PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. *****

Author Topic: Favorite Music At The Moment?  (Read 5738 times)

Offline E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: Favorite Music At The Moment?
« Reply #1440 on: July 12, 2017, 05:12:50 AM »
Yeah, nobody else could get away with that now. If a young popular band did that stuff the internet would go nuts.

Unless they were a hip hop group of course.

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1441 on: July 16, 2017, 02:15:00 PM »
I've had this funk song from 1975 stuck in my head for a few days. Keep listening, and towards the middle of the song, you will hear a hook that got sampled in a popular late 90's rap song...

Offline E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1442 on: July 16, 2017, 02:43:34 PM »
I've had this funk song from 1975 stuck in my head for a few days. Keep listening, and towards the middle of the song, you will hear a hook that got sampled in a popular late 90's rap song...

Kind of a slim connection.   Shady, really.....

When I get a mid 70s soul song stuck between my ears, it's usually this one.   IMNSHO it's the "shark song" for smooth soul, the peak of evolution.

Offline E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1444 on: July 27, 2017, 03:00:58 PM »
Ten years ago this month, I saw They Might Be Giants at the Beachland Ballroom in Cleveland. After the first song, the band took a bow and rushed off stage and I thought it was a gag, but it turns out that the venue blew a fuse. We stood around for awhile confused, but then the guys came out and explained what happened, and said that they'd play a few songs acoustically. Some one was able to rig up a small light pointed at the band, but there were no mics or amps being used. It was super cool to watch them play while the audience was completely silent so we could hear them.

Offline moonloop

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1445 on: August 10, 2017, 01:22:22 PM »
I found this article timely, for me at least, as I've avoided subwoofers since their existence but lately I've been considering adding one to my system. This article convinced me not to bother.

Drop the Bass: A Case Against Subwoofers

Though bass-boosting subwoofers are everywhere nowadays, Damon Krukowski argues that, for certain styles of music, these low-end behemoths are actually ruining our listening experiences

http://pitchfork.com/features/oped/9667-drop-the-bass-a-case-against-subwoofers/

They even quote one of the guys from Sunn O))). Pat yourself on the back if you can listen to an hour this:
[youtube]https://youtu.be/vNcjdzpZNVs[/youtube]

Offline eastvillagedon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1446 on: September 08, 2017, 01:41:41 PM »
with the recent death of Jerry Lewis, I thought of his son's band in the 60's, Gary Lewis & the Playboys. I loved this group

Online surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1447 on: September 08, 2017, 03:48:23 PM »
In high school I bought a cassette that had Gary Lewis & the Playboys on one side, and Jay and the Americans on the other. That's the reason that to this day I can't tell which band is which lol.

The early-mid sixties were such a great time for music. The Wrecking Crew played on Gary's biggest hit, This Diamond Ring. I just happened to read all about it in a terrific book by Kent Hartman.

Offline mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1448 on: September 08, 2017, 08:46:32 PM »
ian svenonius, who dates back to the dischord glory days, is the last guy standing still plying the dead genre that was called rock music.

demo & pop versions   :mrgreen:

[youtube]https://youtu.be/DNXajx9CXoo[/youtube]

[youtube]https://youtu.be/atPo5smGEoM[/youtube]

Offline eastvillagedon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1449 on: September 09, 2017, 10:44:01 AM »
In high school I bought a cassette that had Gary Lewis & the Playboys on one side, and Jay and the Americans on the other. That's the reason that to this day I can't tell which band is which lol.

The early-mid sixties were such a great time for music. The Wrecking Crew played on Gary's biggest hit, This Diamond Ring. I just happened to read all about it in a terrific book by Kent Hartman.

