Author Topic: Cleveland City Council  (Read 12039 times)

Offline StapHanger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: Cleveland City Council
« Reply #450 on: April 26, 2018, 03:07:11 PM »
^This is a totally fair point, and why it's good there's been vigorous enforcement in this case, even if there haven't been any credible allegation that's what actually happened.

Offline freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #451 on: April 26, 2018, 03:09:45 PM »

I wonder if resigning from council when he did was part of a deal he made with the Ethics Commission.

Offline gottaplan

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #452 on: April 26, 2018, 03:13:35 PM »
seems very petty to me.  Aren't most council decisions voted on nearly unanimously?  So was Cimperman the only vote for his wife's employer?  I guess he should have abtained from any vote that involved this firm?

It's a good to see the ethics rules enforced vigorously, and he did screw up, but I agree this is a big pile of nothing in terms of actual corruption. Whether he'd had abstained or not would have made zero difference. Even without Cimperman in office, LAND is pretty much the only outside party the city trusts to shepherd big projects of this nature through. Not at all the same thing as public officials steering contract to shadowy consultants or contractors with murky ownership.

it's not the same thing as steering contracts to shadowy consultants or contrators - LAND Studio & Park Works are non-profit, right? 

Salaries at legitimate businesses are the way this is often done.  It doesn't have to involve a company that sounds like Grifter & Sons Garbage Cartage.

well that didn't take long - you just compared a non-profit parks designer to a mob outfit.  Congrats

Offline surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #453 on: April 26, 2018, 03:47:29 PM »
Everyone remember when someone firebombed Cimperman's house? I wonder what the hell that was really about.

Offline gottaplan

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #454 on: April 26, 2018, 04:02:06 PM »
Everyone remember when someone firebombed Cimperman's house? I wonder what the hell that was really about.

Obviously it was another non-profit park designer making sure he got the message... ;-)

Offline freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #455 on: April 26, 2018, 04:04:50 PM »

Obviously it was another non-profit park designer making sure he got the message... ;-)

Those public art people are ruthless AF.  ;D

Offline 327

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #456 on: April 26, 2018, 04:08:40 PM »
seems very petty to me.  Aren't most council decisions voted on nearly unanimously?  So was Cimperman the only vote for his wife's employer?  I guess he should have abtained from any vote that involved this firm?

It's a good to see the ethics rules enforced vigorously, and he did screw up, but I agree this is a big pile of nothing in terms of actual corruption. Whether he'd had abstained or not would have made zero difference. Even without Cimperman in office, LAND is pretty much the only outside party the city trusts to shepherd big projects of this nature through. Not at all the same thing as public officials steering contract to shadowy consultants or contractors with murky ownership.

it's not the same thing as steering contracts to shadowy consultants or contrators - LAND Studio & Park Works are non-profit, right? 

Salaries at legitimate businesses are the way this is often done.  It doesn't have to involve a company that sounds like Grifter & Sons Garbage Cartage.

well that didn't take long - you just compared a non-profit parks designer to a mob outfit.  Congrats

How is that relevant?  Non-profit parks designers shouldn't have government officials in their pockets. 

Offline bumsquare

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #457 on: April 27, 2018, 01:38:05 PM »
I used to work with a number of council people on the west side and this kind of low-level corruption/incompetence is rife. Itís almost all petty at the council level, so any individual action will seem relatively inconsequential. But itís nice to see one of these little princes get called out for once. Itís especially sweet considering how Cimperman never missed a chance to be on camera.

Offline dave2017

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #458 on: April 27, 2018, 02:45:32 PM »
Parkwork's should have known Nora Romanoff had an inside track to winning contracts for their organization.  Also Ann Zoller worked for the City of Cleveland. Should  This is the problem I have with LAND Studio having too many connections with council to be awarded as many projects as they have been given.   While LAND Studio has done some great work , I question how every project has been awarded to just one organization.   I would love to see some other non profits point of view on Public Art be represented.   I also want LAND Studio to be held responsible for completing/repairing the "temporary" design flaws that were brought forth for safety reasons.

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #459 on: April 27, 2018, 04:58:29 PM »

The firebombing was revenge from the leader of a violent drug ring that was thrown in jail. Joe was involved helping put the guy behind bars after they had done some pretty evil **** to some residents in Joe's ward near Clark ave.

Offline surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #460 on: April 27, 2018, 05:47:43 PM »

The firebombing was revenge from the leader of a violent drug ring that was thrown in jail. Joe was involved helping put the guy behind bars after they had done some pretty evil **** to some residents in Joe's ward near Clark ave.

Wow. I'm surprised Scene Mag wasn't all over this.

Offline E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #461 on: April 27, 2018, 08:50:25 PM »
Is the Tremonster still stirring the feces since Cimperman left office?   It always seemed like the former's main role was to set up the latter to play hero.

Offline E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #462 on: April 27, 2018, 08:51:33 PM »

It employs people so the more business it gets the better for the employees.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #463 on: July 12, 2018, 11:33:58 PM »
Son of Cleveland Councilman Ken Johnson lives in house owned by neighborhood group supported by his father
https://www.cleveland.com/naymik/index.ssf/2018/07/son_of_cleveland_councilman_ke.html?utm_campaign=cleve_sf&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social
"Treat this (November 2018) election as if it's the last election in which you can fully exercise your democratic rights. Because it just might be." -- Margy Waller.

Offline 327

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #464 on: July 13, 2018, 08:19:38 AM »
Buckeye-Shaker CDC has been cut off from federal funds because Ken Johnson was funneling that money to a crony landscaping business that employs Johnson's son and his assistant.  This funding was supposed to "act as a catalyst for commercial and housing development" in this distressed area.  New rules will limit the amount of federal funds that can be used for mowing vacant lots.

Don't tell me there's no money for redeveloping these neighborhoods.  Don't tell me the market is forcing us to use shipping containers for buildings.  We have money and it keeps getting stolen, over and over again, because people like this remain in charge of our community.  How is this person still on city council? 

https://www.cleveland.com/naymik/index.ssf/2018/07/cleveland_councilman_ken_johns_1.html

Offline 327

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #465 on: September 14, 2018, 11:32:16 AM »
Further exploits of Cleveland's most filthy public official.  Note that the mayor's office isn't sure what sort of nepotism restrictions we might have or not have.

"Cleveland Councilman Ken Johnson disavows being father of two rec center employees he earlier claimed were his kids"

https://www.cleveland.com/naymik/index.ssf/2018/09/cleveland_councilman_ken_johns_3.html

Offline gottaplan

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #466 on: September 14, 2018, 02:52:55 PM »
Further exploits of Cleveland's most filthy public official.  Note that the mayor's office isn't sure what sort of nepotism restrictions we might have or not have.

"Cleveland Councilman Ken Johnson disavows being father of two rec center employees he earlier claimed were his kids"

https://www.cleveland.com/naymik/index.ssf/2018/09/cleveland_councilman_ken_johns_3.html

LOL.  Awesome.  You can't make that stuff up. 

Offline tklg

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #467 on: September 14, 2018, 03:33:31 PM »
without knowing much of anything about this story, it sure sounds like Ken Johnson is the troll of trolls lol