Author Topic: Cleveland: Natural History Museum Renovation and Expansion  (Read 16143 times)

Offline McCleveland

• blah
  • Global Moderator
Re: Cleveland: Natural History Museum Renovation and Expansion
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2008, 02:11:47 PM »
^^ done.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.  - Anonymous

Offline AJ93

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2008, 12:50:20 PM »
I took my kids to the museum a couple weeks ago and they loved it. They're 4 and 2, and I thought their heads were going to explode. They were going from display to display saying "ooh look at this...look at this"

That is, right up until the octogenarian working the front desk came over and shushed them.

Oh well. What I did notice was, outside of my wife and kids, the place was dominated by little cells of elementary school aged kids on school trips, looking devastatingly bored as additional octogenarians were lecturing them on whatever display they were in front of.

The place is a wonderful learning tool, but needs desperately to be upgraded to be more interactive, if they ever want to appeal to younger generations. I'd support , either financially or otherwise, whatever efforts they undertake.
Cleveland: Tell your dame it's the bee's knees! - 327

Offline math

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2008, 09:37:20 AM »
as a librarian, I am anti-shh.  I also dislike shushing of any kind. 

Offline MuRrAy HiLL

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2010, 11:01:26 AM »
And pending renovations/expansions from the Cleveland Museum of Natural History being guided by its new director:

Evalyn Gates takes helm at Cleveland Museum of Natural History as expansion plans gel
Published: Friday, July 09, 2010, 4:00 AM   
 John Mangels, The Plain Dealer

CLEVELAND, Ohio — In the cool hush of the Cleveland Museum of Natural History's "rare book room," a wood-paneled nook overseen by lifelike statues of water buffalo, giraffes and other exotic animals, Evalyn Gates is brainstorming.

A major traveling exhibit on climate change is coming, and though it won't arrive until next summer, the museum's new executive director thinks a year isn't too early for her staff to start thinking about how to improve it for Cleveland audiences. Perched on the edge of her chair at the head of a long conference table, Gates gently prods a half-dozen division heads for suggestions.

In its 90th year, the venerable institution is at a pivotal moment, poised for a top-to-bottom makeover of its exhibits and an expansion of its Wade Oval campus.

The changes, which will take years and could cost $30-50 million or more, are the most significant in the museum's long history. At completion, its sleek, modern facade will be sheathed in limestone and glass, shedding the stodgy "dentist office" look that has suffered in comparison to the renovated Cleveland Museum of Art just down the road.

In keeping with the project's focus on sustainability, the building's re-design will include storm water recycling, energy-efficient heating and cooling, and a new parking deck with a plant-covered "green" roof and outlets for electric cars to recharge.

http://www.cleveland.com/science/index.ssf/2010/07/gates_takes_helm_at_cleveland.html
“Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood. " -- Daniel Burnham

Offline ClevelandOhio

• Premium Member
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2012, 03:15:47 PM »
This should be taken out of Complete Projects.

Peter Anagnostos will head the $50 million-plus campaign to expand and renovate the Cleveland Museum of Natural History

The Cleveland Museum of Natural History never abandoned plans for an ambitious expansion and renovation during the 2008 recession. Instead it slowed the project until the economic climate improved.

Now, after four years and the appointment of a new director, particle physicist Evalyn Gates, the museum is jumping back into the highly competitive world of raising big bucks for a big cultural project in University Circle.

That’s why it’s announcing it has hired veteran fundraiser Peter Anagnostos of Shaker Heights to head a capital campaign that could run $50 million or higher.

http://blog.cleveland.com/architecture/2012/06/peter_anagnostos_will_head_the.html

Offline Whipjacka

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2012, 03:41:06 PM »
good. the natural history museum is the weak link in university circle and needs a major upgrade
"got this thang licked like stamps and 9 volt battery end caps"~Big Boi

Offline MuRrAy HiLL

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2012, 03:55:53 PM »
Former museum director Bruce Latimer once called the building’s main entrance a "brown hole," and said "it sucks all the energy out of you."

I agree with this 110%.

I think a "Welcome to Jurassic Park" gateway entrance or equivalent is in order.
“Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood. " -- Daniel Burnham

Offline Firenze98

• 665'-Queen City Square
Re: Cleveland: University Circle Developments (General)
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2015, 01:41:28 PM »
First look: Cleveland Museum of Natural History $150 million expansion plan to commence in spring

CLEVELAND, Ohio - After nearly a decade of planning, design and redesign, the Cleveland Museum of Natural History will begin construction this spring on the first part of a five-year, three-phase, $150 million expansion and renovation.