I don't think you remember this since I think you're a lot younger than me, but not to be outdone by Gary Lewis, the son of Dean Martin (who of course was Jerry Lewis's famous comedy partner from earlier years), Dean Paul Martin (or Dino), formed a band himself with Desi Arnaz Jr. (obviously the son of Desi Arnaz and Lucille Ball), and someone named Billy Hinsche (of non-showbiz royalty) called Dino, Desi and Billy. They never achieved the level of success Gary Lewis did. I don't know why. A group of wealthy, privileged Beverly Hills kids singing a song call "The Rebel Kind" :roll:

« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 10:46:09 AM by eastvillagedon »

Online surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1450 on: September 09, 2017, 10:59:03 AM »
Lol. Well, I am a bit of a music nerd, so I'm totally down with "The Rebel Kind."

I've actually seen Billy Hinsche many times as he's long been a sideman for the Beach Boys. Lead guitarist Carl Wilson was married to Billy's sister. When they divorced (it was amicable because everyone on earth loved Carl) Carl married.....Dino Martin's sister.

Everyone loved Carl!

Offline eastvillagedon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1451 on: September 09, 2017, 11:31:46 AM »
^You're a real historian of this music. I loved that whole period since I was in elementary school and jr. high then, but what's your excuse? lol In response the the huge success of the Beatles and the British Invasion, American groups formed in an attempt to emulate that sound, none of them of course as successful as the Beatles, but still some made it pretty big. I loved the Buckinghams from Chicago, named after the famous fountain in Grant Park (at least I think that's the story. I think they still play the nostalgia circuit to geriatric baby boomers :|). Plus other groups with a lighter pop/rock sound ("sunshine pop")--there were so many of them--Spanky and Our Gang, etc...I'm a little miffed that even on what was considered NY's big oldies station, WCBS FM, they no longer play anything from the 60's (I guess they figure everyone from that era  must be dead by now). Now it's mostly 80's and even 90's  :-P

« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 11:32:51 AM by eastvillagedon »

Online surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1452 on: September 09, 2017, 01:30:45 PM »
^ All good stuff! I too lament the loss of 50's and 60's oldies radio. The Cars, Asia and Toto and other 80's groups are NOT oldies lol.

Offline E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1453 on: September 09, 2017, 03:56:09 PM »
with the recent death of Jerry Lewis, I thought of his son's band in the 60's, Gary Lewis & the Playboys. I loved this group

Gary lived in Maple Heights for a very long time, he still may.

Offline E Rocc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1454 on: September 09, 2017, 03:58:10 PM »
^You're a real historian of this music. I loved that whole period since I was in elementary school and jr. high then, but what's your excuse? lol In response the the huge success of the Beatles and the British Invasion, American groups formed in an attempt to emulate that sound, none of them of course as successful as the Beatles, but still some made it pretty big. I loved the Buckinghams from Chicago, named after the famous fountain in Grant Park (at least I think that's the story. I think they still play the nostalgia circuit to geriatric baby boomers :|). Plus other groups with a lighter pop/rock sound ("sunshine pop")--there were so many of them--Spanky and Our Gang, etc...I'm a little miffed that even on what was considered NY's big oldies station, WCBS FM, they no longer play anything from the 60's (I guess they figure everyone from that era  must be dead by now). Now it's mostly 80's and even 90's  :-P

Yeah, the Association leaps to mind when you talk about that sound.

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1455 on: September 09, 2017, 04:04:28 PM »

Offline mrnyc

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1456 on: September 10, 2017, 10:47:38 PM »
more of the modern good 'ol real rawk:

[youtube]https://youtu.be/kjUbUSNsGbo[/youtube]

Offline eastvillagedon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1457 on: September 11, 2017, 01:33:10 PM »

Gary lived in Maple Heights for a very long time, he still may.

what? are you serious? how did that happen? not that there's anything wrong with living in Maple Heights. lol

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1458 on: September 30, 2017, 04:28:31 AM »
I saw The Afghan Whigs at Bogart's on Sept 28.  Unfortunately the death of Dave Rosser has left a considerable void in the sound.  They had the keyboard player play his guitar parts on a few songs but it definitely was not the same.  Also, the drummer was rushing in many of the songs.  It's like, come on dude.  Eventually he relaxed but the first 4-5 songs were ruined by his amateurish rushing. 

