Author Topic: Cincinnati Enquirer: Rampant Racism in the Comments Section  (Read 278 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online thomasbw

  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • *****
  • Posts: 5112
I am just amazed by the amount of racism on the Enquirer's new site.  Some examples:

   
hookster wrote:
The riots started over blacks feeling they have a right to run from the police.



45219er wrote:
When does the NAAWP come to town?

NotoObama:
I love to go to museums but I refuse to go to the FC.  The FC was the end result between the city's desire to give something to blacks so they would quite rioting, and the race hustlers desire to show they could bring home the bacon.  Nobody in their right mind would place a museum in that location, nor would they believe the "proposed" attendance figures.  Everyone involved knew up-front this place would not be able to support itself but they were too afraid to say anything critical out of fear the race card would be used on them.  Odd how the FC was born out of our new, politically correct, version of freedom.


Doogur:
I have been to the National Holocaust Museum in D.C. and wasn't impressed by that tour in the least. They just laid it on too thick and the depression factor was impossible to escape. I'd rather undergo root canal surgery with no novacaine than ever go through the Holocaust Museum again and I would bet the average Caucasian who has visited the Freedom Center might feel the same.

Overlord44 (reffering to the National Holocaust museum in DC)
I'd go if they let me smoke there.

Even the moderator, Carl Weiser asks: "Have you been to the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center? If so, what did you think? If not, why not?

How do you feel about government aid to the center?"

Really.  Doesn't every single museum in this area get government aid? And all the arts organizations, and yet they single out this one place.



« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 03:42:07 PM by thomasbw »

Offline C-Dawg

  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • *****
  • Posts: 6541
Re: Cincinnati Enquirer: Rampant Racism in the Comments Section
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 04:08:52 PM »
The riots started over blacks feeling they have a right to run from the police.

OH MY GOD! These comments are just incredibly sad and dumb.

The FC was the end result between the city's desire to give something to blacks so they would quite rioting, and the race hustlers desire to show they could bring home the bacon.

Ah, I think it might have something to do with the Ohio River. :roll:
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 04:11:12 PM by C-Dawg Njaim »

Offline xumelanie

  • Burj Khalifa 2,722'
  • *****
  • Posts: 1738
Re: Cincinnati Enquirer: Rampant Racism in the Comments Section
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 04:18:46 PM »
I've noticed the racism on the Enquirer's site along with the other news sites in town.  Very horrible and embarrassing to the city.  It reminds me of five year ago when my husband and I bought our first home in Pleasant Ridge.  People actually asked why we were moving into a neighborhood that has black people.  I could not believe it when people actually said this.

I've been to the Holocaust Museum in DC myself.  I can't believe someone was not be impressed with it.  This is a moment in history that should never be repeated.

Offline Jimmy_James

  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • *****
  • Posts: 3053
Re: Cincinnati Enquirer: Rampant Racism in the Comments Section
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 04:32:19 PM »
"45219er wrote:
When does the NAAWP come to town?"

I'm not sure that this one is an example of racism.  It's certainly possible, maybe even probable, but just playing devil's advocate for a second,  I think a lot negative comments directed toward things like the NAACP are because some people are tired of special interest groups.  As a white male, I've noticed that some white males tend to make such comments, as they really have no group that tries to speak for them, not that they (or anyone) need to be spoken for.  I think some of this sentiment is due to feelings of exclusion which lead to resentment, an interesting psychological side effect of having legitimate organizations for every minority without any for the majority.  The only groups I know of that that purport to represent whites are blatantly racist and are shunned by most whites, as opposed to organizations like the NAACP which aren't preaching hatred.  Where does bitterness end and racism begin?  That's the real question. 

