Author Topic: Cleveland: University Circle Developments (General)  (Read 493781 times)

Offline lafont

• 629'-Rhodes State Tower
Re: Cleveland: University Circle Developments (General)
« Reply #2240 on: February 28, 2014, 04:48:05 PM »
Does anyone know if the exterior will be restored at all - e.g. more historic looking windows?  This was, after all, one of the five luxury apartment-hotels built around the same time in the University Circle area and it used to look a lot better.

Offline lafont

« Reply #2241 on: February 28, 2014, 04:49:36 PM »
The exterior of the former Sovereign, which also is not regular market-rate apartments, has been entirely restored and looks great.  I know - not the same entity was behind it, I suppose.

Offline Clueless,Ohio

• 1450'-Willis Tower
  • Wag more. Bark less.
« Reply #2242 on: March 01, 2014, 02:23:12 AM »

^"Immediately perish"?
So he still died?

To be clearer i should've said something like 'didnt die on impact'
I dont know the answer though about his fate

http://fox8.com/2014/02/23/police-man-jumps-out-of-8th-story-window-to-avoid-cops/

Offline KJP

• Global Moderator
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #2243 on: March 05, 2014, 07:08:29 PM »
City Planning Commission
Agenda for March 7, 2014

EUCLID CORRIDOR DESIGN REVIEW
1.   EC2014- Maltz Performing Arts Center New Construction
Project Address: 1850 East 105th Street
Project Representative: Joanne Brown, CWRU

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/drcagenda/2014/03072014/index.php
CLEVELAND: East Coast amenities at Midwest prices!

Offline freethink

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #2244 on: March 05, 2014, 08:37:34 PM »
Maltz Performing Arts Center renderings.
live small  dream big

Online DM4

« Reply #2245 on: March 05, 2014, 08:39:34 PM »
^WOW

Offline Keith

• Premium Member
« Reply #2246 on: March 05, 2014, 08:59:21 PM »
^^Nice.

Has anyone heard anything recently about the proposed pedestrian bridge connecting this building with the art museum? I haven't heard it mentioned in a couple years.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 09:17:01 PM by Keith »
Occasionally known as Grumpy.

Offline Whipjacka

• 665'-Queen City Square
« Reply #2247 on: March 05, 2014, 11:08:24 PM »
woah
"got this thang licked like stamps and 9 volt battery end caps"~Big Boi

Offline SixthCity

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
« Reply #2248 on: March 05, 2014, 11:51:34 PM »
Dope
"A MONUMENT CONCEIVED AS A TRIBUTE TO THE IDEALS OF CLEVELAND, BUILDED BY HER CITIZENS AND DEDICATED TO SOCIAL PROGRESS, INDUSTRIAL ACHIEVEMENTS AND CIVIC INTEREST"

Offline clvlndr

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #2249 on: March 06, 2014, 12:39:23 AM »
Sweet.

Online gotribe

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #2250 on: March 06, 2014, 05:45:30 AM »
Boss!

Offline lafont

« Reply #2251 on: March 06, 2014, 06:05:31 AM »
Yo! :shoot:

Offline Whipjacka

• 665'-Queen City Square
« Reply #2252 on: March 06, 2014, 07:57:57 AM »
I guess this is what universal acclaim on UO looks like
"got this thang licked like stamps and 9 volt battery end caps"~Big Boi

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl.
« Reply #2253 on: March 06, 2014, 02:02:35 PM »
Nice blending of the old and new.  Nice repurposing of the temple they don't use much anymore.
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.  Those who can are condemned to get pist off watching the forgetful repeat it.

Offline jborger

• examiner.com, twitter, blog
  • Now living in Detroit Shoreway
    • Jeremy Borger from Cleveland, Ohio
« Reply #2254 on: March 07, 2014, 08:22:00 PM »
I guess this is what universal acclaim on UO looks like

I know, I've never seen that before!

Offline Confiteordeo

• It's Britney, b*tch!
« Reply #2255 on: March 07, 2014, 09:04:09 PM »
Progress and prosperity.

