PLEASE READ!!!

***** ALL users will have to request a password reset BEFORE you will be able to log into the forum. See the thread in the forum issues section for further instructions. If you have issues with this, email us at admin@urbanohio.com. Also, check your spam folder. *****

We are still having a lot of users try to log on before resetting your password. You will continue to get an error until you reset your password!!

Author Topic: Cleveland: University Circle: Uptown (UARD)  (Read 2496 times)

Online MayDay

• Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Cleveland Skyscrapers
Re: Cleveland: Uptown (UARD) in University Circle
« Reply #150 on: July 22, 2008, 12:45:50 PM »
"I have never seen a college that has virtually no night life going on in the neighborhood surrounding."

Have you ever MET some Case undergrads?

<back on topic>

Offline bizbiz

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #151 on: July 22, 2008, 12:50:16 PM »
The CWRU nightlife is and has been happening a mile east, at Coventry. Uptown will obviously be the place to be once all is said and done.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 12:51:26 PM by bizbiz »

Offline Eparabola

• Rhodes Tower 629'
« Reply #152 on: July 22, 2008, 12:52:51 PM »
I remember Peter Lewis gave a talk a few years ago and chastised Case - well, actually the whole community - for not properly developing the area.  If this plan comes together (isn't there going to be an official announcement today?), then maybe he'll give some $$$ to the area like many thought he would.

Online 3231

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #153 on: July 22, 2008, 12:56:11 PM »
The tenant mix will be very interesting. Will they target college kids, grad students, medical residents, researchers, mature folk going to see arts-related activities?? I've heard something vague as if they are really going for a mix.

Offline McCleveland

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #154 on: July 22, 2008, 01:05:21 PM »
The tenant mix will be very interesting. Will they target college kids, grad students, medical residents, researchers, mature folk going to see arts-related activities?? I've heard something vague as if they are really going for a mix.

to me this is the best and most interesting part of the project.

Offline the pope

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #155 on: July 22, 2008, 01:07:40 PM »

I am also interested, I'm thinking of the following demographics in the immediate area

1) tons of College Kids
2) Tons of workers, with an nod to the heavy emphasis upon medical
3) The more mature cultural orchestra/arts crowd.

I guess what I'm saying is there's a lot of different groups that touch UC on a daily/weekly basis.

Offline McCleveland

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #156 on: July 22, 2008, 01:08:37 PM »
my goodness.... it'll be (gasp)... almost... city like, when this thing comes together.

Online StapHanger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #157 on: July 22, 2008, 01:10:51 PM »
The comparison lots of people like to make is Harvard Square: students of all levels, cultural institutions, lots of office workers, lots and lots of restaurant/retail, public transit hub, etc.  Harvard Square doesn't have the hospitals though (for worse or...for better?). 

Online 3231

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #158 on: July 22, 2008, 01:12:43 PM »
I think that the entertainment stuff will be more centered around the alley and the everyday retail will go on Euclid.

UCI is also working on a parking garage along the rapid tracks and a possible grocery store on Mayfield adjacent to the redline.

There are also some other smaller things brewing in the area..

Offline McCleveland

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #159 on: July 22, 2008, 01:15:10 PM »
it's official... i'm now enamored with the pedestrian alley.  i keep staring at the graphic and i keep envisioning the possibilities... i think my head is going to explode.

Online StapHanger

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #160 on: July 23, 2008, 11:11:45 AM »
Woke up this morning all happy about this project.  I think it excites me more than any other single mega project (FEB, Pesht) on the boards right now.

Offline Florida Guy

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #161 on: July 23, 2008, 11:31:44 AM »
I missed this thread yesterday. Excellent news!

Offline tinkerbelle

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #162 on: July 23, 2008, 12:27:31 PM »
I remember hearing about this project a while back and I kind of forgot about it. I am super glad that it is progressing!

Now lets see some concentration on the Western Side of East 105. Hough, Wade Park, Ansel should all be glorious gateways into the circle.

I agree.

Offline X

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Western Reserve Meadery
« Reply #163 on: July 23, 2008, 01:19:03 PM »
Well, there is Uptown, and UCI wants to develop the land where the old National City Branch was located.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 01:19:47 PM by X »

Online MayDay

• Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Cleveland Skyscrapers
« Reply #164 on: July 23, 2008, 02:57:25 PM »

Offline ragarcia

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #165 on: July 23, 2008, 03:29:55 PM »
When I moved to Cleveland from Puerto Rico in 1990 to go to Case I lived in some of those nasty dorms in the North side of campus (the dorm was Taft).  I could not believe how impossible it was for us to have fun outside in the University Circle area.  University Circle just did not offer anything of value to us (asides from 10 cent wing nights at The Euc).