I've found that the type of person who criticizes the NAACP often is also the type of person who would make negative comments about peta, greenpeace, and other special interest groups with political agendas.  There's a segment of the population that believes these groups have a little too much power in our political system.  It's not necessarily race related, though the context of someone sending an anonymous note to the Enquirer right before the NAACP's convention certainly leads me to believe this be a case where it is race related.  I just think it's important to examine this type of accusation from all sides, that's all.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 05:25:19 PM by Jimmy_James »

Offline Jimmy_James

  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • *****
  • Posts: 3053
Re: Cincinnati Enquirer: Rampant Racism in the Comments Section
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 04:37:34 PM »
I've been to the Holocaust Museum in DC myself.  I can't believe someone was not be impressed with it.  This is a moment in history that should never be repeated.

That's an amazing museum and I couldn't agree more.  As for it never being repeated, sadly, similar things have happened before and since.  I agree with your sentiment though.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 04:37:54 PM by Jimmy_James »

Offline seicer

  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • *****
  • Posts: 10692
Re: Cincinnati Enquirer: Rampant Racism in the Comments Section
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 05:41:45 PM »
Newspaper comment sections tend to be unmoderated and full of crap, to put it lightly.

Offline SFSpike

  • Rhodes Tower 629'
  • ***
  • Posts: 622
Re: Cincinnati Enquirer: Rampant Racism in the Comments Section
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2008, 05:56:45 PM »
Cincinnati doesn't have the monopoly on racism or jerks.  Unfortunately, it is pervasive across a much broader base of American society than one would think.  The entire argument about the museum is so ridiculous--the city and its residents should be so proud to have it as a testament to their part in the struggle against slavery.  Who could fault that?  And I think that the NAAWP has existed in this country for about 225 years, it's called Congress.
I better not say anymore before I get myself in trouble!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 06:12:44 PM by SFSpike »

Offline unusualfire

  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • *****
  • Posts: 4674
Re: Cincinnati Enquirer: Rampant Racism in the Comments Section
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 06:44:07 PM »
Only in Ohio. I've seen the comments and have replied a few times. If you goto other major newspapers message boards it's not NEARLY prevalent. I've seen a comment on the Enquirer board one time saying the poor economy is because of the failed loans given to blacks and other minority. People just have no clue.

Offline Jeffrey

  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • *****
  • Posts: 2158
Re: Cincinnati Enquirer: Rampant Racism in the Comments Section
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2008, 08:07:04 PM »
^
I dont know about that.  Not to get into a city vs city thing on which newspaper comments section is more racist, but the Dayton papers comments section (mostly unmoderated) can get pretty bad, but its usually a tad more veiled...those people type comments...

Ive re-posted some of those here on occasion, and there was a lot of negativity out there again with Obama's visit to town on Friday.

But I have to say that yes, the anonymity of the internet removes the inhibition, and people speak freely where you'd not hear them talking like this in real life....and that is the scary part.


Offline MyTwoSense

  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • *****
  • Posts: 29418
Re: Cincinnati Enquirer: Rampant Racism in the Comments Section
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2008, 09:08:54 PM »
Only in Ohio. I've seen the comments and have replied a few times. If you goto other major newspapers message boards it's not NEARLY prevalent. I've seen a comment on the Enquirer board one time saying the poor economy is because of the failed loans given to blacks and other minority. People just have no clue.

I hope you're be dramatic, because that comment is about as thought provoking and as accurate as the comments were criticizing! Try reading papers in Boston, DC, Seattle, Atlanta, Newark or NoLa to name a few.  Racists and ignorant people are everywhere!  Even here on UrbanOhio.

There are forumers here who says some off the wall straight racist sh*t on there local paper, but don't dare say those thing here.  why?  Because the newspapers are unmoderated, unlike UO.

Offline UncleRando

  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • *****
  • Posts: 14999
Re: Cincinnati Enquirer: Rampant Racism in the Comments Section
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2008, 09:14:47 PM »
I've viewed comment boards, on newspaper sites, in several different areas around the country, and have noticed that this kind of shenanigans is everywhere.  It's not just racism...all types of prejudices come out when people can post anonymously.  It's pretty depressing.

