Remove Ads

Author Topic: Cincinnati: Downtown: Ingalls Building  (Read 2108 times)

Offline Cygnus

• Bringer of Balance
  • Global Moderator
Cincinnati: Downtown: Ingalls Building
« on: November 19, 2013, 09:28:46 AM »
Here's the latest downtown office building that will become condos: EXCLUSIVE
Tom Demeropolis - Reporter - Cincinnati Business Courier

The new owner of the Ingalls Building in downtown Cincinnati, the world's first reinforced concrete skyscraper when it was built in 1903, is planning a conversion to condominiums.

Perry Chopra, CEO of the Claremont Group, said he plans to apply for Ohio Historic Preservation Tax Credits for the building next year as part of his plan to convert the 15-story building into 40 to 50 condos with ground-floor retail.

Applications for the 12th round of tax credit funding are due March 31, 2014. The applications will be reviewed starting in April, with the approved applications announced on or before June 30, 2014.

Cont
"It's just fate, as usual, keeping it's bargain and screwing us in the fine print..." - John Crichton

Offline jdm00

• 771'-Terminal Tower
Re: Cincinnati: Downtown: Ingalls Building
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 09:56:48 AM »
The pace of residential construction downtown right now is terrific.

Offline CincyMan

• 367'-PNC Bank
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 08:11:12 PM »
Awesome news! 4th street is on a roll.

Offline Jimmy_James

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 08:38:50 PM »
Oh wow. I didn't see this coming. Nice!
"It is not a trolley."  -Milton Dohoney, Cincinnati City Manager

Offline Krugkiw

• 367'-PNC Bank
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 08:50:49 PM »
Awesome news! 4th street is on a roll.

Perhaps the deadest street downtown right now, it'll be totally unrecognizable in five years.

Offline jwulsin

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 02:01:29 PM »
^I can think of lots of streets in downtown more dead than 4th Street... but this will be a very nice addition nonetheless. Once the Pogue Garage is replaced with a grocery store and apartments, 4th Street will become one of the nicer residential areas in downtown.

Offline jmicha

• 629'-Rhodes State Tower
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 02:07:20 PM »
4th Street is one of the best looking and most complete streets (in terms on continuous buildings without gaps) with Pogue's Garage being the only really large break in the fabric of the street. It is a little dead now, but with all these projects happening in the area I have a strong feeling that 4th is going to become one of the premier residential streets Downtown.

Offline ryanlammi

• Global Moderator
  • Wololoo
    • Flickr Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 02:25:17 PM »
4th stands to be a very high-end destination for condos and apartments. I think it could also lend itself to a shopping district (as has been outlined by the current administration)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 02:25:24 PM by ryanlammi »
"We both would have looked silly if he came in, got out and came back in.Ē

- Tim Burke, Hamilton County Democratic Party Chairman

Flickr Profile

Offline Rabbit Hash

• Particularly Everything
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 04:28:10 PM »
Am I right to say that 4th has really suffered form the age of the building stock?  Repurposing these buildings from office to res is thrilling.  The commercial merchants that have survived should be jumping.   

As I think if it, in 2016, will there be a more diverse/complete street than 4th?  It will have everything!

Offline jmicha

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 04:41:54 PM »
^It'll have high end new build residential, a grocery store, street retail, structured parking, residential conversions, and office space. It really will be a great street.

Offline edale

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, 04:59:43 PM »
^Don't forget the Renaissance Hotel!

Offline Sherman Cahal

• Premium Member
    • UrbanUp
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2013, 05:04:34 PM »
Where?

Offline jmicha

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2013, 05:05:31 PM »
Oh yes! I knew I was forgetting something. We'll have visitors as well! I hadn't really thought about how exciting this area will be until this discussion. It'll help spread the activity out to new areas and bridge the gap to the waterfront better. There are some serious dead zones between 5th and The Banks.

Offline jdm00

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2013, 08:57:50 AM »

Offline Rabbit Hash

• Particularly Everything
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2013, 10:37:44 AM »
Speaking of this, I know the McAlpin's Buildings became condos(?) a while back.  How are those?

Separately, the West Fourth area seems to languish.  With all of the hotel rooms sprouting on 4th it sure would be nice to see that block regain some life in the form of tourist friendly restaurants, etc.

Offline KyleCincy

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2013, 10:46:50 AM »
4th stands to be a very high-end destination for condos and apartments. I think it could also lend itself to a shopping district (as has been outlined by the current administration)

I think thats going to happen. The apartments in the Reserve are very nice and the larger condo building at 4th and Central is pretty cool.

