Author Topic: Cincinnati: Over-the-Rhine: Development and News (non-3CDC)  (Read 107615 times)

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: Cincinnati: Over-the-Rhine: Development and News (non-3CDC)
« Reply #5490 on: July 13, 2018, 02:46:59 PM »
When people complain about not having enough parking, they are really complaining about how there is not enough "free" on-street parking. People in the midwest will cruise for the free parking before accepting the meter or the garage.

It would be great if the city instituted variable parking pricing like in San Francisco. Set the current rate as a maximum. I bet it would increase on-street parking usage and encourage more off-peak parking usage.

It's extremely frustrating because I believe our current meters and kiosks can support this type of variable pricing, and it would have been implemented if the Xerox partnership would have went through. After that was cancelled, we still got higher meter rates, we just didn't get the variable pricing which would have been ideal for OTR and Downtown.

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5491 on: July 13, 2018, 03:28:22 PM »
Well wasnít expecting this:

Cincinnati plan would allow new housing, businesses in OTR without new parking

https://cin.ci/2zuTUCT

Gonna need all urbanist hands on deck to support this one.

Big picture thought on parking minimums: how absurd (and how much hubris is it) is it that we think itís possible to micromanage the parking spaces of thousands of residents, visitors, and downtown workers, with dynamic needs that change over time, that together function as an organic, non-linear system, anyway? No wonder minimums cause market distortions and prevent growth. They are ham-fisted interventionalism.

City Council actually first introduced this change in 2012, but the city administration is just now getting around to implementing it, because Cranley.

Also, I wouldn't quite call it a "done deal" yet. There's some possibility that neighborhood NIMBYs will object and this change won't go through.

If you support the elimination of minimum parking requirements in OTR, you should probably send an email to the address on this postcard.

Yup.

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5492 on: July 13, 2018, 03:39:38 PM »
When I lived in Cambridge, MA, which has virtually zero off-street parking as most buildings are pre-automobile and built to the rear lot line, each apartment unit, regardless of its bedroom count, received one street parking pass and one visitor pass.  The two types of cars were chalked each day and every visitor pass car had to move every single day or else it got a $75 ticket.  A "resident" pass had to move every other day or else they got a $75 ticket.  The meter maids had a complex chalking system that made it hard to foil by buying your own chalk and mark your own tire. 

In addition to having to move your car pretty much every day, there was weekly street cleaning depending on what "zone" you were in.  There were five zones, so 5 days a week a team of tow trucks fired up at 7am and towed dozens of cars to who-know-where.   

So the goal of all of this wasn't to clean the streets, it was to give the city a way to make owning a car a huge pain in the ass and therefore encourage walking, bicycling, and public transportation.  It's worth mentioning that the city has a fantastic subway line that has been there since 1912, and that John Cranley is undoubtedly familiar with it since his parents paid for him to got to Harvard. 

Offline troeros

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #5493 on: July 13, 2018, 05:31:26 PM »

Offline Pdrome513

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #5494 on: Yesterday at 02:19:16 PM »
Fortus has applied for a wrecking permit for the Boys and Girls Club building on Logan Street. They purchased it last year after they joined in on Freeport Row.

https://cagis.hamilton-co.org/opal/apd.aspx?QSPerm=2018P06275

Offline SleepyLeroy

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #5495 on: Yesterday at 02:55:31 PM »
Fortus has applied for a wrecking permit for the Boys and Girls Club building on Logan Street. They purchased it last year after they joined in on Freeport Row.

A perfect place for a larger than normal (for OTR) development and anything will greatly improve the streetlife in that area. They certainly won the FCC location lottery on this property.

Offline jwulsin

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5496 on: Yesterday at 02:58:45 PM »

Good news! Has anything been released about Fortus's plans for that site?

Offline jim uber

• Great American Tower 665'
« Reply #5497 on: Yesterday at 03:42:40 PM »
^ +Has anyone heard anything about Fortus's plans for Freeport row? Last I heard they were supposed to start this summer but... nothing yet.

Offline troeros

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #5498 on: Yesterday at 03:58:02 PM »
Iím wondering about that as well...curious if they are planning to change there plans for that site at all? Or maybe, since the liberty street diet is finalized to occur next year, they would want to wait for that?

The lack of movement on that site is curious none the less...

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5499 on: Yesterday at 04:23:23 PM »
The Liberty Street road diet won't modify the north side of the street, so there is no real reason for that development to wait for it.

Offline JYP

• Global Moderator
  • Burj Khalifa 2,722'
    • Urban Cincy
« Reply #5500 on: Yesterday at 05:17:20 PM »
Last I heard it was still moving forward. This could be a potential Phase II.
ďAll truly great thoughts are conceived while walking.Ē
-Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline troeros

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #5501 on: Yesterday at 05:34:28 PM »
What are the chances they actually do ground floor retail and apartment units about (for the boys and girls club property)...

I know Logan st is mostly residential and the streets are small, but I love the feel of bars and restaurants when they are on narrow streets. Something very European I guess.

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5502 on: Yesterday at 08:25:24 PM »
What are the chances

I would guess about 95% odds.

Offline thebillshark

• One World Trade Center 1,776'
« Reply #5503 on: Today at 05:45:01 AM »
I think a good project at that site would have street facing entrances on both the Logan St. and Central Parkway sides.