Online thomasbw

  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • *****
  • Posts: 5112
Re: Cincinnati Enquirer: Rampant Racism in the Comments Section
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2008, 09:16:24 PM »
"45219er wrote:
When does the NAAWP come to town?"


The republican party's convention is in Minneapolis this year

Offline dmerkow

  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • *****
  • Posts: 3320
Re: Cincinnati Enquirer: Rampant Racism in the Comments Section
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2008, 10:34:45 PM »
City-data is another place that spends a lot of time in veiled comments.

I've noticed the racism on the Enquirer's site along with the other news sites in town.  Very horrible and embarrassing to the city.  It reminds me of five year ago when my husband and I bought our first home in Pleasant Ridge.  People actually asked why we were moving into a neighborhood that has black people.  I could not believe it when people actually said this.


Now that is really depressing . . .

Offline TheCOV

  • Great American Tower 665'
  • ***
  • Posts: 777
Re: Cincinnati Enquirer: Rampant Racism in the Comments Section
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2008, 11:05:38 PM »
Puhleeeeeez people.. idiots who spew racist remarks are not just in Cincinnati.  Jimmy James...I agree with your point of view about  basic apathy towards all special interest groups.  Describes me!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 11:06:25 PM by TheCOV »

Offline ColDayMan

  • ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • *****
  • Posts: 22007
    • UrbanOhio
Re: Cincinnati Enquirer: Rampant Racism in the Comments Section
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2008, 11:58:46 PM »
Try Los Angeles Times' comments.  THEN get back to me on the "Only in Ohio" bullsh!t.
"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Offline SFSpike

  • Rhodes Tower 629'
  • ***
  • Posts: 622
Re: Cincinnati Enquirer: Rampant Racism in the Comments Section
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2008, 12:35:58 AM »
You're not kidding.  I've heard some racist things in San Francisco that would curl your hair.  And people will say things without batting an eye.  Sometimes when there is a great diversity it gives bigots a bigger palette. 
Unfortunately it is a world wide phenomenon. 

Offline David

  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • *****
  • Posts: 13808
Re: Cincinnati Enquirer: Rampant Racism in the Comments Section
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2008, 01:33:28 AM »
You should all check out a hilarious website/forum called StormFront

Offline unusualfire

  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • *****
  • Posts: 4674
Re: Cincinnati Enquirer: Rampant Racism in the Comments Section
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2008, 07:02:01 AM »
I actually seen alot of stuff on the yahoo message boards, but they shut that down. I can see why.

Offline Cincinnatus

  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • *****
  • Posts: 5089
Re: Cincinnati Enquirer: Rampant Racism in the Comments Section
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2008, 11:34:08 AM »
I'd rather read someone's opinionated post with outward pre-justice or racism versus covering up their real problem and sitting in denial.

Welcome to America.

Offline Jimmy_James

  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • *****
  • Posts: 3053
Re: Cincinnati Enquirer: Rampant Racism in the Comments Section
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2008, 11:47:19 AM »
"45219er wrote:
When does the NAAWP come to town?"


The republican party's convention is in Minneapolis this year

Careful with those quotes, dude.  I don't want people scanning through this thread to think that I said that.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 11:47:55 AM by Jimmy_James »

Offline Cincinnatus

  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • *****
  • Posts: 5089
Re: Cincinnati Enquirer: Rampant Racism in the Comments Section
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2008, 11:54:08 AM »
"45219er wrote:
When does the NAAWP come to town?"


The republican party's convention is in Minneapolis this year

Careful with those quotes, dude.  I don't want people scanning through this thread to think that I said that.

lol

Offline SFSpike

  • Rhodes Tower 629'
  • ***
  • Posts: 622
Re: Cincinnati Enquirer: Rampant Racism in the Comments Section
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2008, 04:56:06 PM »
People can be the worst after a cocktail or two to "unwind".  At some social gatherings I've been to, statements that have come out of educated, traveled, cosmopolitan peoples' mouths are amazing.  Disappointing, but not terribly surprising, nor amusing.

