Author Topic: Cincinnati: Over-the-Rhine: Development and News (non-3CDC)  (Read 125080 times)

SleepyLeroy, subocincy and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline troeros

• Kettering Tower 408'
Re: Cincinnati: Over-the-Rhine: Development and News (non-3CDC)
« Reply #5340 on: June 13, 2018, 05:01:58 PM »
Filson, Shinola, Frye, and maybe Anthropologie are the only national retail chains I can think of that would be viable for OTR, without making the area feel too generic. Anything like Apple or Zara would be better in the CBD, which clearly isn't happening anytime soon, unfortunately.

Why wouldn't an Apple Store work in OTR? There's enough foot traffic (and soon way more business employees, because of the new 3cdc offices) in otr to have an apple store be successful.

Offline troeros

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #5341 on: June 14, 2018, 02:02:46 PM »
Good stuff in the latest hcb packet

Of note:

-3 unit rehab conversion on republic

-1411 elm st getting rehab

-Platform brewing co. Adding new edinson bulb vertical sign for there new brewery on main.

Offline DEPACincy

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #5342 on: June 14, 2018, 03:43:41 PM »
Filson, Shinola, Frye, and maybe Anthropologie are the only national retail chains I can think of that would be viable for OTR, without making the area feel too generic. Anything like Apple or Zara would be better in the CBD, which clearly isn't happening anytime soon, unfortunately.

Why wouldn't an Apple Store work in OTR? There's enough foot traffic (and soon way more business employees, because of the new 3cdc offices) in otr to have an apple store be successful.

If it works for Pittsburgh in Shadyside, I don't see why it wouldn't work in OTR...

Offline troeros

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #5343 on: June 14, 2018, 04:56:43 PM »
Maybe Iím crazy but I feel like the former lacheys spot would be perfect for an apple store...the square footage seems to be enough inside.

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5344 on: June 14, 2018, 05:02:52 PM »
Maybe I’m crazy but I feel like the former lacheys spot would be perfect for an apple store...the square footage seems to be enough inside.

Could the pedal wagon still drive in?

Offline troeros

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #5345 on: June 15, 2018, 01:10:21 AM »
I don't know much about the Shadyside neighborhood ^^^, but I feel like that could be a perfect model for future luxury retail in OTR...

I noticed they have an Apple Store, GAP, Banana Republic, Rolex, J.Crew, all within 1-2 blocks from each other...and this doesn't appear to be near Pittsburgh CBD at all, but rather a small historic district on the outskirts of downtown Pitsburgh. Most of the dining options seem local on street view, but all of the retail are known luxury brands for the most part. This model would be perfect for OTR.

Most people enjoy unique dining options, and eating local...but retail is different. People like brands that they are comfortable with, and that they know. Thats why you rarely see more than 2-3 people at a time in those weird junk stores on main street that sell knick knacks that almost no one ever buys.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 01:14:15 AM by troeros »

Online taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5346 on: June 15, 2018, 01:39:45 AM »
Shadyside is an area that serves both Carnegie Mellon students and Pittsburgh in general. This concept is common in many US cities, but does not seem to exist in Cincinnati, for whatever reason. Here, we seem to segregate "student areas" (surrounding UC's campus) where students live and hang out, from the rest of the city. Students might hang out in area like OTR on the weekends, but they definitely aren't visiting OTR to shop regularly, and they definitely aren't living in OTR and commuting up the hill to campus on a daily basis. (A few students might, but not in large numbers.)

Offline Ucgrad2015

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #5347 on: June 15, 2018, 08:09:49 AM »
I remember when I went to UC they had a shuttle that went to newport on the levee but am not sure if it stopped in OTR. Do they have any shuttles that do go to OTR? That would prolly help with bringing more students down. I feel like the hill between OTR and UC creates a separation between the two areas.

Offline ryanlammi

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5348 on: June 15, 2018, 09:25:01 AM »
Until at least 2013 the bus went to Mt. Adams, Newport, Downtown, OTR, and UC.

It probably still does, but I haven't looked at it in a long time. It used to stop around 12th and Vine. Not sure if that's changed. I think Uber and Lyft make that bus less important than it was when I was in college. Back then you either had a DD, you took a taxi (if they would show up), or you just stayed around UC. I think the student population is much more mobile than it used to be.

Offline Robuu

• Premium Member
  • Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #5349 on: June 15, 2018, 09:41:41 AM »
Shadyside is an area that serves both Carnegie Mellon students and Pittsburgh in general. This concept is common in many US cities, but does not seem to exist in Cincinnati, for whatever reason. Here, we seem to segregate "student areas" (surrounding UC's campus) where students live and hang out, from the rest of the city. Students might hang out in area like OTR on the weekends, but they definitely aren't visiting OTR to shop regularly, and they definitely aren't living in OTR and commuting up the hill to campus on a daily basis. (A few students might, but not in large numbers.)