The project is aimed at giving the nationally respected institution a sustainable, light-filled, high-tech home better suited to its mission and collections than the dowdy, architecturally dull, midcentury complex it occupies on Wade Oval, where it has grown through accretion since 1958.

"I think it's going to completely transform the experience of all of our visitors," Evalyn Gates, the museum's director since 2010, said of the expansion project in an interview Thursday.

"It will play a leading role on a national level in terms of what natural history museums can and should do for the public and the understanding of science."

Gates said about a third of the total project cost has been raised so far, (up from $39 million last year) and that the museum has cash in hand to start the $20 million first phase, which includes construction of a 300-space parking garage off East Boulevard on the north side of the complex and a new Perkins Wildlife Center on its south side, off Jeptha Drive.

The cost of the project will be $25 million more than estimated three years ago.

Designed by the nationally respected Denver architecture firm of Fentress Architects, with a team of consultants on exhibits, sustainability and other specialties, the project will involve tearing down about a fifth of the museum's existing, 230,000-square-foot complex, and then rebuilding and expanding the footprint.

http://www.cleveland.com/architecture/index.ssf/2015/02/first_look_cleveland_museum_of.html#incart_m-rpt-1
"All architecture is shelter, all great architecture is the design of space that contains, cuddles, exhalts or stimulates the persons in that space."
Philip Johnson

“Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes!”  
Leonardo da Vinci

AIA, LEED BD+C, EDAC

Offline surfohio

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • Out of Place: a portrait of surfing in Cleveland, Ohio
Re: Re: Cleveland: University Circle Developments (General)
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2015, 02:02:08 PM »
^ Wow this looks really great. The landscaping plan looks very well thought out.

Online mrclifton88

• 771'-Terminal Tower
Re: Re: Cleveland: University Circle Developments (General)
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2015, 02:12:09 PM »
This is really impressive... Way beyond any of the renderings we had seen previously. I think it's going to be great!

Offline MayDay

• Administrator
  • The HBIC from the CLE
    • Cleveland Skyscrapers
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2015, 07:14:39 AM »
Moved this thread out of 'Completed Projects' from when the renovations were underway - now it's on to the expansion! :-)

Offline gotribe

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2015, 08:48:40 AM »
Wow!  I never heard a peep about this project.  The long term expansion reminds me of the art museums undertaking from 2006 to 2012.  This is great!

Offline CBC

• Just a Gigalo in the "Real Housewives of Cleveland!"
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2015, 09:30:08 AM »
I am pretty impressed. I just hope the bobcats use the sky tunnels. That will be awesome.

If I were a color, I'd be bitter brown. As in Cleveland Browns fan bitter....

Offline McLovin

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2015, 09:38:55 AM »
Very nice, now lets see if they deliver design wise on that 300 space parking garage.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2015, 01:55:29 PM »
MANY more graphics here:
http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/drcagenda/2015/03202015/index.php

City Planning Commission
Agenda for March 20, 2015

C2015-004 – Cleveland Natural History Museum New Construction: Seeking Schematic Design Approval for Perkins Wildlife Center and Conceptual Approval for Phase 1 of the Entire Project
Project Address: 1 Wade Oval Drive
Project Representative: Laura Rees, AECOM

"If you don't start somewhere, you're gonna go nowhere."--Bob Marley

Offline surfohio

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • Out of Place: a portrait of surfing in Cleveland, Ohio
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2015, 08:45:47 PM »
^ Where will they put my beloved Stegosaurus?

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2015, 08:48:11 PM »
^ Where will they put my beloved Stegosaurus?

Second graphic, labeled "steggie".

EDIT: steggie has been there since I was a little kid and in my dinosaur phase. Of course, I'm old enough that my "dinosaur phase" involved running from the carnivores and hunting the herbivores! :)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 08:49:42 PM by KJP »

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2015, 12:59:12 PM »
Steven Litt ‏@steven_litt  3m3 minutes ago
Despite qualms, @goCMNH expansion plans wins design review approval: http://bit.ly/1HxANDk  @inthecircle

Offline MuRrAy HiLL

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa

Offline MuRrAy HiLL

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2015, 02:22:26 AM »
Cleveland Museum of Natural History breaks ground on $20M Phase I of $150M expansion

Steven Litt, The Plain Dealer

CLEVELAND, Ohio – Wearing white hard hats, dignitaries including Cleveland Mayor Frank Jackson dipped shiny shovels into a trough of mulch on Monday and officially "broke ground" on the $20 million first phase of the Cleveland Museum of Natural History's expansion and renovation.