Writing to a newspaper with racist sh#t anonymously is cowardly in the extreme.  If you are going to be a bigot, at least own it.

I question the editorial judgement of publishing the letters, as certainly they must get more than one or two letter a day, and they can't all be hateful.  Are they trying to stir up racial tension, make the populace sound ignorant and hick, or do they just not care? 
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 08:24:24 PM by SFSpike »

Online thomasbw

  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • *****
  • Posts: 5112
Re: Cincinnati Enquirer: Rampant Racism in the Comments Section
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2008, 05:14:18 PM »
I would have to assume the editors are thinking "controversy generates readership"

Offline Time

  • Metropolitan Tower 224'
  • *
  • Posts: 132
Re: Cincinnati Enquirer: Rampant Racism in the Comments Section
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2008, 06:06:31 PM »
So I am not the only one battling the ignorance on the enquliar site?

Offline the pope

  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • *****
  • Posts: 5771
Re: Cincinnati Enquirer: Rampant Racism in the Comments Section
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2008, 07:10:40 PM »
So I am not the only one battling the ignorance on the enquliar site?

I believe its a losing battle on any newspaper site. The people don't comment at newspaper.com to have informed discussion, they log on to prattle away from their myopic viewpoint.

Online thomasbw

  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • *****
  • Posts: 5112
Re: Cincinnati Enquirer: Rampant Racism in the Comments Section
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2008, 07:29:36 PM »
these are just typos, but in the enquirer website stated both:

1. The NAACP was founded in 2009
2. The NAACP has been around for 99 yaers [yes, years was mispelled]
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 07:29:53 PM by thomasbw »

Online thomasbw

  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • *****
  • Posts: 5112
Re: Cincinnati Enquirer: Rampant Racism in the Comments Section
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2008, 07:32:41 PM »
oneyebat wrote:
It is a question not often talked-about out loud in politics, but I wonder how many black voters will vote for Barack Obama just because he is black and not because he the best candidate for our country?

Racist comes in all colors.

I just included this one because of the grammar

Online thomasbw

  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • *****
  • Posts: 5112
Re: Cincinnati Enquirer: Rampant Racism in the Comments Section
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2008, 07:35:24 PM »
westside513 wrote:
Wait until Obama doesn't win....The sad part is, we'll be hearing why everyone is racist because they didn't vote for the black candidate and how nothing has changed and white peiple are the devil and blah, blah, blah......It will be the same story we always hear; it's someone elses fault. I didn't lose because I wasn't the best candidate and people see past my puppet strings, I lost because everyone hates black people. I got pulled over because I was racially profiled. I can't get out of the hood because.....I can't go to school because...I can't get a job because....get over it.
Of course there is racism but let me tell you, it goes both ways. If you ask me, the most racist people out there are the black folks that continue to point out how racist everyone is.

Online thomasbw

  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • *****
  • Posts: 5112
Re: Cincinnati Enquirer: Rampant Racism in the Comments Section
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2008, 07:36:18 PM »
I am beginning to feel like my posts are sound like the Cincinnati Beacon.

Offline buckeye1

  • One World Trade Center 1,776'
  • ****
  • Posts: 1435
Re: Cincinnati Enquirer: Rampant Racism in the Comments Section
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2008, 11:27:02 PM »
Here's a good one from cleveland.com regarding the Twinsburg police officer being killed (wonder what shade of skin "those" people have?):

Posted by cleveland78 on 07/13/08 at 9:58PM
Twinsburg and Macedonia are becoming more and more like Bedford and Garfield Heights as those citizens move outward. My realtor told me years ago that she targets those areas when she has listings in Twinsburg and Macedonia as that's who is moving to the area. Hey, I know a lot of you won't like what I'm saying, but it's true. Northern Summit used to be a quiet area, but now Cuyahoga Cty folks are bringing their problems with them.

