Author Topic: Cincinnati: Over-the-Rhine: Development and News  (Read 383483 times)

Offline buildingcincinnati

• aka grasscat
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Building Cincinnati isn't a job, it's a lifestyle
    • Building Cincinnati
Re: Cincinnati: Over-the-Rhine: Development and News
« Reply #455 on: August 17, 2007, 02:10:19 PM »
OTR transitional housing moving to McMicken
Building Cincinnati, 8/14/07

45-47 E McMicken Avenue

City Council has voted unanimously to extend a forgivable loan to Over-the-Rhine Community Housing for an affordable housing project.

The loan of $881,000 comes from federal HOME funds and will be used to rehab the building at 45-47 E McMicken Avenue into transitional housing.

The completed building, called McMicken Transitional Housing, will include nine efficiency apartments and three one-bedroom units. An on-site office will be staffed by representatives from the Drop Inn Center.

Units will be made available to people with a gross income at or below 60 percent of area median income.

Transitional housing had been located at Twelfth and Elm streets. That site was demolished for the future School for the Creative and Performing Arts.

Construction on the new site is expected to cost just over $1 million. The funding gap will be closed with a $134,000 grant.

Completion should be expected in about a year.

Federal HOME grants are given to states and localities to create affordable housing for low-income people.

The program, which is administered by HUD, allocates about $2 billion per year.

WINDOWS LIVE BIRD'S EYE VIEW (looking west)
GOOGLE AERIAL MAP

THE ColDayMan's sig solidifies my status as a UO Hall of Famer.

Offline Jskinner

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #456 on: August 18, 2007, 01:04:54 AM »
SWC 14th & Vine: demo of 1311, 1333 & 1335 Vine--noncontributing buildings with noncontributing front additions, and replacement with a new building
1333 and 1335 Vine are very old and are "contributing" to the historic district.  They are old style townhouse type buildings that were built set-back from the street.  later additions on the front make them look ugly and modern.  I think it is a mistake to demolish them.  I am curious as to the proposed replacement.  This would be the first new building on Vine Street north of 12th in decades.  I will try to attend the hearing.  Looks like a very full agenda for 3CDC Vine Street, even including the Empire Theater site. Wow.

1311 Vine is definitely contributing, and I see no reason at all to demolish it.  Maybe I can take some photos of these existing blgs tomorrow and post them.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 01:06:52 AM by Jskinner »

Offline Jskinner

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #457 on: August 18, 2007, 04:54:42 PM »
1311 Vine.  This must be on the demo list by mistake?  If the Board approves this they are nuts:

1332 Vine, proposed to remain:

1331, 1333 and 1335 Vine:

North side of 1335 Vine, facing 14th Street:

Garage on 14th and Republic which is proposed to have 2 stories added on top:

« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 04:55:27 PM by Jskinner »

• aka grasscat
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • Building Cincinnati
« Reply #458 on: August 18, 2007, 05:24:40 PM »
Tender Mercies to rehab Harkavy Hall
Building Cincinnati, 8/15/07

(NOTE: In a story last week, I posted about Tender Mercies, Inc. being awarded federal tax credits for their Harkavy Hall project. Tender Mercies CEO Bren Blaine has provided me with more information on the project, which I didn't have at the time.)

Harkavy Hall, provided

Tender Mercies plans on beginning the rehabilitation of its Harkavy Hall building in May 2008.

The building, at 24 W Twelfth Street, currently contains permanent housing for 30 formerly homeless, severely mentally ill people. It also contains communal facilities, laundry facilities, a barber shop and a common area for residents.

As part of the $4 million project*, the entire building will be gutted and rebuilt to code, with an elevator, fireproof stairwells and ADA accessability. More modern and efficient HVAC will also be added.

The 30 single-room occupancy units will be reconfigured, and an unusable basement will be finished and will include an office, storage space and a new barber shop.

The structure's historical facade will also be restored.

Residents will be moved to one of Tender Mercies' other five buildings during construction.

Funding for the project comes from Low-Income Housing Tax Credits, Historical Tax Credits, private foundations and individual donors.

Construction should be completed by the end of 2008.