When the band reformed in 2012, they had the original bass player and original guitarist + Rosser.  It was unbelievable...probably the most dominating guitar sound I've ever heard.  And a drummer who held back.  The 2017 version of the band has a different drummer, different lead player, and no full-time rhythm player. They also have a different sound system and I would guess a different sound guy.  With all of those changes they're still good but only ate 96-97% totality, not in in the 100% Path of Totality.  The whole dilemma with rock & roll is that IT ALL NEEDS TO BE HAPPENING.  YOU NEED TO BE FIRING COMPLETELY ON ALL CYLINDERS, all the time, in all respects. Close isn't just not good enough, it probably sucks. 

The set list was dominated by the two new albums.  Not a bad thing because there are a solid 5 good songs between the two records, which is 5 more than most new records by older bands. But they only played 2-3 of the monster jams from the 90s.  We got Debonair, Something Hot, and a slow version of Going to Town.  No Milez is Dead, no Honkey's Ladder, etc. 

The one interesting detail is that they had the singer from Har Mar Superstar (the opening act) come out and sing the actual song while Greg Dulli screwed around on the piano.  He's the actor singing the song in the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLF11DF7E896AFD1CB&time_continue=80&v=Kp7ooQ_7TPg

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1459 on: October 02, 2017, 03:21:26 PM »
Tom Petty dead.  Dammit! 

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1460 on: October 02, 2017, 04:29:03 PM »
There's still no actual confirmation that he has died yet. The report from earlier was that: "We're told after Petty got to the hospital he had no brain activity and a decision was made to pull life support." Certainly doesn't look good though...
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 04:29:14 PM by taestell »

Offline old edale

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1461 on: October 02, 2017, 04:31:54 PM »
Ugh, this week already blows. I'm so happy I got to see Tom Petty live a few years back. Honestly was one of the best concerts I've ever been to. RIP to a true legend.

Offline musky

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • "Where there is no vision, the people perish..."
    • FB
« Reply #1462 on: December 01, 2017, 11:03:36 AM »
Getting in the mood

The Raveonettes-Christmas in Cleveland

It's Christmas in Cleveland
Buddy died not so far from here
Buddy died years ago
All the trees in the hallway
They're all so tall, so beautiful

We're honoring Buddy Holly
Wanda Jackson in Cleveland
She's honoring Buddy Holly

The Drifters in Cleveland
They're honoring Buddy Holly
And so are we, and so are we
We're all in Cleveland
Except Buddy Holly

Offline eastvillagedon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1463 on: December 01, 2017, 02:40:15 PM »
^touché (I think I neglected my annual posting of this song last year :()

Offline TBideon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1464 on: December 01, 2017, 04:43:15 PM »
Daniel Kim makes some pretty damn good mashups. The kid has a talent.

Online surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1465 on: December 01, 2017, 04:52:52 PM »

Slack Jaw aka Rust for a little while!

Offline viscomi

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #1466 on: December 01, 2017, 06:07:43 PM »
The newest Mac Demarco album is pretty good.

Offline eastvillagedon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1467 on: December 02, 2017, 02:53:04 PM »

Slack Jaw aka Rust for a little while!
aka Deadbeat Poets?? I don't get it. Are all these bands affiliated?

Offline eastvillagedon

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1468 on: December 07, 2017, 03:56:04 PM »
yesterday was the 100th anniversary of Finnish Independence Day and I neglected to pay tribute to my ancestral heritage :-[ Here's Joan Baez to do it. (What, Joan Baez, she's not Finnish! lol)

here's the original "tongue." Finns are so weird :( I'm having terrible flashbacks

« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 04:08:56 PM by eastvillagedon »

Offline CBC

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1469 on: December 08, 2017, 10:37:19 AM »
Thanks EVD. I always forget about Slackjaw.