Author Topic: Cincinnati: Over-the-Rhine: Development and News (non-3CDC)  (Read 121012 times)

jakelley36, Ucgrad2015 and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline jjakucyk

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
Re: Cincinnati: Over-the-Rhine: Development and News (non-3CDC)
« Reply #5400 on: June 24, 2018, 12:27:07 PM »
But is it worth it to open more hole-in-the-wall pizza parlors just to cater to a single night's rush?  That's the sort of mentality that gets us 20-lane highways and parking lots that are sized for Black Friday.  If these places aren't crowded on a regular basis then they won't survive to cater to those few big events.  I will grant that the bars and tap rooms seem like they always come in with the mentality of "we don't need to offer food" and quickly realize that they do.  So they scramble to get a food truck before eventually shoehorning in a kitchen.  "Just go to X down the street to get food" never seems to work all that well.   

Offline troeros

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #5401 on: June 24, 2018, 12:31:40 PM »
Bigger cities make it work.

Otr can get to the point where main st on the weekends is like that every night even on the week day.

We just need more residents in the urban core. Way to many tourists and the smaller places die on the week days.

Offline 1400 Sycamore

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #5402 on: June 24, 2018, 04:44:37 PM »
^^^ Is exactly why we fought so hard against the plan for SCPA to be transitioned to a hotel. Its just a big bar with a couple hundred strangers coming in for an event, and about half of that number showing up for shift work, and gone until the next one.

Instead, 142 tenants with dogs and kids and the need for everything a family needs are located at 1310 Sycamore building the Pendleton Community. Now, the new bars and restaurants will cater to residents and not so much to visitors.

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5403 on: June 24, 2018, 05:02:13 PM »
1. The fact that Below Zero is the only gay club in the urban core is a tragedy. We need way more gay clubs to meet the demand, especially since cincy has a seemingly high gay friendly population.

I kid you not, the line to get in below zero literally stretched past the Emery, on to Central Park Way. It took me about 2 hours to get inside at around 10pm last night.

Simply ridiculous.

Well, I do find it odd that Cincinnati's urban core doesn't have more gays bars. However I think calling it a "tragedy" and "ridiculous" is a bit over the top. I think if there was the demand for more gay bars in the urban core, they would exist. There are some gay bars in other Cincinnati neighborhoods besides Downtown & OTR. Maybe the LGBTQ population in Cincinnati prefers to hang out in ordinary bars and clubs as compared to other cities. Honestly I have no idea, I'm just speculating.

2. Once again late night food options in otr is such a struggle. Specifically on main st, goodfellas had a line that stretched a block, and had many a 1 hour wait line. For pizza...

Iím not in tune with economics of otr and what it costs to open a business but Jesus how hard must it be to open a few more hole in the wall pizza parlors? There are just way to many bars and clubs, and simply not enough quick food options.

Again, waiting for an hour to get a slice of pizza speaks volumes about the lack of supply versus the demand.

Honestly the long line at Goodfella's was probably due to the fact that there were many people downtown that don't typically come downtown, who had heard about some place called Goodfella's, and didn't have much of a desire to search out anything new or different. There's another pizza place a block away, Lucy Blue, and I bet they didn't also have a long line out the door. There's also Gomez, The Royal, MOTR, Nation, Che.... plenty of places within a one or two block walk serving food late on weekends. I think a bunch of people just wanted Goodfella's and were willing to wait despite the fact that there were other options nearby with shorter lines.

Offline jmicha

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5404 on: June 24, 2018, 07:22:59 PM »
The reason Cincinnati doesn't have as many gay bars is mostly because the Ohio gays go to Columbus, the Indiana gays go to Indy, and the Kentucky gays go to Louisville. That leaves Cincy in the middle being pulled in three directions. Dayton is more of an anomaly than a rule in my opinion. They have institutions that have managed to survive and draw a lot of Cincy gays up on weekends.

Beyond that though, there are two big factors. One is that OTR and to an extend Downtown are gay friendly. Moreso than a lot of places I've been. I never felt uncomfortable living in OTR going on dates or hanging out with guys I was seeing like I have in other locations. Acceptance does have some random unintended side effects (that are worth it) such as a lesser need for safe spaces. They'll always need to exist, but in a lot of places they're not quite as necessary anymore. A sign of progress.

The OTHER reason is that Cincinnati's gay bar politics are utterly absurd and dominated by a group of owners (the people that opened Diamond Palace and Club Glitter) and a stupid drag host "war" between Jessica Dimon and Penny Tration where they'd actively try to sabotage each other, called in phony complaints to the city, the health department, etc. and in the end nobody really benefited.  It was all dumb and the gay population in Cincy all knew it was going on and hated it but we had very few other options unless we left to go to another city. Which was common. I regularly took weekend trips to Columbus with my gay groups, to Louisville for a Saturday night, up to Masque and MJ's in Dayton for a night, etc.