WINDOWS LIVE BIRD'S EYE VIEW
GOOGLE AERIAL MAP

* Actual construction costs: $2.8 million

http://buildingcincinnati.blogspot.com/2007/08/tender-mercies-to-rehab-harkavy-hall.html

Offline Maximillian

• 665'-Queen City Square
  • My loony bun is fine benny lava!
« Reply #459 on: August 19, 2007, 08:27:51 PM »
What a great addition to the Gateway quarter, I would never think of moving around there now.

Tender Mercies to rehab Harkavy Hall

Offline edale

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #460 on: August 19, 2007, 09:02:50 PM »
Tender Mercies already has a presence in the Gateway Quarter...Plus I think Tender Mercies is a pretty reputable and respectable organization and should be able to coexist with the recent development in that part of OTR.  They are certainly much more responsible than the Drop In Center.

Online mcmicken

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
    • www.HamptonArchitects.com
« Reply #461 on: August 19, 2007, 09:42:08 PM »
Tender Mercies already has a presence in the Gateway Quarter...Plus I think Tender Mercies is a pretty reputable and respectable organization and should be able to coexist with the recent development in that part of OTR.  They are certainly much more responsible than the Drop In Center.

They traditionally have been a good neighbor.  Over the years they have helped fight drug dealing at that location by installing additional lighting, hanging the "Don't deal drugs here" banner over Republic Street, and by selling their tenants cigarettes and other sundries to take business from and drive the horrible corner store out of business.

• aka grasscat
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • Building Cincinnati
« Reply #462 on: August 20, 2007, 02:21:06 AM »
Agreed with the last two posts.  They're just rehabbing the building and will continue to have 30 tenants.  They're not adding anything that's not already there except for a nicer looking building.

Offline Maximillian

• 665'-Queen City Square
« Reply #463 on: August 20, 2007, 09:16:10 AM »
permanent housing for 30 formerly homeless, severely mentally ill people
I'm sorry but that would not be a good selling point to share to with my wife and son. You would think as the area became gentrified that these social service agencies would move to a more approriate area. With this development they are digging in and are going to stay for the long haul, just knowing that is enough for me.

• aka grasscat
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • Building Cincinnati
« Reply #464 on: August 20, 2007, 01:50:13 PM »
Well, unless we plan on re-opening sanitariums, it is better that these people are housed and getting treatment than roaming the streets, homeless.

I don't really recall an instance of a person under Tender Mercies' care committing a violent crime against anyone.  In fact, the whole idea of Tender Mercies was to protect these mentally ill people from OTHERS in the neighborhood taking advantage of them.

While a SRO for the mentally ill is not my ideal neighbor, there are a lot worse neighbors you could have--a group home for convicted felons, for example.

Offline moonloop

• 665'-Queen City Square
« Reply #465 on: August 20, 2007, 02:55:09 PM »

While a SRO for the mentally ill is not my ideal neighbor, there are a lot worse neighbors you could have--a group home for convicted felons, for example.

Problem is there's probably IS a convicted felons home in OTR along with a sexual predator home, a drug abuse home, a wife beaters home, an ADD home etc. Aren't there like 200+ in the area?? Then throw in Maximillian and Jimmy Skinner and look what you have. ;-) The ultimate in diversity. That's why I can't see OTR ever turning a corner.

Offline Maximillian

• 665'-Queen City Square
« Reply #466 on: August 20, 2007, 03:10:01 PM »
Overall, I am for whatever helps slow down the wanton destruction or speeds up the recovery of the building stock of OTR.  My buddy from Germany told me last week that OTR is a true Gem. (News to me HAHA!) His city  was almost completely destroyed in WW2, he said if there were areas like OTR where he lived there they would flourish over all others. To me this project is a speedbump and will slow down the recovery of the area.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 03:14:05 PM by Maximillian »

Offline jessehallum

• 367'-PNC Bank
« Reply #467 on: August 20, 2007, 04:10:43 PM »
It is not a speedbump.  With all due respect, some of you are speaking as though you have never been the Washington Park Neighborhood.  The people in that building are fine.  They are not the problem with the neighborhood in any way, shape, or form.  They are not dangerous.  This building is not a haven for drunks and convicts.  It is not a free handout for crack heads and convicts like at the drop inn center. 

