Author Topic: Cincinnati: Downtown: Convention Center  (Read 39269 times)

Offline atlas

• 947'-Key Tower
Re: Cincinnati: Downtown - Convention Center Expansion
« Reply #140 on: March 08, 2006, 09:42:11 PM »
i like cinergy center better.  oh well.

Offline atlas

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #141 on: March 08, 2006, 09:42:59 PM »
oh yea, has anyone gone/plan to go to the home and garden show?  any insight on the feel of the place???

Offline moonloop

• 665'-Queen City Square
« Reply #142 on: March 08, 2006, 09:59:39 PM »
oh yea, has anyone gone/plan to go to the home and garden show?  any insight on the feel of the place???

You need to read a few more posts, Montecarloss went to the car show that shows the finishing touches(cute little kid not included). The first show since the construction.

Offline atlas

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #143 on: March 08, 2006, 10:27:28 PM »
^ i know, i read that post.  But i remember him saying the place didnt feel too much bigger.  My dad owns a business and has a booth, or whatever you call it, at the home and garden show and said he noticed a considerable difference.  I just wanted to know if anyone had gone to the home and garden show and noticed the same thing my dad did and if the difference in his perception to the car show was the different showcases or not.

Offline atlas

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #144 on: March 08, 2006, 10:29:15 PM »
^that last sentence was worded really bad.  what i wanted to say was, was the difference in perception due to the type of showcase.  Or, maybe, did one show use more space?  Im really not sure how the conventions work in utilizing space, etc.

Offline cincyimages

• Follow on Facebook
  • Premium Member
  • cincyimages.com
    • cincyimages.com
« Reply #145 on: March 09, 2006, 09:56:18 AM »
I also went to the Home & Garden show.  J Miles Wolf is there selling his Cincinnati photos.  If you want a vague idea of the expansion of the main convention space, if you look at my first photo, everything behind the beam with "exit" on it is new space.  They added space to the second & third floor but the large conventions generally only use the first floor.

It was my first time going to the Home & Garden show.  I went looking for vendors to replace my basement windows and someone to fix my deck.  I got a few estimates and they were some nice home theatre setups and good deals on Jacuzzi's.

Offline moonloop

• 665'-Queen City Square
« Reply #146 on: March 09, 2006, 10:38:55 PM »
Also, I believe back-end functions were expanded - loading docks, etc. Another area that was re-done was the ballroom. I don't know what floor that's on, but I think that's gotten good reviews.

Online BallHatGuy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #147 on: March 10, 2006, 09:59:38 AM »
Great photos of the original building Monte.

I am with Monte on this one and I too was at the car show and the space added to the main exhibition space was really not that much.  Truck docks were greatly increased as well as addition of smaller meeting rooms, renovated kitchens, & office space on 2nd floor and then the greatly increased ballroom on the third floor.

Offline unusualfire

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #148 on: March 10, 2006, 10:15:02 PM »
They should have just moved the Convention center to Broadway Commons. We are far behind other Convention centers.

Check this one out from New Orleans. It's expansion will add more space than our total space, even after our expansion..lol

Ernest N. Morial Convention Center Expansion
Current Square Feet of Exhibit Space: 1.1 Million
Square Feet of Exhibit Space after Expansion: 1.6 Million

Offline OTRFAN

• 468'-Scripps Center
  • wall off west chester
« Reply #149 on: March 10, 2006, 10:26:18 PM »
cute kid!
OTR - fill in the blanks

Offline UncleRando

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Get on board!
« Reply #150 on: April 24, 2006, 10:44:22 AM »
On another note...shouldn't this thread now be under 'completed projects'?

Offline cincyimages

• Follow on Facebook
  • Premium Member
  • cincyimages.com
    • cincyimages.com
« Reply #151 on: April 24, 2006, 04:39:36 PM »
Going to another market shows you how things can be done other ways. And it also gives you an appreciation for how great this city is.

Coming from another market, I understand 100%.

Offline richNcincy

• Administrator
    • UrbanOhio
« Reply #152 on: April 25, 2006, 03:48:40 PM »
The convention center isnt supposed to be 100% finished until June I thought.

Offline ink

• UO Supporting Moderator
« Reply #153 on: April 25, 2006, 03:49:16 PM »
^Plus there is the streetscape, if that is included.

Offline jmecklenborg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #154 on: May 18, 2006, 07:01:55 PM »
The convention center originally covered one city block, then the mid-80's expansion and renovation closed off a block of Plum St. and took half of the next block.  This expansion merely took the rest of that block, adding maybe 150ft in length and width to the whole place.