Online Ucgrad2015

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #5405 on: June 24, 2018, 07:23:04 PM »
1. The fact that Below Zero is the only gay club in the urban core is a tragedy. We need way more gay clubs to meet the demand, especially since cincy has a seemingly high gay friendly population.

I kid you not, the line to get in below zero literally stretched past the Emery, on to Central Park Way. It took me about 2 hours to get inside at around 10pm last night.

Simply ridiculous.

Well, I do find it odd that Cincinnati's urban core doesn't have more gays bars. However I think calling it a "tragedy" and "ridiculous" is a bit over the top. I think if there was the demand for more gay bars in the urban core, they would exist. There are some gay bars in other Cincinnati neighborhoods besides Downtown & OTR. Maybe the LGBTQ population in Cincinnati prefers to hang out in ordinary bars and clubs as compared to other cities. Honestly I have no idea, I'm just speculating.

2. Once again late night food options in otr is such a struggle. Specifically on main st, goodfellas had a line that stretched a block, and had many a 1 hour wait line. For pizza...

Iím not in tune with economics of otr and what it costs to open a business but Jesus how hard must it be to open a few more hole in the wall pizza parlors? There are just way to many bars and clubs, and simply not enough quick food options.

Again, waiting for an hour to get a slice of pizza speaks volumes about the lack of supply versus the demand.

Honestly the long line at Goodfella's was probably due to the fact that there were many people downtown that don't typically come downtown, who had heard about some place called Goodfella's, and didn't have much of a desire to search out anything new or different. There's another pizza place a block away, Lucy Blue, and I bet they didn't also have a long line out the door. There's also Gomez, The Royal, MOTR, Nation, Che.... plenty of places within a one or two block walk serving food late on weekends. I think a bunch of people just wanted Goodfella's and were willing to wait despite the fact that there were other options nearby with shorter lines.

In my opinion you are correct about lgbt going to other bars and not just gay ones. As a gay guy myself I actually prefer to go to Regular bars. Many bars in Cincinnati are actually very gay friendly such as QCR which is hosting a tea party tonight and QCE which has gay dances once a month. I think if there was to be another gay bar that it would Work best in OTR/Pendleton. It may even work if it was a theme type bar such as coyote ugly themed ( I was in one in Hellís Kitchen NYC and it was pretty fun).

Offline troeros

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #5406 on: June 25, 2018, 09:47:19 AM »
Iím still surprised that diner location is still just sitting there vacant...

Itís literally wedged between the most popular club in downtown cincy in tree house and also wedged between another upscale bar with the rose dale.

Then just a block down you have a new craft brewery in 3 points.

You literally have a hoard of food trucks parked on the sycamore lots to serve food to the late night drunk crowd...

You would think that diner would be prime real estate, no?

Offline Cincy513

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #5407 on: June 25, 2018, 09:52:17 AM »
Food trucks park on the Sycamore lots?  Are they there regularly?  I don't think I've ever seen that, but I also don't really ever walk over that way to look.  I completely agree on the diner.  If someone competent ran the place (aka not the previous owner) I think it could make a killing for weekday lunch and weekend late night.  Maybe the current owner is just asking too much for the space. 

Offline 1400 Sycamore

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #5408 on: June 25, 2018, 11:24:43 AM »
The Diner could survive solely on a luch menu. But, they have never had a decent lunch for the thousands of potential customers they have. Who thought the fat ladies from HCJFS or the Courthouse would be eating a little "Kobe" Burger for $16? That was brilliant.

All they need is a burger, decent fries, a bowl of chili that is not some goofball vegan recipe and a big salad that the fat ladies can dump 2000 calories of dressing on.

Maybe 20 years ago you could get those things at the Diner. Not not since I've been here.

Offline troeros

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #5409 on: June 25, 2018, 11:36:23 AM »
Hell, make it a Chilli parlor, call it ďOTR ChilliĒ with basic options of Chilli fries, conies, 3 ways. Make it a limited, cost effective menu. Maybe throw in some designer milk shakes for sweets and call it a day.

Even if it isnít the, ďbestĒ, people will still go there because itís cincinnati style Chilli...plus people like eating Chilli when they are drunk in Cincinnati.

Thereís literally only 1 (I think) Chilli parlor in all of downtown in Skyline...which is weird to say the least...
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 11:38:50 AM by troeros »

Offline ryanlammi

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5410 on: June 25, 2018, 11:42:35 AM »
The Royal makes coneys and is open late night. It's directly across the street from Goodfellas, and never has a line. People are so uninterested in trying new things that they never try to go into the Royal.

