PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Cleveland: Wind Turbine Construction News  (Read 3308 times)

Offline musky

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • "Where there is no vision, the people perish..."
    • FB
Re: Cleveland: Wind Power Developments
« Reply #120 on: November 03, 2006, 11:41:06 AM »
Whoooaaa doggy.
Did I miss the "Pick on Musky Day" in the calendar?

Anyway, I was using the store locater on the Whole Foods website based on my zip code: 44111
http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/StoreList.html?zip=44111&state=Select...&searchBtn=Search

Troy   104.24 miles Northwest
2880 West Maple Rd
Troy, MI 48084
Phone: 248.649.9600
Fax: 248.649.1141
View Map   More Store Info.

West Bloomfield   109.91 miles Northwest
7350 Orchard Lake Rd
West Bloomfield, MI 48322
Phone: 248.538.4600
Fax: 248.538.4601

Rochester Hills   110.26 miles Northwest
1404 Walton Blvd
Rochester Hills, MI 48309
Phone: 248.652.2100
Fax: 248.652.3273

Ann Arbor   113.07 miles Northwest
3135 Washtenaw Ave
Ann Arbor, MI 48104
Phone: 734.975.4500
Fax: 734.975.4545

Columbus   116.34 miles Southwest
3670 W. Dublin-Granville Rd
Columbus, OH 43235
Phone: 614.760.5556

So I'll take the helicopter.

I forgot about the new one opening here.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #121 on: November 03, 2006, 04:26:18 PM »
Looks like you're going to Troy in the meantime. Say 'hi' to Helen for me.
"Give me control of a nation's money supply, and I care not who writes the laws." -- Mayer Amschel Rothschild, founder of the European banking dynasty.

Offline musky

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • FB
« Reply #122 on: November 13, 2006, 10:02:10 PM »
Cleveland.com:

METRO: Harnessing wind creates jobs
By John C. Kuehner
Plain Dealer Reporter

« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 12:23:38 PM by KJP »

Offline Map Boy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #123 on: November 14, 2006, 09:11:27 AM »
“We were way ahead,” he said. “For Cleveland not to have a prominent position in this industry would be incredible since it had such a significant role in development of the technology.”

Seriously! 

Offline 8ShadesofGray

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #124 on: November 14, 2006, 04:33:40 PM »
I'm always amazed that as we try to position ourselves as frontrunners in wind energy research and production, we don't mention our even older ties to wind innovation. Sure, it's cool that NASA Glenn was a pioneer in wind energy in the 1970s and 1980s, but how about some props to Charles Brush, the guy who created the first electricity-generated windmill ... in 1888 ... at Euclid and 37th. We should be selling the sh*t out of that tidbit; together with NASA's pioneering and the CSU development of the "urban turbine", Cleveland has a 120-year history of wind innovation.

Next step, capitalize on Brush's invention of electric public lighting on Public Square (ca. 1879) and install a world-class demonstration of solar energy lighting in the same space.

I hark on this point a lot, but I think that by tying Cleveland's incredible history of innovation to our current innovations in medicine, energy, technology and culture (and displaying these messages in high-profile public spaces around town), we can develop a very compelling brand image as the illustrious pioneer that we have been, are and will be.

Online freethink

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #125 on: November 14, 2006, 05:04:12 PM »
Here is a link to a very cool article dated December 1890 from the Scientific American about Charles Brush and the windmill.
http://www.windpower.org/en/pictures/brush.htm

Offline willyboy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #126 on: November 14, 2006, 05:28:41 PM »
8shades, you are so right here.  It frustrates me that there have been so many things invented, discovered and the amazing history etc., in Cleveland that most people would never know.  I try to inform every visitor I bring to town, but I cant believe that the city has not capitalized more on this.     

Offline Map Boy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #127 on: November 15, 2006, 07:36:30 AM »
I'm always amazed that as we try to position ourselves as frontrunners in wind energy research and production, we don't mention our even older ties to wind innovation...

Next step, capitalize on Brush's invention of electric public lighting on Public Square (ca. 1879) and install a world-class demonstration of solar energy lighting in the same space.

I hark on this point a lot, but I think that by tying Cleveland's incredible history of innovation to our current innovations in medicine, energy, technology and culture (and displaying these messages in high-profile public spaces around town), we can develop a very compelling brand image as the illustrious pioneer that we have been, are and will be.

Amen to that!  Have you brought this up with anyone about making it happen? 

Offline jamiec

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #128 on: November 15, 2006, 07:43:36 AM »
Yeah, they are working on creating a "brand image" right now. In fact, they are trying to tie Akron and Cleveland together with the eventual marketing campaign. Akron DOES have the Inventor's Hall of Fame, so there is a thread popping in my head already!

E-mail Rick Batyko at rbatyko@gcparternship.com if you'd like to share your ideas. I'm sure he'd love to hear them.

Offline the pope

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #129 on: December 01, 2006, 01:47:00 PM »
does any else find it funny that the turbine is off today?

I'm guessing it has to do with something along the lines of "too much wind"?

anyone know?

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #130 on: December 01, 2006, 01:48:39 PM »
does any else find it funny that the turbine is off today?

