Remove Ads

Author Topic: Cleveland: Cleveland State University Developments  (Read 473346 times)

Offline Ewoops

• 408'-Kettering Tower
Re: Cleveland State University-related developments
« Reply #140 on: March 15, 2006, 06:47:30 AM »
^No fair!

Offline MayDay

• Administrator
  • The HBIC from the CLE
    • Cleveland Skyscrapers
« Reply #141 on: March 15, 2006, 06:54:15 AM »
Out of curiosity, is one required to have a CSU ID to go to the upper floors of Rhodes Tower? Say for... taking some photos?

Or even better... if any CSU employee here on the forum can get me access to an upper floor (with views to the west, preferably in the morning) of Fenn Tower, I'll buy you a six-pack of your drink of choice  :-D

Anyone who can help, please PM me. Thanks!

Offline X

• Global Moderator
« Reply #142 on: March 15, 2006, 07:11:43 AM »
I've taken pics from up their before.  The concrete "vanes" on either side of the windows, coupled with the thick, dirty and distorted glass makes it not so great for that purpose.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2006, 07:12:08 AM by X »

Offline smackem81

• 468'-Scripps Center
  • Lost in cul-de-sac
« Reply #143 on: March 15, 2006, 07:17:35 AM »
One of the floors has a computer lab for math in rhodes tower,15th floor. I dont know if it has windows, or you could get in without ID or some type of passcode. A friend of mine said he got on the roof once, but I think he just happend to get lucky. That all being said, most of Rhodes is teacher offices and grad student offices, if you get ahold of someone, maybe they can get you in one of them. Say its for photography class or something :)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2006, 07:19:20 AM by smackem81 »

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
« Reply #144 on: March 15, 2006, 07:19:27 AM »
The law school concept looks pretty bad.  For that matter, so does the OSU architecture school.  Dramatic architectural statements are not always dramatically pleasing to the eye.
Urban Plan like a champion today.

Offline MayDay

• Administrator
  • The HBIC from the CLE
    • Cleveland Skyscrapers
« Reply #145 on: March 15, 2006, 07:37:56 AM »
Only problem, smackem - I don't think I could pass for a collegiate any more - hmm, but a grad student... that's an idea!  :wink:

Offline theguv

• 574'-Carew Tower
  • my friends usually call me John
« Reply #146 on: March 15, 2006, 08:12:17 AM »
mayday,

anyone can access rhodes tower.  the elevator shafts are a bit confusing, so i would recommend the stairs as it will give you the added bonus of being able to see the windows on each floor.  i believe the 5th or 7th floor has a nice view.

but hey, regarding a great photo spot, try the 7th floor of the new federal courthouse tower.  the lunchroom (public access) has great views west and north along the river while a rear 7th floor patio/garden has great views looking south along W. Huron.  if you've never been, the building is well worth a visit!
"The way in which we experience and interpret the world obviously depends very much indeed on the kind of ideas that fill our minds. If they are mainly small, weak, superficial, and incoherent, life will appear insipid, uninteresting, petty, and chaotic."
-E.F. Schumacher

Offline Map Boy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #147 on: March 16, 2006, 08:00:18 AM »
Great tip Guv!

I was going to add, MayDay, that there's no security check to get into Rhodes Tower.  It's kind of strange, come to think of it, that the tallest building on a State-owned campus...and a university, no less...has no security check in.  Many college campuses these days have ID checks at all doors of their buildings...hmmm.

Anyway, you can get in, but like X said, the windows are narrow and DIRTY!  I was just trying to get a view out of the windows at WCSB (9th floor) and they're filthy, set back and only one opens in the whole station...bummer.

Good luck!

Offline MayDay

• Administrator
  • The HBIC from the CLE
    • Cleveland Skyscrapers
« Reply #148 on: March 16, 2006, 08:08:46 AM »
"but hey, regarding a great photo spot, try the 7th floor of the new federal courthouse tower."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that cameras weren't allowed in the courthouse tower. Mind you when I took a hardhat tour, they didn't a rat's patooty.  :?

