Author Topic: Another dumb-a$$ list / Ranking of cities  (Read 23997 times)

Offline eastvillagedon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: Another dumb-a$$ list / Ranking of cities
« Reply #2070 on: December 22, 2017, 04:25:19 PM »
I was gonna put this on the census thread, but it really belongs here. I guess I can never live in Painesville again since it's the 11th "youngest" city in Ohio, and I'm now...old. :(

http://www.cleveland.com/datacentral/index.ssf/2017/12/ranking_every_ohio_city_county_6.html

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #2071 on: January 15, 2018, 08:28:35 PM »
Three Ohio communities made his list....

25 Neighborhoods that “Have It All”: Affordable Homes, Highly Rated Schools, An Easy Commute AND Plenty of Inventory
Chicago’s Dunning and Ashburn Top the List, Followed by Squirrel Hill in Pittsburgh
https://www.redfin.com/blog//01/25-neighborhoods-that-have-it-all-affordable-homes-highly-rated-schools-an-easy-commute-and-plenty-of-inventory.html
"Treat this (November 2018) election as if it's the last election in which you can fully exercise your democratic rights. Because it just might be." -- Margy Waller.

Offline Robuu

• Premium Member
  • Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #2072 on: January 16, 2018, 11:05:19 AM »
^ Absurd that Mt. Adams would have the third highest transit score on that list. Weekend bus service was recently cut through the neighborhood, and it's spotty during the week with just one route. The downtown bus hub is walkable, though the walk back up Mt. Adams is a little strenuous, and not reasonable for anyone with mobility issues.

Offline Robuu

• Premium Member
  • Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #2073 on: January 16, 2018, 11:20:18 AM »

Offline TBideon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2074 on: January 16, 2018, 11:38:05 AM »
^^^Ashburn??? LOL, not on your life.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #2076 on: January 25, 2018, 04:02:19 PM »
Cleveland ranked among worst places to raise a family in Ohio https://t.co/y7e1N1VMaW via @WKYC
"Treat this (November 2018) election as if it's the last election in which you can fully exercise your democratic rights. Because it just might be." -- Margy Waller.

Offline ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #2077 on: January 26, 2018, 12:04:35 AM »
Well, since this is Ohio Discussion, from that site:

10 WORST

1. East Cleveland
2. Cleveland
3. Warrensville Heights
4. Whitehall
5. Dayton
6. Trotwood
7. Maple Heights
8. Cincinnati
9. Lima
10. Youngstown
"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Offline edale

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #2078 on: January 26, 2018, 12:44:01 AM »
It would be cool if they could have included diversity and access to cultural institutions in these rankings. My childhood was greatly enhanced by going to a diverse elementary school, living in a place where I got exposed to different cultures, and visiting places like the zoo, art museum, natural history museum, etc.

Offline surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2079 on: January 26, 2018, 12:57:56 AM »
It would be cool if they could have included diversity and access to cultural institutions in these rankings. My childhood was greatly enhanced by going to a diverse elementary school, living in a place where I got exposed to different cultures, and visiting places like the zoo, art museum, natural history museum, etc.

Not to give credence to this dumb list, but I think it speaks more to immediate proximity and city boundaries. Like, I grew up between Philly and NYC and every week was a school trip to some amazing cultural institution; a cool museum, Broadway or the Philadelphia zoo. But in my neighborhood people didn't have to lock their doors. It was quiet. And the schools were decent. Likewise you don't have to live in the city limits of Cleveland, Dayton or Cincy to take advantage of the great attributes of those places.   
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 08:39:41 AM by surfohio »

Offline surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2080 on: January 26, 2018, 08:42:58 AM »
Rhode Island, Connecticut and Illinois are the 'worst possible states to live in' (but Louisiana and Mississippi aren't much better)

If you want to lead a happy life, Boulder, Colorado, it seems, is the place to be – because it was named as the happiest city in the U.S. last October.

It topped a list of 25 of America's happiest cities, revealed in the book The Blue Zones of Happiness, by National Geographic Explorer Dan Buettner.