Offline nehpets19

• 367'-PNC Bank
« Reply #2256 on: March 07, 2014, 11:16:43 PM »

I was browsing the Dogecoin Reddit before heading here and I was greeted with this. Such happiness.

Offline StrapHanger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #2257 on: March 08, 2014, 12:22:48 AM »
Lots more info about the CWRU/Temple project in a new piece from Litt: http://www.cleveland.com/architecture/index.ssf/2014/03/cwru_will_soon_launch_a_59_mil.html#incart_river_default#incart_m-rpt-2

Looks like groundreaking will be next month!

This part sounds very promising:

At Friday’s meeting, consultant Irwin Lowenstein, CWRU’s architectural adviser, said that the university was planning a physical connection from its current campus edge at East Boulevard west across the museum property and the parks to the Temple building.

He said the university, the art museum and the Cleveland Foundation had conducted a private design competition among landscape architects to choose a designer for that project.

Per the article, it's not clear whether this connection will include the Rosales-designed pedestrian bridge that had previously been discussed.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 12:30:21 AM by StrapHanger »
"Cleveland, as you see, is not an apple, but a bunch of grapes each of which has its own particular pattern-some large, others small, some round, others long and narrow, some sweet, others sour, some sound, others rotten throughout."  -Howard Whipple Green, 1932

Online DM4

« Reply #2258 on: March 08, 2014, 12:26:09 AM »
The Cleveland Museum of Natural History raises nearly $39 million and plans expansion start in 2016

Now it’s another museum’s turn for a big makeover.

Just a few months after the Cleveland Museum of Art finished an eight-year expansion and renovation, the Cleveland Museum of Natural History has announced it will finalize architectural plans for a similar physical transformation and break ground in 2016.

The museum has also announced that it has raised nearly $39 million in cash and pledges toward the $125 million project since it began a capital campaign 16 months ago.

http://www.cleveland.com/architecture/index.ssf/2014/03/the_cleveland_museum_of_natura_1.html

Offline Envy2

• 0'-Surface Lot
  • professional nomad.
    • professional nomad.
« Reply #2259 on: March 08, 2014, 01:27:32 AM »
As a CWRU alum, I just received the below email related to the Maltz Center project:

Dear College of Arts and Sciences alumni,

I’m pleased to share with you exciting news about the College’s premier capital campaign project, The Milton and Tamar Maltz Performing Arts Center at The Temple – Tifereth Israel.

At the university’s board of trustees meeting in February, the board approved plans to begin construction on the building this spring. This is a tremendous milestone made possible by the more than 60 individuals and organizations who have committed funds to the project.

To all who have supported this effort, thank you for your incredible generosity. On behalf of the college’s students, faculty and staff, I offer my sincere gratitude for the incredible leap forward that you have made possible.

So far, we’ve raised more than $59 million for the project. To complete construction of the project, we still need to raise about $4 million in funding; otherwise some spaces will be left unfinished, or “shelled.” Through our ongoing initiatives, we also plan to raise funds for further enhancements to meet the needs of all three of our performing arts departments, as well as create a significant endowment to support its ongoing operation.

Since we first announced the project in March 2010, faculty and staff from the college and university have collaborated with architects MGA Partners of Philadelphia, as well as other consultants, to ensure that the Maltz Performing Arts Center is a revolutionary facility for our students in dance, music and theater. During this development process, the scope of changes to the existing building has expanded greatly, to the benefit of our performing arts programs.

The ambitious plans include significant renovations that will maintain the historic integrity of the sanctuary while transforming it into a world-class concert hall. Other new performance venues will include a 350-seat proscenium theater, a highly flexible black-box theater and a smaller recital hall. The nearly 145,000-square-foot complex will also feature dance and acting studios to accommodate classes and rehearsals, scene and costume shops, a resource center and media lab, classrooms and design labs.

Performing arts at Case Western Reserve University date back to the founding of Western Reserve College, and our programs have been at the forefront of academic innovation and excellence over the ensuing decades. Today, more than one-third of all undergraduate CWRU students take classes in dance, music or theater during their time on campus. Last year, more than 800 students participated in a performing arts extracurricular activity.