Offline musky

• SPRAWL KILLS !!!
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Where there is no vision, the people perish.
    • Cleveland vs. The World
« Reply #149 on: March 22, 2006, 05:12:10 AM »
Here are some new Recreation Center pictures to look at:

Offline the pope

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • World Class Signage
« Reply #150 on: March 22, 2006, 05:30:12 AM »
thanks musky

Offline Map Boy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #151 on: March 22, 2006, 08:30:08 AM »
very nice!  I'm looking forward to getting in there and pumping some iron...

Online StrapHanger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #152 on: March 22, 2006, 09:20:54 AM »
It's nice to see some color on campus.
"Cleveland, as you see, is not an apple, but a bunch of grapes each of which has its own particular pattern-some large, others small, some round, others long and narrow, some sweet, others sour, some sound, others rotten throughout."  -Howard Whipple Green, 1932

Offline blinker12

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #153 on: March 23, 2006, 04:08:27 AM »
This was a newsbrief in Tuesday's PD:

East 17th Street to be extended

East 17th Street should grow 450 feet by late summer, as city planners on Friday approved designs for an extension from Euclid Avenue south to Prospect Avenue. The Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority will pay about $600,000 for the work, as part of the $200 million Euclid Corridor project. The extension will provide RTA buses easier access to a new terminal planned for East 21st Street and Prospect. The new street will be paved through existing parking lots and feature landscaping and decorative fencing.

Offline musky

• SPRAWL KILLS !!!
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #154 on: March 24, 2006, 01:29:13 AM »

In related news, the Planning Commission wants to directly work with the Art Gallery that will reside on the corner of East 17th and Euclid to address the soon to be prominant white washed wall. City Architecture is working with thew owners of the Hanna Parking Garage to reface the East side portion of the garage.

Offline musky

• SPRAWL KILLS !!!
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #155 on: March 24, 2006, 01:47:47 AM »

Site Plan

Offline theguv

• 574'-Carew Tower
  • my friends usually call me John
« Reply #156 on: March 24, 2006, 01:48:03 AM »
The Bonfoey Gallery?
http://www.bonfoey.com

i take it you are speaking of the west facing wall?

i take it this will eliminate current parking spaces.  are there any plans for the p.lot immediately west of the extension?  this would seem to be important to playhouse square's image.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 01:48:45 AM by theguv »
"The way in which we experience and interpret the world obviously depends very much indeed on the kind of ideas that fill our minds. If they are mainly small, weak, superficial, and incoherent, life will appear insipid, uninteresting, petty, and chaotic."
-E.F. Schumacher

Offline musky

• SPRAWL KILLS !!!
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #157 on: March 24, 2006, 02:08:44 AM »
Yes, Bonfoey.
Thank you.
I am so bad with names.

The site was always slated for some sort of development. As is the Prospect lot.
In the CSU Srategic Plan Survey that was recently concluded, I suggested it would be a good place for a performance arts center.

Offline blinker12

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #158 on: March 24, 2006, 03:11:19 AM »
I think they should be going the mixed-use route for new buildings on these lots. The institutional feel of the immediately surrounding area (with the theaters and CSU) is already somewhat overwhelming. I'd just put up some good, old-fashioned three- or four-story retail/residential buildings on the Euclid and Prospect lots.

Offline Map Boy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #159 on: March 24, 2006, 04:12:55 AM »
I could even see something on Euclid of a more Statler Arms-esque condo building in the 10-12 story range.  What an exciting place to live! 

Offline musky

• SPRAWL KILLS !!!
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #160 on: March 24, 2006, 05:04:40 AM »
Those are good ideas.
I feel it would be a great location for a performance arts center that could build off of what is already established with Playhouse Square.
I am sure something will appear there within the next, oh, I'll wager 8 years.