Offline C-Dawg

  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • *****
  • Posts: 6541
Re: Cincinnati Enquirer: Rampant Racism in the Comments Section
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2008, 11:52:40 PM »
^Well, I don't have the census data for those areas in front of me, but that comment most likely means one of three things:

1. They're non-white
2. They're poor
3. They're poor and non-white

Usually when discussing things like crime distributions, "those people" refers to people who are poor or minority. It can be classist or racist, but it's hard to infer with a vague statement like that. Either way, it's a fear of outsiders and stereotyping.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 11:53:56 PM by C-Dawg Njaim »

Offline Cincinnatus

  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • *****
  • Posts: 5089
Re: Cincinnati Enquirer: Rampant Racism in the Comments Section
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2008, 12:08:06 AM »
Ironic, I just read this article from City-Data ...

Quote
I say good for Simone. He took another scumbag off the street. Who knows what this guy could have been capable of. He payed the ultimate price for his crime.Simone should be commended for his bravery and action in this incident.

One other thing I have noticed is that the black leaders of this city have not said anything, but had Simone shot a black man they would have been calling it a racial shooting and would chastise him even though he did exactly what he was suppose to. They would be ready to hang him on Public Square.

Gotta love newspaper comments sections! ;)

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2008/07/supercop_jim_simone_talks_abou.html

Offline MyTwoSense

  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • *****
  • Posts: 29418
Re: Cincinnati Enquirer: Rampant Racism in the Comments Section
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2008, 12:42:52 AM »
I'd rather read someone's opinionated post with outward pre-justice or racism versus covering up their real problem and sitting in denial.

Welcome to America.

What good does that do.  They won't say it to their face.

Offline tinkerbelle

  • Dirt Lot 0'
  • *
  • Posts: 73
Re: Cincinnati Enquirer: Rampant Racism in the Comments Section
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2008, 01:30:56 AM »
Welcome to America.
Word.

I have only been to the Cincinnati area a handful of times and I met a fair share of racist jerks. I'd like to give the area the benefit of the doubt though. Maybe my family happened to venture into too many Parmaesque sections and missed the ones where we were welcome?

Racism is not limited to just Cincy or Ohio for that matter. Heck, some of the worst cases of racial intolerance that I've experienced were in Pennsylvania (despite its Quaker roots). Also, it's interesting how many of the cities that are mentioned as the most liberal and open-minded ones are heavily white, percentage wise.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 02:32:50 AM by tinkerbelle »

Offline tinkerbelle

  • Dirt Lot 0'
  • *
  • Posts: 73
Re: Cincinnati Enquirer: Rampant Racism in the Comments Section
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2008, 01:31:37 AM »
I didn't mean to quote my last post, sorry.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 01:34:08 AM by tinkerbelle »

Offline Cincinnatus

  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • *****
  • Posts: 5089
Re: Cincinnati Enquirer: Rampant Racism in the Comments Section
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2008, 07:50:57 AM »
Anyone remember the comments Dusty Baker brought out from his former zip codes?

One city is recognized as being extremely tolerant and the other is one of the nation's largest metropolises. It wasn't that long ago. Point, limiting it to OH is a very silly, silly statement.

Offline UncleRando

  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • *****
  • Posts: 14999
Re: Cincinnati Enquirer: Rampant Racism in the Comments Section
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2008, 08:22:22 AM »
oneyebat wrote:
It is a question not often talked-about out loud in politics, but I wonder how many black voters will vote for Barack Obama just because he is black and not because he the best candidate for our country?

Tell me, am I the only one who doesn't have a problem with a black voter wanting to vote for Obama regardless of whether they know his positions or not?  People have certainly made up their votes on much sillier things.

Offline UncleRando

  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • *****
  • Posts: 14999
Re: Cincinnati Enquirer: Rampant Racism in the Comments Section
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2008, 12:49:57 PM »
From the Atlanta Journal Constitution comment section about the proposed extension of MARTA rail into Gwinnett County.  There is a 1 cent sales tax increase on the ballot today to pay for the extension.