Along with National Geographic and Gallup, he developed an index to measure a population's happiness based on 15 metrics including civic engagement, walkability and healthful food options.

Boulder tops the list with walkability, access to nature and sense of community being contributing factors to its residents' happiness.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5315457/Rhode-Island-Connecticut-Illinois-worst-states.html#ixzz55IGnJKcC

Offline jmicha

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2081 on: January 26, 2018, 08:46:45 AM »
Lol...I can think of much worse places to live than Rhode Island, Connecticut, and Illinois. In fact, most of the list of the most satisfied people comes to mind...

Offline viscomi

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #2082 on: January 26, 2018, 09:27:53 AM »
http://www.wkyc.com/mobile/article/news/local/cleveland/cleveland-ranked-among-top-hygge-cities-in-america/95-508765246

We're hygge!

That's funny to see becuase my gf made a hyeecle insta account a little while back. At the time I questioned why (she has never been to Denmark). I guess she's validated now.

Offline PittsburgoDelendaEst

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #2083 on: January 26, 2018, 11:24:48 AM »

They did include a metric for "attractions" (e.g., zoos, museums, theaters), weighted at about 4%, for which Cleveland ranked 1st. However no amount of attractions is going to overcome the sheer number of other metrics that Cleveland and other urban areas likely finished at the bottom of the pile in such as: Divorce rate, Share of Two-Parent Families, Share of Households Receiving Food Stamps, Unemployment Rate, Foreclosure Rate, % of families below the poverty line, violent crime rate, property crime rate, median family income, high school graduation rate, quality of school system, and share of uninsured children.  Approximately half the weight on this scoring methodology is put towards metrics that a city like Cleveland will measure terribly on.  Adding "diversity" would not appreciably change that unless you gave it comically undue weight.

Offline edale

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #2084 on: January 26, 2018, 02:15:19 PM »
However no amount of attractions is going to overcome the sheer number of other metrics that Cleveland and other urban areas likely finished at the bottom of the pile in such as: Divorce rate, Share of Two-Parent Families, Share of Households Receiving Food Stamps, Unemployment Rate, Foreclosure Rate, % of families below the poverty line, violent crime rate, property crime rate, median family income, high school graduation rate, quality of school system, and share of uninsured children.  Approximately half the weight on this scoring methodology is put towards metrics that a city like Cleveland will measure terribly on.  Adding "diversity" would not appreciably change that unless you gave it comically undue weight.

Raising a family in a safe neighborhood with access to good schools with two parents in the house, and middle to upper middle class income are probably predictive of a good environment to raise children. That situation can exist anywhere, including in central cities. What this list did is measure homogeneity. Some things like crime rate, and share of uninsured children are probably good metrics, but the others just seem to be kind of silly. I have lots of friends whose parents were divorced, but that didn't impact my family. I didn't have to rely on food stamps for meals, but would knowing and interacting with kids who do be such a bad and damaging thing? Furthermore, the racial correlation in these lists is pretty blatant. Is Mason really a great place for a black couple to raise a family? They just had an incident where a teacher told a black student that if he didn't settle down and do his work, he'd be lynched. Great environment to raise a black child! Maybe the list should be retitled "Best Places to Raise a Sheltered White Family."

Offline ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #2085 on: May 10, 2018, 10:42:13 AM »
The most expensive city destinations in the Midwest

According to the latest survey conducted by ChicagoHotels.org, Cincinnati is the most expensive destination in the Midwest.

The survey compared 30 Midwestern cities based on the cost of lodging during May 2018. Most Midwestern cities see their highest visitor numbers during the spring, and hotel rates reach their peak during this time.

In Cincinnati, travelers will have to spend $186 per night, on average, to stay in the cheapest available double room. It has to be noted that only centrally-located hotels rated at least three stars have been considered by the survey.

