Remove Ads

Author Topic: Akron: Future Downtown Hotel  (Read 16297 times)

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
Re: Akron: Future Downtown Hotel
« Reply #70 on: July 16, 2013, 07:09:22 AM »
Well its not huge.  160 rooms. $40 mil.
http://akronnewsnow.com/news/local/item/95594-new-hotel-planned-for-akrons-greystone-hall

This is never good...
"Developers today said they are still working to secure funding for the $40 million dollar project."

I'm hoping this is a much bigger deal than we think... At least it should be.

What I'm hoping for is the Greystone turn into more of the hotel meeting/rec space while a new building is built adjacent to it that would hold the rooms. I just can't imagine how the Greystone can be turned into a viable hotel. Also, they better be announcing a national brand to be running this.

That's exactly what they are planning. The rendering is a bit confusing though.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 07:11:31 AM by yanni_gogolak »

Offline uastudent12

• 408'-Kettering Tower
    • Andrew Smith Photography
« Reply #71 on: July 16, 2013, 07:12:37 AM »
 Nope...Just like the last few times they tried to build a hotel downtown. I don't know why they keep doing that.  It's so frustrating..  :x
"Be the change you wish to see"

Offline uastudent12

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #72 on: July 16, 2013, 07:38:42 AM »
More photos. I have mixed emotions on the design...

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #73 on: July 16, 2013, 08:08:06 AM »
/\/\/\ And those are showing the long term goal of expanding over to where the church is now. That may or may not even happen.

Well its not huge.  160 rooms. $40 mil.
http://akronnewsnow.com/news/local/item/95594-new-hotel-planned-for-akrons-greystone-hall

The new Aloft in the Flats East Bank is only 150.

Offline uastudent12

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #74 on: July 16, 2013, 08:45:50 AM »
I don't think that's their long term vision. I think that's the overall vision. Right? Without expanding over to the church they don't have a hotel..Only the Greystone, that they plan on turning into conference rooms and recreation spaces. I think the design of the two buildings clash. And I'm sick of all new construction in Akron being built from red brick. Can't we design with new elements to give a look of diversity?

Online jeremyck01

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
« Reply #75 on: July 16, 2013, 09:04:19 AM »
^Most people complain that they want brick instead of siding and you're complaining that there is too much brick.  Impossible to please everybody.  I'm not crazy about the design, but I like the renovation of the Greystone.  Akron needs this.

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #76 on: July 16, 2013, 09:14:11 AM »
I don't think that's their long term vision. I think that's the overall vision. Right? Without expanding over to the church they don't have a hotel..Only the Greystone, that they plan on turning into conference rooms and recreation spaces. I think the design of the two buildings clash. And I'm sick of all new construction in Akron being built from red brick. Can't we design with new elements to give a look of diversity?

They have an animation of the project now on the Beacon website and it shows the church still intact. I am surprised that they can fit all of that on the site.

Offline uastudent12

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #77 on: July 16, 2013, 10:13:07 AM »
^Most people complain that they want brick instead of siding and you're complaining that there is too much brick.  Impossible to please everybody.  I'm not crazy about the design, but I like the renovation of the Greystone.  Akron needs this.

I'm saying to red brick is getting old...Canal park, all of U of A's new buildings and residence halls, the football stadium, the hospitals, the First Energy and Erst and Young towers...etc... I know Akron needs this, but what I'm saying is start caring about good design. Cleveland seems to know what this is about with all the unique buildings that are being build up there.

Offline uastudent12

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #78 on: July 16, 2013, 10:18:00 AM »

They have an animation of the project now on the Beacon website and it shows the church still intact. I am surprised that they can fit all of that on the site.

That animation made me dizzy...Yeah it doesn't seem like a big enough space for all of that. I'm not holding my breath this actually happens.

Online audidave

• 574'-Carew Tower
  • Akron skyline
« Reply #79 on: July 16, 2013, 03:18:02 PM »
I'm going to agree, this is fairly uninspiring. I don't feel there needed to be a super inpressive facility attached to the greystone, just not one so blah. It looks very utilitarian. I would think a hampton inn style would suffice. With a potential marriott at northside and who knows what going on at the mayflower this plan could easily be a mere memory very soon.

Offline urbanpreppie05

• 367'-PNC Bank
« Reply #80 on: July 17, 2013, 03:28:02 AM »
Granted, it is uninspiring.

At the same time, let's look at the postives:
-utilizes Greystone Hall
-the design of the hotel would easily allow for a brand to come in
-right next to the convention center

At this point, I just want to SEE something get done. This one done. Northside Marriott Courtyard. Mayflower Conversion. Even a proper City Center renovation. SOMETHING.

Online Gramarye

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #81 on: July 17, 2013, 08:15:10 AM »

I think there's a lot to be said for common thematic elements, too.  And also for not micromanaging superficialities.  Though I admit I don't see what the exterior image problem would be with Greystone's existing, erm, grey stones, if those could be incorporated in.

Offline 327

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Fascinating
« Reply #82 on: July 17, 2013, 08:27:40 AM »
I'm a brick enthusiast, but that design looks more like a hospital than a hotel.

Offline uastudent12

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #83 on: July 17, 2013, 01:27:02 PM »
I don't mind brick either... I'm just saying from the rendering it looks like the exact shade red brick that they're covering every new building in Akron with. It looks way too plain, and there are no significant elements in the design that make me say wow. I'm not saying it has to be a world renowned design. Look for example at the new Marriott Courtyard hotel built in University Circle in Cleveland. It used two colors of brick and a modern looking siding.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 01:27:56 PM by uastudent12 »

Online audidave

• 574'-Carew Tower
  • Akron skyline
« Reply #84 on: March 24, 2014, 03:34:50 PM »
Not many details yet. I heard that bids were being selected last Friday for the Marriott hotel at Northside to start construction.  Probably should be seeing a story in the Beacon Journal in the next couple weeks with hopefully updated pics.

Offline KJP

• Global Moderator
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #85 on: March 24, 2014, 04:01:24 PM »
Not many details yet. I heard that bids were being selected last Friday for the Marriott hotel at Northside to start construction.  Probably should be seeing a story in the Beacon Journal in the next couple weeks with hopefully updated pics.

Finally! Thanks
"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts... for support rather than illumination." ~Andrew Lang

Offline uastudent12

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #86 on: March 24, 2014, 04:10:52 PM »

Oh thank you! I would much rather have this then the bland design of the "Akron Hotel" they had planned to connect to Greystone Hall!