Ludlow and Short Vine are a mix of students and non-students.

Offline DEPACincy

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #5350 on: June 15, 2018, 10:23:53 AM »
Until at least 2013 the bus went to Mt. Adams, Newport, Downtown, OTR, and UC.

It probably still does, but I haven't looked at it in a long time. It used to stop around 12th and Vine. Not sure if that's changed. I think Uber and Lyft make that bus less important than it was when I was in college. Back then you either had a DD, you took a taxi (if they would show up), or you just stayed around UC. I think the student population is much more mobile than it used to be.

Yea, I think UC students are moving around more than in the past, and it's directly attributable to Uber/Lyft. I live downtown and have several grad students in my building, not sure about undergrads though. But I've spent a decent amount of time in Shadyside and it has a very similar vibe to OTR. I don't see why those retailers wouldn't want to locate in OTR.

Offline The_Cincinnati_Kid

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5351 on: June 15, 2018, 03:01:14 PM »
JTM co-owner helps to bring brewery/distillery to Over-the-Rhine
By Tom Demeropolis  Ė Senior Staff Reporter, Cincinnati Business Courier
Jun 15, 2018, 12:48pm EDT Updated 2 hours ago

An Over-the-Rhine brewery and distillery that has been in the works for at least two years is getting closer to opening with a little help from a co-owner of one of Cincinnatiís largest private food companies.

Joe Maas, a co-owner and president of JTM Food Group, has partnered with Dave Berger to open Northern Row Brewery and Distillery. My colleague, Andy Brownfield, reported on initial plans in June 2016.

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2018/06/15/jtm-co-owner-helps-to-bring-brewery-distillery-to.html

Offline 1400 Sycamore

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #5352 on: June 15, 2018, 03:11:20 PM »
Anyone who has not seen the inside of the Apex Building (Northern Row Distillery) is in for a real treat. When they open it up you will see beams cast with "Carnegie Steel 1888" right on them and hard Oak factory floors that had 120 years of workers boots polishing them, side by side with gleaming stainless, glass and PVC still plumbing.

Offline ucgrady

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #5353 on: June 15, 2018, 04:04:17 PM »
This building is massive, does anyone know if they will occupy the whole thing? While sitting on Rhinegeist's rooftop I've often thought of how amazing the roof on the Apex building would be as it's basically the tallest building in all of Northern OTR. Since the northern portion of the building is 1 story above the main roof they could conceivable put the bar, restrooms, elevator, stairs etc. in that portion and open up the entire main roof with the view to the south, overlooking all of OTR and downtown.

Offline 1400 Sycamore

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #5354 on: June 15, 2018, 05:02:03 PM »
The distillery and tap room will occupy the first floor. The rest of the building will eventually be one of the real jewels of OTR.

I would also comment that the Blast Building aka Jackson Brewery, is the best view in all of OTR.

Offline jwulsin

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5355 on: June 15, 2018, 05:14:31 PM »
The rest of the building will eventually be one of the real jewels of OTR.

With as much space as the Apex building has, it has the potential to be truly a defining landmark of the neighborhood, the way Rhinegeist is. It will come down to how they design and fill those upper floors. Glad to hear you call it "one of the real jewels"... it certainly has potential!

Offline troeros

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #5356 on: June 15, 2018, 06:58:16 PM »
I think the only divide that separates Clifton and OTR is the fact that north of liberty is quite sketchy to walk across, especially at night.

There is no doubt in my mind that if North is liberty was redeveloped you would see more college students and pedestrians walking up and down the hill...itís not a bad walk either, itís just that walking through north of liberty to get to the redeveloped stretches of otr is not the most appealing thought in the world.

Offline 1400 Sycamore

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #5357 on: June 15, 2018, 07:31:10 PM »
It will be a long time for the Jackson Brewery to come on line, but there are steps in the Elm St. right of way that go up the hill. An incline up to Clifton might eventually access the Jackson and link Clifton and OTR. And, as I am sure most of you know, there are endless lagering tunnels starting at Liberty and drilling deep into the hillside, and under and contained within the Jackson.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 07:47:20 PM by 1400 Sycamore »

Offline troeros

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #5358 on: June 15, 2018, 07:52:00 PM »
Why will Jackson brewery take a long time to be developed? Is there something special that the brewery requires? Aside from a big money investor?