Offline musky

• SPRAWL KILLS !!!
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #161 on: March 24, 2006, 05:06:48 AM »
In other CSU news:

SUMMARY OF THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES MEETING

March 17, 2006

Major Actions Taken:(3 of 8)

Approved the selection of Braun & Steidl/Gwathmey Siegel as the Architect for the Student Center project, and authorized the University Administration to enter into negotiations for architectural and engineering services for the Student Center project at a fee not to exceed comparable fees paid for similar services in Ohio, subject to the approval of the Officers of the Board.

Approved the selection of Ozanne/Turner as Construction Manager for the Student Center Phases I & II, the College of Education, and a Parking/Transit Facility, and authorized the University Administration to enter into negotiations with Ozanne/Turner to provide construction management services for the four proposed projects at a fee not to exceed comparable fees paid for similar services in Ohio, subject to the approval of the Officers of the Board.

Authorized the University Administration to enter into a Right of Entry agreement with the Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority for the period April 1, 2006 through March 31, 2009 for the purposes of conducting the work necessary for the construction of the highway or related incidental improvements on Euclid Avenue, in substantially the same form as presented, subject to any changes deemed necessary by the President and reported to the Officers of the Board.

Offline Map Boy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #162 on: March 24, 2006, 05:20:08 AM »
Wow, Braun & Steidl/Gwathmey Siegel?  That's a big name!  I'm even more anxious to see the first sets of renderings for this project.  I've got Steve Litt coming to a class this week, so I'll try to entreat him to a little conversation on the subject of our campus's architectural identity...

Offline Redbeard1969

• 279'-First Energy Center
« Reply #163 on: March 24, 2006, 06:48:15 AM »
Good luck; he tends to hate the CSU campus architecture, and loves constantly writing that it represents Brutalism at its worst.  Which is odd, because he often prefers very modern, slab-sided or abstract architecture, even if it sticks out like a sore thumb.  He may hate brutalism, but he seems to like the mentality of "destroy the old, create the new" that was behind it.
Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character -- Oscar Levant

Offline Map Boy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #164 on: March 24, 2006, 06:58:21 AM »
well, that would still be a conversation, wouldn't it?  i mean, as long as we don't just let him go on about things!  ideally, we'll all be chatting it up.  Plus, the dramatic contrast of the history of CSU architecture is definitely something that we're going to see inreasingly over the coming years.  There are already some great examples today of how campus (and pre-campus) has physically developed over the past 100+ years, from the Mather mansion to the Levin College, Fenn Tower to Rhodes Tower, the Main Classroom Building to the new rec center.  It's pretty intriguing, really.

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
« Reply #165 on: March 24, 2006, 07:12:36 AM »
Good luck; he tends to hate the CSU campus architecture, and loves constantly writing that it represents Brutalism at its worst.  Which is odd, because he often prefers very modern, slab-sided or abstract architecture, even if it sticks out like a sore thumb.  He may hate brutalism, but he seems to like the mentality of "destroy the old, create the new" that was behind it.

Redbeard,

Good observations.  Litt is a little too in love with today's modern architecture for my taste.  While he embraces new urbanism as a planning concept, he rarely embraces it as in architectural design.  Modern architecture is very risky.  There are many buildings that receive great acclaim but end up standing out like a sore thumb over time. 

I am not against architectural statements, but they rarely succeed on the street level.  I would tend towards the conservative side to preserve the urban integrity of an area before I'd take a big risk with a "signature structure."  Gehry can do some strange stuff nowadays, but I really like Fred & Ginger. To me, that is a great way of blending the new and the old.   

I worry about MOCA's new design at Mayfield and Euclid.  It will only be 30,000sq ft.  With the current developer's ideas for the Triangle and Beach, 15+ story towers are envisioned.  I would think that it would be difficult pull this off architecturally.  Then again, I am not architect.

Offline Map Boy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #166 on: March 24, 2006, 07:18:23 AM »
Then again, I am not architect.

Good point!

Now, who are Fred and Ginger?

Also, this may be something for another thread, but why does the MOCA thing conflict with the plans for the intersection?  My impression was that it would be part of a larger structure...Then again, I don't work for UCI.

