PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Cincinnati: Over-the-Rhine: 3CDC Development and News  (Read 14666 times)

Offline ryanlammi

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: Cincinnati: Over-the-Rhine: 3CDC Development and News
« Reply #3450 on: March 16, 2017, 10:43:43 AM »
Does the sale include the city lots that are submerged under the expanded Liberty St.?  I seem to recall on Cagis that all of those lots still exist, all the way west to the public housing. 

According to DOTE, those parcels will be available to the adjacent property owner to purchase from the city. They don't automatically own the parcels, but they will be given the first chance to purchase them from the city.

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3451 on: March 16, 2017, 10:55:27 AM »
Is there a utility of some kind running under the whole length of Liberty St. or could they narrow just this one block right now?

Offline jmicha

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3452 on: March 16, 2017, 10:58:26 AM »
From what I recall all utilities are under the north side of the road which means the road diet would be less challenging here than in other scenarios.

I'm not sure how they'd go about a single block road diet, but it sure would put pressure to complete it fully and I'd be in support of that.

I can't imagine 3CDC wouldn't push for those parcels in this scenario. That's a big site and could house a serious amount of development. Increasing that by 10% would be a big deal.

I also doubt that we'd see single family homes here. They wouldn't sell well. If 3CDC can't get their townhomes on a quiet side street to sell for what they want they stand no chance by Liberty. I'd imagine we'll see a large mixed use development with a garage behind/under it here.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 10:59:33 AM by jmicha »

Online taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3453 on: March 16, 2017, 11:02:19 AM »
Is there a utility of some kind running under the whole length of Liberty St. or could they narrow just this one block right now?

I don't think there are any utilities running under the "new" lanes of Liberty Street. When DOTE talked about the narrowing, they wanted to do it as quickly and cheaply as possible. A new sidewalk would be built on the south side and the existing pavement would be re-striped but the project would not "touch" the northern sidewalk at all in order to cut costs. If there were underground utilities that would need to be moved, the whole thing would be cost prohibitive.

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3454 on: March 16, 2017, 11:09:17 AM »
I just counted on Cagis and right now 3CDC just bought 18 developable 25-foot lots.  If Liberty St. were narrowed back to its original 25~-foot self, they get 8 more lots.  So they're more likely going to get the equivalent of 22 lots. 

The Mercer Townhomes are boring designs without usable back courtyards.  They look like the junk "slot homes" they sell in Denver and Nashville.  3CDC blew it there, they needed underground parking so that the houses could have had nice rear courtyards. 

Offline jim uber

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #3455 on: March 16, 2017, 04:22:41 PM »
Wow. The intersection of Liberty and Elm is going to look very different in five years.

Speaking of that, has anyone heard what's up with the Liberty and Elm apartments? They were supposed to go in front of the zoning board of appeals this morning.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 04:23:27 PM by jim uber »

Offline ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #3456 on: March 16, 2017, 11:04:42 PM »
3CDC starting next wave of development, including a few ‘micro’ condos

Developers recently started work on two residential projects in Over-the-Rhine that will be part of Cincinnati Center City Development Corp.’s seventh wave of condo development.

More below:
http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/03/16/exclusive-3cdc-starting-next-wave-of-development.html
"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Offline IAGuy39

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #3457 on: March 17, 2017, 10:03:43 AM »
Gosh I am so happy these are getting done, the buildings on E. 13th are some of my favorite in Over The Rhine and and they've been boarded up for so long.  The buildings on West 15th are really unique as well.

I wonder if they are going to rehabilitate the large building across the street from there soon, as well.

Just curious, does anyone know if this building is getting rehabbed?  Looks like it might be last few times I drove by.  This is my absolute favorite building in all of Cincinnati, I wish I had the money to buy and rehab myself.  Maybe when I retire in 36 years I can buy it ;-)  I would love to know the history of this building (1420 Elm Street)

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1107676,-84.5187608,3a,75y,46.8h,107t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sbSV1bQa3Xt0CS5Pve_mBkA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3458 on: March 17, 2017, 10:11:19 AM »
^Yes, that is being rehabbed into what appears to be a single-family house. 