Scheduled for completion in 2020, the year of the museum's centennial, the project will cost $150 million, of which $50 million has been raised so far.

The first phase of the project will involve moving the museum's Perkins Wildlife Center from the north side of the institution's complex to a wooded hillside on the south side along Jeptha Drive.

http://www.cleveland.com/architecture/index.ssf/2015/06/cleveland_museum_of_natural_hi_2.html

Offline SixthCity

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2015, 12:07:24 PM »
EUCLID CORRIDOR DESIGN REVIEW
EC2015-028 – Cleveland Museum of Natural History Parking Garage New Construction: Seeking Final Approval
Project Address: 1 Wade Oval Drive
Project Representatives: Chris Kaczmar, Kaczmar Architects
Dave Kaplan, Kaczmar Architects
Bill Mason, AECOM
Sonia Jakse-Barone, AECOM
The above project was Tabled by the Design Review Committee on 9/17/15 and Withdrawn for this meeting.

http://planning.city.cleveland.oh.us/designreview/drcagenda/2015/09182015/index.php
"A MONUMENT CONCEIVED AS A TRIBUTE TO THE IDEALS OF CLEVELAND, BUILDED BY HER CITIZENS AND DEDICATED TO SOCIAL PROGRESS, INDUSTRIAL ACHIEVEMENTS AND CIVIC INTEREST"

Offline musky

• SPRAWL KILLS !!!
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Where there is no vision, the people perish.
    • Cleveland vs. The World
« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2015, 01:57:28 PM »

The above project was Tabled by the Design Review Committee on 9/17/15 and Withdrawn for this meeting.

Just in case you missed that on the bottom
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 01:57:41 PM by musky »

Online Hts121

• UO Supporting Member
  • It's still just like your opinion, man
« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2015, 02:08:04 PM »
^It was only for the parking garage, not the entire project, as I read it.
Your true friends will help you up when someone knocks you down.  Your best friend will say "Stay down, I got this."

Offline musky

• SPRAWL KILLS !!!
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2015, 02:19:14 PM »
Same here. I'm just guessing no action was taken.
Regardless, the plans are posted. I like that they are proposing a solar panel/roof system for the garage

Offline Dumbledore

• 1450'-Willis Tower
  • nous ne sommes pas manipulable
« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2015, 06:34:40 PM »

only clearing of land, but the leveling of the woods sure opens up thhe area to 105 and also East blvd (by the WRHS)

"You guys have gotta try the cold Chai"

Offline MuRrAy HiLL

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2015, 04:18:48 PM »
New video: 

Offline Dumbledore

• 1450'-Willis Tower
  • nous ne sommes pas manipulable
« Reply #61 on: June 13, 2016, 06:35:54 PM »

"You guys have gotta try the cold Chai"

Offline musky

• SPRAWL KILLS !!!
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #62 on: June 14, 2016, 11:23:42 AM »
I drove by there last week and was quite surprised at the progress. Very nice to see the pachyderms out in the light again.
And what's the roller coaster about???

Offline audidave

• 629'-Rhodes State Tower
  • Akron skyline
« Reply #63 on: June 14, 2016, 11:29:59 AM »
I thought that was a coaster as well and researched further. Its just an elevated walkway.

Offline musky

• SPRAWL KILLS !!!
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #64 on: June 14, 2016, 12:24:47 PM »
Dang!!!!

Offline musky

• SPRAWL KILLS !!!
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2016, 12:47:30 PM »
We stopped by the Museum at this past week's Wade Oval Wednesday and got a glimpse of the model as well as current progress. This is going to be so sweet when finished in 2020.

Offline MuRrAy HiLL

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #66 on: August 11, 2016, 06:39:11 PM »
New Perkins Wildlife Center Grand Opening
Grand Opening Weekend Saturday, September 3-Monday, September 5
Posted: August 01, 2016

The Cleveland Museum of Natural History is proud to announce the grand opening of the all-new Ralph Perkins II Wildlife Center & Woods Garden — Presented by KeyBank. The first addition to the Museum from its Centennial Transformation Project opens to the public Labor Day Weekend.

Museum guests can experience Perkins Wildlife Center free with general admission, though timed ticket reservations are required during Grand Opening Weekend Saturday, September 3 through Monday, September 5. The Museum and Perkins will be open from 10am-5pm all three days.

https://www.cmnh.org/announcements/perkins-grand-opening-weekend

Remove Ads