Author Topic: Dayton: Downtown: Water Street Redevelopment  (Read 3039 times)

Offline OHKID

• 408'-Kettering Tower
Dayton: Downtown: Water Street Redevelopment
« on: July 10, 2013, 12:44:28 PM »
Hey UOers,

I'm a lurker on this site most of the time. So let me start by saying that I'm sorry about the recent post loss, a lot of good discussion happened over that time and I personally will miss the availability of that content. Primarily I post on City-Data (Sorry, but I'd be the only Dayton person here! At least there's a couple on C-D...), BUT this is a big story if it happens. Looking forward to an exhilarating discussion!

The article:
http://www.bizjournals.com/dayton/news/2013/07/10/new-development-for-downtown-dayton.html

The developing firm is Crawford Hoying, which apparently in big in the Columbus real estate circles. It's unheard of here - at least from my perspective (I watch Loopnet fairly closely and have never heard of them). I looked through their portfolio in Dayton, and they have some small real estate holdings, and that is it! So slightly concerned about their credibility.

Partnering with them is Jason Woodward. He's been in the commercial real estate market in Dayton for a while, so I'm assuming he understands what will fly and what won't in Dayton better then a Columbus firm.  He recently left RG (yep, the Wal-Mart developer in our area haha) to start making his own path.

Recently he did an interview with the Dayton Business Journal: http://www.bizjournals.com/dayton/news/2013/02/12/qa-jason-woodard-dayton-naiop.html?page=all
So this project is probably one of those projects he was "doing for himself" as referenced in the interview, if I don't extrapolate what he is saying too much...

Since I'm on lunch break and this project has virtually no info up yet, I also creeped on his LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/jason-woodard/6/841/728
Seems to be actively interested in downtown revitalization. So hopefully this actually pans out! I've had my hopes deflated too many times as a Daytonian haha
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 03:16:38 PM by ColDayMan »

Offline ColDayMan

• Administrator
  • ♪♪ An Apollo Legend! ♪♪
Re: Dayton: Downtown: Water Street Redevelopment
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 03:17:28 PM »
Welcome!

New development in Ballpark Village area set for downtown Dayton

A new $36 million project is in the works for downtown Dayton in the area that had been planned for Ballpark Village.

Dayton city officials say the development, being called Water Street Redevelopment, could revitalize a long-vacant space.

The first phase of the proposed mixed-use development between Patterson and Webster streets, to the north of Fifth Third Field Downtown, will have 161 luxury residential apartments, 50,000 square feet of office and retail space and about 430 parking spaces.

More below:
http://www.bizjournals.com/dayton/news/2013/07/10/new-development-for-downtown-dayton.html
I love it when people come into a message board and immediately begin to mix it up.  I mean, Jesus, at least say hello!  Do you walk into a room full of strangers, pick a random woman, and tell her she's fat? - buildingcincinnati

Offline ColDayMan

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 03:17:58 PM »
Developers: Downtown Dayton project ‘step in right direction’

Downtown Dayton developers are applauding the city’s announcement about the new Water Street Redevelopment project and calling it a step in the right direction.

The proposed $36 million project will have 161 luxury residential apartments, 50,000 square feet of office and retail space and about 430 parking spaces.

Rental rates for the apartments will range from $700 to $1,200 depending on size and number of bedrooms.

More below:
http://www.bizjournals.com/dayton/blog/2013/07/downtown-dayton-project-step-in-right.html
I love it when people come into a message board and immediately begin to mix it up.  I mean, Jesus, at least say hello!  Do you walk into a room full of strangers, pick a random woman, and tell her she's fat? - buildingcincinnati

Offline ColDayMan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 03:18:50 PM »
Restaurants, companies interested in downtown Dayton development

There already is interest from restaurants and companies in potentially moving into the new $36 million project in the works for downtown Dayton, officials say.

There are several phases to the project and Dayton city officials say the development, being called Water Street Redevelopment, could revitalize a long-vacant space.

