PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Cleveland: Campus District  (Read 5929 times)

Offline jhonopolis

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: Cleveland: Campus District
« Reply #120 on: December 19, 2013, 08:55:26 AM »
^ on closer look, it appears there might be a cafe. Even so, I feel like a first floor fitness center, lobby, and possible cafe is a decent enough first floor use. Its better than office or residential use in my opinion.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #121 on: December 19, 2013, 10:00:16 AM »
I'll give them this: they were as responsive as possible to the cry for retail space, without actually providing any retail space.  Looks like they just threw some random sidewalk seating into the rendering and some throw-away pop up eye wash in the presentation. The plan still looks a lot better, though, and the fitness center should provide some signs of life at street level.
^ on closer look, it appears there might be a cafe. Even so, I feel like a first floor fitness center, lobby, and possible cafe is a decent enough first floor use. Its better than office or residential use in my opinion.

I agree on both counts.
"Give me control of a nation's money supply, and I care not who writes the laws." -- Mayer Amschel Rothschild, founder of the European banking dynasty.

Offline heightsfan

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #122 on: December 19, 2013, 02:11:34 PM »
A 3-month build time; that's insane for a building that size.  Wonder if someone made a typo and meant to say July 2015.

Offline jhonopolis

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #123 on: December 19, 2013, 02:34:28 PM »
A 3-month build time; that's insane for a building that size.  Wonder if someone made a typo and meant to say July 2015.

Yeah seems almost impossible.

Although they did build pretty fast back in the day...
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 02:36:03 PM by ClevelandOhio »

Offline BaltiCraig

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #124 on: January 19, 2014, 05:37:20 PM »
Cleveland's Campus District could expand the definition of downtown
[/size]500-plus acre area featuring St. Vincent, Tri-C and CSU is joining with stakeholders for 24/7 community

It's downtown, but it's not the downtown of high-rise office buildings and white-tablecloth restaurants.

The 500-plus acres east of Cleveland's central business district has been seen as a sea of low-rise office and warehouse buildings punctuated by a few island campuses — Cleveland State University, Cuyahoga Community College and St. Vincent Charity Hospital...

http://tinyurl.com/ltew624

Offline MayDay

• Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Cleveland Skyscrapers
« Reply #125 on: February 05, 2014, 01:40:15 PM »
Okay folks, speculative retail posts and "what if?" posts about major league soccer have been removed. Let's keep the thread on topic - just a reminder, forumers are welcome to create new threads to continue tangential discussions.

Offline Confiteordeo

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #126 on: March 10, 2014, 07:32:49 PM »
This project is technically just inside the Campus District's service area, although it's oriented towards the public housing that extends deeper into Central.

From this morning's "In the Campus District" email-

Care Alliance Building $10 Million Central Neighborhood Clinic

Care Alliance has started construction on a new two-story, 30,000 square foot medical building which will be focused on the delivery of clinical health care. Services will include dental, women’s health, pediatrics, family medicine, podiatry, optometry, behavioral health and a pharmacy.The project is anticipated to be completed by May 2015. It is located at the SW corner of East 30th Street and Central Avenue. The economic impact in addition to the health care provided will be 56 new jobs, reduction in inappropriate emergency room use, and reduction in the cost of medical and dental care. The project is being spearheaded by Francis Afram-Gyening, Executive Director of Care Alliance, who is a recent new board member to Campus District, Inc.

There's a link to the Care Alliance's own announcement of the project from 2012-

http://www.carealliance.org/2012/05/02/care-alliance-awarded-5-5-million-for-clevelands-public-housing-residents-to-increase-access-to-health-care/

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #127 on: March 10, 2014, 07:57:18 PM »
The Care Alliance project is also noted earlier in this thread, including graphics.
"Give me control of a nation's money supply, and I care not who writes the laws." -- Mayer Amschel Rothschild, founder of the European banking dynasty.

Offline Confiteordeo

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #128 on: March 10, 2014, 10:54:06 PM »
The Care Alliance project is also noted earlier in this thread, including graphics.

