Author Topic: Cincinnati: Over-the-Rhine: Development and News (non-3CDC)  (Read 125073 times)

SleepyLeroy, subocincy and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: Cincinnati: Over-the-Rhine: Development and News (non-3CDC)
« Reply #5550 on: July 30, 2018, 04:31:22 PM »
It's not unrealistic at this point to expect a wildly transformed area, including renovation of the Jackson Brewery, by 2025.  My one personal request would be for a stairway connection between W. Clifton at the bend (Zier Pl.) and Renner St. 

Also, if we had been applying for Tiger grants, we could have gotten a streetcar extension up McMicken St. to Mohawk Corner built for free by this point.   

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5551 on: July 30, 2018, 06:14:57 PM »
Interestingly, a vacant lot is still on the market on Renner:
https://www.sibcycline.com/Listing/CIN/1496075/241-Renner-St-Cincinnati-OH-45214

Here is the location:
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1206424,-84.5219912,3a,60y,222.83h,87.55t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s7xLj_1Uqae8DtE3DrSrL1w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I was in the house to the right with the red door about four years ago.  Around 2005-06 somebody started renovating it and ran out of money...a leak formed where they build a balcony in the attic and caused the kitchen to partially fall into the basement .

Offline troeros

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #5552 on: July 31, 2018, 09:14:06 AM »
This makes a lot of sense for rhinegeist. Iím not really familiar with the craft brewery scene, but Iím not sure how many of the large capicity craft breweries and actually located dead center in the urban core.

The more people they can fill around rhinegeist the more they can grow and expose there brand.

Offline Cincy513

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #5553 on: July 31, 2018, 09:54:07 AM »
Rhinegeist is growing at a crazy rate even with no one living around their brewery/the area not being very nice.  I think they just saw this as an opportunity to make some money with the benefit of also making the area around their brewery nicer.  Someone was inevitably going to profit off that area so I'm sure Rhinegesit figured might as well be them. 

Offline oudd

• Global Moderator
  • Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #5554 on: July 31, 2018, 10:25:09 AM »
Agree about more steps down to the Mohwak area. It would also be great if the city reconnected Renner St back to Byron and even that little stub of Klotter east of Ravine. You can see the outline of the street on maps, but in reality it's fenced off and totally overgrown. It would make Renner and Mohawk in general less isolated. There's also an alleway between Renner and Mohawk that's completely overgown.

Last time I was on Renner I also noticed some crumbling stairs on the north side near where that lot is for sale. Not sure if those were public stairs going up the hill or just the remnants of a house that used to sit there.

Offline oudd

• Global Moderator
  • Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #5555 on: July 31, 2018, 10:36:01 AM »
You can see on this zoomed in overhead how Renner St used to connect to other streets. Also looks like thee were stairs going up to Klotter towards the western end of the street.

There also appears to have been buildings fronting the alley between Renner and Mohwak.

Offline jwulsin

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5556 on: July 31, 2018, 10:46:35 AM »
^Great photo! Do you have the original high-res version somewhere?

You can also see that there were steps connecting Clifton Ave down to McMicken, right where Elm St terminates into McMicken.

Offline CincyMan

• Metropolitan Tower 224'
« Reply #5557 on: July 31, 2018, 10:49:20 AM »
There also appears to have been buildings fronting the alley between Renner and Mohwak.

Yep. My Grandfather grew up on Mohawk on the 30's, and his grandfather lived in the "rear" house which faced the alley.

Love that picture by the way; never seen it before. I really wish that massive staircase between McMicken and Clifton (just to the right of the Metal Blast building) was still there. The bottom 6 feet is still visible on McMicken, but that's about it.

Offline Ram23

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5558 on: July 31, 2018, 11:07:29 AM »
You can see on this zoomed in overhead how Renner St used to connect to other streets. Also looks like thee were stairs going up to Klotter towards the western end of the street.

A house has since been built on Klotter where those steps (Manchester Ave) connected, however a house was torn down long ago directly south of where Stratford terminates at Klotter, so new steps could be build connecting Stratford down to Renner.