As a society, we should be rooting for these people to make it.  These are the people who are either serious about recovery or are just not adapted to world that well. 

There is enough room for some service agencies to stay in Washington Park and I think that that a few Tender Mercies buildings should be in the plans for the area.  The redevelopment of OTR should include a mix of uses and income levels.  We should help the responsible service agencies, while focusing on finding solutions to the real problems of the neighborhood (like running the Drop Inn Center up I-75 to West Chester).
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 04:15:50 PM by jessehallum »

Offline Michael L. Redmond

• The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.
  • 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #468 on: August 20, 2007, 04:13:34 PM »
I'm sorry but that would not be a good selling point to share to with my wife and son.
One thing at a time.  The biggest problem has been that these very same people have been living here in buildings that are falling apart.  At least this is a forward step.  Same is true with low income, I have no problem with a diverse ecomomic community, but I do have a problem with a "slum" and now we are seeing building after building redone and contributing to the betterment of the community.  So long as the people are law abiding (and the ones who are not will be arrested) they should have a right to live here as well.  

30 formerly homeless, severely mentally ill people
It never said fellons, although I am sure some are but if they are actively seeking help and keep out of trouble, then if someone wants to help them, let them.  Just fix the building.
If we expect things to remain exactly as they are, then everything will have to change.

Offline moonloop

• 665'-Queen City Square
« Reply #469 on: August 20, 2007, 04:20:03 PM »
I remember Nick Spencer(where did he go?) complained quite bit about Tender Mercies and their clients causing problems near his bar. I got the impression they aren't much better than the DIC. Just the sheer number of agencies in OTR has got to be discouraging.

Offline Michael L. Redmond

• The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.
  • 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #470 on: August 20, 2007, 04:28:31 PM »
I remember Nick Spencer(where did he go?) complained quite bit
You had me at "Nick Spencer complained quite a bit"

Bottom line is we are not adding anything, just an improvement in the structure that they are already in.
If we expect things to remain exactly as they are, then everything will have to change.

Offline Jskinner

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #471 on: August 20, 2007, 05:37:52 PM »
To me living in the city is largely about living near many many people who are different than me.  As long as it is safe and pleasant to walk the street, I certainly do not mind my children seeing a mentally ill person.  That is reality and they will be better for knowing it.

I know this building very well, and if they replicate an historic storefront it will be a big improvement on 12th, because then it will have more eyes on the street.  As it is now, it is concrete block and glass block.

Offline Maximillian

• 665'-Queen City Square
« Reply #472 on: August 20, 2007, 07:55:20 PM »
To me living in the city is largely about living near many many people who are different than me.

Totally agree! I get bored quick just about anywhere else in the city.  Give me Findlay Market on a Saturday morning everyday.

I know that Tender Mercies is not like a "citylink" or drop inn center.  I was playing devils advocate a little like I usually do  8-)

Offline The Nati Life

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #473 on: August 20, 2007, 11:40:07 PM »
I don't know.  I think we are missing the point here.  No matter how educated we are about Tender Mercies, or how little impact it actually makes, it doesn't make a difference.  The problem is PERCEPTION.

The perception of OTR is what needs to be changed if it is to ever pass the first phase of gentrification (the urban pioneers), which it is in currently.

Case in point: As far as Washington Park, I was just down there last week at about 6 PM and was harassed by a guy wanting money from me... as I opened the door to exit my car.  It didn't really bother me.  But that kind of interaction is what scares off those from outside the city or other more affluent neighborhoods... especially those from the 'burbs who don't have to deal with that.

Think of your typical suburbanite or higher-income city dweller.  Think of them considering moving to OTR.  Put yourself in their shoes as they exit their vehicle and are bothered by a panhandler... what kind of first impression is that?  How does that change their perception?  What story will they tell the next time they are sitting on Hyde Park Square having coffee with their friends?

