PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Cleveland: Retail News  (Read 42903 times)

Online mu2010

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
Re: Cleveland: Retail News
« Reply #3570 on: April 17, 2018, 10:16:28 AM »
I find the best diversity of businesses, unfortunately, to be located in slightly dumpy strip malls in older suburbs. Can't stand the urban form of it, but in this era those are the buildings with the cheap rents and large enough supply to bring all kinds of interesting things.

Pearl Road in Parma Heights is a great example

Exactly. Or Mayfield Rd, which we even had a thread about a few years ago.

https://www.urbanohio.com/forum/index.php/topic,25986.msg729472.html#msg729472

Offline Kimolos

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #3571 on: April 17, 2018, 11:32:44 PM »
Cleveland's had similar in existing buildings - 5th Street Arcades recently, the Arcade (Hyatt) in its heyday but whatever it takes retail marketers to put a new spin on things. One thing I'd love to see go away is the use of the word "curated", outside of an art museum's collection.

5Th Street Arcades is a good space.  More of an 'enclosed side street' than typical indoor retail like a suburban mall.  Again, goes to types of businesses there; individually there are some cool and unique options, together they create the overall appeal.  I know what you mean with "curated."  I can't immediately think of a word to replace it that conveys the same thought.  "Chosen" or "Selected" doesn't do it.  Personally, there is the connotation of: (1) authority based on experience (aka expertise?), and (2)  creativity with "curator" that isn't there with other words. 

From a tenant standpoint, Van Aken is coming together:
http://www.shakeronline.com/assets/downloads/city-projects/vanakenontrackp.10.pdf

It says, "...James Beard Award-winning chef Jonathon Sawyer will partner with them as a tenant and curator of food experiences in the Van Aken District." (emphasis added).  And further down, "Sawyer and RMS are finalizing negotiations with a thoughtfully assembled tenant roster that will complement already-named tenants such as Shinola Detroit, Mitchellís Ice Cream, Rising Star Coffee Roasters, Restore Cold Pressed, and Luna Crepes, as well as Sawyerís restaurant." (emphasis added). 

Two things: (1) RMS is smart to work with him, and his curatorial role (prefer "thoughtful assembler?!") is a good idea.  Thought and planning are important yet often overlooked.
(2)  RMS has some good tenants so far.  Not all local, although there are quite a few, but the mix looks thoughtful and, dare I say, curated?  Hope it continues, good for them. 
✌︎🎧📿✚🕶☭🇨🇾🇬🇷

Offline mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3572 on: April 18, 2018, 09:56:49 AM »
^ lol nice finds -- curated bugs me too, but on the positive side it does get the point across and it is certainly a buzzword for millenials.

Online roman totale XVII

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #3573 on: April 27, 2018, 06:27:32 PM »
Took a walk around downtown to enjoy this pleasant afternoon and noticed that the old Metro furniture store in the 1717 building is occupied again. At first glance it looks like another furniture store, but reading the window decals it seems to be some kind of furniture rental place. Not like a rent-a-center, but somewhere you rent, frankly over the top, furnishings for one-off events like a big party. The space seems to be more of a showroom, than an actual retail store.

Offline MyPhoneDead

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #3574 on: May 02, 2018, 04:26:07 PM »
Corner Alley Uptown to close in late May; owner says bowling alley isn't profitable

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The developer behind the Uptown project in University Circle plans to close the Corner Alley, a major retail anchor in the district.

MRN, Ltd., the family-owned real estate company that also owns and manages the Corner Alley, said the business started off strong in late 2014 but simply isn't profitable. Bowlers will knock down their final pins at Uptown in late May.

The Corner Alley downtown, a smaller venue on East Fourth Street, will stay open.

Large-scale retail has been a bit of a challenge at Uptown, a development at Euclid Avenue, Ford Drive and Mayfield Road, since the first wave of apartments, stores and eateries opened in 2012.

http://realestate.cleveland.com/realestate-news/2018/05/corner_alley_uptown_to_close_i.html

Online TBideon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3575 on: May 02, 2018, 05:29:33 PM »
Bollocks

Offline CbusTransit

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #3576 on: May 02, 2018, 08:19:07 PM »
Anybody hear any rumors about Shaker Square's Yours Truly?

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/13228-Shaker-Sq-Cleveland-OH/12417446/

Looks like they are trying to rent out the space?

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #3577 on: May 02, 2018, 08:30:03 PM »

Interesting -- especially in light of the proposed development behind (east) this building.
"Many Americans are willing to die for their country. But pay taxes for it? No way." -- Me.

Offline eyehrtfood

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #3578 on: May 02, 2018, 08:37:12 PM »

There is one Tweet from this week saying rumor is they are closing. That's all I could find online.  A shame for the area

At the same time, the downtown Chagrin Falls location is currently closed - but being gutted and expanded out and up with new modern diner look and bar (like downtown CLE).

Online osu87

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #3579 on: May 15, 2018, 11:58:45 AM »
Luckyís Market at Clifton shops in Lakewood is officially opening tomorrow their second Ohio location.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 03:37:48 PM by osu87 »

Offline surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3580 on: May 15, 2018, 12:20:23 PM »
Lickyís Market at Clifton shops in Lakewood Fakewood is officially opening tomorrow their second Ohio location.

Fixed lol.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3581 on: May 15, 2018, 12:49:46 PM »
Lickyís Market at Clifton shops in Lakewood is officially opening tomorrow their second Ohio location.

Lakewood? Ugh.
"Many Americans are willing to die for their country. But pay taxes for it? No way." -- Me.

Online osu87

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #3582 on: May 17, 2018, 10:07:21 PM »
 Went to the store in Lakewood today Luckys Iíve been to the one in Columbus as I said before and love it this store is so nice and so big

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3583 on: May 17, 2018, 11:54:15 PM »
Oh my God, people. It's NOT in Lakewood.

I posted pictures of it in the Cleveland/Lakewood/The Edge developments thread.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 07:54:27 AM by KJP »

Offline Cleburger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3584 on: May 18, 2018, 01:15:26 AM »
Went to the store in Lakewood CLEVELAND today Luckys Iíve been to the one in Columbus as I said before and love it this store is so nice and so big

Friendly editing necessary.

Online osu87

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #3585 on: May 18, 2018, 09:22:32 PM »
You poor thing Isnt it sad you get that upset so much but according to the plain dealer it is at the Lakewood border so there

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3586 on: May 18, 2018, 09:37:38 PM »
You poor thing Isnt it sad you get that upset so much but according to the plain dealer it is at the Lakewood border so there

Good thing the PD never makes mistakes. BTW, they issued a correction.

Offline jjames0408

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #3587 on: May 19, 2018, 01:06:04 AM »
Went to the store in Lakewood CLEVELAND today Luckys Iíve been to the one in Columbus as I said before and love it this store is so nice and so big

Friendly editing necessary.
You poor thing...it is at the Lakewood border....however it's on the Cleveland side...........so there.

Online osu87

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #3588 on: May 19, 2018, 08:50:07 AM »
Lmao

Offline Pugu

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #3589 on: May 19, 2018, 01:29:03 PM »

The Plain Dealer, unfortunately, is no longer a very reliable source these days. They've cut too many writers and editors, I find it painful to read, as I find a factual error or grammar error in just about every single article.

Online BelievelandD1

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3590 on: May 19, 2018, 01:37:16 PM »
Even there legacy writers donít edit. You ever read a Paul Hoynes article?

Offline X

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Western Reserve Meadery
« Reply #3591 on: May 19, 2018, 01:55:27 PM »
OK, folks, back on topic.