That ballroom was not very nice, my school's senior prom was there and it was a dull room.  It had a long tinted window with a curved top that looked west toward Price Hill that took some style cues from those old Rax Roast Beef atriums.     

Offline Alabama ExPat

• Premium Member
« Reply #155 on: June 18, 2006, 09:27:17 AM »
I guess this makes it official.  Time to stick a fork in it and call it done.

Duke Center expansion complete

Bigger, better and - believe it or not - below budget.  Expansion, renovation and reconfiguration of Cincinnati's convention center was scheduled to cost $160 million, but the project's price tag wound up at only $135 million.

Money was saved, but nothing was scrimped on, says Dan Lincoln, president and chief executive officer of the Greater Cincinnati Convention and Visitors Bureau. "The one word we hear over and over from people seeing the new place for the first time is, 'Wow!' " he said.

Work on the convention center, officially renamed the Duke Energy Center, was completed Friday, two weeks ahead of schedule. The sprawling complex takes up two city blocks in downtown Cincinnati, bounded on the north by Sixth Street, on the south by Fifth Street, on the east by Elm Street and on the west by Central Avenue.

Read full article here:
http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060617/NEWS01/606170366
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 01:05:05 PM by UncleRando »

Offline buildingcincinnati

• aka grasscat
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Building Cincinnati isn't a job, it's a lifestyle
    • Building Cincinnati
« Reply #156 on: June 18, 2006, 02:23:04 PM »
The Enquirer has a photo gallery of 19 images:
Photos: Convention Center
THE ColDayMan's sig solidifies my status as a UO Hall of Famer.

Offline Alabama ExPat

• Premium Member
« Reply #157 on: June 18, 2006, 08:00:52 PM »
The Enquirer has a photo gallery of 19 images:
Photos: Convention Center

On picture 11 of 19, the caption states:

Windows from the third level provide a view of the original arch.

I thought that arch was a reproduction of the entrance to the old Albee theater.  Was it there before the latest renovation?

Offline cincyimages

• Follow on Facebook
  • Premium Member
  • cincyimages.com
    • cincyimages.com
« Reply #158 on: June 18, 2006, 09:51:57 PM »
It is my understanding that the arch is the original entrance to the old Albee Theatre.  I wish they would have removed it and placed it into a museum, preferably the Cincinnati History Museum.  The old Albee entrance looks so awful attached to Post Modern 80's faux marble.

I am also pleased that our media outlets are putting a positive spin on the remodeled convention center but I apparently must see this "Grand Ballroom" to truly appreciate the $135 million dollar price tag.  I know they weren't done during the "Home & Garden Show" & "The Auto Show" but I just didn't see that much of an improvement at that time.  I guess I should just be happy that the media is  talking positive about downtown for once and shut my mouth.   :|
« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 09:57:59 PM by montecarloss »

• aka grasscat
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • Building Cincinnati
« Reply #159 on: June 22, 2006, 08:03:14 PM »
This interactive thing on the Enquirer's site is pretty neat:
http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060621/BIZ01/306210022/1076/rss01

Offline moonloop

• 665'-Queen City Square
« Reply #160 on: June 22, 2006, 10:53:31 PM »
Did anyone go to the open house? I believe The Roots are hitting the stage right about now. They probably never played in front of so many Suits before.

Offline cincyimages

• Follow on Facebook
  • Premium Member
  • cincyimages.com
    • cincyimages.com
« Reply #161 on: June 22, 2006, 11:01:17 PM »
I was there.  Today was my birthday so I went to Scotti's for dinner with family and friends and decided to head over to the Convention Center.  I was impressed, I could see a great improvements in the cosmetics even from the Auto Show & Home & Garden Show when I was last there.  Very nice!  The Grand Ballroom looked great and the overall feel of the convention center was much improved.  Glad to see the opening of the center help offset the negativity of the census numbers over the last two days.  Not that I smoke but they even put in a third floor balcony for smokers and people looking for outdoor air.  As someone who questioned the cost of the upgrade vs the limited amount of sq footage gained, you can call me a convert. 

• aka grasscat
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • Building Cincinnati
« Reply #162 on: June 23, 2006, 01:59:20 AM »
I didn't go to the open house, but from what I've seen and from what I've heard, it's pretty nice.  I'll have to get down there soon.