Cincinnati, OH $186
Madison, WI $184
Ann Arbor, MI $184
Fort Wayne, IN $179
Grand Rapids, MI $174
Indianapolis, IN $169
Kansas City, MO $164
Chicago, IL $157
Columbus, OH $147
Detroit, MI $141
Des Moines, IA $135
Cleveland, OH $134
Omaha, NE $134
Peoria, IL $129
Rockford, IL $124
Lincoln, NE $124
Saint Paul, MN $121
Saint Louis, MO $117
Springfield, MO $117
Rochester, MN $112
Minneapolis, MN $107
Sioux Falls, SD $107
Springfield, IL $107
Cedar Rapids, IO $105
Milwaukee, WI $104
Bismarck, ND $104
Toledo, OH $94
Green Bay, WI $94
Topeka, KS $97
Wichita, KS $87

More below:
https://www.chicagohotels.org/press/midwest18.html
"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Offline Clefan98

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #2086 on: May 10, 2018, 11:12:58 AM »
3 Ohio cities among top 10 metros where $100 will go the furthest

(tied 1) Cincinnati, Ohio
Prices 10.8% lower than U.S. average
Value of $100: $112.11

https://www.cleveland.com/expo/erry-2018/05/b9c40ab8b0731/here_are_the_top_10_areas_wher.html#incart_m-rpt-1

Offline GCrites80s

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • 1492 or 4,192?
« Reply #2087 on: May 10, 2018, 11:57:27 AM »
The most expensive city destinations in the Midwest

According to the latest survey conducted by ChicagoHotels.org, Cincinnati is the most expensive destination in the Midwest.

The survey compared 30 Midwestern cities based on the cost of lodging during May 2018. Most Midwestern cities see their highest visitor numbers during the spring, and hotel rates reach their peak during this time.

In Cincinnati, travelers will have to spend $186 per night, on average, to stay in the cheapest available double room. It has to be noted that only centrally-located hotels rated at least three stars have been considered by the survey.

Cincinnati, OH $186
Madison, WI $184
Ann Arbor, MI $184
Fort Wayne, IN $179
Grand Rapids, MI $174
Indianapolis, IN $169
Kansas City, MO $164
Chicago, IL $157
Columbus, OH $147
Detroit, MI $141
Des Moines, IA $135
Cleveland, OH $134
Omaha, NE $134
Peoria, IL $129
Rockford, IL $124
Lincoln, NE $124
Saint Paul, MN $121
Saint Louis, MO $117
Springfield, MO $117
Rochester, MN $112
Minneapolis, MN $107
Sioux Falls, SD $107
Springfield, IL $107
Cedar Rapids, IO $105
Milwaukee, WI $104
Bismarck, ND $104
Toledo, OH $94
Green Bay, WI $94
Topeka, KS $97
Wichita, KS $87

More below:
https://www.chicagohotels.org/press/midwest18.html

Major bands complain about this all the time since they usually stay in these types of accommodations. There's still not enough hotel rooms Downtown and the other problem is that people are accustomed to these rates.

Offline The_Cincinnati_Kid

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2088 on: May 25, 2018, 06:55:54 PM »
Cincy #7...

We ranked America’s park systems. And the winner is …
by The Trust for Public Land
You are here
Home/Blogs/We ranked America’s park systems. And the winner is …
May 22, 2018

We admit it: we’re park nerds here at The Trust for Public Land. So we’re excited to release this year’s ParkScore® index, our annual ranking of the largest U.S. cities based on park access, acreage, and funding.

ParkScore spurs friendly competition between cities and offers insights into how they plan for parks and open spaces. But our favorite thing about ParkScore is its power to inspire action—helping elected officials and everyday people use data to make the case for parks in their communities.

https://www.tpl.org/10minutewalk#sm.00009s6onx9okd6q10j3urdtcg6fz

Offline edale

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #2089 on: May 31, 2018, 04:42:16 PM »
^ Haven't been to the Twin Cities, but I have heard they have great parks and recreational opportunities. Hard to argue with the rest of that list, except maybe Irvine. Of the big cities I've spent any time in, San Francisco has the best and most plentiful parks by a large margin. Golden Gate Park, the Presidio, Sutro Forest, all the neighborhood 'square' parks (Lafayette, Washington, Alta Plaza, etc.) are each great. Los Angeles is probably the worst parked city I've ever spent time in. Beyond the beaches and the great parks in the hills, like Griffith and Elysian, the rest of the city has almost no sizable parks to speak of. Lots of private and semi-public greenery around, but few quality parks. In Ohio, Cincinnati's park system is definitely the best, imo. Even before Smale Riverfront Park, the park system in the city was amazing. Ault, Eden, Alms, Mt. Airy Forest, the riverfront parks east of downtown, Mt. Echo...each would be the showcase park in most cities.