The steps from Klotter to Ravine were removed not all that long ago - I believe it was in the 90s, after a crime spree during which suspects frequently fled down them after robbing cars and homes on Klotter.

Offline oudd

• Global Moderator
  • Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #5559 on: July 31, 2018, 11:12:07 AM »
I posted the uncropped monster photo over in the histroical photos thread: https://www.urbanohio.com/forum/index.php/topic,105.msg928837.html#msg928837

Offline 1400 Sycamore

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #5560 on: July 31, 2018, 11:26:47 AM »
Thanks for that photo. Pre-landslide.

I think there will be a plan for the Jackson Brewery but it is not connected to the Franz Fund activities and it will not happen for a while yet. Things are stable there with the new roof and the ownership issues resolved. Be patient, the Brewery is in good hands. In the meantime, if someone wants to put an incline up W. Clifton to UC, that would be splendid.

Offline jwulsin

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5561 on: August 01, 2018, 04:12:20 PM »
While we're talking about the Mohawk area, I just realized that the City put out for RFP the two buildings at 254 Mohawk. The City spent $119k in 2017 to stabilize the buildings.

That RFP has already closed: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fgd3lses85uwl22/RFP615CEDMOHAWK.pdf?dl=0

There are a few other RFPs for city-owned property that are still open:
1735 Vine (full building): https://www.dropbox.com/s/f44x4a4q6ekyv2o/RFP626CEDVINE.pdf?dl=0
120 Elder (upper floors above Silverglade's at Findlay Market): https://www.dropbox.com/s/c5upgna31o5fujx/RFP627CEDELDER.pdf?dl=0

Offline jwulsin

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5562 on: August 03, 2018, 09:50:44 AM »
Businesses come and go, and I imagine operating a bakery is extremely hard work with low margins, but I'm still sad to see Shadeau Breads close:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2018/08/02/longtime-over-the-rhine-bakery-closes.html

Offline ucgrady

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #5563 on: August 03, 2018, 01:54:32 PM »
With Allez and Brown Bear Bakeries a block away there was a lot of competition as well, but it is sad to see unique places go away.

Main Street is doing great right now though, with the Main Street bumpouts, the opening of Alladins, Platform brewery, and the giant new Pins space. Along with the Woodward's new marquee and all the other recently owned bars/restaraunts, Main Street is finally about to take back the crown from Vine as the  best street in OTR. (Personally I've always liked it more, but it's always been a bit more off the beaten path compared to the more mainstream Vine street)

Offline IAGuy39

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #5564 on: August 03, 2018, 02:04:56 PM »
Main Street is where you see the culture of the city of Cincinnati, Vine Street is more of the uppity crowd but not quite the culture of Main.

A while back my brother was in town and we went to Main Street from like 8pm to 1 am and he kept going on how awesome it was. We went to Vine Street before and it wasn't like that.

Offline brian korte

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #5565 on: August 03, 2018, 02:55:50 PM »
Shadeau didn't die because of competition. It died because of the arrogance and incompetence of the new owner, sadly.

Offline 1400 Sycamore

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #5566 on: August 03, 2018, 05:10:05 PM »
I personally pled with the new owner to learn the process from Bill before he left. It is a craft not for the untrained.

Offline troeros

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #5567 on: August 03, 2018, 05:43:34 PM »
Appears that a new Philly Cheese Steak concept is opening on 13th St near Brown Bear Bakey. It will be called 13tb St Alley: A taste of philly...it will stay open late and have a carry out window.

Offline ColDayMan

• ♫ An Apollo Legend ♫
  • Administrator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #5568 on: August 04, 2018, 04:19:06 PM »
Rare single-family homes coming to Main Street in OTR

A Cincinnati developer is close to completing three single-family homes in the 1400 block of Main Street in Over-the-Rhine.

8K Development expects to finish the last of the three homes within the next 60 days. The first, 1430, is on the market now for $540,000.

