Author Topic: Cleveland: MOCA  (Read 98669 times)

Offline Hootenany

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
Re: Cleveland: MOCA
« Reply #490 on: December 04, 2012, 10:39:02 AM »
Just read the post.  She obviously updated it because I couldn't find much wrong with it.

Found this note at the bottom:  Update, December 4: An earlier version of this story said that Cleveland was not a culture destination though it has a long history with the arts and some world-class cultural institutions such as the Cleveland Orchestra. The story has been updated, and the writer regrets the tone of the initial version of this piece.

Offline StrapHanger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #491 on: December 04, 2012, 11:15:21 AM »
Meh, the post is better now, but I still think these kinds of pieces are silly fluff.  It's awesome to review the building as a work of architecture and art destination, but she totally whiffs at the context.  Countless midsized cities hire fledgling or full-flung starchitects to design contemporary art spaces.  Just look at Cinci, Columbus, Denver, Kansas City, St. Louis, etc. This isn't to take away from the Cleveland MOCA, but this building does not have some kind of bigger meaning about the city moving on from its problems or differentiate itself, IMHO.  It stinks, because pointing these things out often makes us sound defensive, but I'm just amazed how people so clearly untraveled or otherwise ignorant about national architectural or museum trends can get work like this posted.  Then again, I have no idea how prominent a site SmartPlanet is, so it's possible we're just picking on some low level amateur post.  In which case I feel kind of guilty.
"Cleveland, as you see, is not an apple, but a bunch of grapes each of which has its own particular pattern-some large, others small, some round, others long and narrow, some sweet, others sour, some sound, others rotten throughout."  -Howard Whipple Green, 1932

Offline inlovewithCLE

• 574'-Carew Tower
« Reply #492 on: December 04, 2012, 11:27:54 AM »
You NEED the fluff pieces though, as long as they're positive. Can't overlook that. That's part of changing the image of Cleveland. (Something we don't pay as much attention to as we should.) We need "sexy". Don't ignore the "sexy", people!   8-) So, although fluff pieces may not be your thing (and I, like you, don't know how big this particular site is), things like this do influence people who's only exposure to Cleveland is from the handful of times our sports teams are on national TV. Don't sleep on it. Its important. Image matters in 21st century America.

Offline willyboy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Clevelander back in Cleveland
    • National Trust for Historic Preservation
« Reply #493 on: December 04, 2012, 12:34:35 PM »
I wasn't offended by the article. She meant well. But yeah, the orchestra, art museum and Cinematheque are all very much on the national radar already.

Yes, yes Cleveland is well known for its stellar arts and cultural institutions (especially when you consider its size) but anybody that has any familiarity of the area also knows how large an extent or role that the local arts culture plays here.  I have lived in many places, and none have quite matched at the level that Cleveland has in this regard.

Also, most people recognize that importance and role as one of the only places that publically funds their arts organizations and groups.     
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 12:45:34 PM by willyboy »
The National Trust for Historic Preservation http://www.preservationnation.org/  Become a member!

Offline mrnyc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • friends of the highline
« Reply #494 on: December 04, 2012, 01:52:27 PM »
this is anecdotal, but i keep hearing about some opening gala where the whole art world desended or will descend on cleveland for moca. not sure if it happened or will happen? anyone know??

anyway, cleveland's moca is definitely in the zeitgeist and is the talk amongst the ny art world folks these days. something to try to keep capitalizing on for sure.
"That whole rural thing. It's a joke." Ed Koch

Offline bjk

• 468'-Scripps Center
    • BJK Research LLC
« Reply #495 on: December 04, 2012, 02:29:09 PM »
By the way, if you buy the Ambassador-level ($125) membership at the Cleveland Museum of Art, you get reciprocal admission at MOCA.

Offline bluemeanie

• 367'-PNC Bank
« Reply #496 on: December 04, 2012, 02:32:13 PM »
The opening gala, mrnyc, was the weekend of October 6th. Through #hashtags on twitter and instagram, I was pretty surprised to discover the art world (nyc/LA) did, in fact, focus on Cleveland for MOCA's opening. Private tours of CMA and the Progressive Collection were also given that weekend to visitors. MOCA did make quite a splash. I've been twice(having never been to the old museum) and am in love with it.