Where? I would love to see renderings.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #129 on: March 10, 2014, 11:33:03 PM »
I think they succumbed to the Great UO Crash of 2013. Oh well, they're still on the City Planning Commission website. Somewhere.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #130 on: August 26, 2014, 11:46:00 AM »
http://us6.campaign-archive2.com/?u=3a103b73242a42a334298bd43&id=f16f18d448&e=07adb033c3

Public Invited to September 4th OpenHouse on East 22nd Road Rehab and Streetscape

On Thursday, September 4th the City of Cleveland, Councilwoman Phyllis Cleveland and Campus District, Inc. will host a public information open house for the East 22nd St. Street Rehabilitation and Streetscape project. The improvements will be along East 22nd from Orange Avenue to Euclid Avenue and the purpose of this meeting is to gain community input on the proposed roadway, traffic, and streescape improvements.

This $5.7 million project is being funded by the City of Cleveland and the Northeast Ohio Areawide Coordinating Agency (NOACA). This construction project is the result of an initial study done in 2011 with a Transportation for Livable Communities Initiative (TLCI) grant from NOACA and matching funds from Campus District, Inc. The project will include amenities for cycling and walking, planted median strips, new lighting and streetscape elements such as benches, bike racks, lighting and public art.

Bring your creative ideas!  The meeting will take place Thursday September 4th from 6:00-7:30 P.M. at Cedar Hi-Rise Community Room, 2320 East 30th Street Cleveland, OH 44115.  Pizza and drinks will be provided by Campus District.  Please RSVP by calling 216-344-9200 or my emailing Randy Bowling at randybowlingCDI@gmail.com

Offline flee2thecleve14

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #131 on: September 11, 2014, 09:13:15 AM »
Any updates on the 1750 Euclid Ave student housing? I have not seen evidence of demolition starting yet. Litt's article from January stated that the developer hoped to break ground Spring 2014 with the intent of opening Fall Semester 2015.

Offline simplythis

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #132 on: September 11, 2014, 12:00:43 PM »
Does anyone know how Dave Perkowski conversion of the Tower Press Lofts
into 39 apartments is coming along? 

Offline jjames0408

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #133 on: September 11, 2014, 12:07:24 PM »
You mean M.T. Silver? As I'm looking for places, I saw they had advertised some units and have pictures.

Offline simplythis

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #134 on: September 11, 2014, 12:14:58 PM »
You mean M.T. Silver? As I'm looking for places, I saw they had advertised some units and have pictures.

Yes that is it. Is it completed?

Offline jjames0408

« Reply #135 on: September 11, 2014, 12:19:59 PM »

Yes that is it. Is it completed?
I still live in Florida, but I'm pretty sure it's done. It was supposed to be completed earlier this year.
http://2320lofts.com/
I ruled them out because they do not allow dogs.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 12:23:59 PM by jjames0408 »

Offline jjames0408

« Reply #136 on: September 17, 2014, 09:00:14 AM »
Good news here!

"Construction is set to begin in March on the corridor from Cleveland's Main Post Office on Orange Avenue to CSU's Rhodes Tower at Euclid Avenue. The work should be done by November 2015.

While finishing details are in flux, planners have already decided on major roadway changes."

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2014/09/east_22nd_street_redesign_fina.html#incart_river

Online freethink

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #137 on: October 04, 2014, 11:32:43 PM »
So this must be what is holding up 1750 Euclid. I don't think we knew this.
http://cilistings.listinglab.com//1750Euclid/index.cfm?

Clayco, Inc. dba Clayco Realty Group is looking for a purchaser that will, prior to construction, commit to purchase this development upon its completion.
The offered purchase price is based on a 6.5% cap rate using the projected Year 1 NOI from the development, resulting in a purchase price of $54,650,000.
Construction is expected to begin 1st quarter 2015 at which point a firm contract to purchase the development is needed subject only to sellers obligation to construct a completed development.  Construction will be completed in 2nd quarter 2016 and the sale closing should occur not later than 90 days after the commencement of the 2016 fall semester of Cleveland State University.

Offline sky

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #138 on: October 05, 2014, 10:14:15 AM »
Nice find.  I was wondering about the delay.

