Author Topic: Cleveland: Uptown (UARD) in University Circle  (Read 306988 times)

Offline clvlndr

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
Re: Cleveland: Uptown (UARD) in University Circle
« Reply #1645 on: September 27, 2014, 12:19:21 PM »
^You sure that's a rendering?  The dorm portion of Phase II opened with CIA in August.

Yeah, I feel as though that particular pic is a rendering.

You may be right; it looks like a rendering, although photogs do a lot of funky things digitally with photos nowadays so it's often not easy to tell what's real and what's not... I do know, though, that the CIA kids have already moved into the Phase II dorms ... which led me to believe the photo is real... but maybe it's not.

Online McLovin

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #1646 on: September 27, 2014, 03:46:38 PM »
^You sure that's a rendering?  The dorm portion of Phase II opened with CIA in August.

Yeah, I feel as though that particular pic is a rendering.

You may be right; it looks like a rendering, although photogs do a lot of funky things digitally with photos nowadays so it's often not easy to tell what's real and what's not... I do know, though, that the CIA kids have already moved into the Phase II dorms ... which led me to believe the photo is real... but maybe it's not.
That is exactly what that is, a photograph that has been redone.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #1647 on: October 06, 2014, 06:18:49 PM »
@FreshWaterCLE two new restaurants will expand indian, asian options in uptown district http://t.co/JDQRHNr5V1
LIBERAL: Someone willing to pay taxes for their country but not to die for their country.
CONSERVATIVE: Someone willing to die for their country but not to pay taxes for their country.

Offline Dumbledore

• 1450'-Willis Tower
  • 8 glasses of asteroid juice a day.
« Reply #1648 on: October 23, 2014, 06:40:14 PM »
awesome about the new restaurants

new signage is up at Uptown

fka Clueless

Offline deanhorn

• 367'-PNC Bank
« Reply #1649 on: October 23, 2014, 07:49:37 PM »
Nice pictures - very impressive development.

But, it should be called the rounded alley.

Offline MyTwoSense

• 40+ and Fly
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • back with a vengeance!
« Reply #1650 on: October 25, 2014, 09:31:50 AM »
Nice pictures - very impressive development.

But, it should be called the rounded alley.
It's on the corner andc calling it another name, would confuse consumers and that would detract from their brand
my 2 ˘     Please Sell Crazy Someplace Else....We Have Excess Inventory Here!!

Offline Whipjacka

• 665'-Queen City Square
« Reply #1651 on: October 25, 2014, 02:56:47 PM »
Yeah, dean! sheesh.
"got this thang licked like stamps and 9 volt battery end caps"~Big Boi

Offline clvlndr

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #1652 on: October 25, 2014, 05:09:04 PM »
^Dusting off my ball and shoes for the new CA.  Can't wait.

Offline MuRrAy HiLL

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #1653 on: November 12, 2014, 05:46:45 PM »
“Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood. " -- Daniel Burnham

Online freethink

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #1654 on: December 28, 2014, 10:23:42 AM »
Uptown has received an 2014 TOD Best Practices score from The Institute for Transportation and Development Policy. Now, I just learned about them 5 minutes ago and from what I can tell they are a lobbying group for BRT. But it puts Uptown on the map regarding TOD.
https://www.itdp.org/library/standards-and-guides/transit-oriented-development-are-you-on-the-map/best-practices/
live small  dream big

Online SixthCity

• 665'-Queen City Square
« Reply #1655 on: February 06, 2015, 10:41:27 AM »
Cleveland's Uptown development named a finalist for prestigious Rudy Bruner Award

CLEVELAND, Ohio - The Rudy Bruner Foundation, based in Cambridge, Mass., announced that Cleveland's acclaimed Uptown development is one of five finalists for the 2015 Rudy Bruner Award for Urban Excellence.

The biennial award, established in 1987, has sought "to identify transformative urban places in America and to celebrate their impact on the economic, social, and physical fabric of our cities."

http://www.cleveland.com/architecture/index.ssf/2015/02/clevelands_uptown_development.html#incart_river
"A MONUMENT CONCEIVED AS A TRIBUTE TO THE IDEALS OF CLEVELAND, BUILDED BY HER CITIZENS AND DEDICATED TO SOCIAL PROGRESS, INDUSTRIAL ACHIEVEMENTS AND CIVIC INTEREST"

Offline TPH2

• 665'-Queen City Square
  • Cleveland Boomerang via Washington, DC
    • Twitter
« Reply #1656 on: February 20, 2015, 01:52:21 PM »
Dynomite Burgers expanding, with Uptown location opening in spring, adding sushi, indoor dining

"CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Restaurateur Zack Bruell will add a second Dynomite location to his portfolio of restaurants this spring. Bruell says he'll open Dynomite Burgers-Sushi in Cleveland's Uptown development.