Offline troeros

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #5411 on: June 25, 2018, 11:52:42 AM »
I think the Royal has started to close earlier. I was thinking of going there on Saturday night after below zero (around 1:30 ish) but it was completely dark inside. Iíve noticed this a couple times already....seems like business might not be doing so hot.

I would also argue itís less about Brand recognition, but the fact that the prices are overpriced. I stepped in thread once and saw the sign with 6 dollar burgers and I was out.

The dude that stands on the corner of the drinkery and sells hot dogs and coneys is making a killing every weekend night...he got my money instead.

Why? Because his prices are cheap. Drunk people typically want fast service and cheap smash and grab food.

Offline Robuu

• Premium Member
  • Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #5412 on: June 25, 2018, 11:53:54 AM »
troeros, both of these were mentioned by other people. But Lucy Blue is right near Goodfella's, serves pizza, and always has a smaller line. And Main Event is another gay bar downtown.

One-by-one, Grindr/the internet, as well as gay friendliness of other establishments, have killed the gay bar scene in Cincinnati. Oh, and ODOT killed The Dock. And 21C killed the Subway. There was also some club in Longworth Hall that had a popular gay night. Can't remember the name of it.

Shooters, On Broadway, Simon Says, Subway, the Dock, Below Zero, and Main Event were all simultaneously open just a few years ago. Also there was the Pink Pyramid shop (not a bar) which was closed down for selling poppers, IIRC.

Clifton lost Golden Lions (the first gay bar in the city), Northside lost Bullfish's, Bronz, the Serpent, maybe others(?).

There's just generally been a gay bar apocalypse in the city. I miss the days of Tuesday nights at Vertigo and Friday nights at Jacob's.

Offline troeros

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #5413 on: June 25, 2018, 11:58:38 AM »
troeros, both of these were mentioned by other people. But Lucy Blue is right near Goodfella's, serves pizza, and always has a smaller line. And Main Event is another gay bar downtown.

One-by-one, Grindr/the internet, as well as gay friendliness of other establishments, have killed the gay bar scene in Cincinnati. Oh, and ODOT killed The Dock. And 21C killed the Subway. There was also some club in Longworth Hall that had a popular gay night. Can't remember the name of it.

Shooters, On Broadway, Simon Says, Subway, the Dock, Below Zero, and Main Event were all simultaneously open just a few years ago. Also there was the Pink Pyramid shop (not a bar) which was closed down for selling poppers, IIRC.

Clifton lost Golden Lions (the first gay bar in the city), Northside lost Bullfish's, Bronz, the Serpent, maybe others(?).

There's just generally been a gay bar apocalypse in the city. I miss the days of Tuesday nights at Vertigo and Friday nights at Jacob's.

Thanks for the information! I only brought it up because of how crazy the line was for below zero...granted it was pride night, and a lot of tourists, but a lot of people just turned away because the line was so long.

As I was waiting, I heard a couple ask another man in line if there were any other gay clubs/drag shows they could go to instead. He responded no, this is it.

It was kind of sad, I guess to hear that response...

Offline ryanlammi

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5414 on: June 25, 2018, 12:03:28 PM »
I think the Royal has started to close earlier. I was thinking of going there on Saturday night after below zero (around 1:30 ish) but it was completely dark inside. Iíve noticed this a couple times already....seems like business might not be doing so hot.

I would also argue itís less about Brand recognition, but the fact that the prices are overpriced. I stepped in thread once and saw the sign with 6 dollar burgers and I was out.

The dude that stands on the corner of the drinkery and sells hot dogs and coneys is making a killing every weekend night...he got my money instead.

Why? Because his prices are cheap. Drunk people typically want fast service and cheap smash and grab food.

Just looked up The Royal, and apparently they stopped serving late night (probably because demand wasn't there). It's unfortunate that no one went there because their coneys were better than Goodfellas pizza. It was $7 for two coneys and a bag of chips. The coneys are much larger than a typical Skyline coney, so you don't really need any more after two coneys. And Goodfellas is not cheap, but has a line out the door. You're looking at something like $4 per slice if you get any toppings.

Offline DEPACincy

• Huntington Tower 330'
« Reply #5415 on: June 25, 2018, 12:04:08 PM »
Hell, make it a Chilli parlor, call it ďOTR ChilliĒ with basic options of Chilli fries, conies, 3 ways. Make it a limited, cost effective menu. Maybe throw in some designer milk shakes for sweets and call it a day.

Even if it isnít the, ďbestĒ, people will still go there because itís cincinnati style Chilli...plus people like eating Chilli when they are drunk in Cincinnati.

Thereís literally only 1 (I think) Chilli parlor in all of downtown in Skyline...which is weird to say the least...

