PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. Also, check your spam folder. *****

We are still having a lot of users try to log on before resetting your password. You will continue to get an error until you reset your password!!

Author Topic: Cleveland: University Circle: Uptown (UARD)  (Read 2558 times)

Offline Htsguy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: Cleveland: Uptown (UARD) in University Circle
« Reply #1740 on: November 11, 2016, 09:34:22 AM »
Something I was very happy to see was the crane for One University as you drive west on Euclid from Uptown.  It is clear from the crane that 1UC is going to have a real presence as you drive down Euclid from the east, even from a distance. 

On the other hand very disappointed with the siting of the new Clinic Cancer Center.  While I like the design of the building the set back just kills me.  It really ruins the intersection of Carnegie and E105th.

Offline urb-a-saurus

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #1741 on: November 11, 2016, 09:55:52 AM »
^  I wonder if the cancer center setback is an example of what the setback will be all the way down to E 89 once older clinic buildings are replaced per master plan.

Offline Mov2Ohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1742 on: November 11, 2016, 10:03:51 AM »
Don't they build those set backs for pick-up and drop-off lanes for patients so vehicles aren't blocking the street?

Offline MuRrAy HiLL

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1743 on: November 15, 2016, 08:53:22 AM »
Euclid 116 apartments to cater to University Circle students
KARIN CONNELLY RICE | TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 15, 2016

http://www.freshwatercleveland.com/devnews/Euclid116111516.aspx

Offline clvlndr

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1744 on: November 15, 2016, 09:23:32 AM »
Euclid 116 apartments to cater to University Circle students
KARIN CONNELLY RICE | TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 15, 2016

http://www.freshwatercleveland.com/devnews/Euclid116111516.aspx

Wow, stainless steel kitchens with granite counter tops!?  These kids'll be Living the Life.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 09:23:53 AM by clvlndr »

Offline w28th

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1745 on: November 15, 2016, 10:11:51 AM »
Weakest designed project in the City of late.

Offline Htsguy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1746 on: November 15, 2016, 10:42:53 AM »
^have to agree.  Also, remembering my college days, that room rental idea is asking for more problems than they can anticipate.  As a private landlord do you really want to put yourself in a position where you might have to be a conflict resolution counselor?

Offline jmicha

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1747 on: November 15, 2016, 10:54:54 AM »
That's essentially the business model one of my clients uses for their shared housing business. Basically they don't play RA. If you have a problem you work it out or you choose to leave.

Apparently there are very few conflicts for my client since the roommate matching is pretty intelligently done and results in people who are most compatible living together.

It also helps though that my client provides all basic necessities to each unit (TP, paper towels, cooking supplies, etc.), covers heat, water, electricity, etc. all in rent, has a cleaning person come weekly to clean bathrooms and the kichen and all other common areas, and provides the ability to switch rooms if a problem does arise that can't be worked out by the tenants.

Most roommate conflicts come from one of these areas so it works out. Granted it also means rent is outrageously high, even for NYC standards ($2,500 100 sf bedrooms anyone?) but there is a client base out there that loves it.

Offline jborger

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #1748 on: November 17, 2016, 11:25:53 AM »
^have to agree.  Also, remembering my college days, that room rental idea is asking for more problems than they can anticipate.  As a private landlord do you really want to put yourself in a position where you might have to be a conflict resolution counselor?

It's becoming a common business model around college campuses.

http://www.theprovincekent.com/

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
  • Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #1749 on: November 18, 2016, 07:54:26 AM »

Being that you have some insight into this type housing, do you think it's a good investment? Increases the up-front costs and makes it harder for first timers I would assume.

Offline WestBLVD

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #1750 on: December 29, 2016, 12:08:48 PM »
Banyan Tree looks to have closed their shop in Uptown. Hopefully retail will do a little better once the new apartments in the neighborhood get built. It appeared as if ground was already being broke around the corner for the Centric Project this afternoon.

Offline clvlndr

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1751 on: December 29, 2016, 01:02:03 PM »
Banyan Tree looks to have closed their shop in Uptown. Hopefully retail will do a little better once the new apartments in the neighborhood get built. It appeared as if ground was already being broke around the corner for the Centric Project this afternoon.

That's the second small women's apparel shop that's failed in that location.  'Ann Von H' (or something like that) was the first.

Offline freethink

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: Cleveland: University Circle: Uptown (UARD)
« Reply #1752 on: March 10, 2017, 02:43:58 PM »
Anyone know what's going on at 11702 Euclid the old food co-op site across from the speech center. There is a case report at design review listing Vocon as the company which I assume is the architect. Was that the site for CIA student housing maybe?