Given the decision between historic buildings and diversity versus daily (whether perceived or real) panhandler nuisance, what will they choose?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 11:44:59 PM by The Nati Life »
"Those who govern, having much business on their hands, do not generally like to take the trouble of considering and carrying into execution new projects. The best public measures are therefore seldom adopted from previous wisdom, but forced by the occasion."
-Benjamin Franklin

Offline UncleRando

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Get on board!
« Reply #474 on: August 20, 2007, 11:49:16 PM »
Perception is a big deal...but this particular situation helps and hurts the perception of OTR.  It helps because it is cleaning up another run-down building (one less eye sore)...it also looks good when you see construction crews out and about working on buildings; it shows that investment is taking place...and the majority of these suburbanites (and others) won't know that this is for this particular purpose...ignorance is bliss.

On the other hand, if you do hear about it you think to yourself that it is yet another social service agency in OTR.  Most people, unfortunately, don't stop to think about the differences between a place that assists those who have mental issues with those places that house felons or attract 'undesirables.'

All in all, I don't think that this is a significant issue in either direction.

Offline edale

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #475 on: August 21, 2007, 11:31:40 AM »
I don't really understand the issue here.  Tender Mercies is not expanding, they are simply moving into a new buidling and fixing up and potentially saving another historic building in OTR.

Offline Maximillian

• 665'-Queen City Square
« Reply #476 on: August 21, 2007, 11:49:55 AM »
The Good-HVAC means the window air-conditioners will be gone and the restoration of the facade will be a vast improvement. The Bad-The building will be gutted and interior historical features will be lost or covered over.

Offline UncleRando

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Get on board!
« Reply #477 on: August 21, 2007, 07:17:12 PM »
Chatfield College opens doors at Findlay Market Campus this week
BY JESSIE GRIDLEY | DOWNTOWNER
August 21, 2007

OVER-THE-RHINE - Chatfield College's new Findlay Market campus is like a shiny new pair of shoes waiting to be worn in by its students.

The classrooms still smell like fresh paint and not a single cobweb lingers in the brightly lit corners. Students filed into Chatfield, adjacent to Findlay Market, this week for the new location's first fall semester.

For more information on Chatfield, visit www.chatfield.edu.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 09:34:32 PM by Sherman Cahal »

Offline Johio

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #478 on: August 22, 2007, 01:34:15 AM »
I don't know.  I think we are missing the point here.  No matter how educated we are about Tender Mercies, or how little impact it actually makes, it doesn't make a difference.  The problem is PERCEPTION.

Indeed...as the saying goes, perception is reality.

Now, personally, a situation with a panhandler isn't going to drive me off to much. It may annoy me but it is not something that would keep me from coming back (unless it turned into that one South Park episode). But I do think its a lot to ask a family with kids, especially small kids to put up with that. Not because I think kids should be shielded from the world but from just a safety and comfort point of view. If you want to teach your children about what it means to be blessed...take them to a soup kitchen or a shelter to volunteer.
Living in Ohio vicariously through UO.

Conservatives for Transit: http://www.amconmag.com/blog/keep-america-moving/

Offline Maximillian

• 665'-Queen City Square
« Reply #479 on: August 22, 2007, 12:49:51 PM »
I was walking down Mercer st OTR this morning and saw that 14 Mercer was for sale I didn't think much of it at first but then I realized after a few blocks away that this building is owned by CPS and is right where the Washington Park School was to be built a few years ago.  If this is for sale this is very good news! Maybe CPS  will liquidate the land and buildings?? I'll go by again tommorow it's too hot now. http://64.56.97.9/RoverDocuments/20030727OR085142JPG_med_000_B2E965B25FD4472F949B4A35B9137EA0_V_0.JPG

• aka grasscat
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • Building Cincinnati
« Reply #480 on: August 22, 2007, 03:04:39 PM »
The Good-HVAC means the window air-conditioners will be gone and the restoration of the facade will be a vast improvement. The Bad-The building will be gutted and interior historical features will be lost or covered over.

I would hope that they would try to save and re-use historical woodwork, etc. from the existing building.  I didn't ask Mr. Blaine about that specifically.  I don't even know the condition of the inside.  Perhaps that kind of stuff has been lost already.

Offline sfisher

• 367'-PNC Bank
    • BuyCincy
« Reply #481 on: August 22, 2007, 07:46:11 PM »
So, I was looking at the MidPoint Music Festival's site and saw 3 new bars listed on Main St.  Speakeasy at 1134 Main, q at 1142 Main, and Pizza Bar at 1207 Main.  Does anyone know if these are there to stay or if they are just temporary venues for the festival? 

