PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. Also, check your spam folder. *****

We are still having a lot of users try to log on before resetting your password. You will continue to get an error until you reset your password!!

Author Topic: Cleveland: Downtown: Playhouse Square Development and News  (Read 3302 times)

Offline StapHanger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: Cleveland: Playhouse Square Developments
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2008, 09:19:13 AM »
Wow- super cool.  Cleveland's lucky to have two high caliber professional theater companies in town, in addition to all the alternative stages.  After some shaky financial times, it's great to see GLTF in such a great-sounding position.

Offline Map Boy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2008, 10:12:09 AM »
99% fantastic (only the interior garage connection bothers me... surprise!).  I heard about the LEED stuff yesterday and was very pleased.  This should be another wonderful renovation!

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2008, 10:16:14 AM »
99% fantastic (only the interior garage connection bothers me... surprise!).  I heard about the LEED stuff yesterday and was very pleased.  This should be another wonderful renovation!

Hmm, there already is covered access to the parking garage through the Hanna annex (but not from the balcony level). 

Offline StapHanger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2008, 10:22:18 AM »

OK, I admit I didn't even notice that part of the article.  Well we can't expect suburban theater goers to actually touch a sidewalk, can we?!

Offline Map Boy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2008, 10:37:17 AM »
Hmm, there already is covered access to the parking garage through the Hanna annex (but not from the balcony level). 

Ok, so I'm 99.9% thrilled!  Besides, they are improving the sidewalk entrance too, so I can't really complain.

Offline freethink

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2008, 01:46:05 PM »

Offline MyTwoSense

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2008, 10:47:18 AM »
Playhouse Square's "Jersey Boys" sets a new Cleveland one-week Broadway show record

by Tony Brown
Monday July 14, 2008, 5:37 PM

Oh, what a week.

Last week, the tour of "Jersey Boys," the Broadway show about the Four Seasons that is at PlayhouseSquare's State Theatre through Sunday, July 20, set a new Cleveland box office record.

More at http://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2008/07/oh_what_a_week_last.html
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 03:20:43 PM by MayDay »

Offline doctabroccoli

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2008, 10:49:30 AM »
I heart Playhouse Square :-D

Offline EagleFan

• Great American Tower 665'
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2008, 11:41:20 AM »
I thought Wicked was wickedly funny and entertaining.  Unfortunately, I will miss Jersey Boys, but will try to get to Macbeth and A Christmas Carol later this year.

Offline urb-a-saurus

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2008, 03:33:00 PM »
Jersey Boys was fun to watch (warning for kids: F-word employed at least 100 times, LOL).  We have the Broadway Series.  Need to liven up the area after shows.   Even Starbucks was closed.  Bricco, Star, and Hamiltons WERE open for our dining and imbibing pleasure, but the main action is in the parking garages where people jockey for position to stream out of downtown.  I guess you could walk to E4th, sigh.  Playhouse Square with it's big screens, electric news signs,  and angular urban spaces could be an incredible outdoor space for events or even just for sitting at a hypothetical outdoor cafe and people watching.  I do not know why it has not taken off.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 03:35:31 PM by urb-a-saurus »

Offline McCleveland

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2008, 03:34:31 PM »
Jersey Boys was fun to watch (warning for kids: F-word employed at least 100 times, LOL).  We have the Broadway Series.  Need to liven up the area after shows.   Even Starbucks was closed.  Bricco, Star, and Hamiltons WERE open for our dining and imbibing pleasure, but the main action is in the parking garages with people streaming out of downtown.  I guess you could walk to E4th, sigh.  Playhouse Square with it's big screens, electric news signs,  and angular spaces could be an incredible outdoor space for events or even just for sitting at a hypothetical outdoor cafe and people watching.  I do not know why it has not taken off.

I think it's coming.  Patience.

Offline Map Boy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2008, 11:31:07 PM »
eh?  teaser?  you should know better than to expect patience on this board!

Offline CH Jake

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2008, 12:51:27 PM »

If anyone has any pull, I'd like to throw in my two cents -- I'd like to see Huron between Euclid and Prospect converted from a through street and encouragement of a more walkable E. 4th-type development.  With plazas at both ends, several redeveloped buildings already, very little through traffic, and a little distance from E. 4th, it seems like it could be turned into something special.  Particularly if the office tower is built at 9th and Prospect.

Offline StapHanger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2008, 12:56:42 PM »
^That's kind of funny.  Can I assume you did not live in Cleveland (or were young) in the 1980s?  What you describe is pretty much how the street was configured in the 1970s up until Star Plaza was built: the street was one way and narrow and head extra wide sidewalks.  It didn't seem to do much back then to encourage commercial development, but times have sure changed, so maybe it's worth another shot.