By NorcrossRules
July 15, 2008 8:38 AM

"We donít need Marta out in Gwinnett County! It will just bring all the criminals, thugs and rif raf from Atlanta out hereó-we have enough of that already and donít need more. Let them go to the Perimeter Mall or 5 points! Keep marta out of Gwinnett!!!"
http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/shared-blogs/ajc/gwinnetttalk/entries/2008/07/15/will_marta_vote.html
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 12:50:18 PM by UncleRando »

Offline X

  • Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • *****
  • Posts: 10055
    • Western Reserve Meadery
Re: Cincinnati Enquirer: Rampant Racism in the Comments Section
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2008, 07:52:20 PM »
oneyebat wrote:
It is a question not often talked-about out loud in politics, but I wonder how many black voters will vote for Barack Obama just because he is black and not because he the best candidate for our country?

Tell me, am I the only one who doesn't have a problem with a black voter wanting to vote for Obama regardless of whether they know his positions or not?  People have certainly made up their votes on much sillier things.

Probably not, but would you have a problem with a white person deciding that they were going to vote for McCain because he is the white candidate?  My guess is that most people, rightly, would consider that racist.

Online thomasbw

  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • *****
  • Posts: 5112
Re: Cincinnati Enquirer: Rampant Racism in the Comments Section
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2008, 07:56:35 PM »
I think the difference is that the Obama vote would be to remedy past discrimination, and the McCain vote would be to perpetuate that discrimination

Offline X

  • Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • *****
  • Posts: 10055
    • Western Reserve Meadery
Re: Cincinnati Enquirer: Rampant Racism in the Comments Section
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2008, 07:58:59 PM »
You can remedy discrimination with more discrimination, then?

Offline X

  • Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • *****
  • Posts: 10055
    • Western Reserve Meadery
Re: Cincinnati Enquirer: Rampant Racism in the Comments Section
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2008, 08:06:13 PM »
BTW, I don't think that is why most blacks are voting for Obama, and am not meaning to imply that.  If you can infer anything about Obama from the fact that he has near unanimous support from black folks it is that he is a Democrat, not that he is black. (see also: Kenneth Blackwell, Alan Keyes)

Online thomasbw

  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • *****
  • Posts: 5112
Re: Cincinnati Enquirer: Rampant Racism in the Comments Section
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2008, 08:09:21 PM »
Think of it this way:

We are running a marathon. 

You have a 5 mile head start. We run for 10 more miles, you are now at 15 miles, I am at 10 miles.  We run ten more miles; you are at 25 and I am at 15.  Even if I was running 15% faster than you I will never catch you.

If something isn't done to remedy my position, at what point does the race become fair?

Offline DanB

  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • *****
  • Posts: 3416
Re: Cincinnati Enquirer: Rampant Racism in the Comments Section
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2008, 08:23:41 PM »
Electing Obama president to make up for past discrimination would be the same as finding an obviously guilty black football hero not guilty of murder to make up for past discrimination!  Could never happen!

Oh, never mind............

Offline X

  • Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • *****
  • Posts: 10055
    • Western Reserve Meadery
Re: Cincinnati Enquirer: Rampant Racism in the Comments Section
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2008, 08:24:00 PM »
Never of course, but the lives of millions over the span of generations are a lot more complicated than one marathon between two individuals, so I don't find it an apt metaphor.

Offline UncleRando

  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • *****
  • Posts: 14999
Re: Cincinnati Enquirer: Rampant Racism in the Comments Section
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2008, 08:35:01 PM »
oneyebat wrote:
It is a question not often talked-about out loud in politics, but I wonder how many black voters will vote for Barack Obama just because he is black and not because he the best candidate for our country?

Tell me, am I the only one who doesn't have a problem with a black voter wanting to vote for Obama regardless of whether they know his positions or not?  People have certainly made up their votes on much sillier things.

