Author Topic: Racism  (Read 34873 times)

Offline jonoh81

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
Re: Racism
« Reply #1620 on: July 08, 2018, 11:50:53 AM »
There are definitely a shitload of double standards/hypocricies when it comes to this issue and who is spewing that kind of racist/prejudicial/bigoted/homophobic venom.

Did anyone actually claim that only white people can be racist?  Weren't we proudly told by Trump supporters how he captured more of the minority vote than Romney?  Did we really believe there wouldn't be incidents like this too in the tolerance-for-racists environment America is embracing?
That still doesn't change anything about the historical and current reality of where a huge part of racism has always come from. 

Offline TBideon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1621 on: July 08, 2018, 03:13:54 PM »
As for this Racism board, it does seem that the stories are vastly, vastly, VASTLY disproportionate to incidents of white racism/bigotry/prejudice/homophobia when there is so much of it from other races and groups as well. If posters post stories about whites screaming Heil Hitler on this board, then there shouldn't be any umbrage with stories about Hispanics or blacks screaming and behaving with similar venom towards their victims.

Ram's post is on point with this thread.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 03:16:13 PM by TBideon »

Online freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1622 on: July 08, 2018, 03:25:06 PM »
There are VASTLY more white people in america, so there will be vastly more racist incidents from them.  This isn't come sort of conspiracy.

Offline jonoh81

« Reply #1623 on: July 08, 2018, 06:40:09 PM »
As for this Racism board, it does seem that the stories are vastly, vastly, VASTLY disproportionate to incidents of white racism/bigotry/prejudice/homophobia when there is so much of it from other races and groups as well. If posters post stories about whites screaming Heil Hitler on this board, then there shouldn't be any umbrage with stories about Hispanics or blacks screaming and behaving with similar venom towards their victims.

Ram's post is on point with this thread.

Again, you seem to be arguing a complete straw man.  Point out where someone said no one is allowed to post stories about minorities doing something racist. 

White people have historically been, by FAR, the main perpetrators of large-scale racism in America. 

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #1624 on: July 10, 2018, 08:48:48 PM »
This is outrageous on several levels, particularly the lack of action by the officer. Meanwhile, the low information racists are feeling very emboldened these days as a direct result of the current occupant of the White House. 🇵🇷 https://t.co/IfYby4gMlC
"Treat this (November 2018) election as if it's the last election in which you can fully exercise your democratic rights. Because it just might be." -- Margy Waller.

Offline surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1625 on: July 10, 2018, 08:51:53 PM »
This is outrageous on several levels, particularly the lack of action by the officer. Meanwhile, the low information racists are feeling very emboldened these days as a direct result of the current occupant of the White House. 🇵🇷 https://t.co/IfYby4gMlC

Shameful.

Best comment I've read so far:
"Disgusting behavior. When is the president of Puerto Rico going to do something about this?"

Offline surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1626 on: July 11, 2018, 11:53:06 AM »
House of Representatives votes to give Larry Doby a Congressional Gold Medal
Updated Jul 10, 3:00 PM; Posted Jul 10, 3:00 PM
By Sabrina Eaton

WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. House of Representatives on Tuesday signed off on legislation that would award a posthumous Congressional Gold Medal to Cleveland Indians great Larry Doby, the second African American to join a Major League Baseball team.

The measure sponsored by Wadsworth GOP Rep. Jim Renacci and New Jersey Democrat Bill Pascrell passed on a non-controversial voice vote.

"Larry Doby joined the Major Leagues shortly after the great Jackie Robinson and faced the same struggles and barriers without the same recognition," said a press statement from Renacci. "Every time I walk through Progressive Field, I am reminded of his contribution to Cleveland and America's favorite pastime."

https://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2018/07/house_of_representatives_votes_2.html

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1627 on: July 12, 2018, 05:20:22 PM »
JUST IN: Man accused of harassing woman wearing Puerto Rican flag shirt charged with felony hate crime
http://hill.cm/BLzWx6P
"Treat this (November 2018) election as if it's the last election in which you can fully exercise your democratic rights. Because it just might be." -- Margy Waller.

Online freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1628 on: July 12, 2018, 08:54:05 PM »
It's so weird that the pizza guy the complained that NFL kneelers ruined his pizza business was a racist. That was totally unexpected.

Offline GCrites80s

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • 1492 or 4,192?
« Reply #1629 on: July 12, 2018, 09:07:18 PM »
Apparently his house has a moat around it.