Well there are actually three Skylines downtown but the hours suck on all of them. And places like Sports Page and The Squirrel serve Cincinnati chili too, but also have horrible hours.

Offline troeros

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #5416 on: June 25, 2018, 12:09:45 PM »
Goodfellas is a bit more expensive but the dough they use is so good, plus the single slices are so large that itís worth the 4 bucks.

Regarding, Chilli parlors...there used to be a gold star, skyline and blue ash Chilli right side by side to each other.

These suburbs just have to many nice amenities!

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5417 on: June 25, 2018, 12:16:36 PM »
I still think Lucy Blue's pizza is better than Goodfella's, but it doesn't have the novelty factor of being a DC "jumbo slice" size.

Offline Cincy513

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #5418 on: June 25, 2018, 01:04:27 PM »
If you think Lucy Blue's is better pizza then Goodfella's I really question your taste buds. 

Offline Cincy513

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #5419 on: June 25, 2018, 01:13:49 PM »
That sucks Royal isn't doing late night anymore.  It was great to have another option and never had a long line (probably why they stopped doing it).  Despite what troeros thinks their prices were fine for late night food.  Sacred Beast is a new place that is open late night every night of the week.  Hopefully more keep opening up. 

Offline Robuu

• Premium Member
  • Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #5420 on: June 25, 2018, 02:10:18 PM »
I still think Lucy Blue's pizza is better than Goodfella's, but it doesn't have the novelty factor of being a DC "jumbo slice" size.

I like Lucy Blue's. I think it's on par with some of the late night NYC pizza places. I've never had Goodfella's, because there's always a line when I'm near it and I know I can just go to Lucy Blue's and skip all that nonsense.

Offline jmicha

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5421 on: June 26, 2018, 07:48:21 AM »
I prefer Goodfella's but also liked Lucy Blue's. Lucy Blue's was on par with 2 Bros pizza all around NYC (cheap and "good enough" where you feel satisfied) whereas Goodfella's feels a bit higher quality and a single slice is enough for a light meal.

Honestly, I miss the pizza options in Cincy. I know I now live in NYC and that's probably something that would get me beaten if I repeated it here in the streets, but the reality is that 95% of pizza in NYC is trash. And the stuff that is good is normally pretty expensive. The cheap late night slice places are usually incredibly greasy and are designed around drunk people so they do little more than satisfy a quick craving.

Offline jmecklenborg

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'

Offline troeros

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #5423 on: June 29, 2018, 06:46:42 PM »
Maybe itís just me...but that seems really...fairly priced...if not kind of cheap?

Offline Jimmy Skinner

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #5424 on: July 01, 2018, 02:15:51 PM »
? for maybe 1,000 SF tiny vacant building? 

Offline Jimmy Skinner

• Burj Khalifa 2,722'
« Reply #5425 on: July 01, 2018, 02:24:32 PM »
I peeked in the door, and it looks like Simply Rolled Ice Cream is almost ready to open.  They are putting the finishing touches on the space, even while the building is all covered in scaffolding.

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2018/04/27/exclusive-rolled-ice-cream-shop-coming-to-over-the.html

This is where the barber shop was, before they were moved to Walnut Street

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2015/01/18/years-history-moves-otr-barbershop/21962443/

« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 02:29:35 PM by Jimmy Skinner »

Offline jwulsin

• Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5426 on: July 01, 2018, 04:31:57 PM »
The ~70's-era facade of the TruPartner Credit Union (corner of Elder/Vine) has been removed, revealing the original brick underneath. I'm not sure what the long-term plan is for the facade, as it looks pretty rough with the missing cornice and cinderblock patchwork on the parapet wall:

Here's a Streetview photo of the previous glass facade:

Online Ucgrad2015

• Dirt Lot 0'
« Reply #5427 on: July 02, 2018, 11:45:31 AM »
Something that I did not really realize till now but is there any reason why we have not seen any hotel developments in OTR/West End? I think the old Kroger site would be great for apartments/hotel

Offline taestell

• Global Moderator
  • Jeddah Tower 3,281'
« Reply #5428 on: July 02, 2018, 12:52:15 PM »
3CDC is/was planning to put a boutique hotel on 12th between Queen City Radio and The Transept. We also have the Symphony Hotel on 14th north of Music Hall. But in terms of big name brand hotels, I don't believe there are any plans.

Offline troeros

• Kettering Tower 408'
« Reply #5429 on: July 02, 2018, 12:56:14 PM »
Jose Garcia did a rendering of a hotel/office/residential structure for the large race and liberty lot. He posted it on his Instagram around November of last year.

Not sure why Jose did a full rendering for 3cdc if they are paving it into a parking lot...unles 3cdc is purposely waiting for the liberty street diet to occur first.