PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: NYC: New Major League Stadiums  (Read 2195 times)

Online Columbo

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
NYC: New Major League Stadiums
« on: May 13, 2008, 10:41:03 AM »
Next year looks to be banner year for major league baseball and baseball stadium architecture in New York City.  Both the Yankees and the Mets are set to open new ballparks for the 2009 season. 

NEW YANKEE STADIUM

Construction cost: $1.3 billion

Architect: HOK Sport

Capacity 52,325

Field dimensions
Left Field     - 318 ft
Left-Center  - 399 ft
Center Field  - 408 ft
Right-Center - 385 ft
Right Field    - 314 ft 

Rendering of the New Yankee Stadium

Rendering of New Yankee Stadium from the street

Rendering of the New Yankee Stadium interior

New Yankee Stadium under construction, March 22, 2008

Gate 4 of the new Yankee Stadium, March 9, 2008

NEW METS STADIUM (CITI FIELD)

Construction cost: $610 million

Architect: HOK Sport

Capacity: 45,000 

Field dimensions
Left Field     - 335 ft
Left Center  - 379 ft
Center Field - 408 ft
Right Center - 383 ft
Right Field    - 330 ft

Rendering of Citi Field, Jackie Robinson Rotunda

Rendering of Citi Field

Rendering of Citi Field

Rendering of Citi Field interior

Relation of Citi Field, right, to Shea Stadium, left

Arched brick facade partially installed, 11/9/07

Facade partially installed around Jackie Robinson Rotunda, 2/19/08

Information, photos and renderings from www.ballparks.com and wikipedia pages http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Yankee_Stadium and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citi_Field.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 05:00:19 PM by Columbo »
#SaveTheCrew -- https://savethecrew.com/

Offline ks5214

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: New Major League Ballparks in NYC for 2009
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 10:42:52 AM »
Great idea for a thread!  I've seen both of these in person last week, I personally think Citi Field will be a better ballpark.

Offline jpop

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 11:21:54 AM »
I do, too.

I think Yankees Stadium is such a waste of money, from a design point of view. The stadium literally looks exactly like the old one, only newer. Couldn't they just renovate the existing structure?

Offline MyTwoSense

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 11:23:07 AM »
I do, too.

I think Yankees Stadium is such a waste of money, from a design point of view. The stadium literally looks exactly like the old one, only newer. Couldn't they just renovate the existing structure?
Did you read why the stadium was built?  I guess not since you're asking here.

Offline jpop

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 11:25:30 AM »
I understand why they built a new one. I'm just saying, if they're going to build a new stadium, why not at least make it look different from the current structure? What's the point of a new stadium if it looks exactly the same?

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 11:29:11 AM »
They tried that with White Sox stadium (new Comiskey) and they failed miserably. 

The Yankees are all about history. They will make it a nice stadium. Architects have learned from past ballpark mistakes.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 11:31:37 AM by 3231 »

Offline jpop

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 11:30:34 AM »
I guess I'm just not one for nostalgia. :) Probably true, though. Fans would probably be up in arms.

Offline MyTwoSense

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 11:35:11 AM »
I understand why they built a new one. I'm just saying, if they're going to build a new stadium, why not at least make it look different from the current structure? What's the point of a new stadium if it looks exactly the same?

You're asking the wrong people.  George Steinbrenner, George Pataki and Bloomberg are the people to ask.

Offline jpop

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 11:44:43 AM »
Regardless, it'll be fun to check out a game in either one.

Offline MyTwoSense

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 11:49:23 AM »
Regardless, it'll be fun to check out a game in either one.

I hate Yankee stadium.  I'll probably get to go on a tour of the new one soon, but I still will only sit in the box as the yankee fans are the worst.  Maybe it's my indians jersey that pisses them off?  :?

Offline Cincinnatus

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008, 11:52:20 AM »
Citi looks the best imo.

Both are great looking ballparks though in my opinion.

Offline X

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Western Reserve Meadery
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2008, 11:56:58 AM »
Citi field looks great, in a neo-traditional sort of way.  Too bad it is entirely surrounded by surface lots.

Offline colavitos ghost

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2008, 12:02:51 PM »
I agree that both are nice-looking parks, and the romanesque arch motif is an elegant touch.

However, isn't it a bit much for two ballparks--employing the same, highly-memorable motif--to open up in the same city in the same year? 

Maybe one team or the other would've been better off choosing a design from a different firm?  :|

Offline ks5214

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2008, 12:55:22 PM »
Yankee Stadium has a ton of history, but don't let that fool you, it's a dump.

Offline StapHanger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2008, 01:30:37 PM »
^Amen- a total dump.  Sort of fits the troglodyte fans though.

Citi field looks great, in a neo-traditional sort of way.  Too bad it is entirely surrounded by surface lots.

And the one area adjacent to Citi field that isn't surface lot (to the east) is now the object of an appalling city-sponsored land grab.

Offline cardsnxtyr

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2008, 06:21:28 PM »
Im not sure how to post pictures in here, but Red Bull Park, home of Red Bull New York of MLS is scheduled to open in 2009 in Harrison, New Jersey.

www.redbullpark.com

Offline ks5214

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2008, 06:40:31 PM »

Uhhh because it's in the middle of a sports complex?

