Author Topic: Cincinnati: Clifton: Development and News  (Read 61208 times)

Offline taestell

• Premium Member
    • UrbanCincy
Re: Cincinnati: Clifton: Development and News
« Reply #385 on: March 29, 2014, 12:46:42 AM »
I wish the campus would build a tunnel between the medical campus and the main campus and promote walking and/or biking between them.  It seems ridiculous that people take those shuttle simply because it's an impossible intersection to cross.  If people are walking between them the space would really get activated.

We don't need a tunnel or a bridge. We just need the that intersection (and MLK in general) to be redesigned to be more pedestrian friendly and easier to cross. The traffic engineers went crazy and made it so "efficient" for cars that people can't cross.

Offline Rabbit Hash

• 665'-Queen City Square
    • Particularly Everything
« Reply #386 on: March 29, 2014, 06:09:35 PM »
I have to respectfully disagree with those who think the campus is bad.  I'm no professional but I have been a "user" for years. 

The easiest argument I can make is to remember what the campus looked and felt like in say, 1992.   It has been completely transformed for the better I almost every area.

It seems by nature of the topography that the campus was define to feel segmented. 

Offline Quimbob

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Banned!
    • Blogging Isn't Cool
« Reply #387 on: April 12, 2014, 01:03:15 AM »
Goessling agrees to sell the old IGA building to a neighborhood coop
http://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/hamilton-county/cincinnati/clifton/co-op-plans-to-open-grocery-at-former-kellers-iga-site-in-clifton
Now, we can wait 6 months....
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. - H. L. Mencken

Offline Wally

• 367'-PNC Bank
« Reply #388 on: August 21, 2014, 09:26:03 PM »
So apparently the City closed Clifton Hills Avenue for traffic coming from Central Parkway over to Ludlow?   I saw someone mention this in the streetcar thread earlier today, and I also noticed it firsthand a couple weekends ago. 

I'd be curious to see what the Gaslight district business owners think of this.  For those folks coming from I-74, the Central Parkway exit to Clifton Hills to Ludlow route was the quickest way to the Gaslight District, and this is the route that I would take when I head toward those businesses.  By blocking off Clifton Hills, it appears this would have a decrease on the traffic on Ludlow?  Less traffic = few customers?   I know that the CP exit from I-74 eventually goes away with the interstate reconstruction, but with so many other bars/restaurants up in the Clifton area, this seems like it would have a negative impact on the Ludlow business district.

Online Yves Behar

• 367'-PNC Bank
« Reply #389 on: August 22, 2014, 12:16:23 AM »
buncha yuppie b@stards probably petitioned the city for it.

Offline OCtoCincy

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #390 on: August 22, 2014, 11:38:28 AM »
Actually, it was the request of CTM & all of the (mostly) middle aged residents of Clifton Hills Ave. If you've ever been to Clifton Hills Ave you would know the homes are not owned by "yuppie bastards".

Apparently, the majority of the people who use Clifton Hills as a cut through are Hospital employees who don't want to take MLK.  The City said the majority of the traffic on CH as a cut through occurs between 6-8AM and 5-7PM.  I don't think this is the best solution, but Clifton Hills is a strange street. It has no sidewalks and no street lights (was built post war).  Many students at DePaul Cristo Rey get dropped off on the bus stops on Ludlow and walk in the street on Clifton Hills to get to school.  Residents have asked for sidewalks, but City has said it's too expensive.

Offline jmicha

• 665'-Queen City Square
« Reply #391 on: August 22, 2014, 11:46:03 AM »
Am I the only one that thinks you're not allowed to bitch about traffic using your road as a cut through when it's designed as a cut through? It's not like the road was a dead end when they moved in and was modified. Their lack of observation when purchasing a house shouldn't affect others.

It's also absurd when I can guarantee these people have used other streets as cut-throughs at some point or another. Deal with it.

Offline Jskinner

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #392 on: August 22, 2014, 12:19:38 PM »
While I understand the resident's concerns, maybe they should have waited until the new I-75/MLK/Central Parkway/Hopple intersection is completed, then cars would have not reason to use this cut through.  But now traffic is such a cluster, all through streets should serve as emergency relief.

Offline Wally

• 367'-PNC Bank
« Reply #393 on: August 22, 2014, 12:54:31 PM »
So with Clifton Hills closed to through traffic, is it possible to cut through Cincinnati State's campus from CP over to Ludlow? 

In looking at Google Maps aerials, I don't see any gates that would prohibit cutting through their campus. 

Offline gaslight

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #394 on: August 22, 2014, 01:21:01 PM »
So with Clifton Hills closed to through traffic, is it possible to cut through Cincinnati State's campus from CP over to Ludlow? 

In looking at Google Maps aerials, I don't see any gates that would prohibit cutting through their campus. 

^
Yes this can be done.