Happy birthday, montecarlosssssssss!

Offline Cincy1

• 574'-Carew Tower
« Reply #163 on: June 24, 2006, 10:48:30 AM »
I'm a little surprised the Enquirer did not have a follow-up article, but this is a pretty good one from the Post.  I actually thought the free tickets to the show were limited to 1500, but I might be wrong.:

Not your father's convention center
'The Duke' makes its Cincinnati debut with a message: The buttoned-down Queen City is ready to rock
By Rick Bird | Post staff reporter

The expanded, remodeled downtown convention center held its grand reopening ceremony Thursday night heralded as "the house that everyone built," with state, city, county, and corporate money paying the $150 million tab for the project.

Politicians and business leaders praised the project that came in two weeks ahead of schedule and $10 million under budget.  After the usual self-congratulatory remarks, something very different happened at the traditional downtown booster event. The building rocked.

The speeches gave way to rock 'n' roll, jazz, R&B, Cajun music and jam bands as music shook and echoed off the halls of the 750,000 foot sprawling structure now known as the Duke Energy Center.  Edgy jam band Rusted Root drew some 2,000 concert-goers to a free show as the opening also featured two hours of all-star band lineups with some of the region's finest local musicians.

Read full article here:
http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060623/LIFE/606230367
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 01:04:13 PM by UncleRando »
"97X Bam, the future of Rock and Roll"

Midpoint Music Festival  September 20-23, 2006
www.mpmf.com

Offline cincyimages

• Follow on Facebook
  • Premium Member
  • cincyimages.com
    • cincyimages.com
« Reply #164 on: September 08, 2007, 01:40:03 AM »
Any word if Cincinnati is having a "Light Up Cincinnati"?  I hope they aren't having it this Monday because I fly out of CVG Monday afternoon.

ohio1221

« Reply #165 on: September 08, 2007, 06:11:15 AM »
Any word if Cincinnati is having a "Light Up Cincinnati"?  I hope they aren't having it this Monday because I fly out of CVG Monday afternoon.

I was wondering the same thing, hopefully GABP will.

• aka grasscat
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • Building Cincinnati
« Reply #166 on: September 11, 2007, 01:54:48 AM »

They're doing it October 1 for the Pats game.

Offline jmecklenborg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #167 on: May 20, 2015, 09:44:27 PM »
Some of the Union Terminal murals will be moved to the Duke Energy Center concourse:
http://www.cincinnati.com/story/entertainment/arts/2015/05/19/murals-cvg-closer-cincinnati-homecoming/27584945/?fb_ref=Default

The murals will presumably cover up *my* photos which were installed there during the 2006 renovation.  I never liked them so I'm not too upset...the check cleared 10 years ago and that's all that matters!

Online chinkley

• 468'-Scripps Center
Re: Cincinnati: Downtown: Convention Center
« Reply #168 on: December 15, 2015, 10:42:01 AM »
Looks like the murals are indeed coming back to downtown Cincinnati: http://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/hamilton-county/cincinnati/downtown/union-terminal-murals-to-be-mounted-outside-convention-center

I'm ecstatic that they are being saved and moved home, but am a little sad that they are going on the Central Ave side of the Convention Center. Seems that few people will have the opportunity to walk by them in that location and really admire the artwork.

Offline jmecklenborg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #169 on: December 15, 2015, 01:22:37 PM »
Well this is weird.  Also, half of the murals will remain at the airport.  So this sets the stage for some sort of weird reunion of all of the murals at some future date, should the city build a new passenger concourse at Union Terminal or a new train station elsewhere. 

Offline Rabbit Hash

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #170 on: December 15, 2015, 01:59:47 PM »
Looks like the murals are indeed coming back to downtown Cincinnati: http://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/hamilton-county/cincinnati/downtown/union-terminal-murals-to-be-mounted-outside-convention-center

I'm ecstatic that they are being saved and moved home, but am a little sad that they are going on the Central Ave side of the Convention Center. Seems that few people will have the opportunity to walk by them in that location and really admire the artwork.

Wouldn't Plum have been a better choice?

Online jwulsin

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #171 on: December 15, 2015, 03:48:44 PM »
Very strange indeed to put them along Central, since so few people walk along there. I wish they could find somewhere inside the Convention Center where the murals would be appreciated by more people.