Offline crisdux

• New User
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2014, 12:42:31 AM »
The condo layouts in this building are really unfortunate. Why are the kitchens in the hallways away from the living room? Look at everything else being developed right now in Cincinnati, no one is doing this type of layout anymore... Especially not for 300-400k condos! I hope these aren't final.

Offline jmblec2

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2014, 03:40:14 AM »
The lack of designated parking will also hurt the success of this project. People who drop $300K-$400K on condos own cars and want easy access to them.

Offline jmicha

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2014, 04:02:42 AM »
It's certainly going to be an interesting test. I'm really hoping it does well to show developers that attached parking isn't necessary but I'm not so sure. We'll see though. It'll be nice to see it repurposed regardless.

Offline Brutus_buckeye

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2014, 06:00:19 AM »
If there will be parking in the Westin Garage, that is not so bad. I have a friend who lives in the Fountain Sq condos and parking across the street at the Westin is not really any walk for him.

Offline taestell

• 1450'-Willis Tower
    • UrbanCincy
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2014, 10:45:52 AM »
I am told that the conversion to residential has been scrapped and the building will remain office space.

Offline hoerstw

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2014, 10:59:37 AM »
I am told that the conversion to residential has been scrapped and the building will remain office space.

I would have liked to see this go residential... would have been a good market test without dedicated parking.

Plus there is no shortage of older office space in the CBD, especially with residential demand so high right now some buildings being converted would be great.  Specifically Ingalls Building, 4th and Walnut Center, and Tri State Building all seem like great candidates.

I would assume this is scrapped due to the inability to win state tax credits? I was kind of surprised by that as well due to the historical significance of the building.

Offline jmblec2

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2014, 11:05:36 AM »

I would have liked to see this go residential... would have been a good market test without dedicated parking.

Plus there is no shortage of older office space in the CBD, especially with residential demand so high right now some buildings being converted would be great.  Specifically Ingalls Building, 4th and Walnut Center, and Tri State Building all seem like great candidates.

I would assume this is scrapped due to the inability to win state tax credits? I was kind of surprised by that as well due to the historical significance of the building.

I donít think condos would work there without dedicated parking. Especially at the price point they estimated on trying to sell them at. People buying $300K+ condos will keep a car and want a dedicated place to put it.

Offline jjakucyk

• 947'-Key Tower
    • Cincinnati Traction History
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2014, 12:12:36 PM »
It's right next to the Westin though, you'd think they could work out some sort of parking deal and possibly add a direct entrance.  Still, I walked through the building over the winter, and the views are great with some really nice spaces inside.  It's solid too, and the original elevator motors and switch gear in the attic is fascinating.  However, the building has only one stairwell, and it dumps you into the lobby.  That's a grandfathered in condition to the extreme, but maybe by keeping the building as office they can leave it alone.  Doing a change of use to residential would almost certainly necessitate adding another stairwell, and that would require either purchasing adjoining property to add a stair tower, or cutting away part of the floor slab on the interior, which is risky business to say the least.  One of the four elevator shafts is empty, and next to that is a large pipe shaft and another big shaft for the smoke stack.  Those could mostly (but not entirely) be eliminated in a residential conversion and then a second stair could be put in there, but it might be too tight, and there's still the problem of where it terminates at ground level.  Regardless these are some significant factors to address.

Offline OCtoCincy

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2014, 12:37:45 PM »
It would absolutely work with no parking as nice apartments. I agree re: condos.  In cincinnati for the near future condos will need parking. Apartments you may now be able to get away with not having it.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 12:38:15 PM by OCtoCincy »

Offline hoerstw

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2014, 08:01:58 AM »
As of this morning there was a truck loading up everything from Brueggers and all the interior signage was being taken down. I would think they want to open up at a different location as the place was always busy.

A shame that this corner will be silent now.

Offline Cygnus

• Bringer of Balance
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2014, 10:09:45 AM »
So disappointing... What will the Bottomless Mug investors do with 5 months left in the year?!
"It's just fate, as usual, keeping it's bargain and screwing us in the fine print..." - John Crichton

Offline Jskinner

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2014, 11:47:53 AM »
..., the building has only one stairwell, and it dumps you into the lobby.  That's a grandfathered in condition to the extreme, but maybe by keeping the building as office they can leave it alone. ..
Wait, this 15 story building has only one exit stair?  That IS extreme.  Are there fire escapes in the back?

Offline jjakucyk

• 947'-Key Tower
    • Cincinnati Traction History
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2014, 11:55:13 AM »
^ Nope.  Granted it's all reinforced concrete (that's it's claim to fame after all), and it's fully sprinkled, but I'm surprised they haven't been required to do something about it.  There may be some serious occupancy limits imposed on the building because of that, but I don't really know.