PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Cleveland: Wind Turbine Construction News  (Read 3314 times)

Offline urbanlife

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
Re: Cleveland: Wind Power Developments
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2006, 03:24:48 PM »
I found this buried in a NOACA report on air pollution from Dec. 2005.  Any ideas on when these will be going up or where exactly?

Alternative Energy Wind Power: The Work Group heard a presentation from Green Energy Technologies Inc., which is installing a demonstration project involving a wind turbine (Smart Energy Tower) at both Cleveland-Hopkins Airport and at Case Western Reserve University. It was apparent that, when the towers are in production and available to large businesses, they can
be used successfully as back-up electricity sources, reducing draw on the traditional grid. The towers are also planned to be used for cellular purposes, wireless Internet, and hydrogen production for some shuttle vehicles at both the airport and the university. The Work Group determined that wind power will not be in production soon enough to make an appreciable reduction in pollution for SIP purposes, but the electricity produced will be quantified for the SIP, regardless.

Offline CornerCurve

• Great American Tower 665'
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2006, 10:11:26 PM »
I know there is well over a year of additional data to be collected before intake crib study is complete, but my imagination is running. Hopefully, this new study reflects the results of this previous study (map below).

In my daydream scenario, someone with the economic and political cojones sees the data, recognizes the ever growing need for energy diversification and the financial potential, steps up to the plate and plants a couple dozen of these (look below) off shore. What better statement from the "burning river" city could you want about rebirth in an industrialized region?

These are GE 3.6 MW wind turbines. I was shopping ahead. Here's the brochure: http://www.gepower.com/prod_serv/products/wind_turbines/en/downloads/ge_36_brochure.pdf

Actually, while the wind power would be great and the environmental statement poignant, I really think that a turbine farm off shore would make a kick ass entrance to the city for anyone coming over on the Port Stanley Ferry. As long as we don't get Capt. Hazelwood slaloming through the turbines at full speed, I think we're safe.

Offline Map Boy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2006, 09:19:15 AM »
Great find on both the data and the product, CC!  Those are in Ireland?

Offline CornerCurve

« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2006, 10:22:17 AM »
Yeah, those are indeed in Ireland. Off Shore wind turbines I've heard of have mostly been around the Netherlands but GE has a serious turbine sales focus throughout Europe.

BTW does anyone have an estimated time of completion for or more recent pictures of the turbine in front of the Great Lakes Science Center? It's been a couple months since they poured the concrete pad. Maybe they made some progress in this mild weather. I haven't been to North Coast Harbor since before Christmas.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2006, 10:24:25 AM by CornerCurve »

Offline urbanlife

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2006, 11:36:43 AM »
^ was by there yesterday.  concrete pad is still covered. 

BUT, the wind components that were in the back on the grass have been removed.  I didn't see them anywhere on the property, so i don't know what to think about it - maybe they are assembling them?  maybe they were the wrong parts?  who knows. 

Offline CornerCurve

« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2006, 12:18:26 PM »
^Thanks for the update. Hopefully somebody didn't boost the components, although I kinda would like to see someone dragging a 100ft metal tower behind a semi or whatever down I-90, concrete flying all the way...

Offline UncleRando

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2006, 01:21:34 PM »
This is out of Cincy, but it is relevant none the less:

Reap the wild wind
As the cost of traditional utilities increases, some seek alternatives
BY MIKE BOYER | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

The cold winter wind that's fueling higher heating bills across the region these days could help keep those same electric and natural gas bills in check some day.

It's unlikely wind power soon will replace coal and natural gas in Southwest Ohio, Northern Kentucky and Southeast Indiana, where wind power technology ranges from nascent to nonexistent and coal is abundant.

But as Cincinnati-based utility Cinergy Corp. explores its options for wind power in Indiana, the promise ahead is of wider use of the technology and a wider base of energy sources on which this region can draw. And wind is one option as Cinergy looks to diversify its sources of energy for economic and political reasons.

http://cmsimg.enquirer.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=AB&Date=20060212&Category=BIZ01&ArtNo=602120340&Ref=AR&Profile=1002&MaxW=315&border=1
Wind turbines like these in Oregon are being considered as an alternative energy source by Cinergy.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 12:14:00 PM by KJP »

Offline noozer

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2006, 11:56:23 AM »
Environment
Wind Farms Draw Mixed Response in Appalachia

by Adam Hochberg, NPR

Morning Edition, March 27, 2006 · The Appalachian states lead the nation in underground coal production, but now there's an effort to harness another type of energy there. Huge windmills are sprouting up on mountaintops from western New York through Pennsylvania and West Virginia. The futuristic machines are promoted as a source of clean, renewable power. But they're often not welcomed by locals, who say they blight the rural landscape.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5300507

Also, here's a link to the details on wind energy projects around the nation... inlcuiding Ohio:
http://www.awea.org/projects/
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 12:19:56 PM by KJP »

Offline theguv

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2006, 01:47:47 PM »
apparently the birds are the reason that ODNR will block any proposal for wind turbines in lake erie.  this despite the effects of mercury ( burning coal) on birds.

Offline X

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Western Reserve Meadery
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2006, 02:03:19 PM »
I don't like birds.  I want to build a windmill engineered to kill more birds.