Offline BigDipper 80

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #2090 on: May 31, 2018, 04:46:01 PM »
^Don't forget Washington Park! It's really the only one of its kind in the region, being a truly urban park. I'd agree that Cincinnati has the best "city parks", but Cleveland and Dayton both have some excellent metroparks and nature preserves. Those are a somewhat different type of park, of course.
“To an Ohio resident - wherever he lives - some other part of his state seems unreal.”

Offline edale

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #2091 on: May 31, 2018, 04:49:51 PM »
^ Oh yeah, Washington Park is definitely special. Greater Dayton has Clifton Gorge and John Bryan State Park, plus Glen Helen in Yellow Springs. Some of my favorite places in the country, to be honest. And I enjoyed my time in Cuyahoga Valley NP and Edgewater Park in Cleveland.

Offline Ram23

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2092 on: June 13, 2018, 07:24:29 PM »
Quite a few Ohio cities made the list:

Least livable: 50 worst US cities to reside in

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/economy/2018/06/13/50-worst-cities-to-live-in/35909271/

Offline Pugu

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #2093 on: June 13, 2018, 08:07:02 PM »
^#1 is Detroit. Thank God for Detroit!  (such a stupid list....)

Offline Toddguy

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #2094 on: June 14, 2018, 09:28:48 AM »
Quite a few Ohio cities made the list:

Least livable: 50 worst US cities to reside in

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/economy/2018/06/13/50-worst-cities-to-live-in/35909271/

Akron, Cincinnati, and Columbus managed to avoid the list. But some of those...really? Atlanta, Salt Lake City. etc.  on that list with 550 plus cities 'better' than them? LOL.

Offline jam40jeff

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2095 on: June 14, 2018, 09:36:50 AM »
There's a reason these are called dumb lists.  They don't even use consistent methodology.  For Cleveland (and many other cities at the top of the list) they used crime rates for the city proper.  However, they removed Las Vegas after they inexplicably decided to use the MSA crime rate.

Offline eastvillagedon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2096 on: July 26, 2018, 04:05:13 PM »
the list everyone has waited for: Watch Out for These Tourist Traps in All 50 States--

Ohio's honor goes to Mary Yoder's Amish Kitchen, Bakery, and Gift Shop in Middlefield

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/tripideas/watch-out-for-these-tourist-traps-in-all-50-states/ss-BBuC4uq#image=36

Offline metrocity

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #2097 on: July 28, 2018, 04:53:09 AM »
^HAHA! Seriously, those greedy conniving amish! Although...maybe the amish stuff can be tousist traps. Hmmm?? If that's the worst Ohio has, that's not so bad.

Offline BigDipper 80

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #2098 on: July 28, 2018, 08:06:30 AM »
^Yeah, at least Ohio doesn’t have a tacky Pigeon Forge or Wisconsin Dells. I’ve always thought it was weird that Sandusky never went full tourist-trap but it’s probably for the best.
“To an Ohio resident - wherever he lives - some other part of his state seems unreal.”

Online Cleburger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2099 on: July 28, 2018, 11:22:01 AM »
the list everyone has waited for: Watch Out for These Tourist Traps in All 50 States--

Ohio's honor goes to Mary Yoder's Amish Kitchen, Bakery, and Gift Shop in Middlefield

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/tripideas/watch-out-for-these-tourist-traps-in-all-50-states/ss-BBuC4uq#image=36

I can't believe Grandpa's Cheese Barn got dissed!  Dumb-a$$ list!