PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Peach District, Columbus  (Read 224 times)

Offline Columbusite

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Peach District, Columbus
« on: January 30, 2010, 04:28:14 PM »
Just north of where Victorian Village ends at W 5th Ave lies the Peach District: the neighborhood I currently call home. This is the newest designation for what has been dryly described as "South Campus". A resident came up with the name, the story of how has long been lost in time, and the area between 9th and 5th (north-south) and High and Neil (east-west) has since been branded as such. You can read more about the neighborhood and events in: The Other Paper, Columbus Alive, 614, U Weekly, among other publications. A local band even titled their newest album: "Greetings from the Peach District". It becomes quite obvious these photos were taken at various times during the past year (or so?). A big plus is living down the street from one of the nation's best vegan restaurants and next to the Short North and as close as I would want to be to OSU (I need my buffer zone).

Peach District colors.

Peach District Classic '09

A peek into Dragonfly's gallery space which is hosting The Greatest Show every Friday night this winter.

Hate to end the thread on a sad note, but this is the real reason why Lambchop got canceled.

C-bus Neighborhoods, Business Districts, & Suburbs (so far)

5th x NW
Adena Brook Ravine
Beechwold
Berwick
Bexley
Dennison Place
East Campus
East Columbus
East Livingston Avenue
East Main Street
East Whittier Street
Eastgate
Eastmoor
Fort Hayes
Franklin Park
Franklinton
Gahanna
Ganther's Place
German Village
Glen Echo South
Grandview Avenue
Grandview Heights
Harrison West
High Street - Old North Columbus
Highland West
Hungarian Village
Indianola Avenue
Italian Village
Iuka Ravine
King-Lincoln
Livingston Park
Marble Cliff
Market Exchange District
Merion Village
Midgard/Woodbine
Milo-Grogan
Milo-Grogan 2010
Necko
North Central
North Clintonville
North Linden
Oak Street
Old Oaks
Old North Columbus Neighborhoods & Iuka Ravine 
Olde Towne East
Parsons Avenue 1
Parsons Avenue 2
Reeb-Hosack
Rush Creek Village
Schumacher Place
South Clintonville
South Linden
Southern Orchards
Sullivant Avenue - Franklinton
Sullivant Avenue - Hilltop
Stambaugh-Elwood
Town-Franklin
University View
Upper Arlington
Vassor Village
Warehouse District
Washington Beach
Weinland Park
Westgate
Wilshire Heights
Woodland Park
Worthington
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 10:25:10 PM by Columbusite »

Offline old edale

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: Peach District, Columbus
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 04:34:09 PM »
Awesome neighborhood!

Offline SFSpike

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 09:36:48 PM »
My last apartment in Columbus was in the building where the vegan restaurant is!  That brought back memories.  It used to be a vintage clothing store on that side and a photography studio on the other side.  The apartment was enormous and unique...brick walls, high ceilings, hardwood floors and no cupboards in the kitchen.  For the first month we had no plumbing, until they finished rehabbing it .  The neighborhood was already well on its way to gentrification, as had already happened to much of Victorian Village by then (this was in 1976!).  But was that place cold in the winter! Yikes. 

I loved the place but hated the landlords....two young guys from OSU who had no clue.  They are probably in their 60s now.  Nice to see all the hard work back then has paid off and continued in the neighborhood.  Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

Offline ink

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 11:30:41 PM »
Great photos!

I live on 9th at the northern border of the Peach District and really enjoy the neighborhood.

Offline Robert Pence

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 06:15:08 AM »
Good tour! It looks like an interesting neighborhood with an abundance of positive energy, the kind of place I could live contentedly.

Offline eastvillagedon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 10:50:53 AM »
I lived on Neil Avenue once. I think the address was 1312, but can't remember for sure. I think that's in the Peach District, though of course that was the pre-Peach District era. I would still love to know how the name came about. I thought at first there were going to be pictures of Atlanta.

I also remember this odd restaurant on King near Neil back in the 70's called "As You Like It" that was always advertising and never had many customers. The theme was an unfocused mix of comfort/bar food (though semi-decent for a campus-area place) with the dining room in a "Shakespearean" motif  :wtf: (apparently worn carpeting and dim fluorescent lighting were characteristic of the Elizabethan era). The service was fairly inattentive at best, and a friend and I who nevertheless ate there regularly dubbed the place "Whether You Like It Or Not."
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 11:18:09 AM by eastvillagedon »

Offline ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 02:22:17 PM »
Peach District LOL!
"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Offline JohnOSU99

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 10:54:07 AM »
Great pics.  I too could easily see myself living in this part of the city. 

Offline tcjoe1985

• Global Moderator
  • Key Tower 947'
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 07:12:49 AM »
Wow!  That's peachy :)

Couldn't resist.  Nice nabe!

Offline Sputnik1000

• Excavation Site
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2016, 10:22:15 PM »
Please add Victorian Village to your list of neighborhoods.