The first phase of the proposed mixed-use development — situated between Patterson and Webster streets, to the north of Fifth Third Field — will have 161 luxury residential apartments, 50,000 square feet of office and retail space and about 430 parking spaces.

More below:
http://www.bizjournals.com/dayton/blog/2013/07/whole-foods-eyes-first-store-in-dayton.html

Offline PhillyEngineer

• 367'-PNC Bank
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 07:05:55 PM »
This has the potential to be very exciting. I used to work for Wolpert, which was in the building that is just south of the proposed development.

Offline ColDayMan

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 03:16:14 PM »
Stakeholders discuss $36M downtown project

A group of stakeholders in the downtown region gathered to discuss a $36 million project with major implications on downtown Dayton moves forward.

Dayton city officials and the Downtown Dayton Partnership gathered a group of stakeholders in late August to discuss the proposed “Water Street” development, which goes before the city planning board Sept. 17.

More below:
http://www.bizjournals.com/dayton/blog/morning_call/2013/09/stakeholders-gather-to-discuss-36m.html

Offline ColDayMan

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 03:19:47 PM »
Planning board OKs $36M downtown project

The proposed $36 million mixed-use development in downtown Dayton has cleared a major hurdle, with the concept passing through the city planning board.

The board approved rezoning about 9 acres of land northeast of Monument Avenue and Patterson Boulevard to allow for the development. In a two-hour meeting Tuesday night, officials laid out the case for more mixed-use land downtown and talked through several concerns about the project’s effect on downtown.

More below:
http://www.bizjournals.com/dayton/news/2013/09/18/planning-board-oks-36m-downtown-project.html

Offline OHKID

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 11:30:19 PM »
That's great news!

I'd still rather they re-develop an existing site, but I understand how the site chosen is probably the most prime downtown real estate right now.

Offline ColDayMan

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 03:32:32 PM »
$36M downtown project moves forward

The proposed $36 million Water Street development downtown cleared another hurdle Wednesday.

Dayton City Commissioners approved an amendment to the city’s zoning code to allow the development to be built up to five stories, up from the city’s previous zoning of properties close to the river that had to be shorter, said Shelley Dickstein, assistant city manager for strategic planning for the city.
---------------------
Phase I of the planned development will feature 50,000 square-feet of office space, a three-story garage with 480 parking spaces and 161 luxury housing units in three buildings on 9 acres of vacant land along the river. The second phase will bring the total housing units to 360 units as the project is extended from Riverside Drive to Webster Street north of River Corridor Drive, which will be renamed Water Street during the redevelopment. Developers could break ground on the buildings this year with completion dates in 2014 and 2015.

More below:
http://www.bizjournals.com/dayton/news/2013/10/17/36m-downtown-project-moves-forward.html

Offline Sherman Cahal

• Premium Member
    • UrbanUp
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2013, 04:13:07 PM »
This general area? http://goo.gl/maps/Rn8xc

Offline ColDayMan

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2013, 07:42:11 PM »
Yes.

Offline ColDayMan

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2013, 03:26:59 PM »
Water Street project moves forward

It looks like the Water Street Redevelopment project is getting closer to a reality.

John Poe Architects filed a building permit with the city of Dayton for 312 N. Patterson Blvd., which is the first building in the first phase of the $36 million project, which is slated to bring 161 luxury housing units to downtown.

The nearly 50,000-square-foot four-story office building will include retail on the first floor and office on the top three floors, according to the permits.

More below:
http://www.bizjournals.com/dayton/news/2013/11/15/water-street-project-moves-forward.html

Offline jdm00

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2013, 01:50:19 PM »
Glad to see this is going forward.

Offline ColDayMan

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2013, 03:14:04 PM »
Exclusive: PNC Bank expected to move Dayton headquarters to riverfront

It looks like one of Dayton's largest banks is considering moving into downtown's newest development.

