PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Cincinnati: Demolition Watch  (Read 4425 times)

Offline ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
Re: Cincinnati: Demolition Watch
« Reply #960 on: March 31, 2017, 10:42:26 AM »
Former DunnhumbyUSA HQ in downtown Cincinnati to be demolished

The former home of DunnhumbyUSA in downtown Cincinnati is being prepared for demolition.

Groundwork for the future demolition of the Dunnhumby building at 444 W. Third St. started this week. Crews are performing general survey work and installing temporary chain link fence along the perimeter of the project.

More below:
http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/03/31/former-dunnhumbyusa-hq-in-downtown-cincinnati-to.html
"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Online jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #961 on: March 31, 2017, 11:00:12 AM »
Kind of amazing how much has been spent on the Brent Spence Bridge project and it might never happen. 

Online jwulsin

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #962 on: April 17, 2017, 10:57:51 AM »

Offline seicer

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #963 on: April 17, 2017, 01:01:08 PM »
Damn. That was one of my favorite stretches of road and now it's become every bit as soulless.

Online taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #964 on: April 17, 2017, 01:43:25 PM »
I have very little hope for historic preservation in Uptown. It isn't even on the radar of the Uptown Consortium, and they are perfectly fine with the hospitals, the Zoo, UC, and Uptown Properties demolishing historic buildings and building whatever they want. To make matters worse, the new stuff that's getting built in Uptown is dense but not actually that walkable.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 01:43:45 PM by taestell »

Offline CincyMan

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 10:58:01 AM by CincyMan »

Online jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #966 on: April 18, 2017, 09:31:28 AM »
They've started demolition on two of these three on Vine:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1542621,-84.5065343,3a,75y,91h,92.64t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sbk2pz3HG7VGZiQicsDZ3vg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Those have been vacant since 2009, if not earlier.  They looked like they were going to do work on them a year or two ago. 

Online ryanlammi

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #967 on: April 18, 2017, 09:35:43 AM »
And I think it's this little one on Mulberry:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1186932,-84.5162538,3a,75y,232.95h,80.38t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sFWtLRvMPLUXSLBmfZVeVrg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

What about that one on Mulberry? They just repainted it and have been renovating it slowly.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 09:36:58 AM by ryanlammi »

Online jwulsin

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #968 on: April 18, 2017, 10:15:56 AM »
41 E Clifton is in the process of being demolished.

http://wedge3.hcauditor.org/view/re/0940005014400/2016/summary

Online jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #969 on: April 18, 2017, 10:37:00 AM »
41 E Clifton is in the process of being demolished.

http://wedge3.hcauditor.org/view/re/0940005014400/2016/summary

Meanwhile, there have been a few renovations on E. Clifton over the past year.  But many of the buildings are in absolutely horrible condition. 

Offline CincyMan

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #970 on: April 18, 2017, 10:55:56 AM »
And I think it's this little one on Mulberry:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1186932,-84.5162538,3a,75y,232.95h,80.38t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sFWtLRvMPLUXSLBmfZVeVrg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

What about that one on Mulberry? They just repainted it and have been renovating it slowly.

EDIT: It's that one on E Clifton. Whoops!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 10:57:28 AM by CincyMan »

Offline TroyEros

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #971 on: April 18, 2017, 12:06:32 PM »
Why are otr buildings still being demolished? Smh. Shouldn't this be approved by the hcb at the very least? It's covered by the historic boundaries no?

Online taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #972 on: April 18, 2017, 06:51:15 PM »
:

Two days ago, the city tore down the house that adjoined our patio. We were given less than 24 hours notice and it has been stressful and chaotic (we were forced to close on Thursday.) However, as the great comedy troupe, Monty Python, says..."Always Look on The Bright Side of Life..."

BrewRiver's patio now has a fabulous breeze, and even more importantly, an extended river view that is incredible! Also, our entire 2nd floor main dining room now has a river view! We have really been struggling with all the construction traffic, and are so happy to see a positive come from many negatives!

