Author Topic: Cincinnati: Random Development and News  (Read 68799 times)

Offline IAGuy39

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
Re: Cincinnati: Random Development News & Info
« Reply #3300 on: June 14, 2018, 09:52:48 AM »
^yeah. The city should have put out an RFP to see if any developers had better ideas than just leaving it as a fenced in lawn. That area should be a top priority for infill and increasing density.

It's a 200x100 property.  So room for up to TEN single-family attached row houses.  But they'll probably tear down the historic multifamily that they are currently renting.

Moreover, the owner of the adjacent multifamily is an LLC from New York who just bought it in 2015.  Moreover, the owner of the vacant land on the other side of that multifamily paid $145,000 for a 90x200 plot.   

So back in 2013 "Five Korners LLC" paid $150,000 for a 90x200 plot (814 & 816 Lincoln) but "NVS Properties" is getting a corner parcel nearly identical in size for $7,500. 

Cranley, Cranley, Cranley. 

Yeah, that type of stuff just ticks me off.  Wonder if we can get CityBeat on it to investigate or something.

Seriously, I've been feeling a bit depressed about the state of the city recently.  I know Cranley wants development, but he is really setting the city back with his refusal to do some of the things that will actually progress our city like the Liberty Street Road Diet, simple streetcar fixes, finishing the Central Parkway Bike Lane, and things like trying to give out land for free.  Also, I am pretty ticked about the massive amount of TIF subsidies given to the new stadium.  We could have so much done and get so many projects kick started, like the buildings on 4th Street and Walnut and 5th that would be transformative downtown, using that TIF money.

When Mallory was in, it seemed like a new project was announced weekly, now it is just a crawl... Luckily, Mallory got the private development moving pretty good in OTR with the Streetcar finished up. I can't imagine where we would be without the streetcar...

Offline troeros

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #3301 on: June 14, 2018, 12:28:02 PM »
^yeah. The city should have put out an RFP to see if any developers had better ideas than just leaving it as a fenced in lawn. That area should be a top priority for infill and increasing density.

It's a 200x100 property.  So room for up to TEN single-family attached row houses.  But they'll probably tear down the historic multifamily that they are currently renting.

Moreover, the owner of the adjacent multifamily is an LLC from New York who just bought it in 2015.  Moreover, the owner of the vacant land on the other side of that multifamily paid $145,000 for a 90x200 plot.   

So back in 2013 "Five Korners LLC" paid $150,000 for a 90x200 plot (814 & 816 Lincoln) but "NVS Properties" is getting a corner parcel nearly identical in size for $7,500. 

Cranley, Cranley, Cranley. 

Yeah, that type of stuff just ticks me off.  Wonder if we can get CityBeat on it to investigate or something.

Seriously, I've been feeling a bit depressed about the state of the city recently.  I know Cranley wants development, but he is really setting the city back with his refusal to do some of the things that will actually progress our city like the Liberty Street Road Diet, simple streetcar fixes, finishing the Central Parkway Bike Lane, and things like trying to give out land for free.  Also, I am pretty ticked about the massive amount of TIF subsidies given to the new stadium.  We could have so much done and get so many projects kick started, like the buildings on 4th Street and Walnut and 5th that would be transformative downtown, using that TIF money.

When Mallory was in, it seemed like a new project was announced weekly, now it is just a crawl... Luckily, Mallory got the private development moving pretty good in OTR with the Streetcar finished up. I can't imagine where we would be without the streetcar...

I still think the West End stadium project was the best option. You add, 25,000 (upwards to 30,000 when expanded) to the West End, an area that has seen 0 development, even during the Mark Mallory days. The project will also contain mixed use development around the stadium in the form of retail/dining/perhaps apartments (as stated by Jeff Berding)...

Also, as FCC recently announced, the stadium will host various events and concerts and wont sit vacant when there aren't matches being played. I think this will be a nice addition at the end of it all.

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3302 on: June 14, 2018, 01:12:01 PM »
Also, I am pretty ticked about the massive amount of TIF subsidies given to the new stadium.  We could have so much done and get so many projects kick started, like the buildings on 4th Street and Walnut and 5th that would be transformative downtown, using that TIF money.