Offline JYP

• Global Moderator
    • Urban Cincy
« Reply #3459 on: March 17, 2017, 10:21:21 AM »
Speaking of that, has anyone heard what's up with the Liberty and Elm apartments? They were supposed to go in front of the zoning board of appeals this morning.

I've been wondering as well. Have seen anything on it at all.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 12:05:53 PM by JYP »
“All truly great thoughts are conceived while walking.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline JYP

• Global Moderator
    • Urban Cincy
« Reply #3460 on: March 17, 2017, 12:05:16 PM »

I've been wondering as well. Have seen anything on it at all.

Looks like we have our answer:

The city’s planning commission and zoning board of appeals have approved Source 3’s final development plan, but the OTR Community Council will weigh whether to take the matter to court through another appeal.

3CDC acquires big parcel on Liberty Street

By Chris Wetterich

The Cincinnati Center City Development Corp. has acquired a half-acre property at Liberty and Elm streets along the streetcar line but does not yet have plans for it, according to a spokesman for the non-profit developer.

3CDC bought 1566 Elm St. for $1.5 million and closed on the sale earlier this month, according to Hamilton County auditor’s records.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 12:06:07 PM by JYP »
“All truly great thoughts are conceived while walking.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline jwulsin

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #3461 on: March 17, 2017, 12:08:26 PM »
^Yes, that is being rehabbed into what appears to be a single-family house.

I think @IAGuy39 was talking about the beautiful 4-story building at 1420 Elm, which is being renovated into 8 condos:
https://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/buildings/historic-conservation/historic-conservation-board/july-11-2016-staff-reports-and-attachments/

Offline jim uber

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #3462 on: March 17, 2017, 12:50:36 PM »
^Actually I've heard those are going to be apartments, not condos.

Offline seicer

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3463 on: March 31, 2017, 02:02:37 PM »
3CDC

Over-the-Rhine was recognized as one of “Preservation’s Best of 2016” by Preservation Action, a national group focused on promoting historic preservation. The award highlighted the revitalization of OTR as a success story and recognized the effective use of historic tax credits as one of the driving factors. The City of Cincinnati, the OTR Foundation and 3CDC were presented with the award in a ceremony that took place on March 15, during National Historic Preservation Advocacy Week in Washington, D.C.

Development Projects

Earlier this month, 3CDC held a Ziegler Park Community Input Session at Rothenberg Academy. 3CDC representatives provided an update on the project, and community members offered feedback and suggestions on various aspects and elements of the park, including potential programming and pricing for the pool. Another input session is planned for mid-April.

The renovation of Music Hall has led to several unexpected discoveries that are receiving special attention from local preservationists. Surprises that have surfaced along the way will allow people to see the building as it used to be. WCPO recently featured some of the surprises in an online piece and an accompanying TV story.

3CDC’s seventh phase of mixed-use development is officially underway and includes renovations of the Stafford and Glassmeyer buildings. Upon completion, these projects will result in multiple street level commercial spaces and residential condo units – some of which will be “micro” units.

Available Condos/Townhomes

As the temperature has started rising outside, the OTR housing market has also been heating up. This past month, six of the 17 condos at the recently completely Allison went under contract. We’ve listed several other units at this mixed-use development, which is located at 15th and Race streets. Units are also still available at Parvis Lofts, a result of 3CDC’s ongoing conversion of apartments to condos, and only two townhomes remain available at Mercer III. Visit the Condos section of the 3CDC website to view additional condos and townhomes, which are always being added as they become available.

Commercial Tenants

Play Library, a toy and game loan library for kids of all ages, recently opened for business at 1517 Elm Street. Originally started as a pop-up shop, Play Library opened its doors permanently on March 15 with a Grand Opening Party to celebrate its new brick-and-mortar space. Memberships are now available!