Offline musky

• SPRAWL KILLS !!!
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Where there is no vision, the people perish.
    • Cleveland vs. The World
« Reply #497 on: December 04, 2012, 03:54:55 PM »
By the way, if you buy the Ambassador-level ($125) membership at the Cleveland Museum of Art, you get reciprocal admission at MOCA.

Ooooooo, that's good to know. My lady and I are thinking about which cultural venue to become a member of for the time being as the kids have outgrown the Science Center and such

Offline willyboy

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Clevelander back in Cleveland
    • National Trust for Historic Preservation
« Reply #498 on: December 04, 2012, 03:59:23 PM »

Ooooooo, that's good to know. My lady and I are thinking about which cultural venue to become a member of for the time being as the kids have outgrown the Science Center and such

Yes good to know, although TBideon and CLE618 would hate that!
The National Trust for Historic Preservation http://www.preservationnation.org/  Become a member!

Offline mrnyc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #499 on: December 06, 2012, 09:47:43 AM »
The opening gala, mrnyc, was the weekend of October 6th. Through #hashtags on twitter and instagram, I was pretty surprised to discover the art world (nyc/LA) did, in fact, focus on Cleveland for MOCA's opening. Private tours of CMA and the Progressive Collection were also given that weekend to visitors. MOCA did make quite a splash. I've been twice(having never been to the old museum) and am in love with it.

ah so it happened, the opening was the event -- thank you. i guess i am still hearing the positive fallout from my artworld pals -- and its good to hear!

Offline CLE618

• 408'-Kettering Tower
Cleveland: MOCA
« Reply #500 on: December 06, 2012, 06:13:10 PM »

Yes good to know, although TBideon and CLE618 would hate that!
It's not that I don't enjoy art at all... I just don't enjoy walking into a magnificent building that had been highly anticipated, only to find that only one or two small floors actually contain art. The CMA is massive and has much more to offer, and it's free. Just not my cup of tee at the MOCA.

Online X

• Global Moderator
« Reply #501 on: December 06, 2012, 11:57:56 PM »
MOCA is really for going to a particular show that you want to see, not for going to check out some artwork in a more general sense.  You might go if they have a retrospective of a certain artist who's work you like, or a certain genre of art you are interested in, for example I went to MOCA in its old space to see a display of architectural renderings from contemporary design firms.

Online MayDay

• Administrator
  • The HBIC from the CLE
    • Cleveland Skyscrapers
« Reply #502 on: December 07, 2012, 07:07:01 AM »
^Yep, thus their modus operandi of not being a 'collecting institution'.

Offline Hts121

• UO Supporting Member
  • It's still just like your opinion, man
« Reply #503 on: December 07, 2012, 09:59:40 AM »
'Museum' of Contemporary Art is a bit of a misnomer.
Your true friends will help you up when someone knocks you down.  Your best friend will say "Stay down, I got this."

Offline jjames0408

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #504 on: December 07, 2012, 10:51:32 AM »
How so? I'm pretty sure works of art are kept and displayed there in a building, so it holds pretty true to the definition of museum.

mu·se·um  [myoo-zee-uh m]  Show IPA
noun
a building or place where works of art, scientific specimens, or other objects of permanent value are kept and displayed.

Offline Hts121

• UO Supporting Member
  • It's still just like your opinion, man
« Reply #505 on: December 07, 2012, 10:54:30 AM »
Because the works are not 'kept' there.  They are displayed and, when the exhibit ends, they move on.
Your true friends will help you up when someone knocks you down.  Your best friend will say "Stay down, I got this."

Offline bluemeanie

• 367'-PNC Bank
« Reply #506 on: December 07, 2012, 01:32:49 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kunsthalle MOCA is a "kunsthalle". CMA is a "kunstmuseum". Thanks, Germans.

Offline mrnyc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #507 on: December 07, 2012, 02:01:53 PM »
^ yep. moca is rotating exhibits, not a permanent collection. like the new museum in ny for example.

Offline jborger

• examiner.com, twitter, blog
  • 629'-Rhodes State Tower
  • Now living in Detroit Shoreway
    • Jeremy Borger from Cleveland, Ohio
Cleveland: MOCA
« Reply #508 on: December 08, 2012, 11:24:26 AM »
It's not that I don't enjoy art at all... I just don't enjoy walking into a magnificent building that had been highly anticipated, only to find that only one or two small floors actually contain art. The CMA is massive and has much more to offer, and it's free. Just not my cup of tee at the MOCA.