Plus, I don't remember all the specific details, but Cranley pulled some sort of shenanigan where the city "refinanced" several TIF bonds and converted them to normal city bonds. Before that happened, I did not even know that sort of thing was possible. I thought once a project was financed with TIF money, the revenue from the TIF district had to be used to pay off the bonds that were issued for the original investment. But apparently all you have to do is refinance the bonds and say "that's no longer a TIF project" and then you free up the capacity of the TIF district. So in the hands of a pay-to-play politician, it's a never-ending slush fund.

Online jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3303 on: June 14, 2018, 01:16:08 PM »

Plus, I don't remember all the specific details, but Cranley pulled some sort of shenanigan where the city "refinanced" several TIF bonds and converted them to normal city bonds. Before that happened, I did not even know that sort of thing was possible. I thought once a project was financed with TIF money, the revenue from the TIF district had to be used to pay off the bonds that were issued for the original investment. But apparently all you have to do is refinance the bonds and say "that's no longer a TIF project" and then you free up the capacity of the TIF district. So in the hands of a pay-to-play politician, it's a never-ending slush fund.

Cranley was a core figure in the establishment of Cincinnati's TIF districts back around 2002-03.  Plus, he worked as an attorney in a practice that specialized in municipal bonds. 

Cranley's entire political strategy since he was 25 years old has been getting huge campaign contributions from developers who he hands public property and subsidies at a deeply discounted price. 

I remember reading a "how to get rich in real estate" book about 10 years ago, and page 1 said join a country club and negotiate on how to pay almost zero tax and get public land and subsidies for dirt cheap. 

Offline JohnClevesSymmes

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #3304 on: June 14, 2018, 01:27:37 PM »

According to the Planning Commission packet, the city did issue an RFP in December 2017.

Offline jwulsin

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3305 on: June 14, 2018, 02:40:17 PM »

According to the Planning Commission packet, the city did issue an RFP in December 2017.

Yikes - you're right that it was put out to bid, but how on earth was this the winning bid? It doesn't meet any of the goals stated in the RFP, so the City should have just waited until a better offer came in: http://choosecincy.com/Cincinnati/media/Cincinnati/EconDev/RFPs/830-Lincoln-RFP.pdf

Online jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3306 on: June 14, 2018, 03:24:14 PM »
I don't know how this process works.  If anyone can share any information I'll do a blog write-up or put something on UrbanCincy. 

I am aware that you are able to petition the Hamilton County Land Bank if you are an owner-occupant adjacent to a vacant lot owned by the land bank.  But this was city-owned land next to an investment property. 

Offline jwulsin

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3307 on: June 14, 2018, 03:54:46 PM »
I don't know how this process works.  If anyone can share any information I'll do a blog write-up or put something on UrbanCincy. 

I am aware that you are able to petition the Hamilton County Land Bank if you are an owner-occupant adjacent to a vacant lot owned by the land bank.  But this was city-owned land next to an investment property. 
If you just want to learn more about the general RFP process, you might be able to get somebody from the City to explain it. The RFP for 830 Lincoln outlined a lot of the process, so I'm not sure what else you might want to learn, other than # of applicants (which I assume the City won't want to divulge).

Online jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3308 on: June 14, 2018, 04:06:21 PM »
Well how is the RFP process publicized?  Does the city typically send letters to nearby property owners?

Offline jwulsin

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3309 on: June 14, 2018, 04:46:16 PM »
Well how is the RFP process publicized?  Does the city typically send letters to nearby property owners?
Not sure if/how they publicize to neighbors... but the City definitely tries to get the word out to developers/architects/etc: http://choosecincy.com/Economic-Development/Opportunities/Request-for-Proposals.aspx

Online jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3310 on: June 14, 2018, 05:10:45 PM »
If I had known about this I would have happily paid...$8,000 for this.  Hell, $18,000 is still a steal for a huge flat lot anywhere in the city. 