Offline Foraker

• Great American Tower 665'
« Reply #1630 on: July 13, 2018, 11:32:53 AM »
Interesting article with some nice sports history.

https://www.juancole.com/2018/07/trumps-players-sleeping.html

Offline mu2010

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #1631 on: July 13, 2018, 11:39:36 AM »
It's so weird that the pizza guy the complained that NFL kneelers ruined his pizza business was a racist. That was totally unexpected.

He's been whining about Obamacare for almost a decade too. He had to raise the price of pop by $0.50, all his employees got health care, and he remained profitable, but still whining because he hates giving employees health care.

Offline jonoh81

« Reply #1632 on: July 13, 2018, 12:02:03 PM »

He's been whining about Obamacare for almost a decade too. He had to raise the price of pop by $0.50, all his employees got health care, and he remained profitable, but still whining because he hates giving employees health care.

Hes already a conservative martyr.  Victimized not by his actions or words, but by the out-of-control PC liberals who hate freedom.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1633 on: July 14, 2018, 08:06:40 PM »
Nice shirt. Another deplorable....

White CVS manager who called cops on black woman with coupon is Republican who was busted for forging signatures: report
https://www.rawstory.com/2018/07/white-cvs-manager-called-cops-black-woman-coupon-republican-busted-forging-signatures-report/

Offline Ram23

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1634 on: July 15, 2018, 02:09:51 PM »
^ I never understand these types of situations. If you try to use a coupon and a store tells you no, then just don't use it. If you're angry, don't buy the item in question and leave. Go to the Walgreen's across the street and if no one will accept the coupon, contact the manufacturer and complain. They'll probably apologize and send you some free stuff. Why, instead of this rational, polite approach, would you escalate the situation to a point in which the store manager has to call the cops on you? The only reason I can think of is that this woman wanted to create the situation in question in order to record it and post it on social media. Hopefully this trend of dumb stories like this ending up in the news ends soon.

Offline eastvillagedon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1635 on: July 15, 2018, 02:34:37 PM »
I actually find the most off-putting aspect of patronizing CVS to be the disingenuously perky "greeters" who shout at you as soon as you enter. I always try to see if they're distracted by someone else before going in to make sure the coast in clear. Even when I studiously try to avoid eye contact with them it doesn't always work :(

Online Sir2geez

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #1636 on: July 15, 2018, 02:42:36 PM »
^ I never understand these types of situations. If you try to use a coupon and a store tells you no, then just don't use it. If you're angry, don't buy the item in question and leave. Go to the Walgreen's across the street and if no one will accept the coupon, contact the manufacturer and complain. They'll probably apologize and send you some free stuff. Why, instead of this rational, polite approach, would you escalate the situation to a point in which the store manager has to call the cops on you? The only reason I can think of is that this woman wanted to create the situation in question in order to record it and post it on social media. Hopefully this trend of dumb stories like this ending up in the news ends soon.

It's the same thing with you when it comes to this thread. This is the fifth or sixth time over the last few weeks white people have called the police on black people for trivial things. Why are so many white people calling the police on black people? A girl selling bottles of water, a teenager mistakenly cutting someone's grass, black men sitting at Starbucks, teenagers delivering newspaper in UA...I could on.

He escalated the situation by calling the cops over a coupon. He shouldn't be manager if he can't handle telling someone they can't use a coupon. I worked retail in college and I dealt with much worse and I never called the police.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 03:04:50 PM by Sir2geez »

Online freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1637 on: July 15, 2018, 02:50:45 PM »

It's the same thing with you when it comes to this thread. This is the fifth or sixth time over the last few weeks of white people calling the police on black people for trivial things. Why are so many white people calling the police on black people? A girl selling bottles of water, a teenager mistakenly cutting someone's grass, black men sitting at Starbucks, teenagers delivering newspaper in UA...I could on.

He escalated the situation by calling cops over a coupon. He shouldn't be manager if he can't handle telling someone they can't use a coupon. I worked retail in college and I dealt with much worse and I never called the police.

It's minorities and liberals that should always handle something differently.  Racists and conservatives should never be challenged.

Online Sir2geez

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #1638 on: July 15, 2018, 03:12:49 PM »

It's the same thing with you when it comes to this thread. This is the fifth or sixth time over the last few weeks of white people calling the police on black people for trivial things. Why are so many white people calling the police on black people? A girl selling bottles of water, a teenager mistakenly cutting someone's grass, black men sitting at Starbucks, teenagers delivering newspaper in UA...I could on.

He escalated the situation by calling cops over a coupon. He shouldn't be manager if he can't handle telling someone they can't use a coupon. I worked retail in college and I dealt with much worse and I never called the police.

It's minorities and liberals that should always handle something differently.  Racists and conservatives should never be challenged.