Offline MayDay

• Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Cleveland Skyscrapers
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2006, 02:06:04 PM »
If  wind turbines are guaranteed to specifically kill pigeons, I say they need one in each quadrant of Public Square  :clap:

Offline smackem81

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2006, 02:44:57 PM »
Never ceases to amaze me, they rather not kill birds, with clean energy; but rather kill lots of stuff with dirty energy.

Offline JDD941

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2006, 02:46:31 PM »
X...not sure if it's my sick sense of humor..but that comment had me pissing my pants!  Funny stuff!  Why would ODNR block this?   How many bird are killed by windmills each year?

Offline the pope

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2006, 03:05:07 PM »
Never ceases to amaze me, they rather not kill birds, with clean energy; but rather kill lots of stuff with dirty energy.

including me and you!

Online Oldmanladyluck

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2006, 03:18:11 PM »
apparently the birds are the reason that ODNR will block any proposal for wind turbines in lake erie.  this despite the effects of mercury ( burning coal) on birds.

Wait, ODNR wants to block proposals for wind turbins on the lake?  Time for us to start writing them if this is true...

Offline Matches

« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2006, 04:56:07 PM »
How many birds are killed by windmills each year?

Maybe this was a rhetorical question, but according to Wikipedia:

A survey at Altamont Pass, California conducted by a California Energy Commission in 2004 showed that turbines killed 4,700 birds annually (1,300 of which are birds of prey). Radar studies of proposed sites in the eastern U.S. have shown that migrating songbirds fly well within the reach of large modern turbines.

Offline theguv

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2006, 07:37:41 AM »
certainly every energy source has a trade-off.  for instance, hydropower was (and still is) considered clean green energy for a long period of time.  consider the recent and ongoing battle against hydropower on the cuyahoga.
http://www.cleveland.com/news/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/summit/1141292380138340.xml&coll=2

as for the birds, i believe there are two major migratory bird paths that cross lake erie.  one known stop over is dike 14, where they have counted something like 230 species! 
there certainly is a solution to this, but it requires research, which i imagine is being done in conjunction with the wind speed monitoring taking place on the water intake crib.

Offline Brewmaster

« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2006, 08:52:26 AM »
^ I'd think that most bird migrations happen in the shoulder months for electricity demand (fall and spring).  Couldn't they just pitch the blades so the mills don't turn for two months out of the year?  Don't these wind turbines only run 30% of the year anyway?

Offline punch

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2006, 06:21:21 PM »
Isn't there some sort of dog type whistle that would scare birds

Offline UncleRando

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2006, 06:38:04 PM »
Isn't there some sort of dog type whistle that would scare birds

I believe that dog whistles are used primarily on dogs :-D

Offline CornerCurve

« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2006, 06:12:15 AM »
Hopefully, all these studies will bring about actual construction and not-as seems to happen too often-just more studies.

Utility-Scale Wind Monitoring Commences on Eastern Rim of Cuyahoga Valley

Monday, February 27, 2006

Is it windy enough in Cuyahoga Falls to generate electricity? The City will soon find out.

http://www.techfutures.net/2006/02/utility-scale-wind-monitoring.html
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 02:07:25 PM by CornerCurve »

Offline FrqntFlyr

• Premium Member
« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2006, 12:42:14 PM »
Drove by Great Lake Science Center today.  There is a crane there putting in place what looks like the base of the pole for the wind turbine.

Offline musky

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • "Where there is no vision, the people perish..."
    • FB
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2006, 09:01:48 AM »
Drove by Great Lake Science Center today.  There is a crane there putting in place what looks like the base of the pole for the wind turbine.

Finally! It was supposed to be up in November.

Offline CornerCurve

« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2006, 10:03:49 AM »
Anyone got a picture yet? Too bad MayDay's on vacation-his office seems like it'd have the primo view. :-)

Offline urbanlife

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2006, 06:52:16 PM »
not a lot of excitement, but here is how it looked this afternoon:

Offline CornerCurve

« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2006, 05:54:24 AM »
Thanks!

Offline the pope

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2006, 01:23:04 PM »
and the uniformed motorist utters, "wtf?"

Offline Paul in Cleveland

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2006, 02:22:21 PM »
It's done!  (Mostly.)  I went to a small non-press conference they had for the hanging of the nacelle and blades.  Some random details that I learned:

* The blades will be locked until all the inside electrical work (inside the GLSC) and some trenching, etc. is completed.  I heard 2 weeks, but someone from the engineering side told me 4 weeks was a better bet.
* The tower is 103 ft., the blades reach as high as 147 ft.
* Diameter of the blades' arc is 84 ft
* The height of the turbine's blades is 13 ft shorter than the Browns Stadium
* The turbine was erected around 1989 in (I think) Denmark.  It was refurbished for this location.  Denmark has wind power credits not only for putting up turbines, but for taking down smaller, less efficient ones like this one.
* Apparently, when figuring out how tall they could go with a turbine, it turned out that the FAA didn't have the Browns Stadium or the Rock Hall on their maps.  Nice.
* They wanted the turbine further west on the grassy area, but it conflicted with the Burnham Plan, apparently, it was too much in the axis of the Malls.

Here are a couple of crappy photos from my camera phone:

Offline Paul in Cleveland

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2006, 02:24:18 PM »
Let's try this again ...

Offline X

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Western Reserve Meadery
« Reply #59 on: May 04, 2006, 04:09:39 PM »
I'm glad to see this going up, but I'm a little disappointed to learn that our "state of the art" (my words) wind turbine is actually a decommissioned Danish castoff.  We have a long way to go, I guess.