It will open in a space adjacent to the entrance of the new Cleveland Institute of Art expansion in Uptown..."

http://www.cleveland.com/dining/index.ssf/2015/02/dynomite_burgers_expanding_wit.html
Progress and Prosperity

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #1657 on: April 16, 2015, 08:56:26 PM »
Another phase? Horrible rendering artistry-wise, but great to see the street presence coming to this corner of the intersection...

http://www.passovgroup.com/listings/cleveland-euclid-115-block-redevelopment/

LIBERAL: Someone willing to pay taxes for their country but not to die for their country.
CONSERVATIVE: Someone willing to die for their country but not to pay taxes for their country.

Online SixthCity

• 665'-Queen City Square
« Reply #1658 on: April 16, 2015, 09:05:28 PM »
Hmmmm, I was at the CPC meeting last year when Russell Berusch presented his plans for plans for that corner.  It was much more inspiring than that rendering - a tower matching the height of 115 Euclid.  But then I heard Case had an option on the property and they had their own idea of what should go there - never found out what that was.
"A MONUMENT CONCEIVED AS A TRIBUTE TO THE IDEALS OF CLEVELAND, BUILDED BY HER CITIZENS AND DEDICATED TO SOCIAL PROGRESS, INDUSTRIAL ACHIEVEMENTS AND CIVIC INTEREST"

Offline 3231

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1659 on: April 16, 2015, 10:16:09 PM »
That's pretty ridiculous that they are only proposing retail. All the major players are separately stating that the area needs more residents and that the retail is not thriving due to the lack of residential on Euclid.

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Defender Of The Sprawl.
« Reply #1660 on: April 17, 2015, 07:56:03 AM »
That's pretty ridiculous that they are only proposing retail. All the major players are separately stating that the area needs more residents and that the retail is not thriving due to the lack of residential on Euclid.

Unless they are putting their money where their mouth is, it's just talk. 

It's one thing for random people to say "somebody ought to....",but when investors do,they should include the word "else" in there.

Which means it wouldn't be very profitable.
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.  Those who can are condemned to get pist off watching the forgetful repeat it.

Offline Urbanophile

• 574'-Carew Tower
« Reply #1661 on: April 17, 2015, 09:42:21 AM »
^ Considering the rate of Uptown's rents, and the continued growth of CWRU, I don't see any reason why apartments on that site wouldn't be profitable.

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #1662 on: April 17, 2015, 12:33:24 PM »
^ Considering the rate of Uptown's rents, and the continued growth of CWRU, I don't see any reason why apartments on that site wouldn't be profitable.

I hear you, but I don't see why none of the major players aren't proposing them themselves if that's the case.
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.  Those who can are condemned to get pist off watching the forgetful repeat it.

Offline X

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1663 on: April 17, 2015, 01:16:20 PM »
My guess is they'd have to do structured parking, elevators, and more expensive mid/high rise style structural work to make apartments work in a small site like that.  All of which makes for very high rents.  Unless they make a very tall building, they won't make much money for all the trouble and expense.

Offline Confiteordeo

• 665'-Queen City Square
  • It's Britney, b*tch!
« Reply #1664 on: April 17, 2015, 02:40:40 PM »
My guess is they'd have to do structured parking, elevators, and more expensive mid/high rise style structural work to make apartments work in a small site like that.  All of which makes for very high rents.  Unless they make a very tall building, they won't make much money for all the trouble and expense.

Not sure how much of the overall cost they would account for, but since they show a second level in the rendering, doesn't it seem like they're already putting in elevators?
Progress and prosperity.

Offline Pugu

• Swimming the Cuyahoga
  • 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #1665 on: April 18, 2015, 01:44:01 PM »
Even a five story apt building would be better and you don't need an elevator for 5-6 stories.

Offline E Rocc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #1666 on: April 20, 2015, 07:12:06 AM »
Even a five story apt building would be better and you don't need an elevator for 5-6 stories.

In this era of ADA, I suspect you might.

Offline Mov2Ohio

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #1667 on: April 20, 2015, 07:32:55 AM »

In this era of ADA, I suspect you might.