This project marks the first time in the university’s history that a new facility is being constructed for dance, music and theater. When the Maltz Center Performing Arts Center is completed, on East 105th Street just a short walk from the center of campus, we will finally have a building worthy of our stellar faculty and students.

As President Barbara R. Snyder noted in a story in today’s The Daily newsletter, “Our students bring remarkable talents in the performing arts, and this project will provide them space commensurate with their skills and potential. We are profoundly grateful to all of the people who stepped forward to support this effort, starting with Milton and Tamar Maltz and extending to the undergraduates who performed in the KSL Oval this fall to help raise funds.”

Fundraising will continue even as construction begins. If you’re interested in becoming a supporter of this transformative project, please contact Clarke Leslie, associate dean of development, at 216.368.5322 or clarke.leslie@cwru.edu.

And stay tuned for more updates as this thrilling project takes shape in the coming months.

Cyrus C. Taylor
Dean and Albert A. Michelson Professor in Physics

Offline Clueless,Ohio

• 1450'-Willis Tower
  • Wag more. Bark less.
« Reply #2260 on: March 08, 2014, 01:43:18 AM »

So thrilled about this!, hope all of the historic elements remain

Offline MuRrAy HiLL

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
“Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood. " -- Daniel Burnham

Offline MuRrAy HiLL

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #2262 on: March 11, 2014, 10:08:47 AM »
University Place Townhomes

https://www.facebook.com/UPTownhomes118
“Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood. " -- Daniel Burnham

Offline MuRrAy HiLL

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #2263 on: March 14, 2014, 10:10:45 AM »
A little more detail on the project...from Jewish News.

CWRU to transform ‘Silver’s Temple’ into arts masterpiece

MGA PARTNERS OF PHILADELPHIA

Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2014 1:30 pm | Updated: 12:44 pm, Wed Mar 12, 2014.

Construction will begin next month on an ambitious renovation and expansion of The Temple-Tifereth Israel in University Circle now that the Cleveland Planning Commission has endorsed plans to recast the historic structure for a more contemporary, academic use.

Ground will be broken on the Wade Oval project, a performing arts center for Case Western Reserve University at its core, on Wednesday, April 9. The Maltz Family Foundation of the Jewish Federation of Cleveland’s 2010 gift of $12 million to Case jumpstarted the proposed $64 million effort. Milton and Tamar Maltz, founders of the foundation, plan to attend the ceremony. So far, $59.3 million has been raised.

The project calls for conversion of the neo-Byzantine 1926 structure to The Milton and Tamar Maltz Performing Arts Center at The Temple-Tifereth Israel. The Temple, closely associated with the rabbinates of Abba Hillel Silver and his son, Daniel Jeremy, will continue to be used for High Holy Days and major events, as has been the case for years. Most activities, however, will take place at the Temple-Tifereth Israel’s Beachwood home on Shaker Boulevard, where it has operated a religious school and other programs since 1971. Temple Tifereth Israel is the second-oldest congregation in Cleveland.

http://www.clevelandjewishnews.com/news/local/article_45899aa6-a943-11e3-8d10-0019bb2963f4.html

Offline AJ93

• Premium Member
  • Derek Jeter Loves You
« Reply #2264 on: March 14, 2014, 07:17:55 PM »
I'm sorry, and I'm sure I'm in the significant minority, but as a member of this temple this whole project makes me sick. This temple is a piece of history. The founding Rabbi was instrumental in the formation of Israel, and it's sale represents yet another instance of the Jewish Community turning its back on the City right at the time of its renaissance. And in the two main instances, the Federation moving its HQ and now this, the Maltz Family has been complicit in the decision making process.

I find it infuriating that they can donate $12MM to create an arts center, but couldn't donate $12MM to the renovation of the Temple in the first place. But I guess you can't get naming rights to a temple. That's just tacky. They were part of the back office dealings that made the decision to move the Federation to Beachwood as well (a decision that was made, BTW, well in advance of all the impassioned pleas on the part of David Goldberg, Ari Maron, et al.). And in hindsight, the 'promises' that the building would be put to good use and that the Federation wasn't turning it's back on the city was a load of crap

Don't get me wrong, in a bubble, the arts center looks nice, and I guess if we're going to abandon our heritage I'm glad that it was for the benefit of Case. It gives me a small amount of solace knowing that it's being put to good use. But there's no reason we couldn't have made a concerted effort to re-focus our efforts on making that beautiful building our primary home again. No reason except a lack of desire. Disgraceful.