ďThereís not a lot of Main Street single-family homes with frontage,Ē said Michael Chewning, a principal with 8K.

More below:
https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2018/08/03/rare-single-family-homes-coming-to-main-street-in.html
"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Offline troeros

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #5569 on: August 06, 2018, 12:33:06 PM »

A Taste of Philly will open on 13th St, right next to Brown Bear Bakery. Will stay open until 3am.

I met the owner, he seemed like a really nice guy and offered me a free cheese steak!

As I've expressed before, I definitely think OTR needs more late night food options as the OTR continues to blossom with it's night life. I'm happy that we are slowly seeing these small hole in the wall options pop up, and I'm happy it's something different than the typical, pizza/taco/hot dog option that you would already typically find in otr.

I'm still holding my breath for when someone from Urban Ohio forum (who has the money to do so lol) will open up a Chili parlor down in OTR. It doesn't even have to be that good, just have it be cincinnati chili style with 3 ways, chili fries, and conies and that's all you would need to satisfy drunk patrons at 3am.

Offline jwulsin

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5570 on: August 08, 2018, 03:31:22 PM »
Good news for Main Street. A diversity of tenants (which right now means more office) will help make Main St businesses more successful:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2018/08/08/exclusive-recently-acquired-startup-moving-hq-to.html

Offline Cincy513

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #5571 on: August 08, 2018, 03:42:43 PM »
Main St has really crushed it in the last year. 

Offline troeros

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #5572 on: August 08, 2018, 04:38:33 PM »
The 360 from last year to this year on Main Street is incredible. The street went from sort of dead and sketchy at times, to a street thatís comparable to the bustle of vine.

I believe there has been more than 8 new businesses open this year on main.

Offline thomasbw

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5573 on: August 08, 2018, 04:56:47 PM »
The 360 from last year to this year on Main Street is incredible. The street went from sort of dead and sketchy at times, to a street thatís comparable to the bustle of vine.

I believe there has been more than 8 new businesses open this year on main.

If it was a 360 it would be pointing the exactly the same direction

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5574 on: August 08, 2018, 05:27:59 PM »
^When you come to a fork in the road, take it. 

Offline troeros

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #5575 on: August 12, 2018, 02:18:52 PM »
Any updates on Elm and Liberty?

Drove by this morning and still looks like no movement has made on the site. I was under the impression that fortus had all the financing in place so Iím not sure why the promised summer start date is being prolonged...

Offline jim uber

• Great American Tower 665'
« Reply #5576 on: August 12, 2018, 07:47:17 PM »
The only recent activity on site has been mowing and related grounds maintenance. That doesnít seem to be something youíd spend time doing if you were going to start site prep for construction. 

Offline troeros

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #5577 on: August 12, 2018, 07:56:12 PM »
Weird....I know fortus has applied for demolition permits for the old boys and girls club on Logan st...maybe that has something to do with the delay?

Offline jwulsin

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5578 on: August 13, 2018, 09:20:30 AM »
Model Group is nearing completion of a bunch of buildings around Findlay Market. Here are a couple photos from over the weekend.

Northeast corner of Race/Findlay:

Northwest corner of Elder and Goose Alley:

Offline IAGuy39

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #5579 on: August 13, 2018, 10:14:54 AM »
^Awesome stuff. I wonder if Model is looking to add more buildings to their portfolio around Findlay or if they still have some buildings in the pipeline ready for construction. They had so many buildings and also I believe it was a total of 3 phases for Market Square (I think that is what it is called) and so I am lost as far as where they are at with everything.

The area around Findlay Market is really changing rapidly and hopefully the Fortus development that Troy just mentioned gets moving soon as well. Also, maybe someone can tweet at Jason Williams as I heard him on 700 this weekend talking about the streetcar article and him saying "I haven't seen any proof that the streetcar has helped with any development"

When in fact I believe Model said the reason they were investing so much around Findlay was becasue of the streetcar and they wouldn't have done so without. Same with the Streitmann building and many others.