Offline 1400 Sycamore

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #5359 on: June 15, 2018, 08:06:07 PM »
Its just not time yet. Be patient. There is a cycle to these things. The Apex and the Jackson will be developed responsibly.

Offline troeros

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #5360 on: June 15, 2018, 08:51:16 PM »
I wonder whatever happened to that rumor about the Rheingeist gondola/beer garden concept from last year...guess it was just a man made rumor?

Online SleepyLeroy

• One SeaGate 411'
« Reply #5361 on: June 15, 2018, 09:06:54 PM »
I wonder whatever happened to that rumor about the Rheingeist gondola/beer garden concept from last year...guess it was just a man made rumor?

More than a rumor, but im not sure how much more. Ive heard about it since the early 2000's but this site was set up (maybe for a UC project?) in 2016. http://www.uptowngondola.org/#home-section

Offline joshknut

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #5362 on: June 16, 2018, 01:37:50 PM »
I think the only divide that separates Clifton and OTR is the fact that north of liberty is quite sketchy to walk across, especially at night.

There is no doubt in my mind that if North is liberty was redeveloped you would see more college students and pedestrians walking up and down the hill...itís not a bad walk either, itís just that walking through north of liberty to get to the redeveloped stretches of otr is not the most appealing thought in the world.

I walk from Nippert to my apartment on 4th and Race all the time at night after FCC games. It's really not bad. Yes, there's more trash and poverty but that doesn't mean it's unsafe. There are more isolated incidents of crime north of liberty but those are typically more gang/drug related. Usually the families hanging outside of their buildings on the Vine street hill ask what the score was as I walk by.

Offline thomasbw

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5363 on: June 16, 2018, 09:12:05 PM »

I would guess that 40-60% of Americans realistically can't and 90% of Americans won't walk up the hill

Offline troeros

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #5364 on: June 16, 2018, 10:28:55 PM »
Will we ever see another MetroMoves vote on the ballot again? I can say without a shadow of a doubt we will never be the city that we have the potential of being until we have legitimate high speed rail across cincy 52 neighborhoods and the suburbs.

Offline jjakucyk

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5365 on: June 16, 2018, 10:38:28 PM »
Well, even the city's historical streetcar system didn't cover every neighborhood, and it certainly wasn't what we'd call high-speed.  Add in the interurbans and a couple of commuter railroads and some of the suburbs had at least ok transit options, but not much more.  MetroMoves would've certainly been a big step forward, but still not "high-speed rail across all 52 neighborhoods." 

Maybe with gas prices nudging up a bit there could be a little bit more interest, but I wouldn't expect to see much happen with people like Trump, Kasich, and Cranley in power.  Drill baby drill, screw the environment, etc. 
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 07:58:35 AM by JYP »

Offline 1400 Sycamore

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #5366 on: June 17, 2018, 07:48:00 AM »
Will we ever see another MetroMoves vote on the ballot again? I can say without a shadow of a doubt we will never be the city that we have the potential of being until we have legitimate high speed rail across cincy 52 neighborhoods and the suburbs.

Yes, I see it now. 200mph up W. 8th St. 

Offline troeros

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #5367 on: June 17, 2018, 07:16:52 PM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/cincinnati/comments/8rrofl/cobblestone_bar_12th_race/?st=JIJG3Y81&sh=8cd69964

New bar on 12th and Race called Cobblestone bar...opening soon. Fb/IG page set up but no info about owner or opening date yet.

Offline ajknee

• ProkNo5
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5368 on: June 17, 2018, 10:26:08 PM »

I would guess that 40-60% of Americans realistically can't and 90% of Americans won't walk up the hill

I still maintain that the view from Bellevue Hill Park is better than from the chalet on Mont Royal in Montreal, and yet hundreds of people make that hike daily. All it takes is a little promotion and wayfinding, and I think that hike could be a real tourist draw.

Offline bfwissel

• Premium Member
  • Key Tower 947'
« Reply #5369 on: June 18, 2018, 08:14:41 AM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/cincinnati/comments/8rrofl/cobblestone_bar_12th_race/?st=JIJG3Y81&sh=8cd69964

New bar on 12th and Race called Cobblestone bar...opening soon. Fb/IG page set up but no info about owner or opening date yet.

I spoke with someone over the weekend that knows the guy who is opening it and he's certain that it's not going back to the bad old days of when it was a crack bar.  I guess they're having building issues which is why it's being delayed a few weeks.  That's not too surprising as the owners of the building are the same ones that actually ran the crack bar and have been cited over and over again for building violations.  I just hope the guy(s) running the bar know how much a piece of !$@#% the owner of the building is and have put protections in their lease.
"Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago." - Warren Buffett