Also, Jardin (the wine bar where Neon's used to be) is listed as a venue.  Hopefully they will finally be open and functioning, too.

Offline somewhereOTR

• 0'-Surface Lot
« Reply #482 on: August 22, 2007, 10:21:44 PM »
Last rumor I heard (as of last week) is that there will be 4-5 new venues opening on Main in the next few months.  One of which I heard was Lucy Blue moving into the Harry's space - maybe thats the Pizza Bar.

Offline xumelanie

• Premium Member
« Reply #483 on: August 22, 2007, 10:41:31 PM »
One of which I heard was Lucy Blue moving into the Harry's space

I've heard that one as well.

Offline sfisher

• 367'-PNC Bank
    • BuyCincy
« Reply #484 on: August 23, 2007, 01:25:30 AM »
Seems to be the right address for Harry's.  Good stuff!

• aka grasscat
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • Building Cincinnati
« Reply #485 on: August 25, 2007, 01:39:35 PM »
Urban Sites seeks tax credits for Main Street site
Building Cincinnati, 8/22/07

Urban Sites Properties has applied for Ohio Historic Preservation Tax Credits for its Courtyard project at 1417-1421 Main Street.

The tax credits, which are distributed by the Ohio Department of Development (ODOD), are equal to 25 percent of the owner's qualifying rehabilitation expenditures.*

ODOD and the Ohio Historic Preservation Office have deemed eligible $685,511 of the projected $945,513 project cost.**

Both buildings are in the Over-the-Rhine Historic District, one of 28 City districts listed in the National Register of Historic Places.

Units in the buildings will be loft-styled with stainless appliances, granite countertops and skylights. There will also be off-street parking and a common courtyard.

No details about the number of units or the pricing are available.

The upper floors were previously used as offices and storage. First floor tenant spaces are currently occupied by Mainly Art and Vintage Poster Bank.

Ohio Historic Preservation Tax Credits are issued throughout the year with only 100 tax credits issued during any one year period.

Statewide, there are 72 projects currently seeking credits.

View 12 interiors on the Urban Sites Properties website

WINDOWS LIVE BIRD'S EYE VIEW (looking west)
GOOGLE AERIAL MAP

* The credit can be claimed against the building owner's Ohio corporate franchise tax, personal income tax, or dealer-in-intangible tax liability.
** In other words, roughly $171,378 in tax credits.

http://buildingcincinnati.blogspot.com/2007/08/urban-sites-seeks-tax-credits-for-main.html

Offline Jskinner

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #486 on: August 27, 2007, 09:57:12 AM »
Has anyone on this board heard about the Freestore plan to demolish two OTR buildings for semi-trailer parking? 

http://www.citykin.com/2007/08/duck-regatta-to-fund-otr-demolition.html

Am I right to remember that this is part of the national historic district, but that it is not in the local historic district?

Offline cramer

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
« Reply #487 on: August 27, 2007, 10:34:51 AM »
It's in the local district. The demo permit was not approved by the Historic Conservation Board.

Online mcmicken

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
« Reply #488 on: August 27, 2007, 10:42:47 AM »
Has anyone on this board heard about the Freestore plan to demolish two OTR buildings for semi-trailer parking? 

http://www.citykin.com/2007/08/duck-regatta-to-fund-otr-demolition.html

Am I right to remember that this is part of the national historic district, but that it is not in the local historic district?

It is in the local district as well.  I don't know if you got my email, but they also want to tear down a couple of warehouse type buildings for even more surface parking:

The problem is that there is an exception in the zoning code that basically allows a non-profit to ignore historic designations and demolish any building they want if it doesn't fit their functional or economic program.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 10:44:01 AM by mcmicken »

Online mcmicken

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
« Reply #489 on: August 27, 2007, 10:48:12 AM »
It's in the local district. The demo permit was not approved by the Historic Conservation Board.

It was only submitted for a preliminary design review before HCB, which is only informational.  The HCB and the neighborhood was not keen on it, obviously.  They haven't actually submitted for a demolition permit yet, as far as I know.

Remove Ads