Offline JG

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #139 on: October 05, 2014, 06:24:25 PM »
Seems like they weren't able to get financing?  All the numbers listed were Clearwater/Tampa numbers.  I forget, is Clayco from Florida?

Online Cleburger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #140 on: October 05, 2014, 07:21:50 PM »
Good news here!

"Construction is set to begin in March on the corridor from Cleveland's Main Post Office on Orange Avenue to CSU's Rhodes Tower at Euclid Avenue. The work should be done by November 2015.

While finishing details are in flux, planners have already decided on major roadway changes."

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2014/09/east_22nd_street_redesign_fina.html#incart_river

Great news--long overdue!

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #141 on: October 31, 2014, 04:46:53 PM »
Cuyahoga County is close to selling vacant juvenile center
By JAY MILLER
October 31, 2014 9:37 AM

Cuyahoga County plans to sell the former Juvenile Court building to a nonprofit that hopes to convert the 83-year-old building into a charter school.

The FitzGerald administration is seeking a resolution of support from County Council to award a lease with the option to purchase the vacant juvenile complex at 2210 Cedar Ave. to an affiliate of Campus District Inc., the community development nonprofit that serves the area east of downtown from Lake Erie to Cuyahoga Community College.

East 22 Redevelopment LLC would lease the property from the county at $1 per month for 24 months with the option to purchase the property for $350,000 at the end of the first year. The option sale price would increase by $10,000 a month after that first year.

READ MORE AT:
http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20141031/FREE/141039945

Offline sky

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #142 on: November 06, 2014, 08:30:01 AM »
New Campus International School will open in 2016 on Cleveland State University's campus

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2014/11/new_campus_international_schoo_2.html#incart_river

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #143 on: November 30, 2014, 09:49:42 AM »
I still have a hard time with this being in the Campus District, but it is....

Superior Avenue portfolio sees ownership change; ArtCraft Building first to be renovated
By Michelle Jarboe McFee, The Plain Dealer

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- An ownership shift on Cleveland's Superior Avenue could lead to large investments in existing buildings - and longer-term development prospects - along one of the major corridors leading into downtown.
Global X, a company that specializes in tax credits and other real estate financing tools, recently acquired a stake in a cluster of buildings, land and parking lots just east of the central business district. The quiet deal gives Global X a significant say over what will happen north and south of Superior between East 22nd Street and the Inner Belt

http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2014/11/superior_avenue_portfolio_sees.html#incart_river

Artcraft, other downtown spots will get needed work
By STAN BULLARD
Originally Published: November 29, 2014 4:30 AM  Modified: November 29, 2014 9:10 AM

The Roy Group, the longtime owner of the Artcraft Building and other downtown Cleveland properties, has formed a joint venture with principals of the Global X tax credit consulting firm that is expected to inject new life and capital in the building and surrounding neighborhood.

Through 2530 Superior Ave. LLC, five principals of Global X have made an investment that gives them an ability to make changes in the buildings and make a larger investment in the future as it solidifies its plans.

Timm Judson, managing member of 2530 Superior and a Global X principal, said the primary focus is the Artcraft Building, 2530 Superior, which the group is discussing updating with Bruce Madorsky, a principal of Roy.

MORE:
http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20141129/SUB1/311309993/artcraft-other-downtown-spots-will-get-needed-work

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #144 on: December 09, 2014, 08:31:44 AM »
I wonder what Geis would do with this.  I've been in here and it's kind of a dump.  Also, not great location.

Cuyahoga County could sell Whitlatch Building to Geis Cos. for $600,000

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The administration of Cuyahoga County Executive Ed FitzGerald proposes to sell a downtown building for $1.1 million less than what the county paid for it almost 25 years ago.

The deal involves the Whitlatch building, 1910 Carnegie Ave., which the county bought for $1.7 million in 1990. The FitzGerald administration now proposes to sell the building for $600,000.

http://www.cleveland.com/cuyahoga-county/index.ssf/2014/12/cuyahoga_county_could_sell_whitlatch_building_to_geis_co_for_600000.html#incart_river

Edit: I don't know what Ed did, exactly, to piss off the Plain Dealer, but the first two paragraphs don't exactly set him or the sale in a positive light

Ed ran against their boy. The GOP has taken over Ohio's major newspapers.