Offline jjakucyk

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #973 on: April 18, 2017, 07:11:42 PM »
The hillside slipping that's going on there along Riverside is frightening.  It's entirely possible the house was on the verge of falling over.  I just biked through there on Sunday (I don't recommend it, what with all the gravel and mud from construction) but I saw sidewalks buckling as far east as the newer townhouses/East End condos, which I think is beyond the work area.  Google Street View has only caught the very beginning of the problem at the old Verdin building.  It now stretches hundreds of feet in either direction.  https://goo.gl/maps/tWsri1MwDvA2

Offline CincyMan

• Huntington Tower 330'

Online jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #975 on: April 21, 2017, 08:32:30 AM »
^Yeah I used to live in a house in that expanding parking lot. 

Offline TroyEros

« Reply #976 on: April 21, 2017, 01:42:40 PM »
Why was that building demolished? Looked pretty healthy to me? Is land being organized for some larger project?

Offline Wally

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #977 on: April 21, 2017, 01:53:17 PM »
^^Expanded zoo parking?  I presume that from the zoo's perspective, they'd love to buy every one of those houses in the surrounding block(s) to control that land?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 01:54:15 PM by Wally »

Online taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #978 on: April 23, 2017, 06:16:01 PM »
Yep. The Zoo loves to brag about how "green" they are, but they don't seem to realize that buying up dense urban housing and demolishing it for parking is possibly the least green thing they could do.

Offline Eigth and State

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #979 on: April 23, 2017, 07:17:41 PM »
^They do realize it. They are just stuck with regard to parking. Almost all of the visitors to the zoo are families that drive to the zoo for the day, and they bring their cars, or more likely, their SUV's and Minivans.

If you are the zoo, what could you do better? Tell your visitors to ride the bus? Build a parking garage? Turn them away when the parking lots are full?

Give them credit for staying in Cincinnati, please. They could have moved to Warren County and built a giant parking lot like Kings Island.

Offline jjakucyk

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #980 on: April 23, 2017, 08:32:00 PM »
A garage would still be better than surface lots.  They can put solar panels over it too. 
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 08:32:10 PM by jjakucyk »

Online taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #981 on: April 23, 2017, 10:40:56 PM »
^They do realize it. They are just stuck with regard to parking. Almost all of the visitors to the zoo are families that drive to the zoo for the day, and they bring their cars, or more likely, their SUV's and Minivans.

If you are the zoo, what could you do better? Tell your visitors to ride the bus? Build a parking garage? Turn them away when the parking lots are full?

Give them credit for staying in Cincinnati, please. They could have moved to Warren County and built a giant parking lot like Kings Island.

The Zoo gets their funding from Hamilton County. I'm not sure how they could even move to a different county logistically. There's no chance that the surrounding counties with their anti-tax attitudes would ever enact a tax to fund the Zoo.

Online jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #982 on: April 24, 2017, 01:34:36 AM »
A garage was planned for the solar panel parking lot.  Vine St. was widened expressly to enable construction of that garage.  The zoo never publicized why the garage was dropped from the plan.  OKI also studied construction of light rail on Vine and Erkenbrecker as an alternative to light rail parallel to MLK.  The station was going to be right there around Shields and Louis. 

I lived there 20 years ago when the solar panel parking lot was a steeply-sloped wooded ravine that separated Vine St. from Ruther.  There was a 7-story green office building right by Shields that had a surface lot at a lower level than Vine.  There was some sort of Catholic convent or or something deep in the ravine that was accessed off of Ruther. 

Offline Eigth and State

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #983 on: April 24, 2017, 08:03:17 AM »
 The zoo gets part of their funding from Hamilton County. (At one point there was a sign in the zoo thanking Hamilton County Voters). I imagine that they get a significant amount from donors, not to mention admissions. Many of the workers are volunteers.

The zoo currently owns a farm in Warren County that they use as auxiliary space for operations.