Anyone have some photos of the old Huron Road mall?

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2008, 01:22:32 PM »
^next to the Osborne building, there is a small parking garage that has one and only one entrance on Huron. If you got rid of the traffic, you'd shut down that garage.

Offline jpop

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2008, 01:34:40 PM »
And this is bad how? :)

Offline Htsguy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2008, 01:35:36 PM »
When I was reading CH Jake's post I was thinking the same exact thing stated by StrapHanger in his follow up post.  The Huron Rd plaza was basically highly toted at the time and then just became a wind swept ed disaster (very bleak...not alot of street life).  Urban planners tried to correct the problem about 10-12 years ago by putting the street back in.

Offline McCleveland

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2008, 01:36:00 PM »
i don't think it'd work.  Essentially the whole street would have to be redeveloped.  It is basically full with little businesses... other than the buildings that are currently in the district of design footprint.  You'd have to toss all those people out on the street.

Offline StapHanger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2008, 02:10:22 PM »
^Hmmmm, disruptive street reconstruction...sounds familiar.  I agree it wouldn't be very practical in the near term.

I actually remember thinking they kind of blew it when they rebuilt the street after digging up the old plaza design.  They could have left the sidewalks a little wider, but instead went for a pretty wide roadway.  Same thing when they rebuilt Prospect downtown- the curb lane is about 1.5 lanes wide if I remember correctly.

Offline X

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Western Reserve Meadery
« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2008, 02:15:43 PM »
The curb lane on Prospect is nice for bicycling- as there is enough room between parked cars and the through land to ride a bike and not be in door swing range.

Offline McCleveland

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2008, 02:18:03 PM »
not even the disruptive street reconstruction portion.  You've got a nice little run of companies there... the AIA cleveland offices, Floursih ad agency, Richard Fleischman Architects, some sports marketing agency.  You'd have to toss all those companies out, kiss the district of design goodbye, and then try to lure more traditional retail and restaurants to the area.  That street is also almost twice the width of 4th.  I don't think you could possibly have the same type of intimate feel.  You'd also probably have to have someone willing to redevelop the entire halle annex garage with at least something on the ground level or your talking having almost half the street (on the south side) with no storefronts.  You'd also have to deal with the "back end" of the wyndham which is a service entrance, and takes up a large swath of the street.   I think this idea is a lot better in theory than practicality.

Offline StapHanger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2008, 03:17:30 PM »
^All good points.  And even now, the sidewalks there are wide enough to support more traditional outdoor seating if someone ever tried it out.  That was certainly the hope for the Huron storefronts facing Star Plaza when it was built.

Speaking of PHS area storefronts- has anything moved into the Osborne Building ground floor?  Those storefonts seemed to stay empty forever after the renovation and I can't remember if they ever did fill up.  Maybe with a financial services company?

The curb lane on Prospect is nice for bicycling- as there is enough room between parked cars and the through land to ride a bike and not be in door swing range.

Ahhh, yes, I can see that.  I probably wouldn't have even noticed the extra width if there was a striped bike lane there.

Offline McCleveland

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2008, 03:26:21 PM »
Speaking of PHS area storefronts- has anything moved into the Osborne Building ground floor?  Those storefonts seemed to stay empty forever after the renovation and I can't remember if they ever did fill up.  Maybe with a financial services company?

Great Lakes Financial Co. (who owns and financed the osborne / huron square development) moved into the rear of the ground floor (i'd say 18 months or so ago).  There's still nothing in the front of the building.  I've seen it, it's in pretty bad shape and would take a good amount of $ to get it viable.  Not a huge market for it right now methinks.  Though I think if a 300k sf office building and hotel were to pop up across the street... it might become a pretty viable retail option of some kind to someone.

Offline sky

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2008, 08:58:45 AM »
Adding retail to the corner of the Osborn Building and to 1014 Prospect would make a huge different.

Anyone hear anything about Playhouse Square's plans (touted a few years ago) to develop a new condo building at the South West corner of East 17th and Euclid?  Now that East 17th Street is finished, the time is right.

Offline X

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Western Reserve Meadery
« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2008, 11:15:44 PM »
I haven't, but someone added some mounting brackets to the parking garage just to the south of that lot.  I'm assuming that some sort of screening or advertising will eventually be installed.