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
« Reply #167 on: March 24, 2006, 07:26:54 AM »
Fred & Ginger

Offline Map Boy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #168 on: March 24, 2006, 07:39:59 AM »
I like that a helluva lot more than the junk heap Gehry dropped at Ford and Bellflower...

Offline Map Boy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #169 on: March 24, 2006, 07:49:54 AM »
Hmmm...not exactly loving the campus architecture on www.gwathmey-siegel.com:

SUNY Syracuse:

Dartmouth:

Are we getting a climbing wall in our rec center?

Not a bad hotel (Hoboken):

Offline Map Boy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #170 on: March 24, 2006, 07:53:46 AM »
BTW, I also heard that Barnes & Noble did not win the bid for the new bookstore that will be a part of the Student Center.

[update]

CSU Board of Trustees authorized the University Administration to negotiate a contract with the Nebraska Book Company for a fifteen-year period, commencing June 1, 2006 and expiring on May 31, 2021, subject to approval of the Officers of the Board.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2006, 01:30:48 PM by Mister Good Day »

Offline musky

• SPRAWL KILLS !!!
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #171 on: March 24, 2006, 09:17:32 AM »
There are already some great examples today of how campus (and pre-campus) has physically developed over the past 100+ years, from the Mather mansion to the Levin College, Fenn Tower to Rhodes Tower, the Main Classroom Building to the new rec center.  It's pretty intriguing, really.
You want intriguing, Look at the Chester Building. It has evolved so much since first built in 1940 up until the latest morphing in the 80's. Next up is demolition of the back portion of the South Building in order to create a courtyard for the new Fenn Tower residents openspace as part of the greenspace plan.
(I got this mixed up with the outdoor space that will be part of the new deli in Fenn)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2006, 01:16:45 AM by musky »

Offline smackem81

• 468'-Scripps Center
  • Lost in cul-de-sac
« Reply #172 on: March 24, 2006, 10:25:36 AM »
I never understood the demolition for a courtyard for fenn tower residents, as its not really near the tower. I understood it as it being part of the central campus greenway they are trying to establish.

Online StrapHanger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #173 on: March 24, 2006, 12:42:53 PM »
Hmmm...not exactly loving the campus architecture on www.gwathmey-siegel.com

That stuff is all better than the reflective piece of crap they designed for Cooper Square back in your old home city (if not borough).  The firm made it's name designing long island beach houses.  Enough said.

Good luck; he tends to hate the CSU campus architecture, and loves constantly writing that it represents Brutalism at its worst.

But overall, I think I'm with Litt.  Does anyone really disagree with his general assessment of the campus?  And regarding his preference for modern: Cleveland seems to be pretty sour on modern stuff in general but I think that is partly because there is so little of it of any value there.  I haven't done my research on the short list of firms for the Triangle redevelopment but I am very excited and I think the blend of programming, from the museum to residential towers, is an awesome opportunity.  Although Wimwar has probably seen a little more than the rest of us (e.g., frightening renderings).

As for Litt's embrace of "new urbanism" as planning concept but not architectural design, I am fully behind him there.  Am I the only one who finds "New Urbanism" kind of empty?  The old joke is that it is neither "new" or "urban."  Do I like walkable neighborhoods and cities and stuff, well duh, I read this site all day long instead of doing the Man's work, but I just call that "urban" and I'm not sure why new houses need to superficially look like they did 80 years ago.  I suppose "New Urbanism" is useful as a descriptive term because everyone knows what you mean  (as opposed to "urban") but you'd think Duany and PZ et al invented cities the way people use it-so I try to avoid the term except in reference to the sprawly autocentric CA and Florida suburbs that seem to latch onto it most.
"Cleveland, as you see, is not an apple, but a bunch of grapes each of which has its own particular pattern-some large, others small, some round, others long and narrow, some sweet, others sour, some sound, others rotten throughout."  -Howard Whipple Green, 1932

Offline musky

• SPRAWL KILLS !!!
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #174 on: March 27, 2006, 07:04:39 AM »
By Request - Weekly Recreation Center Photo Update