It would not be easy to move the zoo, but still possible. Maybe they could operate multiple sites, like the hospitals do. In any case, I am happy that the zoo has made a commitment to stay in Cincinnati, despite the fact that some buildings have been torn down for parking.

The entrance area of the zoo, called the zoo village, with the ticket building, the gate, the restrooms, the gift shop, and the bridge is one of my favorite urban design examples. It all used to be a parking lot. Do you remember the old zoo entrance off of Dury? It was a messy and overcrowded area. The gate was an automobile gate rather than a pedestrian gate, and traffic would back up into the street. Once inside the gate, visitors found themselves in a sea of parking lots. That is all exhibit space now. The zoo is getting better, and the zoo is doing pretty well in the urban design area.

I met the facilities director at the zoo, and he is not proud of what the zoo has done to the neighborhood over the years, and he is committed to make the neighborhood better, not worse. That said, the zoo is in kind of a predicament with regards to parking, because almost all of the visitors are families that drive to the zoo.

Offline jjakucyk

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #984 on: April 24, 2017, 09:47:36 AM »
There was a decent, if somewhat hidden pedestrian entrance off Dury back in the day.  It was kind of a neat little sidewalk with bamboo on both sides that came in next to the drive-in lanes.  I assume there was pressure from neighbors to get rid of that so patrons wouldn't park on "their" streets and walk in.  The current bridge is very much a highway-scaled thing catering directly to the main parking lot.  It's kind of confusing if you arrive by any other means, and the berms and retaining walls along Vine and Erkenbrecher are very anti-urban.  Compare to this:  https://goo.gl/maps/W26YK4sB23J2

Online jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #985 on: April 24, 2017, 11:04:42 AM »
There was an employee parking lot that opened off of Erkenbrecker where the Schott building is now with the solar panels on the roof.  If you lived in the area you could get into the zoo for free by simply walking into the employee parking lot and then straight into the zoo since the old entrance was cars-only and you paid admission like a drive-thru. 

I believe that the original entrance to the zoo was at the corner of Vine & Erkenbrecker, and it might have been open through the 90s before the giant retaining wall and bridge was built.  I believe that the bridge was built with the idea that it would connect directly into a multi-deck parking garage. 

Offline Caseyc

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #986 on: April 24, 2017, 11:37:09 AM »
I remember the old Vine and Erkenbrecker entrance as always being closed when I moved here in '03, except maybe for the Christmas extravaganza. It had a jungle safari/thatched roof and spears kind of look, with maybe a cheetah and gorilla statue to complete the tableaux.

My favorite entrance was off of Forest. When my kids went to Zoo Camp, they would give us the access code to that electric gate so we could pick them up after-hours when the zoo was closed. That code continued to work for a long time after zoo camp was over.....

Online taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #987 on: May 10, 2017, 07:49:17 PM »
From the Cincinnati Preservation Association:

Magistrate's ruling in Davis Bldg case, requiring City to grant demo permit, upheld today by Judge Dinkelacker. Updates when available.

So I'm guessing, barring another miracle, the Davis Furniture Building is gone.

Offline TroyEros

« Reply #988 on: May 10, 2017, 08:58:29 PM »
The city hcb and zba denied demolition for the Davis building, and typically follow suit when issuing demolition permits. Judging how the Dennison left a bruise on cranleys campaign, I feel like he will try his best to appeal and save the Davis building (if not try to purchase the building through emminent domain) if nothing more to prove his worth to urbanites.

Online thebillshark

« Reply #989 on: May 10, 2017, 09:15:31 PM »
The city hcb and zba denied demolition for the Davis building, and typically follow suit when issuing demolition permits. Judging how the Dennison left a bruise on cranleys campaign, I feel like he will try his best to appeal and save the Davis building (if not try to purchase the building through emminent domain) if nothing more to prove his worth to urbanites.

Not even in the realm of possibility. Not how he rolls.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 09:16:35 PM by thebillshark »