I'm guessing it has to do with something along the lines of "too much wind"?

^kind of like how Mama Santa's closes during The Feast.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 01:50:53 PM by wimwar »

Offline 8ShadesofGray

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #131 on: December 01, 2006, 02:08:54 PM »
^^ I think you're right, Pope. If I recall correctly, the turbine automatically stops rotating when winds hit a certain speed as a precaution to protect the machine from serious damage.

Offline MayDay

• Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Cleveland Skyscrapers
« Reply #132 on: December 01, 2006, 02:14:18 PM »
Being about one block from it, I'm glad the turbine's off. I'd hate to have to dodge that thing if it ever flew up East 9th!

Offline zaceman

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #133 on: December 01, 2006, 05:43:26 PM »
no it was going full speed today around noon when i drove by it...

Offline Map Boy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #134 on: December 02, 2006, 07:25:06 AM »
^^ I think you're right, Pope. If I recall correctly, the turbine automatically stops rotating when winds hit a certain speed as a precaution to protect the machine from serious damage.

I remember that being in one of the early articles about the turbine as well.  The thing was really whipping when I drove by around 9 am yesterday morning, though!

Offline musky

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • FB
« Reply #135 on: December 06, 2006, 08:35:37 PM »

Offline musky

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • FB
« Reply #136 on: December 07, 2006, 08:16:49 AM »
All this is a wind related project, it is also a CSU project.
There are renderings of the proposal here:

http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php?topic=2289.msg145832#msg145832

Offline the pope

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #137 on: December 19, 2006, 01:32:12 PM »
from across the pond:

Offshore wind farms get go-ahead
The green light has been given for two offshore wind farms in the Thames Estuary, one of which will be the world's biggest when it is completed.

The government said the schemes would produce enough renewable electricity to power about one million households.

The larger London Array project covers 90 sq miles (232 sq km) between Margate in Kent and Clacton, Essex.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/uk_news/england/kent/6188133.stm
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 11:13:52 PM by the pope »

Offline musky

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • FB
« Reply #138 on: January 12, 2007, 06:55:42 AM »

Wind power along Lake Erie just might fly
Friday, January 12, 2007
Tom Breckenridge
Plain Dealer Reporter

« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 12:24:12 PM by KJP »

Offline w28th

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #139 on: January 12, 2007, 09:22:49 AM »
I would put this midway on the fantasy-to-reality scale.

^^Why?

Offline Boreal

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #140 on: January 12, 2007, 11:14:31 AM »
I would put this midway on the fantasy-to-reality scale.

^^Why?
The four wind turbines planted near Bowling Green have been a definite success for the city (who sponsored the project).  Moving out into the lake is a dicier proposition.  One problem I see is that they don't have an identified sponsor yet (like the city of B-G).  Technologically, turbine towers in water are much more difficult to integrate.  However, the lack of wind resistance makes the lake the plum location.  Wind charts show that Lake Erie is definitely the place to put wind turbines.  Inland locations in Ohio are at the low end of usefulness for wind.  The charts do show a bit higher landborne wind potential near the "Ashtabula shoreline", though.  (Homepower Magazine, January 2007).

I am surprised that these backers say they have good wind data.  The three-level wind gauge on the water intake crib for Cleveland has only been in use for about two years. 

As per Musky's comment, I did look around a bit, but it did not occur to me that the posting would be in Transportation & Projects.  That word transportation threw me off.   I have only been posting here for a week or so.  sorry :type:

Offline Brewmaster

« Reply #141 on: January 12, 2007, 11:46:16 AM »
This project probably only becomes a reality if congress makes some changes.  As things stand, tax credits for wind are small and temporary.  Making them big and permanent would go a long way towards making projects like these economically feasible.  Siting is going to be the other HUGE challenge.  Environmentalists are going to be up in arms about disturbing some mussels, fish, migratory birds, and a slew of endangered species.  I think congress should do something that limits the environmental challenges facing environmentally friendly renewable generation.

Offline Boreal

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #142 on: January 12, 2007, 11:57:11 AM »
Yes, I think you have a good view of it.  The Bush Energy Bill had tax credits for 2006 and 2007 only.  The animals that keep coming up are birds and the Indiana Bat.  The bird kills are an important consideration, but they seem to be "manageable".  The discontent by enviros about bird kills seems to be waning.  The Indiana Bat is a species that lives in the Appalachian countryside.  They put the turbines there to take advantage of the local winds, and I don't think the effect on bats has been wrung out.  "I have a bad feeling about this".

...Siting is going to be the other HUGE challenge.  Environmentalists are going to be up in arms about disturbing some mussels, fish, migratory birds, and a slew of endangered species.  I think congress should do something that limits the environmental challenges facing environmentally friendly renewable generation.

Offline w28th

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #143 on: January 12, 2007, 12:01:22 PM »
The environmentalists are a walking contradiction.  Should we continue to pollute our entire planet with carbon dioxide, or have clean renewable energy sources that may or may not decapitate several hundred birds?  I'm all for a sustainable world, but they can't have it both ways.  Do they protest solar because it steals sunlight from the sun too?