Offline JYP

• Global Moderator
  • Burj Khalifa 2,722'
    • Urban Cincy
« Reply #3311 on: June 18, 2018, 09:53:17 AM »
Since Shillito's West and 9th and Plum are poised to become real projects I have created threads for them:

Shillito's West

9th and Plum
“All truly great thoughts are conceived while walking.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3312 on: June 19, 2018, 11:02:47 PM »
Moved the discussion about Hamilton County's sales tax increase to the Hamilton County Politics thread.

Offline jwulsin

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3313 on: June 20, 2018, 11:56:12 AM »
Pete Witte interviewed Steve Leeper on the latest episode of his podcast Live from Table 1, and towards the end Leeper gets quite animated talking about the idea of selling the north building of the downtown library and using the proceeds to improve the south building and "activate" it at street level later in the evening and at night. He seemed frustrated that the deal probably won't happen due to political opposition. Overall, it's an interesting interview.

Offline IAGuy39

« Reply #3314 on: June 20, 2018, 12:32:37 PM »
^Great news on that, that was one of my big ones I really wanted!!!

Also, interested Jwulsin on that podcast you mentioned, that would be so good for downtown if we could do that.  In all seriousness, I think I personally know 3 people that got mugged next to the library. Not certain if that type of stuff has slowed down in the last 3 years or if it is still a problem area.  It kind of sounds to me like it still is. And to me, that's a big barrier to connected downtown better to OTR.

Offline jwulsin

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3315 on: June 20, 2018, 12:38:52 PM »
^Great news on that, that was one of my big ones I really wanted!!!

Also, interested Jwulsin on that podcast you mentioned, that would be so good for downtown if we could do that.  In all seriousness, I think I personally know 3 people that got mugged next to the library. Not certain if that type of stuff has slowed down in the last 3 years or if it is still a problem area.  It kind of sounds to me like it still is. And to me, that's a big barrier to connected downtown better to OTR.

Yeah - I think Leeper agrees with you and feels the library is a key piece to activating Vine St from Fountain Square up to OTR. Personally, I feel it should be a higher priority to get the Terrace Plaza renovated, finish the Garfield Suites renovation (what happened to this job?), and fill in the large surface lots along Vine at 7th.

Offline IAGuy39

« Reply #3316 on: June 20, 2018, 12:43:13 PM »
^Yeah, I don't disagree with you necessarily.  I think probably what Leeper is thinking is more or less the 3CDC strategy in OTR originally and still now:

Get the problem areas fixed first, then let the free market help out a bit on the other ones.

Offline ucgrady

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #3317 on: June 20, 2018, 01:19:02 PM »
The stretch of Vine between 7th and 9th (and really all the way up to Court) is really dead. The library is mostly people just loitering and/or smoking weed, which is actually preferable to the Garfield Suites side of the street. The only real businesses are Jean Robert's and the Garfield Mini Mart, which are both in a terrible one story building and surrounded by an entire city block of surface parking. If 3CDC is going to start focusing more attention on Court street, the block of Vine between 7th and 8th should become much higher priority to better connect Court Street to Fountain Square.

Offline jwulsin

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3318 on: June 20, 2018, 01:30:35 PM »
The stretch of Vine between 7th and 9th (and really all the way up to Court) is really dead. The library is mostly people just loitering and/or smoking weed, which is actually preferable to the Garfield Suites side of the street. The only real businesses are Jean Robert's and the Garfield Mini Mart, which are both in a terrible one story building and surrounded by an entire city block of surface parking. If 3CDC is going to start focusing more attention on Court street, the block of Vine between 7th and 8th should become much higher priority to better connect Court Street to Fountain Square.

I wish Jean Robert's would put a rooftop patio/bar on top. There's a car ramp on the Court St side of the building that makes me think they used to park cars on the roof.

Offline ryanlammi

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3319 on: June 20, 2018, 01:41:25 PM »
fun fact: load requirements for elevated parking are less than half of what is required for a restaurant.

Online jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3320 on: June 20, 2018, 01:54:26 PM »
I wish Jean Robert's would put a rooftop patio/bar on top. There's a car ramp on the Court St side of the building that makes me think they used to park cars on the roof.

Yeah they were still parking cars up there in the 90s.  I walked up there and took photos once or twice. 