Yea, in new construction its a code requirement.
Without change, progress is impossible.

Offline Pugu

• Swimming the Cuyahoga
  • 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #1668 on: April 20, 2015, 09:32:34 AM »
^That's really prohibitive for builders.  What does the code say, it is by stories or number of units per floor? How about for hotels or office bldgs? Also is this ADA or City of Cleveland code?

Offline FrqntFlyr

• Premium Member
« Reply #1669 on: April 20, 2015, 10:44:46 AM »
^That's really prohibitive for builders.  What does the code say, it is by stories or number of units per floor? How about for hotels or office bldgs? Also is this ADA or City of Cleveland code?

I'm also curious what code this is codified in.  I've seen quite a few new-build 4-5 story walk-ups in Chicago recently.

Offline Hootenany

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #1670 on: April 20, 2015, 11:10:38 AM »
^"(2) This section does not require the installation of an elevator in a facility that is less than three stories or has less than 3000 square feet per story, except with respect to any facility that houses one or more of the following:"

From section 36.401

http://www.ada.gov/regs2010/2010ADAStandards/2010ADAstandards.htm#401d
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 11:12:46 AM by Hootenany »

Offline StrapHanger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #1671 on: April 20, 2015, 11:31:02 AM »
Pretty sure the ADA doesn't apply to purely residential construction. Any requirement in an apartment building would be from state or local codes.
"Cleveland, as you see, is not an apple, but a bunch of grapes each of which has its own particular pattern-some large, others small, some round, others long and narrow, some sweet, others sour, some sound, others rotten throughout."  -Howard Whipple Green, 1932

Offline mrnyc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • friends of the highline
« Reply #1672 on: April 20, 2015, 12:16:36 PM »
Pretty sure the ADA doesn't apply to purely residential construction. Any requirement in an apartment building would be from state or local codes.

yes the ada does not apply, but the fair housing act does:

The Fair Housing Act, as amended in 1988, prohibits housing discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, disability, familial status, and national origin. Its coverage includes private housing, housing that receives Federal financial assistance, and State and local government housing. It is unlawful to discriminate in any aspect of selling or renting housing or to deny a dwelling to a buyer or renter because of the disability of that individual, an individual associated with the buyer or renter, or an individual who intends to live in the residence. Other covered activities include, for example, financing, zoning practices, new construction design, and advertising.

The Fair Housing Act requires owners of housing facilities to make reasonable exceptions in their policies and operations to afford people with disabilities equal housing opportunities. For example, a landlord with a "no pets" policy may be required to grant an exception to this rule and allow an individual who is blind to keep a guide dog in the residence. The Fair Housing Act also requires landlords to allow tenants with disabilities to make reasonable access-related modifications to their private living space, as well as to common use spaces. (The landlord is not required to pay for the changes.) The Act further requires that new multifamily housing with four or more units be designed and built to allow access for persons with disabilities. This includes accessible common use areas, doors that are wide enough for wheelchairs, kitchens and bathrooms that allow a person using a wheelchair to maneuver, and other adaptable features within the units.
"That whole rural thing. It's a joke." Ed Koch

Offline StrapHanger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #1673 on: April 20, 2015, 07:32:58 PM »
^Yeah, good point. 

No doubt the developer here has his reasons and his architects/builders know the law, so we should probably just wait to see an actual proposal come before design review before we fret too much.
"Cleveland, as you see, is not an apple, but a bunch of grapes each of which has its own particular pattern-some large, others small, some round, others long and narrow, some sweet, others sour, some sound, others rotten throughout."  -Howard Whipple Green, 1932

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #1674 on: June 27, 2015, 10:11:05 PM »
It never ceases to amaze me the transformation this area has undergone in the last 5-10 years....

« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 10:11:48 PM by KJP »

Offline Jax

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #1675 on: June 28, 2015, 09:32:26 PM »
Does anyone know when the Inchin Bamboo Garden restaurant is going to open?

Offline TPH2

• 665'-Queen City Square
  • Cleveland Boomerang via Washington, DC
    • Twitter
« Reply #1676 on: June 28, 2015, 09:34:50 PM »
Does anyone know when the Inchin Bamboo Garden restaurant is going to open?

That was supposed to open in January, it's still not open?? (Been a little while since Ive been to Uptown)
Progress and Prosperity

Offline Jax

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #1677 on: June 29, 2015, 06:57:54 AM »
Not as of a month or two when I last checked and the location still not listed on their website

Remove Ads