Agreed. I went to MOCA with my wife and we both thought admission was high for what it was. You basically have this beautiful building and have to travel up to the top floor to really see anything. We were in and out in less than 40 minutes. I've seen more works on display at much smaller galleries.

The building itself is beautiful and I love that it's there. I just wish it had more usable square footage (yes, it's bigger than the old MOCA but doesn't really feel like it).

Offline ClevelandOhio

• Premium Member
« Reply #509 on: December 08, 2012, 12:25:29 PM »

Agreed. I went to MOCA with my wife and we both thought admission was high for what it was. You basically have this beautiful building and have to travel up to the top floor to really see anything. We were in and out in less than 40 minutes. I've seen more works on display at much smaller galleries.

The building itself is beautiful and I love that it's there. I just wish it had more usable square footage (yes, it's bigger than the old MOCA but doesn't really feel like it).

Everything Ive read said its smaller than the old space.

Offline w28th

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #510 on: December 08, 2012, 09:11:50 PM »
All you have to read is the square footage to know it's double the size...
"When you stand at the corner of Euclid Avenue and East Ninth Street in Cleveland, you stand at one of the busiest corners in the world -- and in the heart of a shopping district known far and wide for its many fine shops."

Offline Punch

• UO Supporting Moderator
« Reply #511 on: December 08, 2012, 10:15:59 PM »
I think the gallery space is smaller, this is from a Litt article

the old MOCA had roughly 9,500 square feet of gallery space, enough to hold several different exhibitions simultaneously. According to a spreadsheet provided by the museum, the new building comes close to 9,000 square feet of display space -- a virtual wash.

The catch is that the 9,000-square-foot number holds only if you consider the museum's vertiginous, 1,365-square-foot atrium and a 308-square-foot lobby on the second floor to be gallery space. If you don't, the space that's entirely dedicated to art amounts to 7,300 square feet -- 20 percent less than at the museum's former home.

http://www.cleveland.com/arts/index.ssf/2012/11/despite_minor_flaws_mocas_new.html
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 10:16:23 PM by CleveChiNola »
Originally Punch, then CleveChiNola, now back to Punch.

Offline metrocity

• 665'-Queen City Square
  • Wherever you are, Whatever you do, Look Around You
    • 650sq ft...Inspired and creative design for small spaces
« Reply #512 on: December 13, 2012, 02:10:08 AM »
Check out Farshid Moussavi's website.  It's all MOCA flash on the splash front page right now

http://www.farshidmoussavi.com/flash/index.html
Cul de sac is just another word for Dead End.

www.650sqft.com

Offline w28th

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #513 on: December 13, 2012, 10:04:03 AM »
I stand corrected.
"When you stand at the corner of Euclid Avenue and East Ninth Street in Cleveland, you stand at one of the busiest corners in the world -- and in the heart of a shopping district known far and wide for its many fine shops."

Offline StrapHanger

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #514 on: December 13, 2012, 11:34:34 AM »
It's worth noting the new facility also offers much better space for performance art, music, film, etc., so even though the gallery space hasn't grown, it's still quite an upgrade functionally (even aside from the increased visibility and neighborhood benefits).
"Cleveland, as you see, is not an apple, but a bunch of grapes each of which has its own particular pattern-some large, others small, some round, others long and narrow, some sweet, others sour, some sound, others rotten throughout."  -Howard Whipple Green, 1932

Offline MuRrAy HiLL

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #515 on: May 14, 2015, 02:27:51 AM »
MOCA Cleveland's building wins LEED Silver rating for environmental performance

By  Steven Litt, The Plain Dealer   
Follow on Twitter
on May 13, 2015 at 2:00 PM, updated May 13, 2015 at 2:01 PM

CLEVELAND, Ohio – The new Museum of Contemporary Art building is certainly beautiful. It is also now officially green.

MOCA's building, designed by architect Farshid Moussavi of London, and built in 2012, has achieved a Silver rating from the U.S. Green Building Council's LEED system, short for Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design.

http://www.cleveland.com/arts/index.ssf/2015/05/moca_clevelands_gemlike_buildi.html
“Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood. " -- Daniel Burnham

Remove Ads