Offline Baskervilles

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #1753 on: March 10, 2017, 03:01:24 PM »
Yeah that will be a four story CIA housing building.

Offline Tarblooder14

• Excavation Site
« Reply #1754 on: March 10, 2017, 06:21:34 PM »
Can someone post a pic of the Construction projects underway in University Circle? I'm live out of town and enjoy keeping up with the construction projects. In the mean time. I'll search for active web cams.

Thanks in advance.

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #1755 on: March 14, 2017, 02:24:30 PM »
Anyone know what's going on at 11702 Euclid the old food co-op site across from the speech center. There is a case report at design review listing Vocon as the company which I assume is the architect. Was that the site for CIA student housing maybe?
Yeah that will be a four story CIA housing building.

Cleveland Planning Commission
Agenda for March 17, 2017

EUCLID CORRIDOR DESIGN REVIEW
EC2017-005 CIA Student Housing New Construction: Seeking Schematic Design Approval
Project Address: 11702 Euclid Avenue
Project Representative: Denver Brooker, Vocon

America will never be destroyed from the outside. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Offline anthonyb

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #1756 on: March 14, 2017, 02:47:17 PM »
These new colors look a lot better than the first proposal.

Offline Mendo

« Reply #1757 on: March 14, 2017, 02:54:21 PM »
Looks good. Much better than the concept images from a couple months ago.

Offline Clueless,Ohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1758 on: April 10, 2017, 07:18:29 PM »

Offline w28th

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1759 on: April 10, 2017, 08:15:49 PM »
Love the density, terrible building

Offline jmicha

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1760 on: April 10, 2017, 08:27:32 PM »
Well those are...small windows...the facade materials, which will undoubtedly be low quality, will be so much more on display.

Offline jborger

« Reply #1761 on: April 11, 2017, 01:00:40 PM »
Being that you have some insight into this type housing, do you think it's a good investment? Increases the up-front costs and makes it harder for first timers I would assume.

(sorry for the late response, but had to jump back in...)

Regarding this being a good investment... Euclid 116 advertises its 4 bedroom apartment as their "best value". It's 1,228 sq ft and $950/month per bedroom. That's a total of $3,800/month or $3.09 per square foot. That's the most expensive residential real estate in the city! Yes, it's furnished, but I doubt it's that high end considering this is student housing. So yes, I'd say it's a good investment.

Offline clvlndr

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1762 on: April 11, 2017, 02:17:40 PM »
^^^Function over form.  I love the high-density residences this building brings -- this area needs them -- and the way the building crowds the sidewalks on Euclid and E. 116th.  Not every project is going to be perfect.

Online surfohio

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1763 on: April 11, 2017, 03:01:12 PM »
It looks as if the window size is in deference to the existing building across the street.

Offline McLovin

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #1764 on: May 09, 2017, 12:07:37 PM »
Coming along nicely. I love the density.
https://flic.kr/p/Tq1k2D
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 12:08:15 PM by McLovin »

Offline Htsguy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1765 on: June 12, 2017, 04:41:31 PM »
^I drove by this project today.  You guys might like the density but I don't know how this piece of s@$t got pass design review.  The windows and doors look even cheaper in person and there is now this awful red brick at the base going up about 1 1/2 stories which is flat and lifeless, almost fortress like.

Yeah it is to the sidewalk unlike what was there before but it is going to be a wart on Euclid for years to come.

Offline jws

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #1766 on: June 12, 2017, 05:01:44 PM »
I grew up in a 1970's "colonial" tract house that had storm windows attached to the outside of the primary window frame, causing them to protrude and look generally kind of weird. The windows on this building look very similar.

Offline jmicha

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1767 on: June 12, 2017, 05:21:42 PM »
It looks like they've pushed the windows out so they'll be in plane with whatever the exterior materials are (isn't it a mix of brick and stucco?). Which is a crap design choice as far as aesthetics and is asking for those cheap windows to leak the moment the cheap flashing fails or is installed wrong which it likely is since that is consistently a major problem for these new buildings. It's a shame it couldn't be built to better standards. Plenty of high quality buildings are going up all over town of this scale but this one is falling way short.

Offline McLovin

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #1768 on: June 16, 2017, 11:30:03 AM »

Offline jmicha

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #1769 on: June 16, 2017, 11:39:35 AM »
Blech.

I remember making comments about this building when it was just a couple elevation renderings and stating it would turn out terribly and receiving some pushback. I really hope it's more clear now that it is a truly trash building. Everything about it is wrong or off.