MidiCi, a Neopolitan pizza company with a passion for people, recently signed a lease for a 4,630-square-foot space at the 6th & Race corner of the 84.51° building.

Be on the lookout later today for the next edition of our Tenant Spotlight series. Last month’s spotlight featured Swoon – an upscale lingerie boutique in OTR. We hope you’re enjoying this unique opportunity to get to know local businesses and their owners.

--

March 2017 Progress Update

THE ALLISON
Previously known as Race Street Condos, units at The Allison are officially complete. Condos are now being sold at the mixed-use development located by the 3CDC Sales Team. Visit the Condos section of the 3CDC website for more information, or to set up a tour.

EMPOWER MEDIAMARKETING
Construction continues to progress at the future headquarters of Empower MediaMarketing. All floors have now been poured. Interior plumbing and electrical rough-ins are in process, beginning on the first floor. Exterior framing has begun at the southwest corner of the building and interior framing has started around the interior stairs, restrooms, and electrical rooms. Construction remains on target, with an expected completion date of August 2017.

GLASSMEYER
Work on the historic Glassmeyer building is moving along nicely. Exterior masonry work is nearing completion and tuckpointing of the exterior brick will follow. New staircases were installed in the 15th Street building, where only ladders previously existed. Currently, crews are framing the interior walls and fitting out the HVAC, electrical, and plumbing systems, as well as installing insulation throughout. Window installation will also take place in the coming weeks.

MUSIC HALL
Over the course of the month, crews have continued to make exciting progress both inside and outside the hall. Inside, the new escalators have been completely installed, the risers have been poured in Springer Auditorium, and cove restoration work continues in Corbett Tower. Outside, masonry restoration work, including brick repair and stone cleaning, has officially begun. For additional details, subscribe to regular project updates, and refer to the archive for past updates.

THE STAFFORD
Construction and renovation efforts are well underway at the Stafford, with continuous progress being made. Window installation has begun, and four residential units within the building will feature bedroom skylights. Crews are nearly finished hanging drywall and are on to the first coat of paint. Additionally, they have begun prepping the existing floors for new hardwood and tile.

ZIEGLER PARK
Things are coming together at Ziegler Park as the pool and garage have continued taking shape. Although crews experienced minor delays due to inclement weather, construction of the above grade perimeter walls along the south and west sides of the garage are complete, while backfilling and waterproofing work continues. In the pool area, work has been focused on construction of the surge tank and pool equipment building, as well as the pool itself. To learn more, sign up to receive project updates, or browse through the archive.

15TH & VINE
At 15th and Vine, augercast piles for the new foundation have been installed throughout the site. Work on the pile caps is scheduled to begin the first week of April. Together, they will form the structural foundation to support the new-construction components of the building. Concrete for the new foundation will be poured in late April through early May. Leasing information is available on the 3CDC website.

Offline jwulsin

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #3464 on: April 20, 2017, 02:33:49 PM »
http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/04/20/exclusive-this-could-be-3cdc-s-next-big-otr.html

The project includes three large buildings... and is contingent on getting historic tax credits. If they receive the tax credits, here's how they'll renovate the buildings:
  • 1500-1502 Vine - first floor commercial, upper floors office
  • 1434 Vine - first floor commercial, upper floors office
  • 1301 Walnut - first floor commerical, upper floors residential

Online thebillshark

« Reply #3465 on: April 20, 2017, 02:53:41 PM »
Hmm... OK, but I hope they don't start going nuts building out office space. I really do think OTR works better as a residential neighborhood. An office doesn't need to be in a "human scale" neighborhood but it's extremely beneficial for a residence to be.

Offline jmicha

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3466 on: April 20, 2017, 03:03:40 PM »
I disapprove of 1500 Vine being commercial. Should 100% be lofts. I'm cool with everything else though. Office space helps with daytime population which helps most businesses and helps get essential services into the neighborhood quicker since offices pack more people in per square foot than residential.