These articles and discussion would probably be better for the Campus District thread....

Geis Cos. surfaces as potential buyer for county-owned Whitlatch Building
By STAN BULLARD
December 08, 2014 3:03 PM

The Geis brothers still have an appetite for more Cuyahoga County-owned property in downtown Cleveland, even after buying the former Ameritrust Corp. skyscraper from the county.

Cuyahoga County Council’s agenda for its Tuesday, Dec. 9, meeting includes a proposal to sell the county-owned Whitlatch Building, 1910 Carnegie Ave. to GB at 1910 LLC, which refers to the buyer as “Geis” on second reference. The council is scheduled to discuss a proposal from the FitzGerald administration to sell the building at its committee of the whole meeting beginning at 3 p.m. today, Monday, Dec. 8.

The Whitlatch is one of multiple county-owned buildings the county wants to shed after consolidating many of its operations at a new county building at East Ninth Street and Prospect Avenue that Geis constructed and leased to the county. CBRE Group has been managing the headquarters consolidation and property disposition process for the county.

READ MORE AT:
http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20141208/FREE/141209840/geis-cos-surfaces-as-potential-buyer-for-county-owned-whitlatch

Offline JG

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #145 on: December 10, 2014, 09:59:08 AM »
Geis plans single-tenant office revamp of Whitlatch Building, if Cuyahoga County OKs $600,000 sale

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Developer brothers Fred and Greg Geis aim to continue their downtown Cleveland buying spree with the purchase of the Whitlatch Building, a Carnegie Avenue property that could be repositioned for a single office user.

Cuyahoga County is considering a sale of the 33,400-square-foot building, which is largely vacant, to an affiliate of the Geis Cos. of Streetsboro. In an interview Tuesday, Fred Geis said he'll pitch the 1960s structure to tenants interested in having an entire building to themselves and a high-profile perch near Interstate 90.

http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2014/12/geis_plans_single-tenant_offic.html#incart_river

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #146 on: December 10, 2014, 10:42:10 AM »
Interesting! I doubt he'd buy the building without having a potential tenant in mind, especially as Geis separately pursues a 300,000 sf Euclid Avenue office development on spec (without an anchor tenant or two ID'd).

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #147 on: December 23, 2014, 11:00:31 AM »
School board puts Campus International School construction on the fast track: Favoritism for downtown "elites"?
By Patrick O'Donnell, The Plain Dealer
on December 17, 2014 at 9:01 AM, updated December 17, 2014 at 9:12 AM

CLEVELAND, Ohio - The Cleveland school board put building a new home for the Campus International School on a fast track Tuesday night, leapfrogging other schools in construction plans and drawing complaints that the board is favoring "elite" downtown interests.

The board voted Tuesday to ask the state for money to help build a new $22 million building for the popular downtown school right now.

That's well ahead of the schedule for all other construction projects using the $200 million in Issue 4 bonds that voters passed in November. The district plans community meetings early next year about breaking those other schools into construction phases.

MORE:
http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2014/12/school_board_fast_tracks_campu.html

Online freethink

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #148 on: January 08, 2015, 08:48:46 AM »
Firm buys former City Blue Building near CSU for apartment conversion  By STAN BULLARD
Woda Group plans to convert the five-story building at 1937 Prospect Ave. into luxury lofts in an estimated $14 million project.

http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20150108/FREE/150109918/columbus-firm-buys-former-city-blue-building-near-csu-for-apartment
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 08:49:37 AM by freethink »

Offline JG

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #149 on: January 08, 2015, 10:40:12 AM »
40 units in a $14M conversion, I would think this would be difficult to generate enough cashflow to cover the debt.  Maybe they are expecting a lot of money from tax credits.  Anyway, good news for the area!

Where does the Jewish Federation building project stand?  We haven't heard any updates on that project in a while it seems.