Offline Confiteordeo

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #144 on: January 12, 2007, 12:03:49 PM »
It would be really great if somehow Cleveland Public Power could manage this project.  Maybe the city could use energy incentives to attract new businesses. 

Offline musky

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • FB
« Reply #145 on: January 12, 2007, 08:19:28 PM »
From Green City Blue Lake:

Lake Erie wind farm in reach
Submitted by Marc Lefkowitz on January 12, 2007 - 5:38pm.

Seated at a stretch limo-sized conference table inside Cleveland law firm Thompson Hine’s offices on the 39th floor of Key Tower, a high-wattage assemble of county officials, Fortune 500 leaders and tech geeks from NASA, GE, and academia poured their will into the logistics of raising a wind farm on the surface of Lake Erie. With this much star power and business acumen in the room, the vision of turbines spinning in the (strong) breeze became palpable—a matter of how soon and pinpointing where.

“In the last five years, we’ve seen tremendous growth in the desire for wind power,” observes task force member and wind power developer Aaron Godwin. Ohio is in a strong position to capitalize on the newfound interest, says Godwin, who cites the 2004 Renewable Energy Policy Project (REPP) (http://www.greenenergyohio.org/page.cfm?pageID=266) report showing 12,000 jobs could be created in Ohio from the wind industry.

Why? Because the state’s manufacturing supply chain can be retooled to build wind components like the blades and towers.

Wind turbines on fresh water is untested, so it's fueling a race be the first. That’s why Cleveland Foundation alternative energy czar Richard Stuebi proposed the task force form the Lake Erie Wind Energy Center. It will provide research and development for a Lake Erie wind farm—up to a dozen turbines standing a few miles offshore and hundreds of feet tall generating five to 20 megawatts of electric power.

The wind farm and research center would seek public funding, most likely from Cleveland-area foundations and Ohio’s tech development “Third Frontier” fund.

“The R&D facility for offshore wind, like the one in Germany (http://www.treehugger.com/files/2006/10/germany_approves_offshore.php) will defray the cost of the wind turbines and serve as an attraction for Northeast Ohio as a hub for research and development of offshore wind power,” Stuebi says. “It will be the first of its kind in the U.S.”

The German government announced last October it will contribute 50 million euros to build 12 wind turbines and R&D facility off the coast of the North Sea.

Undoubtedly, the prospect of being the first to build wind turbines on a body of fresh water like Lake Erie (where wind is ample) adds a coolness factor. Proving the economics of wind so that Northeast Ohio becomes the world capital in off-shore wind is also a strong attraction.

Locating the turbines depends on a combination of where winds are strongest (the edges of the county, Godwin says), how much they affect the views from the shore, impact bird migrations and even air travel patterns. Cleveland Foundation is funding a study to ‘visualize’ how the turbines will look, Stuebi says. Also, turbine manufacturers and projects like the Long Island Off-shore Wind Park (http://www.fplenergy.com/projects/contents/long_island_wind.shtml) have data on environmental and avian impacts, an official from Northcoast Wind & Power (http://www.northcoastwindandpower.com/index.htm) told the task force.

An off-shore Cleveland site might play off some unique local conditions, Task Force Chairman and Cuyahoga County Prosecutor Bill Mason says. Perhaps the Cargill Cleveland salt mines, which stretch for 14 miles under Lake Erie, could act as a storage chamber for compressed air—the excess energy produced by the turbines (similar to a wind farm proposal in Iowa that will use mines for that reason).

The task force will make the wind farm and R&D center an official recommendation at their February meeting. Final details like the site, legal and financial issues are still being worked out.

For more information on Wind power in Northeast Ohio. (http://www.gcbl.org/energy/renewables/wind-power)

Off-shore wind farm off the north Wales coast

Offline w28th

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #146 on: January 13, 2007, 05:03:21 PM »
Those things are bad ass, I'd welcome them to the view of the Lake from the shores.

Offline zaceman

« Reply #147 on: February 08, 2007, 10:50:18 AM »
Wind turbine study recommended


Cuyahoga County and northern Ohio could be a world leader in wind energy by erecting wind turbines on Lake Erie and establishing a research center for off-shore wind technology, a task force says.
The Cuyahoga County Regional Energy Task Force is recommending that Cuyahoga County commissioners, businesses and non-profits pay for a feasibility study of erecting 10 wind turbines, at least three miles out on Lake Erie.
The project could power up to 6,000 homes, the report said. The effort could spur a cluster of wind-related businesses and research, generating lots of jobs, the task force says.
Led by Cuyahoga County Prosecutor Bill Mason, the task force was to release a six-month study of the wind proposal at noon today, at the Great Lakes Science Center. A wind turbine there generates a small portion of the center’s electricity.
Cleveland Mayor Frank Jackson was expected to talk about city efforts to build wind turbines.
Lt. Gov. Lee Fisher was expected to address state support for alternative energy, including grants for on-shore wind turbines.

Offline Boreal

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #148 on: February 08, 2007, 12:17:57 PM »
Wind turbine study recommended
Got link?  Would love to share this.

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'