Offline joshknut

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #3467 on: April 21, 2017, 07:21:06 AM »
I think 1500 Vine would make a great hotel

Offline Cincy513

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #3468 on: April 21, 2017, 08:03:49 AM »
Good to see. The one on Walnut will especially help in bridging the gap between Vine and Main. When are they going to do something with 1410 Vine? I really hope that becomes the beer hall that it use to be.

Offline IAGuy39

« Reply #3469 on: April 21, 2017, 08:08:13 AM »
In my mind I think it's OK these buildings on the NE and SE corner of 15th and Vine will be Office.  Really Vine Street is going to be a corridor for Tech companies with commercial/restaurant/bars below.  There is so much room on the side streets with empty lots and abandoned buildings to add many more residents, and possibly this will induce more people working at these companies to invest some money into the residences on the side streets.

There is so much room for development on the 1400 block of Walnut and also on East. 15th there.  I think that is another huge project where they need to build some structured parking behind the Kroger.  Most likely they will tie in a huge Mercer type development there once Kroger builds a new store on CP and Walnut...

Online taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3470 on: April 25, 2017, 01:33:28 PM »
New aerial shot of the Mercer IV (Empower MediaMarketing) office building going up on 14th:

Offline chinkley

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #3471 on: April 25, 2017, 02:06:57 PM »
I still can't believe that we got a substantial building built without a single additional parking space.

Offline seicer

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3472 on: April 25, 2017, 02:13:07 PM »
How did the Over-the-Rhine Community Foundation feel about that? It looks TOTALLY out of scale! And that green facade? Totally chic.

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3473 on: April 25, 2017, 02:39:32 PM »
I still can't believe that we got a substantial building built without a single additional parking space.

Residents that use the Mercer garage and commute outward free up spaces for those who commute into the area. 

Offline jmicha

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3474 on: April 25, 2017, 02:46:18 PM »
How did the Over-the-Rhine Community Foundation feel about that? It looks TOTALLY out of scale! And that green facade? Totally chic.

Not sure of the level of seriousness here, but I'll answer.

Green facade isn't facade. It's building wrap. It'll be covered.

The front facade is actually broken up quite nicely. The top level is set back so you can't see it from the street (not that I personally believe that's necessary but that's neither here nor there), the historic facade that was integrated provides a relief from the larger mass of the modern building, and the modern building has a facade that's broken up into portions that simulate a finer grain urbanism. As far as large infill buildings go it does a pretty decent job of not being overbearing or over-scaled despite it being a large structure on a tiny street.

Offline chinkley

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #3475 on: April 25, 2017, 03:32:58 PM »

Residents that use the Mercer garage and commute outward free up spaces for those who commute into the area.

I know that. But I also know that that's not how Cincinnati usually thinks about allocating parking resources.

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3476 on: April 25, 2017, 03:46:34 PM »

I know that. But I also know that that's not how Cincinnati usually thinks about allocating parking resources.

Also might have influenced the decision to build the squat and slow-selling homes on Mercer St.  40+ apartments would have gobbled up some of that Mercer garage capacity. 

Online taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3477 on: April 25, 2017, 04:41:45 PM »

I don't know whether Mercer IV is designated as a "planned development" (PD) or if it fits into existing zoning. I believe that developers are only required to work with OTRCC if it's a PD. I'm sure 3CDC also knows all the tricks to get around the red tape. What OTRCC needs to understand is that if they keep rejecting other developers' proposals, they're going to simply stop trying and we're going to get nothing but 3CDC developments in this neighborhood.

Offline TroyEros

« Reply #3478 on: April 26, 2017, 04:41:17 PM »
Does anyone know if this is meant to be a permanent make-shift alley? From what I understand you can't even take this alley route nowadays because of how union hall shares some type of space is this alley.

Is this meant to be a permanent private alley space, or is this something that will be infilled later on?

Offline jmicha

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3479 on: April 26, 2017, 04:59:51 PM »
You can definitely still cut through even with the Cintrifuse space taking up some of the lot.

It's unlikely this will last forever as a public cut through. Eventually it'll likely be filled in since it's not a public right of way.