Sources have told me PNC Bank is planning to move its entire Dayton headquarters to the Water Street Redevelopment project and will serve as the anchor tenant for the 50,000-square-foot office building.

PNC’s move would provide a strong anchor to the new mixed-use development on the riverfront, but would leave significant vacancy in the building at 6 N. Main St., which was designed by world-renowned architect I.M. Pei.

More below:
http://www.bizjournals.com/dayton/news/2013/11/20/pnc-bank-expected-to-move-dayton.html

Offline Sherman Cahal

• Premium Member
    • UrbanUp
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2013, 03:41:18 PM »
It's moving from http://goo.gl/maps/pafSL?

Offline ColDayMan

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2014, 11:30:43 PM »
PNC confirmed as anchor tenant for Water Street

PNC Bank has officially confirmed it plans to anchor the new $33.5 million Water Street development project downtown.

The bank signed on as the anchor tenant for the 50,000-square-foot office building portion of the riverfront development. PNC will occupy the top two floors of the four-story building. Groundbreaking on Water Street is expected within 30 days, the city said in a news release.

More below:
http://www.bizjournals.com/dayton/news/2014/01/30/pnc-confirmed-as-anchor-tenant-for.html

Offline ColDayMan

• Administrator

Offline OHKID

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2014, 01:19:35 AM »
I like the aesthetics of this development a lot better with the new renderings. Thanks for the updates ColDayMan!

Offline ColDayMan

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2014, 11:09:29 PM »
More housing at $34M downtown Dayton project

The plan for the Water Street development in downtown Dayton is now calling for more housing than originally projected.

Columbus-based Crawford Hoying, which is co-developing the $33.5 million, five-acre mixed-use site northeast of the city’s core, says the plan for the development now calls for 191 apartment units, up from 150 in its initial inception. Among those will be 16 studio units, 108 one-bedroom units, 61 two-bedroom units, and six two-bedroom townhomes, arrayed across two four-story residential buildings. Dayton-based Woodard Real Estate Resources is the other co-developer.

More below:
http://www.bizjournals.com/dayton/blog/morning_call/2014/03/more-housing-at-34m-downtown-dayton-project.html

Offline Sherman Cahal

• Premium Member
    • UrbanUp
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2014, 12:22:51 AM »
This is a miniature version of The Banks in Cincinnati, and I think it will ultimately be a really good draw for residents and for small retail in downtown. Too bad the southern part of downtown is neglected.

Offline OHKID

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2014, 06:35:32 AM »
^ One step at a time....

Right now though, the Student Suites project for Sinclair at Fourth and Ludlow is in southern downtown. As will the Centre City residential conversion if/when it happens. Overall, progress is still slow compared to the 3C's, but it is light years faster than it even was in 2010. And at least it feels like there is hope now (no more years like 2006-2008 please)....

But yeah, southern downtown could use a push. I'm hoping Sinclair does go through with their plans to open up their campus more and foster a district around Fourth and Ludlow, that alone will do wonders

Offline edale

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2014, 07:04:05 PM »
I love to see urban Dayton getting some big projects! So much of the development you hear in the Dayton region is way far out in the burbs...so much so that it feels like Downtown Dayton is kind of losing its relevancy.  Daytonians...would you agree with this? When you look at a map of the urbanized area of Dayton, it's a much larger area than the population would reflect, imo.  It has sprawl that rivals Cincinnati's despite having less than half of the metro population.  The success of the UD area, Downtown Dayton, and the Oregon District (anything new popping off there?) are really encouraging signs that the reurbanization movement is alive and well in Dayton!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 12:37:02 AM by edale »

Offline ColDayMan

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2014, 11:21:57 PM »
Downtown Dayton lost its relevancy back in 2000 when it lost so many corporations to other states and/or the suburbs.  But...it is now focusing on new housing, retail, grocery store, bikeshare, etc to attract people back in the core, and thus, jobs would come to where people want to be.  The core neighborhoods around downtown have always been fine; it's downtown's turn.