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2008, 10:07:25 AM »
I haven't, but someone added some mounting brackets to the parking garage just to the south of that lot.  I'm assuming that some sort of screening or advertising will eventually be installed.

They put those up about a month ago and they haven't done anything since. That is the garage for my office building--I haven't heard anything though.

Offline CH Jake

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2008, 09:48:26 AM »
^That's kind of funny.  Can I assume you did not live in Cleveland (or were young) in the 1980s?  What you describe is pretty much how the street was configured in the 1970s up until Star Plaza was built: the street was one way and narrow and head extra wide sidewalks.  It didn't seem to do much back then to encourage commercial development, but times have sure changed, so maybe it's worth another shot.

You're right, I was in Cincinnati in the '80s. 

There are plenty of empty storefronts along the street, and not much activity other than Wyndham hotel employees out for a smoke. 

I'm not suggesting that Huron should become an entertainment hotspot like E. 4th, but that some redevelopment of the empty storefronts is in order and that it could become a pretty cool street.  With the Osborne redevelopment, the end of construction on Euclid, and the redevelopment by the Breuer, this section of Huron should get some new attention. 

Rather than re-configure the street, why not put up some bollards and just cut out the through traffic?  That would still give you access to the Wyndham and the garage, but block cut-through traffic.  I don't think there is much cut-through traffic to begin with, but I think it might make the street more pedestrian-friendly. 

The AIA, Great Lakes Financial, etc. already provide some business presence, and the office tower behind the Breuer will add to that.  There are already quite a few restaurants in the area.  Those parking garages at street level seem to be killers.  What does this street need to liven it up a bit?  More residents perhaps? 

Offline McCleveland

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #57 on: July 21, 2008, 10:04:47 AM »
Adding retail to the corner of the Osborn Building and to 1014 Prospect would make a huge different.

Anyone hear anything about Playhouse Square's plans (touted a few years ago) to develop a new condo building at the South West corner of East 17th and Euclid?  Now that East 17th Street is finished, the time is right.

I don't know about the plans for that parking lot... but they are indeed looking at adding a 12 story residential "tower" above the office resource center / traveler's shoppe building (they are one building).

You're right, I was in Cincinnati in the '80s. 

There are plenty of empty storefronts along the street, and not much activity other than Wyndham hotel employees out for a smoke. 

I'm not suggesting that Huron should become an entertainment hotspot like E. 4th, but that some redevelopment of the empty storefronts is in order and that it could become a pretty cool street.  With the Osborne redevelopment, the end of construction on Euclid, and the redevelopment by the Breuer, this section of Huron should get some new attention. 

Rather than re-configure the street, why not put up some bollards and just cut out the through traffic?  That would still give you access to the Wyndham and the garage, but block cut-through traffic.  I don't think there is much cut-through traffic to begin with, but I think it might make the street more pedestrian-friendly. 

The AIA, Great Lakes Financial, etc. already provide some business presence, and the office tower behind the Breuer will add to that.  There are already quite a few restaurants in the area.  Those parking garages at street level seem to be killers.  What does this street need to liven it up a bit?  More residents perhaps? 

there really aren't any empty storefronts with the exception of the 4 buildings between the halle annex garage and the US bank building, and those are all currently slated for the district of design

http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php/topic,10852.0.html

And I'd actually be against bollarding off that street.  I don't think it's traffic volume is bad, it provides excellent on street parking (which lessens need for garages and surface lots), and still has ridiculously large sidewalks.  I think bollarding it off would actually decrease the amount of people you see on it.  As for what would make the area more lively... residents as always help and that apartment tower at 13th and euclid would help.  I think the DOD would make a huge difference as "customers" of that area would probably be in town for days and stay at the hotel.  Otherwise it's a kind of just "keep doing what you're doing".  A few years ago, that idea center was a sespool, and now it's a tech hub.  More residents (the john Hartness Brown and CAC residents should help a ton), buisinesses (DoD), probably a few more legitimate dining options to add to what's there... maybe a neighborhood type bar.  I think it's happening, it's just going to take a few years.

And yes, converting the halle annex from a garage to a better use would make an enormous impact, but that is a massive undertaking, and one I'm not sure any developer is willing to take on right now.

Offline MyTwoSense

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #58 on: July 21, 2008, 10:15:16 AM »

I don't know about the plans for that parking lot... but they are indeed looking at adding a 12 story residential "tower" above the office resource center / traveler's shoppe building (they are one building).

Now thats GOOD news! :clap:

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2008, 07:08:36 PM »
Which building is this? Anyone got a photo of it?
America will never be destroyed from the outside. -- Abraham Lincoln.