, 11:13:21 PM »
 Went to the store in Lakewood today Luckys Iíve been to the one in Columbus as I said before and love it this store is so nice and so big

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3583 on: May 18, 2018, 01:00:15 AM »
Oh my God, people. It's NOT in Lakewood.

I posted pictures of it in the Cleveland/Lakewood/The Edge developments thread.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 09:00:27 AM by KJP »

Offline Cleburger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3584 on: May 18, 2018, 02:21:26 AM »
Went to the store in Lakewood CLEVELAND today Luckys Iíve been to the one in Columbus as I said before and love it this store is so nice and so big

Friendly editing necessary.

Offline osu87

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #3585 on: May 18, 2018, 10:28:32 PM »
You poor thing Isnt it sad you get that upset so much but according to the plain dealer it is at the Lakewood border so there

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3586 on: May 18, 2018, 10:43:38 PM »
You poor thing Isnt it sad you get that upset so much but according to the plain dealer it is at the Lakewood border so there

Good thing the PD never makes mistakes. BTW, they issued a correction.

Offline jjames0408

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #3587 on: May 19, 2018, 02:12:04 AM »
Went to the store in Lakewood CLEVELAND today Luckys Iíve been to the one in Columbus as I said before and love it this store is so nice and so big

Friendly editing necessary.
You poor thing...it is at the Lakewood border....however it's on the Cleveland side...........so there.

Offline osu87

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #3588 on: May 19, 2018, 09:56:07 AM »
Lmao

Offline Pugu

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #3589 on: May 19, 2018, 02:35:03 PM »

The Plain Dealer, unfortunately, is no longer a very reliable source these days. They've cut too many writers and editors, I find it painful to read, as I find a factual error or grammar error in just about every single article.

Offline BelievelandD1

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3590 on: May 19, 2018, 02:43:16 PM »
Even there legacy writers donít edit. You ever read a Paul Hoynes article?

Offline X

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Western Reserve Meadery
« Reply #3591 on: May 19, 2018, 03:01:27 PM »
OK, folks, back on topic.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3592 on: May 29, 2018, 09:33:09 PM »
After four years in Tremont, A Separate Reality record shop set to move to Ohio City
https://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2018/05/a_separate_reality_record_shop.html

Offline osu87

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #3593 on: June 14, 2018, 12:54:38 AM »
Was at Legacy Village and noticed that Chicoís will be moving there obviously from beachwood place in the old Justice for girls store

Offline Mov2Ohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3594 on: June 14, 2018, 09:25:19 AM »
Was at Legacy Village and noticed that Chicoís will be moving there obviously from beachwood place in the old Justice for girls store

Interesting what's going on at Beachwood. First their planned expansion was halted. A couple of big named stores left (probably because of the national retail climate, or their individual chain-wide issues), now you have tenants like nail salons and barber shops opening up in prime spaces.

Offline YABO713

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3595 on: June 14, 2018, 09:29:26 AM »
^That's not why they left...

Offline PoshSteve

• Great American Tower 665'
« Reply #3596 on: June 14, 2018, 06:48:08 PM »
I wouldn't say Beachwood Place is declining. I would say right now they are treading water. While there have been national chain stores which have left or moved, there have been other ones which have moved in a opened in the last year or so - Alex & Ani, MAC, Altar'd State, Evereve, and Zara (first in Ohio). Others like Ann Taylor and Ticknors have remodeled and expanded. It's certainly doing better than most malls in the country and region. I think Beachwood Place's biggest issue, even more so than the perceived safety problem which is not unique here, is that retail on the east side is over stretched. With Pinecrest, there are now 4 upscale malls/lifestyle centers  in a 1.75 mile radius. Though a bit different, Van Aken will soon be joining them too. No matter Pinecrest's promises, these centers all essentially poach from and cannibalize each other.

Offline E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3597 on: June 14, 2018, 07:57:38 PM »
I wouldn't say Beachwood Place is declining. I would say right now they are treading water. While there have been national chain stores which have left or moved, there have been other ones which have moved in a opened in the last year or so - Alex & Ani, MAC, Altar'd State, Evereve, and Zara (first in Ohio). Others like Ann Taylor and Ticknors have remodeled and expanded. It's certainly doing better than most malls in the country and region. I think Beachwood Place's biggest issue, even more so than the perceived safety problem which is not unique here, is that retail on the east side is over stretched. With Pinecrest, there are now 4 upscale malls/lifestyle centers  in a 1.75 mile radius. Though a bit different, Van Aken will soon be joining them too. No matter Pinecrest's promises, these centers all essentially poach from and cannibalize each other.

I suspect indoor malls are on the way out in urban and denser suburban areas.   They can't control loitering gracefully.  If indeed retail is stretched (and I suspect that it is indeed), this puts them at a disadvantage.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3598 on: June 14, 2018, 09:44:28 PM »
Yeah, those teenagers sure are scary! The reasons why malls are going away everywhere are many and often stated. I don't deny that security is a real issue for some, but with the sprawling out of wealth, it makes it very difficult to support large concentrations of retail in less wealthy areas.

Offline jmc8651

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #3599 on: June 15, 2018, 08:17:14 AM »
^ Someone was shot there recently in the middle of the day so it's fair to say there is a security problem. That was after a stampede of kids(who thought they heard gunshots)caused a lock down the day after Christmas. It was also after a fistfight between 2 girls in the food court made the rounds on social media.

As someone who lives near Beachwood Place and still shops there I believe security combined with increased competition is the reason for the mall''s struggles. Why deal with the safety issues when you have multiple alternatives nearby? Also going there after the shooting was like shopping in a prison. They had multiple armed sheriff deputies with bulletproof vests standing at each entrance. Not very inviting!