On the plus side (perhaps), I think they will be visible from I-75 and I-71 directly below the giant pixelated CINCINNATI sign, so potentially they'll be visible to thousands of motorists every day. Imagine this photo with the murals illuminated below the sign: http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php/topic,29531.msg751902.html#msg751902

View from I-75: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0989897,-84.5211898,3a,75y,29.9h,83.53t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sLoPulsrXawQe1JlSowfwpA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Details from the City: http://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/mayor/news/mayor-cranley-airport-board-county-reach-deal-to-save-murals/?a

Online taestell

• Premium Member
    • UrbanCincy
« Reply #172 on: December 15, 2015, 04:29:21 PM »
Well the important thing is that they're being saved. Originally there was some concern that they would just get demolished along with the old terminal if no one came forward and paid the cost of moving them.
Check out my photography on Flickr or Instagram | Twitter: @urbancincy & @taestell | The UrbanCincy Podcast (iTunes)

Online ryanlammi

• Global Moderator
  • Cultural Marxist
    • Flickr Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 15, 2015, 04:46:34 PM »
Cincinnati Preservation Association sent an email advocating this to be temporary because the direct evening sunlight will cause damage to the murals over time.

Union Terminal Murals Deserve to be Displayed Within Duke Energy Center

Central Avenue Site Should be Staging Area, Not a Final Installation

(Cincinnati, Ohio) Yesterday City Council's Budget and Finance Committee voted to expend $750,000 to install nine of the Union Terminal murals in a glass enclosure on the west (rear) wall of the Duke Energy Center. "This is a welcome step forward but the plan is incomplete," said Paul Muller, Executive Director of CPA.  "These treasures deserve a more appropriate setting, which we know will take time and planning."   While the murals need to be stored temporarily while the Center is structurally upgraded for their installation, the plan as presented yesterday needs to be modified for the following reasons:

Temporary storage, not permanent relocation. The murals deserve a final home inside the Duke Energy Center lobby, where they can be viewed and enjoyed by thousands of City residents and visitors. The Central Avenue location is ideal for storage since the murals would not have to be loaded on trucks once the Center is prepared and funds are raised for the installation. It does not work as a permanent home.

Damage to the murals. The idea of a glass wall on the storage structure is unsound.  The ultraviolet radiation and even the visible light from west-facing exposure would cause damage to the murals.

Lack of visibility. The lack of pedestrian traffic on Central Avenue means fewer people would see the murals. In their original location at Union Terminal, and at the airport, the artworks were highly visible to an appreciative public.

Conveys the wrong impression. Displaying the murals in a glass box outdoors could give the impression that the relocation was complete, reducing the chance that they would end up in a more fitting indoor location indoors.

World-class art for Cincinnati. Artist Winold Reiss, creator of the murals, rooted the heroic images in reality, connecting them to the specifics of our region.  This connection explains why the murals are so deeply appreciated by the people of Cincinnati, who have donated $57,000 to the Save the Murals Fund at the Cincinnati Preservation Association.

A legacy of preservation. In 1972 Cincinnatians rallied to save all 14 murals from Union Terminal by relocating them to the Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport. This was one of the most successful art conservation rescues in the history of our country. It unique because of both the size of the threatened murals and because of the quality and artistic significance.

Recommendation:  The location of the temporary storage is good, the glass is a problem. We recommend that a solid wall be created in lieu of the glass to protect the murals while the final location planning and fundraising is underway.

Alfred Moore, who led the original save of Union Terminal and the murals in 1972, believes they deserve a more prominent setting.  "We received support from nearly ten thousand people when the murals were threatened" said Mr. Moore.  "They represent Cincinnati's artistic and cultural heritage at its finest and should be proudly displayed."   

In 2014 Cincinnatians overwhelmingly expressed their support for the restoration of Union Terminal. Now is the time to care for these nine works of art, which also are part of that legacy. The full Council is expected to vote tomorrow on funding the mural move. The support of Cincinnatians is necessary to ensure that these priceless works of art are properly cared for and will be installed in the location they deserve. Supporters are urged to contact the Mayor and Council members by phone and email and to attend tomorrow's Council meeting to voice their support.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 04:50:00 PM by ryanlammi »
"We both would have looked silly if he came in, got out and came back in.

- Tim Burke, Hamilton County Democratic Party Chairman

Flickr Profile

Offline Rabbit Hash

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #174 on: December 16, 2015, 09:53:37 AM »
^I had that exact thought. That the afternoon/evening sun would wash them out. I thought they were going to be outside...a dumb assumption in hindsight.  Now I see they have them behind glass. They will bake!

Remove Ads