End rant. Back to the accolades.
Cleveland: Tell your dame it's the bee's knees! - 327

Offline StrapHanger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #2265 on: March 14, 2014, 07:32:48 PM »
^Thanks for sharing your perspective- your point of view definitely makes sense to me, even if I don't have the personal stake.  In hindsight, you'd think that relocating the JCF offices to, and re-investing in the Temple complex might have been a good compromise between the two camps in that battle.  Part of me, though, is just relieved that this project ensures a lasting Jewish institutional presence in city limits for another few decades, even if mostly symbolic.  And it really will be nice to a see such a grand complex revitalized after so many decades of under-use.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 12:58:54 AM by StrapHanger »
"Cleveland, as you see, is not an apple, but a bunch of grapes each of which has its own particular pattern-some large, others small, some round, others long and narrow, some sweet, others sour, some sound, others rotten throughout."  -Howard Whipple Green, 1932

Offline Mendo

• 574'-Carew Tower
« Reply #2266 on: March 14, 2014, 08:35:08 PM »
I'm sorry, and I'm sure I'm in the significant minority, but as a member of this temple this whole project makes me sick.

That is not a crazy reaction. I think most people would prefer the building renovated and used for its original purpose. The undertone is that another institution, and by extension their affluent members, are leaving the city. That is not a net win for the city.

As you mentioned, donating the space to Case is the best of the alternatives. Considering the 2 churches along Euclid that were demolished last year, I would say this is next-best outcome. :|

Online X

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2267 on: March 15, 2014, 12:51:13 AM »
Leaving?  I thought they left long ago, except for a few major events.

Offline Clueless,Ohio

• 1450'-Willis Tower
  • Wag more. Bark less.
« Reply #2268 on: March 17, 2014, 03:11:09 AM »

Veale Student Ctr getting closer to opening

Offline KJP

• Global Moderator
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #2269 on: March 17, 2014, 05:46:17 AM »
Thanks! Good pics.

Offline KJP

• Global Moderator
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #2270 on: March 18, 2014, 04:19:31 AM »
March 20 meeting on Little Italy Rapid station construction.....
http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php/topic,4504.msg700654.html#msg700654

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl.
« Reply #2271 on: March 18, 2014, 02:13:40 PM »
Food desert?  Is someone complaining about the campus meal plan again??
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.  Those who can are condemned to get pist off watching the forgetful repeat it.

Online BaltiCraig

• 0'-Surface Lot
« Reply #2272 on: March 20, 2014, 10:29:06 AM »
Case Western Reserve University to build residence hall for upperclassmen

Case Western Reserve University plans to build a $40 million residence hall for upperclassmen at East 115th Street, near Wade Park Avenue. The proposed 122,643-square-foot facility includes 16 double-occupancy townhouses on East 115th Street and 274 beds in a five-story apartment-style building in doubles, triples and quadruples. It will be built across from the baseball field on land that had been used for track and field throwing events, including discus, javelin and shot put. Construction start late spring 2014 and it will open in August, 2015.

Article: http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2014/03/case_western_reserve_universit_23.html

Images: http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/drcagenda/2014/03212014/index.php
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 10:33:00 AM by BaltiCraig »

Offline KJP

• Global Moderator
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #2273 on: March 20, 2014, 06:58:56 PM »
Wow, that's a small parcel! If there is going to be parking included, I suspect it's going to have to be built under the building.

Turns out the graphics have already been posted at City Planning Commission.....

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/drcagenda/2014/03212014/index.php

« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 08:25:16 PM by KJP »

Online DM4

« Reply #2274 on: March 20, 2014, 08:31:08 PM »
Just a guess, and based on the renderings, there will be no parking.

Remove Ads