Offline GCrites80s

• Premium Member
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • 1492 or 4,192?
« Reply #3321 on: June 20, 2018, 01:56:28 PM »
Yeah it's weird, you think cars are heavy and they put all their weight on only a few inches of square feet per tire, but they really aren't as dense as restaurant equipment and people seated all over the room in furniture.

Offline jwulsin

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3322 on: June 21, 2018, 12:27:52 PM »
Not sure if this deserves its own thread, but the building at 22-24 W Seventh St is going to be renovated into 14 apartments and 2 commercial spaces, after receiving tax credits in the latest round: https://www.wcpo.com/news/transportation-development/development/cincinnati-s-traction-building-hamilton-s-champion-paper-mill-win-big-in-historic-tax-credits

22-24 W. Seventh St., Cincinnati
Total Project Cost:  $1,790,000
Total Tax Credit:  $245,000
An eight-story building in downtown Cincinnati's Race Street Historic District, this building is an early example of the transition from smaller-scale commercial buildings to modern skyscrapers. After years of vacancy, the c. 1898 building will be rehabilitated into 14 two-bedroom apartments and two commercial spaces.

Offline ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #3323 on: June 21, 2018, 10:49:28 PM »
A revival is underway on Fourth Street

A partner with Loring Group said the vision for this corner of downtown is to return it to its former glory at the end of 19th century.

More below:
https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2018/06/21/a-revival-is-underway-on-fourth-street.html
"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Offline ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #3324 on: June 23, 2018, 06:15:35 PM »
Historic downtown building to become apartments, thanks in part to tax credits

The renovation of a historic downtown Cincinnati office building into apartments is moving forward after receiving state tax credits.

More below:
https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2018/06/22/historic-downtown-building-to-become-apartments.html

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Offline The_Cincinnati_Kid

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3325 on: June 25, 2018, 01:53:54 PM »
Movie theater will return to downtown Cincinnati
By Chris Wetterich  – Staff reporter and columnist, Cincinnati Business Courier
Jun 25, 2018, 12:41pm EDT

Downtown Cincinnati will soon have a movie theater once again, in the same spot where its last theater closed to make way for the Cincinnati Shakespeare Company.

Cincinnati World Cinema is expected to move into the theater slot at 719 Race St. in the Garfield Tower Apartments within the next 90 days.

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2018/06/25/movie-theater-will-return-to-downtown-cincinnati.html

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3326 on: June 25, 2018, 02:07:44 PM »
That's cool, I'm glad this group will be able to bring an old theater back to life.

This reminds me, though, I had been meaning to post this article in one of the Cincinnati threads:

Arena District Movie Theater Will be Converted to Office Use

Anyone holding out hope that a movie theater would re-open in the Arena District can officially consider those hopes dashed. Nationwide Insurance announced today plans to convert the 31,000 square feet of space into a new “Innovation Center,” relocating workers from its “Refinery 191” innovation space next door.

“The expansion of our innovation facilities reflects our commitment to developing new ways to help members protect what’s most important and plan for a secure future,” stated Terrance Williams, Nationwide’s chief marketing officer and president of emerging businesses. “By repurposing a space we already own, we will cost effectively meet our growing business needs. It’s a win-win for both Nationwide and the Arena District.”

^ The idea comes up from time to time that Downtown Cincinnati needs a multiplex cinema, and I think this goes to show that it's very hard for them to succeed in downtowns.

Offline troeros

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #3327 on: June 25, 2018, 02:53:45 PM »
Isn’t that theater super run down? Isn’t that why the Shakespear co left in the first place?

Offline DEPACincy

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #3328 on: June 25, 2018, 04:07:34 PM »
Isn’t that theater super run down? Isn’t that why the Shakespear co left in the first place?

I know CMC Properties has been working on renovating it for awhile and now it looks like the new tenant will be putting an additional $30,000 to $50,000 into it as well.

Offline jwulsin

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #3329 on: June 25, 2018, 04:10:54 PM »
The space was originally designed as a movie theater, so it was never an ideal home for the Shakespeare Company. If you go to the new Shakespeare Company theater, you'll see how it has no resemblance to a movie theater.