Offline OHKID

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2014, 11:12:20 PM »
I love to see urban Dayton getting some big projects! So much of the development you hear in the Dayton region is way far out in the burbs...so much so that it feels like Downtown Dayton is kind of losing its relevancy.  Daytonians...would you agree with this? When you look at a map of the urbanized area of Dayton, it's a much larger area than the population would reflect, imo.  It has sprawl that rivals Cincinnati's despite having less than half of the metro population.  The success of the UD area, Downtown Dayton, and the Oregon District (anything new popping off there?) are really encouraging signs that the reurbanization movement is alive and well in Dayton!

In my opinion, you are correct on every point. Although I would argue downtown Dayton in general has lost its relevancy, and is currently making a lot of decent strides to get it back.

I'd say Dayton is a lot more suburbanized for a variety of reasons
1.  Flat topography - makes building farther and farther out a cheap and easy option
2.  Heritage - we are an auto-centric town filled with a lot of machinists, military people, and engineers. Common thread? Love of machines and driving
3.  Composition - if you take a count of Dayton's suburbs, over 2/3 of them have a historic small-town core. So people very easily identify with the town connected to their home address (like Miamisburg, Tipp City, or Bellbrook) rather than Dayton as a whole.

The Dayton metro is around a solid 1 million people, assuming we are allowed to have Springboro/Franklin/Carlisle/Middletown (normally those are grouped into the Cincy CSA, but that's not a fun conversation). So to those that look at the population within city limits (around 140,000) and use that as their benchmark to judge the metro size, they will be surprised to find Dayton itself is only about 14% of the metro population. The flipside of this is large swaths of the city (like a lot of areas in the west side) are highly underutilized.

Offline ColDayMan

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2014, 03:39:10 PM »
Downtown Dayton’s Water Street adds more apartment units, groundbreaking set

Developers of the Water Street district in downtown Dayton are upping the number of residential units in the first phase of the project again.

The $33.5 million project will now have 219 residential units in its buildings, and the residential complex will break ground in the first week of July, said Brent Crawford, president of Columbus-based Crawford Hoying, which is developing the site along with Dayton-based Woodard Real Estate Resources.

More below:
http://www.bizjournals.com/dayton/news/2014/05/13/downtown-dayton-s-water-street-adds-more-apartment.html

Offline Eridony

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2014, 07:55:33 PM »
I visited Dayton for the first time today and took these pictures. I guess this must by the new PNC building.

Offline ink

• UO Supporting Moderator
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2014, 11:08:42 PM »
^Must be. Glad you made it to Dayton.

Offline ColDayMan

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2014, 11:25:14 PM »
Thanks!

Offline OHKID

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2014, 02:46:37 PM »
Quick update - construction of the office building at Water St is progressing nicely, and last time I was through the skeleton was done and brickwork on the outside was in progress.

Also, Crawford Hoying is exercising their option to purchase the 250k sq. ft. Mendelsons Building across the street (and right by 5/3 field):
http://www.bizjournals.com/dayton/news/2014/10/23/exclusive-downtown-dayton-building-sold-to.html

I'm assuming this is a sign that there has been a lot of interest in Water St. Looking forward to seeing their plans here!

Offline ColDayMan

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2014, 03:02:45 PM »
^Indeed.

Exclusive: Downtown Dayton building sold to developer of Water Street

The developer for the Water Street project that's revamping downtown Dayton's riverfront just purchased a historical building next to the project.

Crawford Hoying, the Columbus-based developer that partnered with local developer Jason Woodard on the residential, office and retail development currently under construction along the river, purchased the former Delco building at 329 E. First St., said Brent Crawford, president of Crawford Hoying. The building is next to Fifth Third Field, the home of the Dayton Dragons, and the top of the property offers a view into the ballpark.

More below:
http://www.bizjournals.com/dayton/news/2014/10/23/exclusive-downtown-dayton-building-sold-to.html

Remove Ads