Author Topic: Northern Kentucky: Random Development News & Info  (Read 56669 times)

Offline edale

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
Re: Northern Kentucky: Random Development News & Info
« Reply #175 on: April 21, 2014, 07:16:31 PM »
Awesome to see urban infill built right up to the street!

Offline Sherman Cahal

• Premium Member
    • UrbanUp
« Reply #176 on: April 21, 2014, 07:21:55 PM »
The quality is good too.

Online neilworms

• 574'-Carew Tower
« Reply #177 on: April 21, 2014, 07:49:48 PM »
^-These guys should move across the river...

Offline edale

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #178 on: April 21, 2014, 10:45:55 PM »
^-These guys should move across the river...

???

Offline taestell

• Premium Member
    • UrbanCincy
« Reply #179 on: April 21, 2014, 10:48:33 PM »
Covington still has a shot at rebirth
Business closures are merely bumps in the road for MainStrasse's progress
Jan. 8, 2014 9:35 PM
Written by Amanda Van Benschoten

COVINGTON — A chapter in the city’s civic life came to a close on Sunday, when the landmark restaurant and jazz bar Chez Nora abruptly shut its doors just months shy of its 20th anniversary.

The closure leaves a gaping hole in the heart of the city’s MainStrasse dining and entertainment district, and also in the hearts of those who spent any time at all within Chez Nora’s warm, inviting walls.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20140109/NEWS0103/301090022/Covington-still-has-shot-rebirth

I wonder how much the revitalization of OTR has taken business away from MainStrasse.

Offline ucgrady

• 279'-First Energy Center
« Reply #180 on: April 22, 2014, 02:01:01 AM »
From my personal perspective (as a 25 year old who drinks a lot) we either go out to OTR or Covington. To me OTR is taking away business more from Mt. Adams, because if you want a dive bar where you can smoke indoors and have a $1 beer you still go to Cov and I think as OTR gets more mainstream you will see the hipsters more on this side of the river. But if you want a nice cocktail or $6 beer where you don't smell like an ashtray and can see/be seen you go to Downtown/OTR. That being said old Kentucky bourbon bar, wise guys, and pachinkos are all smoke free. Either way when I turned 21 it was mt. Adams all the time, and I haven't been there since last summer. (And we only go to the banks for gamedays)

Offline ucgrady

« Reply #181 on: June 02, 2014, 01:24:57 PM »
EPA money for licking river greenway's brownfield properties. The trail currently goes from 9th street to almost Holmes high school. Hopefully this money will help extend it further north or get the Newport side more involved, as it has many more brownfield properties.

http://rcnky.com/articles/2014/06/02/covington-newport-get-600-epa-grant-licking-river-greenway

Offline The_Cincinnati_Kid

• 1450'-Willis Tower
  • The Big Daddy From Cincinnati
« Reply #182 on: June 24, 2014, 08:49:33 AM »
New life for Marianne Theatre
Terry DeMio, tdemio@nky.com 12:18 a.m. EDT June 24, 2014

Memories of heading to the Marianne Theater elicit broad smiles from people in Bellevue.

Lifelong resident Vic Camm remembers his dad bringing him to the old, art deco cinema to see "Fantasia" when he was a kid.

The big movie he remembers seeing as a young adult was quite different: "'Easy Rider,'" he said, again smiling, as he nodded toward the closed theater on Fairfield Avenue.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/local/northern-ky/2014/06/24/marianne-theatre-bellevue/11298243/
"Rock & Roll attained perfection in 1974, it's a scientific fact."- Homer Simpson

Offline ucgrady

« Reply #183 on: July 18, 2014, 11:27:22 AM »
http://rcnky.com/articles/2014/07/18/photos-inside-newports-monmouth-row-apartment-development

I like the density, but as usual with Towne Properties it is faux historic and not very interesting. Still thought I should throw these pictures up here, with this and the new apartments at Vue180 and hopefully the new hotel/apartments at the Levee, Newport is doing pretty well for itself.

Online jmicha

• 629'-Rhodes State Tower
« Reply #184 on: July 18, 2014, 11:30:07 AM »
It looks pretty bad in person but it does take over and add density to what was a series of parking lots or suburban style buildings (except for the corner, wasn't there a pretty decent building torn down for these?) and that's good. Downtown Newport stands to be a really cool neighborhood in the coming years. I like a lot of it once you head south from the Levee and there are quite a few places where large, dense development could occur.

Offline Jimmy_James

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #185 on: July 18, 2014, 11:49:52 AM »
except for the corner, wasn't there a pretty decent building torn down for these?

It was okay.  I think it was faux historic as well, but still fairly old (60+ years, but that's young for the neighborhood).  It wasn't historically significant, unlike the Carnegie library next door, which thankfully was spared.  IMO, that building was worth sacrificing to replace the rest of the surface lot on that block.
"It is not a trolley."  -Milton Dohoney, Cincinnati City Manager

Offline KyleCincy

• 629'-Rhodes State Tower
« Reply #186 on: July 18, 2014, 11:55:58 AM »
http://rcnky.com/articles/2014/07/18/photos-inside-newports-monmouth-row-apartment-development

I like the density, but as usual with Towne Properties it is faux historic and not very interesting. Still thought I should throw these pictures up here, with this and the new apartments at Vue180 and hopefully the new hotel/apartments at the Levee, Newport is doing pretty well for itself.

That Towne development is in a good location, rents are reasonable. Monmouth St. looks pretty good these days and Newport is sinking another
$900,000 into street or sidewalk improvements somewhere off of Monmouth.

Offline jjakucyk

• 947'-Key Tower
    • Cincinnati Traction History
« Reply #187 on: July 18, 2014, 12:16:15 PM »
The building that used to be at the corner was a decent 2-story brick affair that looked to be from the 1920s.  I wouldn't call it anything spectacular, and with a little love it could probably have been made to shine, but my guess is that it had some odd spaces inside.  With a bunch of garage doors on one side and what looks like offices above, I guess it was only conducive to certain kinds of retail/industrial use, with pretty marginal office space above.  It's a loss, but probably worth the trade.  http://goo.gl/maps/dfRDL

Even if you don't like the design/style of the new building, it is pretty well executed.  The proportions are good, the materials are at least OK, and it doesn't have a bunch of unresolved details from what I've seen.  What's more impressive though is that the urbanism is quite good, if not excellent.  There's little to no setback from the sidewalk, and where there is, it's on the residential side leaving just enough room for a little stoop.  The scale of the building is just right for 3-story townhouses.  Many newer developments such as University Station by Xavier, the building that replaced Schiel School on Short Vine, and University Park on Calhoun have inappropriately tall first floors that make the buildings look like they're on stilts.  There's also no blank walls that I'm aware of, and the both the retail and residential sides facing the streets have plenty of windows and doors.  The only disappointment is that the courtyard is a parking lot instead of an actual courtyard, but even that is a pretty well-defined space and it's not too gaping a hole in the built fabric.  It's a good example of building dense mixed use without having to resort to expensive construction types and parking garages that require a very overscaled development to amortize those additional costs. 

UrbanOhio.com Forum

« Reply #187 on: July 18, 2014, 12:16:15 PM »

Remove Ads