Offline ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2008, 06:42:55 PM »
I definately like the Mets park better.
"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Offline X

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Western Reserve Meadery
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2008, 10:28:15 PM »

Well, other cities are figuring out how to integrate stadiums, especially MLB, into their Downtowns and neighborhoods.  I would have expected NY to be a leader in this, not behind the times..

Offline C-Dawg Njaim

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2008, 10:39:34 PM »
While the Yankee stadium is just absurdly expensive, I love the design. Then again, it's New York, spend big or go home...HOK must be making a killing off these contracts.

Both these stadiums will be among the best in major league baseball. I'm very excited.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 01:16:48 PM by C-Dawg Njaim »

Offline gotribe

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2008, 06:50:53 AM »
That's a pretty short park for Yankee stadium in left and right at least.  Not as short as the Polo Grounds, but still short. 

Offline ks5214

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2008, 07:41:19 AM »
That's a pretty short park for Yankee stadium in left and right at least.  Not as short as the Polo Grounds, but still short. 

That's why I think Citi will be nicer, Yankee Stadium is bound by so many stupid traditions, like horrible field dimensions.

Offline gotribe

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2008, 08:47:28 AM »

That's why I think Citi will be nicer, Yankee Stadium is bound by so many stupid traditions, like horrible field dimensions.

Exactly.  With those dimensions, they shold have at least done a highwall out in Left, but that probably would have been to similar to a Boston type strategic design. 

Offline jonmoxon

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2008, 01:55:31 AM »
The contractor I work for, Sports Contruction Group (based in Cleveland), is doing the turf installation at the new Yankee Stadium and potentially the new Mets (Citifield) stadium. F*ck NY but bring on the business!

Offline UncleRando

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2008, 11:17:24 AM »
Im not sure how to post pictures in here, but Red Bull Park, home of Red Bull New York of MLS is scheduled to open in 2009 in Harrison, New Jersey.

www.redbullpark.com

That will be a great soccer venue...right up there with the best (in this nation).

Offline kingfish out of water

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2008, 11:24:46 AM »
Let me just say once and for all that corporate naming rights are an assault on all that is decent in this universe. More or less.

Online Columbo

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2008, 12:52:37 PM »
So there's no chance we'll be seeing a Grippo'sValueCityUrbanOhio.com anytime soon?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 05:20:56 PM by rider »

Offline StapHanger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2008, 03:28:01 PM »

Well, other cities are figuring out how to integrate stadiums, especially MLB, into their Downtowns and neighborhoods.  I would have expected NY to be a leader in this, not behind the times..

I think that's actually a pretty tricky issue.  Stadiums bring lots of traffic, noise and crowds of drunk yutzes who don't give a crap about the immediate vicinity-I'm happy Citi won't be clogging the streets and subways of Manhattan, and if I lived in an outer borough, I wouldn't want it built in my neighborhood either.  The current location works well because even though not central, it's still served well by highway, subway, commuter train, bus and even boat which is why Robert Moses decided a stadium would be built there (though he thought it would be for the Dodgers).

Offline kingfish out of water

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2008, 03:44:20 PM »
^Amen- a total dump.  Sort of fits the troglodyte fans though.

And the one area adjacent to Citi field that isn't surface lot (to the east) is now the object of an appalling city-sponsored land grab.

Sports stadiums and appalling land grabs go together like peanuts and Cracker Jack.

Online Columbo

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2008, 02:11:16 PM »
Great idea for a thread!  I've seen both of these in person last week, I personally think Citi Field will be a better ballpark.

Thanks.  Nice to see the enthusiastic responses.  Guess the Mets and Yanks bring that out of most people.  As far as the architecture of the two ballparks goes, here's my take...

I thought the same exact thing when I first heard of the New Yankee Stadium idea.  And for personal preference, I do like the neo-Ebbets Field look of the Mets ballpark.  However, I'll step up to defend the New Yankee Stadium concept from this standpoint. 

The Yanks were faced with a tough call.  Their fans wanted to keep the look and feeling of Old Yankee Stadium.  But the place needed some serious upgrading.  Taking a step-by-step renovation approach makes alot of sense at other vintage parks, like Wrigley Field or Fenway Park.  Tearing down Wrigley or Fenway to build new would mean virtually tearing down the surrounding neighborhood as well. 

However, there's no real neighborhood context around Yankee Stadium.  Plus the Yanks have tons of money to spend.  A New Yankee Stadium concept makes more sense here. 

Plus, there's some subtle upgrades from the old stadium - even though it looks identical.  I saw in a ESPN news story that the new stadium will be 65% larger than the old stadium to house all the additional features (luxury boxes, great hall, museum etc).

Also, I like the detailing on the new stone exterior.  It's a more monumental look for a new ballpark design.  The interior returns to the pre-1970's renovation look of the old Yankee Stadium and also features a monumental feel.  Not all the new ballparks need to follow the same pattern. 

I really like the new Mets ballpark but I like the New Yankee Stadium too.