I was and still am surprised as to why it has taken 18 years to get a project like this off the ground.  However, now that it seems to be up and running, I get so...well, makes me wish I was 18 again.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 03:32:32 PM by ragarcia »

Offline CornerCurve

• Great American Tower 665'
« Reply #166 on: July 27, 2008, 09:08:16 AM »
Strong design of Uptown project bodes well for Cleveland's future

Steven Litt
Sunday, July 27, 2008

The public is invited to a community briefing and feedback session on the Uptown development from 7 to 9 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 26, at the Cleveland Botanical Garden, 11030 East Blvd.

http://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/plaindealer/steven_litt/index.ssf?/base/entertainment-0/1217061257229130.xml&coll=2
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 01:25:39 PM by CornerCurve »

Online MayDay

• Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Cleveland Skyscrapers
« Reply #167 on: July 27, 2008, 09:33:04 AM »
"For Cleveland, a city coping with crime, poverty, a shrinking population and a mortgage meltdown in many neighborhoods, the new designs offer a solid indication that the future might be very different."

That's right folks, he hasn't done his job until he's brought up bludgeoned that fact into us for the 5,396,558th time!!!  :roll:
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 09:59:21 AM by MayDay »

Online KJP

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
« Reply #168 on: July 27, 2008, 11:20:49 AM »
No wonder those words roll off the average Clevelanders' tongue without questioning if they are even accurate.
America will never be destroyed from the outside. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Offline badge

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #169 on: July 27, 2008, 09:23:00 PM »
Well of course Nathan Zaremba could just as easily rattle off Poggenpohl, B&B Italia, and Cassina but here's the reaction he'd get from 90% (or more) of Clevelanders:

:wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

Yeah, only a few people in all of Cleveland are educated and well read enough to know anything about design outside of Value City and IKEA. Additionally, it certainly is difficult to Google these things and learn about them in a matter of minutes.

Offline LovesIt

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #170 on: July 28, 2008, 10:41:03 AM »
^Hey ain't notin wrong with Value City Furniture!

Offline jpop

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #171 on: July 28, 2008, 12:18:18 PM »
^Hey ain't notin wrong with Value City Furniture!

Yes, there is. :(

Offline bizbiz

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #172 on: July 28, 2008, 03:37:02 PM »
I second that!

Offline X

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Western Reserve Meadery
« Reply #173 on: July 28, 2008, 03:55:57 PM »
"Saitowitz's five-story apartment building, to be located across the street, on the south side of Euclid Avenue, is conceived as a sleek, elegant object with smooth facades of pre-cast concrete. It too will have irregular window patterns marking the variety of the apartments within. And it will have large rectangular areas hollowed out to create indoor-outdoor areas for recreation and lounging."

Ughhh, this sounds even worse than it looks in the renderings so far.  Funny, when the architects were announced, I was excited to see what Saitowitz would come up with after looking at their portfolio, and unhappy with what I saw from Office dA's.  I feel the opposite about what we're getting here.

Offline bizbiz

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #174 on: July 28, 2008, 04:06:19 PM »
I remember Peter Lewis gave a talk a few years ago and chastised Case - well, actually the whole community - for not properly developing the area.  If this plan comes together (isn't there going to be an official announcement today?), then maybe he'll give some $$$ to the area like many thought he would.

Bottom line is, he built a headquarters in 5 different spots all along I-271 which did absolutely nothing for Cleveland. And as for his amazing collection of artwork on display, it's too bad it's in a hardly unique office building in a hardly unique area that is very hard to find. If he truly cared for Cleveland, he'd do something more than criticize. The default line for most of us Urban Ohioer's: If only I was a billionaire..

Offline clvlndr

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #175 on: July 28, 2008, 09:51:56 PM »
^I agree.  Progressive's huge "campus" would look awfully nice in a tower downtown.  We've all heard about Pete's split w/ Mike White, but that's not an excuse enough... If Peter B. wanted Prog downtown, ... I guess,  in additoning to lecturing/puting down then given a sh!tload to alma mater Princeton, Peter's "giving back" is buying the Indians' naming rights to the former Jake ... which conveniently promotes his Mayfield mega corp (btw, notice how Progressive's adds tout its 'home' Mayfield and say nothing about Cleveland/Greater Cleveland?)