Probably not, but would you have a problem with a white person deciding that they were going to vote for McCain because he is the white candidate?  My guess is that most people, rightly, would consider that racist.

I don't see that as a similar comparison.  This is a first for a minority group in America...a minority group that has suffered from generations of discrimination and slavery in the past.  If I were say an elderly black person who typically votes Republican...I could very easily see something like this particular moment in time changing their position.  The change is not in opposition to a white person (as your example is for the opposite), but rather voting for something less concrete.  It is an emotion, it is a movement, and it is a statement for a minority group that has been waiting for a moment like this for some time.  That's why I don't see anything wrong with it...now with that said, I'll be voting Obama for his policies and ability to work with people - not against them.

Offline DanB

  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • *****
  • Posts: 3416
Re: Cincinnati Enquirer: Rampant Racism in the Comments Section
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2008, 08:50:12 PM »
That's why I don't see anything wrong with it...now with that said, I'll be voting Obama for his policies and ability to work with people - not against them.

..and I don't hate you or them for it!

Offline the pope

  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • *****
  • Posts: 5771
Re: Cincinnati Enquirer: Rampant Racism in the Comments Section
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2008, 09:27:23 PM »
is this the obama thread?

Offline Neville

  • Burj Khalifa 2,722'
  • *****
  • Posts: 1984
Re: Cincinnati Enquirer: Rampant Racism in the Comments Section
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2008, 09:36:37 PM »
Think of it this way:

We are running a marathon. 

You have a 5 mile head start. We run for 10 more miles, you are now at 15 miles, I am at 10 miles.  We run ten more miles; you are at 25 and I am at 15.  Even if I was running 15% faster than you I will never catch you.

If something isn't done to remedy my position, at what point does the race become fair?


Just for the sake of argument here.... I like to argue... If you were running 15% faster, you would need to hold time as the constant.

You run 6 mph. I run 5mph (approx 15% slower)...

If I had a 5 mile head start, I'd have been running for 1 hour. After another hour, I would be at 10miles and you at 6. After another hour I would be at 15 miles and you are 12. After 4 hours I would be at 20 and you at 18. 5 hrs, 25 and 24, and 6 hours 30 and 30.

You would catch up after 6 hours.

Point being... you eventually catch up if you are going faster. :-)

Some people see affirmative action and the NAACP at that 15% helper.

Offline C-Dawg

  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • *****
  • Posts: 6541
Re: Cincinnati Enquirer: Rampant Racism in the Comments Section
« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2008, 11:13:59 PM »
^pretty good.

Online thomasbw

  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • *****
  • Posts: 5112
Re: Cincinnati Enquirer: Rampant Racism in the Comments Section
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2008, 06:25:13 PM »
Think of it this way:

We are running a marathon. 

You have a 5 mile head start. We run for 10 more miles, you are now at 15 miles, I am at 10 miles.  We run ten more miles; you are at 25 and I am at 15.  Even if I was running 15% faster than you I will never catch you.

If something isn't done to remedy my position, at what point does the race become fair?


Just for the sake of argument here.... I like to argue... If you were running 15% faster, you would need to hold time as the constant.

You run 6 mph. I run 5mph (approx 15% slower)...

If I had a 5 mile head start, I'd have been running for 1 hour. After another hour, I would be at 10miles and you at 6. After another hour I would be at 15 miles and you are 12. After 4 hours I would be at 20 and you at 18. 5 hrs, 25 and 24, and 6 hours 30 and 30.

You would catch up after 6 hours.

Point being... you eventually catch up if you are going faster. :-)

Some people see affirmative action and the NAACP at that 15% helper.

The only problem is that marathons end at 26.2 miles.

I don't actually think that people who are voting for McCain "because he is white" are actually voting for McCain because he is white, they are actually voting against Obama because he is black.

However I don't think anyone (or a very small number) voting for Obama "because he is black" is actually voting against McCain because he is white.