I guess minorities need to know "their place"

Offline ck

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #1639 on: July 15, 2018, 05:10:26 PM »

It's the same thing with you when it comes to this thread. This is the fifth or sixth time over the last few weeks white people have called the police on black people for trivial things.

I obviously think the cited incidents are ridiculous, but it's important to point out that we don't report on white people calling the police on white people inappropriately.  So there's a huge availability bias going on that distorts our perceptions of the problem. 

There is obviously an increasing problem with racial tensions in the country, being exacerbated by our leadership.  But it's important to have context, and I don't think we get it with these random anectdotes.

*I'm on my 3rd white russian, sitting at a bar, so please excuse me if I have some logical fallacies :)

Online freefourur

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1640 on: July 15, 2018, 05:20:28 PM »
^ this is my general thought on any videos or articles of incidents.  They tell us nothing at all but are always used to prove a point. I'm likely guilty of it too.

Offline Ram23

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1641 on: July 15, 2018, 07:27:01 PM »
This is just one city / state, but the same likely holds true everywhere:

In California, for example, as many as 45 percent of the more than 8 million cell phone calls to 911 each year are for non-emergencies, officials said; in Sacramento, it could be as high as 80 percent. Those calls block the lines for callers who really need urgent help.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/26040857/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/t/systems-choking-non-emergency-calls/#.W0vWsrgnbVg

Millions of people every year call 911 when they shouldn't have. Part of this stems from the "better safe than sorry" and "see something, say something" logic that has been taught for decades. This may actually be a problematic issue, but the fact that occasionally a white person makes a seemingly unnecessary 911 call, and the person they called about happens to be black is completely and utterly irrelevant. It's also entirely blown out of proportion. I wouldn't be surprised if the handful of videos that have been in the news over the past year are the only instances of this type of event that have occurred in that timeframe.

Online Sir2geez

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #1642 on: July 15, 2018, 08:41:53 PM »

In California, for example, as many as 45 percent of the more than 8 million cell phone calls to 911 each year are for non-emergencies, officials said; in Sacramento, it could be as high as 80 percent. Those calls block the lines for callers who really need urgent help.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/26040857/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/t/systems-choking-non-emergency-calls/#.W0vWsrgnbVg

Millions of people every year call 911 when they shouldn't have. Part of this stems from the "better safe than sorry" and "see something, say something" logic that has been taught for decades. This may actually be a problematic issue, but the fact that occasionally a white person makes a seemingly unnecessary 911 call, and the person they called about happens to be black is completely and utterly irrelevant. It's also entirely blown out of proportion. I wouldn't be surprised if the handful of videos that have been in the news over the past year are the only instances of this type of event that have occurred in that timeframe.

I don't disagree some of these instances are over blown and aren't necessarily about race, but white people have used the police like this for years. If a minority is "out of place" the default response is to call the police. This isn't new...the only thing that's changed is everybody is carrying a phone and access to social media.

Last week someone called the police on a black firefighter in uniform, carrying a clipboard and radio doing routine neighborhood inspections. "He was suspicious" according the caller. This happened to him twice in different neighborhoods. A black lawmaker in Portland was canvassing a neighborhood and someone called the police because "she was suspicious." She was out of place knocking on doors at 5 pm.

I understand there is some confirmation bias at play; however, to say race is irrelevant in some of these instances is naive.

Offline Cleburger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1643 on: July 15, 2018, 10:59:07 PM »

I don't disagree some of these instances are over blown and aren't necessarily about race, but white people have used the police like this for years. If a minority is "out of place" the default response is to call the police. This isn't new...the only thing that's changed is everybody is carrying a phone and access to social media.

Last week someone called the police on a black firefighter in uniform, carrying a clipboard and radio doing routine neighborhood inspections. "He was suspicious" according the caller. This happened to him twice in different neighborhoods. A black lawmaker in Portland was canvassing a neighborhood and someone called the police because "she was suspicious." She was out of place knocking on doors at 5 pm.

I understand there is some confirmation bias at play; however, to say race is irrelevant in some of these instances is naive.

I see it on my neighborhood facebook page all the time.  "Young black male wearing a safety vest going door to door"   "Two black males acting suspicious on bicycles." 

The only thing saving these kids is a call to Cleveland Police would probably take 3 hours for a response, if they ever show up....

Offline jonoh81

« Reply #1644 on: July 16, 2018, 12:32:25 AM »
^ this is my general thought on any videos or articles of incidents.  They tell us nothing at all but are always used to prove a point. I'm likely guilty of it too.

Sure, they don't say much individually, and they have been happening for a very long time, but taken in the reality that hate crimes and racism incidents have been skyrocketing the last 18 months, they do mean something.