Author Topic: Racism  (Read 45109 times)

Offline Sir2geez

• Huntington Tower 330'
Re: Racism
« Reply #1740 on: September 15, 2018, 02:59:19 PM »
^ You're missing the point. The ok sign isn't racist because a couple of clowns want it to be. The real victims are folks like this guy, who probably has no idea the symbol is considered racist by misinformed liberals. People in harms ware are far less safe right now because an expert emergency responder was removed from his post because a group of people didn't like how his hands were positioned.

We're in the racism thread. A few posts upthread there's the story about Botham Jean who was shot in his apartment by a cop...silence from the usual suspects. A white man being silly or racist during an emergency and he's a "victim." Got it.

Offline freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1741 on: September 15, 2018, 03:07:34 PM »
^ You're missing the point. The ok sign isn't racist because a couple of clowns want it to be. The real victims are folks like this guy, who probably has no idea the symbol is considered racist by misinformed liberals. People in harms ware are far less safe right now because an expert emergency responder was removed from his post because a group of people didn't like how his hands were positioned.

We're in the racism thread. A few posts upthread there's the story about Botham Jean who was shot in his apartment by a cop...silence from the usual suspects. A white man being silly or racist during an emergency and he's a "victim." Got it.

The only victims in America are white male conservatives.  Didn't you know that?

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #1742 on: September 15, 2018, 10:52:41 PM »
Itís funny.
Iím never worried about black people, or Muslim people, or Mexican people when I see them in public.

Itís the white guy with his ďUSAĒ hat and Confederate flag sticker on his car who scares me.

https://twitter.com/PoliticalEmilia/status/1040645134818275328?s=19
"Treat this (November 2018) election as if it's the last election in which you can fully exercise your democratic rights. Because it just might be." -- Margy Waller.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1743 on: September 16, 2018, 01:12:27 PM »
Here are some more racist SOB on the police force. The four officers were suspended...Jasper Al.
https://twitter.com/JackieScott14/status/1041085260782493701
"Treat this (November 2018) election as if it's the last election in which you can fully exercise your democratic rights. Because it just might be." -- Margy Waller.

Offline X

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Western Reserve Meadery
« Reply #1744 on: September 16, 2018, 03:11:21 PM »
Is this something white supremacists have picked up recently?  That hand symbol for years has been a "made you look" game in high schools, restaurants, and anywhere juvenile senses of humor reign.  But I've never heard of it having any sort of political meaning until this past week.

Offline Ram23

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1745 on: September 16, 2018, 04:37:50 PM »
^ No. Anyone who thinks it's some sort of racist gesture is being duped.

The "OK" Symbol is a hand gesture[7] typically used to signal that "all is well." The symbol has been frequently associated with supporters of the 45th President of the United States Donald Trump, with some speculating it is used by members of the alt-right to mimic a Smug Frog depiction of Pepe the Frog. Additionally, the symbol has been accused of being a symbol for "white power" following a 4chan hoax operation to trick news media outlets into reporting that it is a symbol of white supremacy.

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/ok-symbol-%F0%9F%91%8C

Offline freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1746 on: September 16, 2018, 04:40:49 PM »
^ The sign is now being used to denote white power.  It may have started as a troll but real white supremacists are using it now. 

Offline X

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Western Reserve Meadery
« Reply #1747 on: September 16, 2018, 06:04:56 PM »
On what date did it become racist?  For everyone all at once?  Is the racism backdated to older social media posts, and how will we be able to tell since we don't usually get a timestamp?

Offline ck

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #1748 on: September 16, 2018, 06:35:57 PM »
Ya that sucks, I use(d) that all the time.  A server asks how was the meal, I usually throw that up and say 'perfect' - i hope i won't offend.

Offline freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1749 on: September 16, 2018, 06:48:11 PM »
On what date did it become racist?  For everyone all at once?  Is the racism backdated to older social media posts, and how will we be able to tell since we don't usually get a timestamp?
Language (hand signals are part of language) evolves.  This thing was started as a troll but Alt-right racists (I'm being redundant) have adopted it.  Context still matters but when Lauren Southern does it, it is racist. 

Offline mu2010

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #1750 on: September 16, 2018, 06:58:08 PM »
I use that all the time including the emoji to confirm plans. Not really worried about being misunderstood though.

Offline KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1751 on: Yesterday at 05:50:23 PM »
Florida man gets 20-year sentence for stealing $600 worth of cigarettes https://t.co/1jFsQfXAl5

Offline Ram23

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1752 on: Yesterday at 05:58:19 PM »
Florida man gets 20-year sentence for stealing $600 worth of cigarettes https://t.co/1jFsQfXAl5

Prior to his charges for the Dec. 28 incident, Spellman reportedly had 14 felony and 31 misdemeanor convictions.

That's nuts. I'm surprised they waited this long to hand down some actual punishment. I have some sympathy for people who hit a rough patch or make a few mistakes, but I don't have much for someone who clearly has no regard whatsoever for right and wrong.

Offline Sir2geez

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #1753 on: Yesterday at 06:17:04 PM »

Prior to his charges for the Dec. 28 incident, Spellman reportedly had 14 felony and 31 misdemeanor convictions.

That's nuts. I'm surprised they waited this long to hand down some actual punishment. I have some sympathy for people who hit a rough patch or make a few mistakes, but I don't have much for someone who clearly has no regard whatsoever for right and wrong.

20 years? I've had a lot of clients like this. They frustrate me, but 20 years is a little much.

Offline Sir2geez

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #1754 on: Yesterday at 06:48:01 PM »
This guy deserved 20 years, but he got a "one time" pass. The American justice system...everyone is treated the same.

Alaska man given 'pass' after pleading guilty in sexual assault case

Anchorage police said Justin Schneider, a 34-year-old former air traffic controller for the Federal Aviation Administration, choked the woman until she lost consciousness and then masturbated on her in August 2017, KTVA reported.

Anchorage prosecutor Andrew Grannik told the judge he agreed to the plea deal because an expert said Schneiderís chances of being arrested again were slim, according to the station.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.foxnews.com/us/2018/09/22/alaska-man-given-pass-after-pleading-guilty-in-sexual-assault-case.amp.html