PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. Also, check your spam folder. *****

We are still having a lot of users try to log on before resetting your password. You will continue to get an error until you reset your password!!

Author Topic: Cleveland: Campus District  (Read 1501 times)

Offline gottaplan

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: Cleveland: Campus District
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2012, 06:52:59 PM »
CMHA was recently awarded a grant from HUD to do a masterplan for redeveloping their property in this area

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2012, 12:29:20 PM »
Two recipients of NOACA TLCI planning grants have completed studies recently posted on NOACA's website. One is the East 22nd Street Corridor/Campus District Transportation and Redevelopment Plan proposes transportation improvements in the area between the Cleveland State University and Tri-C Metro campuses that encourage bicycling and walkability, improve land use, and stimulate economic development. The other is Lakewood's Birdtown plan (see the Lakewood thread).

East 22nd Street Corridor / Campus District Transportation and Redevelopment Plan (8.08 MB - August 2011):
http://www.noaca.org/campusdistrict.pdf
America will never be destroyed from the outside. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2013, 01:32:25 PM »
http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/bza/agenda/2013/crr07-15-2013.pdf

9:30 Ward 8
Calendar No. 13-117: 2320 Superior Avenue Jeffrey Johnson
5 Notices

2320 Superior LLC, owner, appeal to establish use as a multi-unit apartment building an existing
three-story structure, located on a 139.60 x 175.92 corner parcel in a C4 Semi-Industry District;
and subject to the provisions under Section 349.15(c), bicycle parking facilities shall be provided
at a rate of one (1) bicycle parking space for each twenty (20) automobiles provided; and in a
C area district, the maximum gross floor area shall not exceed one-half of the lot area and
57,000 square feet is proposed contrary to 12,840 that is allowed according to Section 355.04 in
the Cleveland Codified Ordinances. (Filed 6-14-13)

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2013, 10:56:06 AM »
Demolition of CMHA's old Cedar Estates, 2617 Central Ave, is well underway. I know this filing with the city Planning Commission was posted here before the Great UO Crash of 2013, but I'll be damned if I'm going to go back through old dockets to find it again. So if anyone can remember what CMHA is building here, please share.

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2013/01/cmha_awarded_17_million_to_upg.html

http://www.campusdistrictobserver.com/read/2013/07/29/central-choice-neighborhood-update

« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 11:00:40 AM by KJP »

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
  • Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2013, 01:18:55 PM »
Demolition of CMHA's old Cedar Estates, 2617 Central Ave, is well underway. I know this filing with the city Planning Commission was posted here before the Great UO Crash of 2013, but I'll be damned if I'm going to go back through old dockets to find it again. So if anyone can remember what CMHA is building here, please share.

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2013/01/cmha_awarded_17_million_to_upg.html

http://www.campusdistrictobserver.com/read/2013/07/29/central-choice-neighborhood-update

Their original Master Plan RFQ stated they wanted to "...reduce the density and renovate existing buildings or construct new dwelling units".

City Architecture was awarded the study. I'm not sure of the outcome, but I think it's on their website. They use a crappy flash site so you can't like directly to the page.
http://cityarch.com/  go to Portfolio / Urban Design

There is a project for Campus District / E.22nd Plan and also one for Tri-C Metro Campus Public Space.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2013, 07:34:02 AM »
Sheesh, it's about time the PD reported on this! ;-) (see my July 16 post)

Redevelopment to bring 39 apartments to Superior Ave., in 150-bed project aimed at students (gallery)
By Michelle Jarboe McFee, The Plain Dealer
on October 14, 2013 at 7:00 AM, updated October 14, 2013 at 7:06 AM

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- A local developer trio is converting a onetime textile building on Superior Avenue into housing, with an eye on capturing student renters as Cleveland State University stretches north.

Karen Perkowski, who runs the nearby Tower Press lofts with her husband, Dave, has partnered with Neil Viny of the Dalad Group and serial entrepreneur Doug Weintraub to transform the M.T. Silver building into 39 apartments with space for 150 beds.

The $10.5 million project at 2320 Superior Ave. won't be limited to students. But it's clearly positioned to play off Cleveland State's shift from a commuter school to an engine of residential growth on the east side of downtown.

READ MORE AT:
http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2013/10/redevelopment_to_bring_39_apar.html#incart_river_default
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 07:44:10 AM by KJP »

Online originaljbw

• Great American Tower 665'
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2013, 10:03:05 AM »
I love everything that's going on in the neighborhood BUT... What the H-e-double-hockeysticks is keeping the Norton Furniture building from being renovated into apartments? Seems like there is no time like the present for a building of that age in that location to be instantly sold out with $1200 a month apartments.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2013, 10:06:01 AM »
I love everything that's going on in the neighborhood BUT... What the H-e-double-hockeysticks is keeping the Norton Furniture building from being renovated into apartments? Seems like there is no time like the present for a building of that age in that location to be instantly sold out with $1200 a month apartments.