Online jmecklenborg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • http://www.cincinnati-transit.net
« Reply #395 on: August 22, 2014, 01:23:41 PM »

Yes it can be done.  But the way REAL west siders do it is to simply pull a U when exiting from I-75. 

Offline ryanlammi

• Global Moderator
  • Wololoo
    • Flickr Profile
« Reply #396 on: September 09, 2014, 02:22:34 PM »
The Clifton Market seems to be doing pretty well in fundraising to purchase the old IGA and open a co-op. Shares are $200. If you have extra money lying around you can also choose to provide a loan to the market of $1,000 or more.

So far they have 696 shareholders and they have raised about 1/3 of the money needed to proceed.
"We both would have looked silly if he came in, got out and came back in.

- Tim Burke, Hamilton County Democratic Party Chairman

Flickr Profile

Offline Cliftonite

• New User
« Reply #397 on: September 25, 2014, 10:12:25 PM »
While I understand the resident's concerns, maybe they should have waited until the new I-75/MLK/Central Parkway/Hopple intersection is completed, then cars would have not reason to use this cut through.  But now traffic is such a cluster, all through streets should serve as emergency relief.

Did you know that this intersection cannot be completed on the original timeline set by ODOT?  It is now in delay because Cinci State asked for the I-74 exit to Central Pkwy to remain open.  City pushed for this to support Cinci State.  ODOT has now added at least 3-4 more years to the project while City and Cinci State figure out a new connector road project.  This delay is preventing the new ramp from Hopple intersection to I-75 north from being installed.   Further, the protected bikeway on Central Pkwy cannot be extended all the way to Ludlow because of all these delays.

The residents were willing to wait until the original schedule, but the extra years ODOT now indicates was too much for residents to handle.  New traffic studies indicate Clifton Hills Ave was carrying several thousand cars per day.  Most of them during early morning rush and second big spike at evening rush.   It's a real mess.  Primary concerns are safety for all the kids walking from Ludlow to Cristo Del Ray school.  There are no sidewalks and way too many cars.

Offline Cliftonite

• New User
« Reply #398 on: September 25, 2014, 10:17:12 PM »
The Clifton Market seems to be doing pretty well in fundraising to purchase the old IGA and open a co-op. Shares are $200. If you have extra money lying around you can also choose to provide a loan to the market of $1,000 or more.

So far they have 696 shareholders and they have raised about 1/3 of the money needed to proceed.

The co-op is paying the mortgage for Mr. Goessling.  I don't know where they are getting the money to do that.  Seems to me that they are biting off too large a project.  They advise they need a total of around $4 million to buy, build out, stock, etc. the store.   Worse is they are overpaying for the building.  It is not worth $1.6 million.  Worth closer to $1 million.  So those loans are going towards overpayment of the building.   Why are they paying so much?  I guess they feel bad that Mr. Goessling is under water on his mortgage.  That's a bad business decision by the co-op, and this is not a good way to launch a new business.    I'm not anti co-op.  I think a co-op in a smaller building would be a smarter way to startup.  There's the old Jagdeep's Grocery spot that would work nicely.

Online jmecklenborg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #399 on: September 26, 2014, 02:00:55 AM »
The I-74/Central Parkway ramp is completely unnecessary.  Useful, of course, back when Lasalle High School held their five football games each fall at CTC.  Cranley is doing all of this based on that obscure cultural memory aimed at *county* voters who *might* vote for him in a congressional election *if* they're actually in his district, which LaSalle MOMS and alumni generally will not be. 
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 06:14:25 AM by jmecklenborg »

Offline taestell

• Premium Member
    • UrbanCincy
« Reply #400 on: September 28, 2014, 02:10:07 PM »

Did you know that this intersection cannot be completed on the original timeline set by ODOT?  It is now in delay because Cinci State asked for the I-74 exit to Central Pkwy to remain open.  City pushed for this to support Cinci State.  ODOT has now added at least 3-4 more years to the project while City and Cinci State figure out a new connector road project.  This delay is preventing the new ramp from Hopple intersection to I-75 north from being installed.   Further, the protected bikeway on Central Pkwy cannot be extended all the way to Ludlow because of all these delays.

The residents were willing to wait until the original schedule, but the extra years ODOT now indicates was too much for residents to handle.  New traffic studies indicate Clifton Hills Ave was carrying several thousand cars per day.  Most of them during early morning rush and second big spike at evening rush.   It's a real mess.  Primary concerns are safety for all the kids walking from Ludlow to Cristo Del Ray school.  There are no sidewalks and way too many cars.

That's incredible. So are we going to be stuck with that temporary ramp from Central Parkway to I-74 for years while they figure out the permanent solution?

Online jmecklenborg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #401 on: September 28, 2014, 02:39:58 PM »
And what is the delay with the city tearing down the abandoned homes and apartments on MLK?

Remove Ads