... anyway enough about him.  The Marons and Zaremba, though much little-ler guys that Peter, are rolling the dice on projects that ARE helping the city build its density, livability, and attractiveness.  And perhaps MOST importantly, Uptown represents developers partnering on a great project and not bickering, which, unfortunately, is more the norm in this town... So let's promote these guys, and others like them, like Price, Corna, Wolstein, Stark (we hope) and others... and to hell w/ a uber-rich, do-nothing/drag-on-the-town whiners like PBL.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 09:56:55 PM by clvlndr »

Online MayDay

• Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • Cleveland Skyscrapers
« Reply #176 on: July 28, 2008, 09:59:23 PM »
"and to hell w/ a uber-rich, do-nothing whiners like PBL."

I disagree - that attitude is precisely how Rockefeller got chased out of town - and Cleveland is hardly a better city for that. And I'm not sure what part of "the decision to not build a HQ tower in downtown Cleveland was a business decision by Progressive's Board of Directors when Al Lerner was chairman." you people refuse to believe. That said, Peter B. Lewis' contributions to Greater Cleveland:

$24 million to the Weatherhead School of Management of Case Western Reserve University for the new Lewis Campus, to be designed by Frank Gehry.

$3 million to Oberlin College for the design and construction of "an environmentally perfect building" for the Adam Joseph Lewis Center for Environmental Studies (Lewis family gift).

$1 million contribution to the Hopewell Inn, a non-profit institution in Cleveland, Ohio, that helps return mentally challenged people to independent living.

$100,000 to the Cleveland Institute of Art for acquisition of a Philip Johnson sculpture.

$750,000 matching challenge grant to WCPN, Cleveland Public Radio, to implement a new strategic plan and improve local news programming.

$1 million to the Cleveland State University basketball program.

Major support of the Cleveland Center for Contemporary Art for many years.

Not that this thread should go further off-topic, but I'm going to guess that none of us have made those kinds of contributions to ANY Cleveland institution.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 10:05:35 PM by MayDay »

Offline clvlndr

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #177 on: July 28, 2008, 10:30:23 PM »
"you people"... er, thanks Ross... but your point being?

^Believe me, if I had the cash, I would.  None of us here does, so your comment’s a non sequitir .. My point remains the same... While, of course, there are a number of things PBL has done, compared to what he could do, w/ all his $ billions (as in one of the richest people in America), what he has done, comparatively, is piddling; and whether or not the late Al Lerner and the board did, PBL has the power to undo.  You cannot convince me w/ his power, prestige, gravitas, what-have you, that he’s powerless to do so   ... And perhaps I'd be less vocal if it wasn't for the nasty lecturing he gave leaders (UCI, CWRU’s long-gone president Hundert, and others) a couple years ago – much of it true, but then, there’s an adage that goes: ‘Put your $ where you mouth is…”  And yet, these smaller developers are doing more concrete things in the city promoting the type of development/partnership PBL has constantly hectored Clevelanders about (in not doing). 
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 10:34:33 PM by clvlndr »

Offline punch

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #178 on: August 03, 2008, 02:35:17 PM »
Mayday, thanks again for being a voice of reason

Offline bizbiz

• Key Tower 947'
« Reply #179 on: August 04, 2008, 10:10:08 AM »
I agree with Clevlndr. Even though PBL has donated money for many things, he has actually done 2 things which hurt Cleveland instead of helping the city:

1. Progressive's headquarters is located on the edge of the county along I-271 in a wealthy little village. It's this kind of backwards thinking that hurts our great city. If the region's biggest employer and the ever-so-amazing-PBL are going to build a headquarters in the suburbs, then it makes it seem like an ethical/good idea/smart thing to do, to leave Cleveland and re-locate to suburbs, cuz if PBL did it, then damn, it must be the way to go.

2. The way PBL has dissed University Circle is like bad publicity for our shining cultural center. Instead of saying, "I'm a super billionaire, and I will take the lead and show you how it's done!" he instead said, "You guys suck, I'm not helping!" Again - backwards thinking. He has a great collection of art that is apparently world renowned and it's hiding in Mayfield Village off of Alpha Beta drive inside of one of the 50 glass buildings he built. Even I, the local art enthusiast has yet to see or find these works, and at that rate, what does that say about the region? If a local art enthusiast can't see or find 'em, who can? Too bad they're hidden away, because it'd be another nice draw to the area, even if it's gotta be in Mayfield Village. What effect would UC have had if these works were more accessible in say, a real culturally rich area (e.g. University Circle). And no, I wouldn't compare PBL to Rockefeller - after all, PBL will probably want to be buried in a cemetery in Willoughby Hills because Lakeview Cemtery is hardly unique.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 10:16:37 AM by bizbiz »