Because it has an active business in there.

Offline DeanSheen

« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2013, 10:09:58 AM »

I work near there.  Plenty of other similar candidates right around that Norton location. 

I'm glad they are finally on the home stretch of Superior repaving.  That should help change the perception a bit. 

Online originaljbw

« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2013, 10:29:06 AM »

Because it has an active business in there.
I get the first few floors, how about the ten or so floors above it where a fair portion of the windows are broken and/or boarded up.

Additionally how successful is that store? The one time I went there I thought it was a studio sale from the set of Miami Vice.

Offline sizzlinbeef

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2013, 12:35:01 PM »
Funny you mention that, because over the past few weeks they have been repairing the broken and boarded up windows, not sure why, but maybe to make the building more marketable.

Offline BaltiCraig

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2013, 11:26:35 AM »
Site of Jewish Federation of Cleveland's former HQ could become student housing

The former Jewish Federation of Cleveland headquarters at 1750 Euclid Ave. and an adjoining building at 1720 Euclid may make way for construction of an eight-floor building for student housing and a parking garage.

http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20131203/FREE/131209938

Offline Mendo

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2013, 11:42:27 AM »

The former Jewish Federation of Cleveland headquarters at 1750 Euclid Ave. and an adjoining building at 1720 Euclid may make way for construction of an eight-floor building for student housing and a parking garage.

A project description Clayco filed with the city planning department said the proposed building would have 217 rooms and beds for 519 students at Cleveland State University. The project, described as an upscale building with its own courtyard, would include a 234-car parking garage, according to the project description. Clayco would own and develop the property, the document stated.

Fronting Euclid Ave I bet. :roll: Why not build on the dozen parking lots in the area? There is a huge lot just south of this building along Prospect...

Offline PoshSteve

« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2013, 11:58:05 AM »
1720 looks like a beautiful building already. Thats the "Playhouse Square Building" right? Ill be glad to see the Jewish fed building go, but why the other? Oh wait... this is a CSU project lol
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 12:00:35 PM by PoshSteve »

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2013, 12:27:08 PM »
It's not a CSU development per se, but it is for CSU......

Student housing project could replace former Jewish Federation of Cleveland properties near CSU campus
on December 03, 2013 at 12:30 PM, updated December 03, 2013 at 12:51 PM

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Housing for 500-plus students could replace parking lots and a pair of empty buildings at the edge of Cleveland State University, under a plan being floated by an out-of-state developer.

An affiliate of Clayco Realty Group of Chicago has a contract to buy 1.7 acres along East 18th Street from the Jewish Federation of Cleveland. The federation moved to Beachwood in 2010, emptying out its downtown buildings at 1720 and 1750 Euclid Ave. Officials never formally listed the buildings and parking lots for sale, but they've been quietly fielding --- and largely rebuffing -- unsolicited offers.

Now Clayco hopes to clear the site, to make way for a 217-unit apartment building housing 509 beds. The eight-story building would wrap around a four-story Prospect Avenue parking deck topped by a heated swimming pool and grilling area.

READ MORE AT:
http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2013/12/student_housing_project_could.html#incart_river_default

Offline McLovin

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2013, 12:28:43 PM »

A project description Clayco filed with the city planning department said the proposed building would have 217 rooms and beds for 519 students at Cleveland State University. The project, described as an upscale building with its own courtyard, would include a 234-car parking garage, according to the project description. Clayco would own and develop the property, the document stated.

Fronting Euclid Ave I bet. :roll: Why not build on the dozen parking lots in the area? There is a huge lot just south of this building along Prospect...

I have no issue with the garage only if the garage has a modern look with retail at the bottom *cough* 515 Euclid *cough*

Offline McLovin

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2013, 12:31:09 PM »
It's not a CSU development per se, but it is for CSU......

Student housing project could replace former Jewish Federation of Cleveland properties near CSU campus
on December 03, 2013 at 12:30 PM, updated December 03, 2013 at 12:51 PM

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Housing for 500-plus students could replace parking lots and a pair of empty buildings at the edge of Cleveland State University, under a plan being floated by an out-of-state developer.

An affiliate of Clayco Realty Group of Chicago has a contract to buy 1.7 acres along East 18th Street from the Jewish Federation of Cleveland. The federation moved to Beachwood in 2010, emptying out its downtown buildings at 1720 and 1750 Euclid Ave. Officials never formally listed the buildings and parking lots for sale, but they've been quietly fielding --- and largely rebuffing -- unsolicited offers.

Now Clayco hopes to clear the site, to make way for a 217-unit apartment building housing 509 beds. The eight-story building would wrap around a four-story Prospect Avenue parking deck topped by a heated swimming pool and grilling area.

READ MORE AT:
http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2013/12/student_housing_project_could.html#incart_river_default

Looks like an office building
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 12:31:29 PM by McLovin »

Offline Whipjacka

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2013, 12:32:29 PM »
There are a couple renderings in the story

http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2013/12/student_housing_project_could.html

Offline McLovin

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2013, 12:38:48 PM »
There are a couple renderings in the story

http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2013/12/student_housing_project_could.html

I really hope that building design gets shut down by the design committee that is ugly.

Offline Htsguy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2013, 12:44:36 PM »
Lots of positives in the article.  Most significant is out of state developer seeing potential in the city.

The design is not great but not awful either.  A positive is that it will be built to the street on Euclid (getting rid of that ugly plaza in front of the current building) and also replaces that awful surface lot on Prospect.

Offline Hts121

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2013, 12:51:05 PM »
I like it better than the recently built dorms a few blocks down.  Some type of cornice would be nice, but not absolutely necessary to win my approval.  Of course, I imagine the design and placement of the garage are going to invoke some 'pedestrian deathtrap' comments on here

Offline Mendo

« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2013, 01:08:08 PM »
The site plan is better than I expected. Not a fan of the large sidewalk deadzone around the parking garage.

I like it better than the recently built dorms a few blocks down.  Some type of cornice would be nice, but not absolutely necessary to win my approval.  Of course, I imagine the design and placement of the garage are going to invoke some 'pedestrian deathtrap' comments on here

Absolutely people will complain about the garage.  There is nothing fronting the sidewalk from the alley to the surface lot on the other side. Lighting and garages entrances might help. At least there would be some kind of traffic around there.

Offline StapHanger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2013, 01:12:08 PM »
Hard to assess from those renderings, but could be OK, I guess. Looks like there may be an interesting window pattern.  I agree with Hts that's its almost definitely going to be better than the junk further down Euclid.  Stinks to lose the "Playhouse Square Building" though.

I got excited at first when I read this in Michelle's article: The eight-story building would wrap around a four-story Prospect Avenue parking deck topped by a heated swimming pool and grilling area.

But alas, it doesn't really wrap around it, but is rather built on top of it, so much of the perimeter will be dead space.  The green screen is a nice touch, so could be a lot worse.

Offline willyboy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2013, 01:22:37 PM »
Isn't the building in the rendering the Playhouse Square Building?  I hope so, it is a lovely building. 

http://media.cleveland.com/business_impact/photo/1725-euclid-sw-aerial-2013-12-03jpg-db1118db5fd19448.jpg
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 01:24:26 PM by willyboy »

Offline McLovin

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2013, 01:26:48 PM »
I feel small things could be done such as having more glass on the building and placing lounges in that area for students to look out at the city so it wont seem so bland or more vibrant colors, just something to liven the area. I just don't like the dark colored building, and box shape it just looks so uninspiring.

EDIT: The parking lot in the back bothers me for some reason as well.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 01:32:06 PM by McLovin »

Offline Hts121

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2013, 01:27:47 PM »
The site plan is better than I expected. Not a fan of the large sidewalk deadzone around the parking garage.

Absolutely people will complain about the garage.  There is nothing fronting the sidewalk from the alley to the surface lot on the other side. Lighting and garages entrances might help. At least there would be some kind of traffic around there.

It is the entrance which creates the deathtrap... if I understand the concern correctly

Offline Mendo

« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2013, 01:51:22 PM »
It is the entrance which creates the deathtrap... if I understand the concern correctly

I didn't really make my point clear. The renderings don't show any entrances (for cars or people) around the garage, making the entire area a deadzone. Even garage entrances would be better than nothing. It looks like entrances are in the alley between the buildings. But admittedly the renderings don't show much so maybe there are doors, offices, or something along the sidewalk.

Looks like a good project overall. The garage and residential fills in most of the surface lot along Prospect. It would be better if there was something along the sidewalk on Prospect to extend the neighborhood from the K&D Hanna building a block west. Can't have everything though.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 01:55:39 PM by Mendo »

Offline Urbanophile

« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2013, 02:27:24 PM »
I used to always walk up E. 18th on my way to my summer internship at CSU, and I always thought how desperately it needed to be spruced up. This building will help a lot. However, I think it's unacceptable to tear down that brick building.

Offline StapHanger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2013, 02:31:36 PM »
Isn't the building in the rendering the Playhouse Square Building?  I hope so, it is a lovely building. 

http://media.cleveland.com/business_impact/photo/1725-euclid-sw-aerial-2013-12-03jpg-db1118db5fd19448.jpg

I think that's the Bonfoey Gallery building in the rendering.  The PHS Building is between that one and the JCF Building.  In theory, even the JCF building is significant loss because of the stature of the architect, but it really is pretty forgettable.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2013, 03:05:48 PM »
By STAN BULLARD
11:49 am, December 3, 2013
(This story was updated at 3:40 p.m.)

Clayco, a Chicago-based construction and real estate firm, will ask the Cleveland City Planning Commission to demolish the two existing buildings for the proposed project, according to the agenda for the commission's meeting this Friday, Dec. 6.

READ MORE AT: