Author Topic: Newport, KY: Newport on the Levee  (Read 57913 times)

Offline RockyMountainHigh

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
Re: Newport, KY: Newport on the Levee
« Reply #385 on: January 08, 2014, 04:09:42 PM »
Hotel in works for Newport on the Levee
Staff Cincinnati Business Courier

A six-story hotel is in the works for the expansion of Newport on the Levee, WCPO reports.

Musselman Hotels LLC has applied for a rebate of up to $8.3 million in sales taxes over 10 years from the Kentucky Toursm Department Finance Authority for the $33.1 million project.

The request will be considered at a meeting in Frankfort on Wednesday, but final approval could take six to eight weeks.

http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/morning_call/2014/01/hotel-in-works-for-newport-on-the-levee.html

Would have preferred to read that a six-story hotel is going into The Banks instead.

What's the holdup there?

Offline seanian513

• 367'-PNC Bank
« Reply #386 on: January 08, 2014, 11:23:19 PM »
Great that this hotel is going in, but I thought that it might've been a different type of mixed use project.  Apartments are still planned and I thought the hotel and apartments would've been one building instead of two smaller ones. 

Offline OHKID

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #387 on: January 09, 2014, 08:04:44 AM »
Looks like NOTL is making a lot of good moves!

Possibly re-positioning itself as the more family-friendly alternative to the Banks? Wouldn't be a bad idea given the Aquarium is right there.

Offline The_Cincinnati_Kid

• 1450'-Willis Tower
  • The Big Daddy From Cincinnati
« Reply #388 on: April 10, 2014, 04:02:18 PM »
Newport on the Levee hotel project gets $8M

The planned hotel development near Newport on the Levee has been approved for $8 million in tax incentives, the Enquirer reports.

Louisville-based developer Musselman Hotels LLC received approval for the tax incentives from the Kentucky Tourism Development Finance Authority on Wednesday. The company is expected to create a $33 million, 150-room hotel across from Hofbrauhaus as well as another project in Frankfort using the funding.

http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/morning_call/2014/04/newport-on-the-levee-hotel-project-gets-8m.html
"Rock & Roll attained perfection in 1974, it's a scientific fact."- Homer Simpson

Offline Sherman Cahal

• Premium Member
    • UrbanUp
« Reply #389 on: April 10, 2014, 04:19:38 PM »
I'd rather see apartments go there, but this is still a good boost. One of the biggest problems with NOTL is that there is no good hotel within walking distance. The Travelodge is a hooker haven and while affordable, is well past its prime.

Offline KyleCincy

• 629'-Rhodes State Tower
« Reply #390 on: April 10, 2014, 04:43:24 PM »
Hotel in works for Newport on the Levee

A six-story hotel is in the works for the expansion of Newport on the Levee, WCPO reports.

Musselman Hotels LLC has applied for a rebate of up to $8.3 million in sales taxes over 10 years from the Kentucky Toursm Department Finance Authority for the $33.1 million project.

The request will be considered at a meeting in Frankfort on Wednesday, but final approval could take six to eight weeks.

http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/morning_call/2014/01/hotel-in-works-for-newport-on-the-levee.html

Would have preferred to read that a six-story hotel is going into The Banks instead.

What's the holdup there?

Footprint size at Banks would require a Hotel to X amount of stories tall (to be profitable # of rooms) but Mikey Boy doesn't want a
building of a certain height there.

Offline dlueg

• 279'-First Energy Center
« Reply #391 on: April 10, 2014, 04:57:55 PM »
i'm not sure mike brown has much/any control over the hotel site planned for "the banks" phase 1(c or d?) directly adjacent to gabp - be it height or anything else. and i do believe there was a 10+ story hotel supposed to be built on that site should an operator ever be found. now were they to attempt to put a hotel closer to pbs - i think he does have air rights over there, and would probably let his opinion be known.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 05:08:56 PM by dlueg »

Offline Jimmy_James

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #392 on: April 10, 2014, 09:45:36 PM »
I'd rather see apartments go there, but this is still a good boost. One of the biggest problems with NOTL is that there is no good hotel within walking distance. The Travelodge is a hooker haven and while affordable, is well past its prime.

From the article:

According to plans submitted to the state, construction on the project would begin in the summer, and the hotel would open in fall 2015. Itís part of a larger expansion planned for the mixed-use entertainment center, which includes the addition of an apartment development.

Probably not right away, but soon.  Sounds like good news for NOTL.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 09:46:09 PM by Jimmy_James »
"It is not a trolley."  -Milton Dohoney, Cincinnati City Manager

Offline thomasbw

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • www.cincystreetcar.tumblr.com
« Reply #393 on: April 11, 2014, 01:08:04 AM »
Ran by NOTL today; saw the new Dick's Last Resort. It's aptly subtitled the "Shame O' the River"

Online Cygnus

• Bringer of Balance
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #394 on: June 03, 2014, 04:09:14 PM »
Apartments planned next to Newport on the Levee

The developer of the Vue 180 apartments took six months to sell out all 93 units along Newport's riverfront this spring.

That's why the same developer, Capital Investment Group, is looking a few hundred feet upriver adjacent to Newport on the Levee to build another 230 upscale apartments.

The five-story apartment complex will go alongside an already-planned hotel on the parking lot next to the Levee and across from the Hofbrauhaus.

Cont
"It's just fate, as usual, keeping it's bargain and screwing us in the fine print..." - John Crichton

Offline KyleCincy

« Reply #395 on: June 03, 2014, 05:15:58 PM »
Apartments planned next to Newport on the Levee

The developer of the Vue 180 apartments took six months to sell out all 93 units along Newport's riverfront this spring.

That's why the same developer, Capital Investment Group, is looking a few hundred feet upriver adjacent to Newport on the Levee to build another 230 upscale apartments.

The five-story apartment complex will go alongside an already-planned hotel on the parking lot next to the Levee and across from the Hofbrauhaus.

Cont

The Hotel and Apartment building would be good for the Levee and Newport. Where I live on the River in Covington I can tell you that
The Marriott and DoubleTree Suites is really busy on Reds weekends in Covington. All of the parking here fills up and everyone
walks over Roebling to the Stadium. The Southbank Shuttle was a live saver when it was cold and I wanted to hit Downtown.

Offline Sherman Cahal

• Premium Member
    • UrbanUp
« Reply #397 on: Yesterday at 10:49:32 AM »

Nice!

Offline BlackBengal

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
« Reply #398 on: Yesterday at 10:53:04 AM »
Not as awful as Current at the Banks, but wouldn't you think they would want more height in that location?  The lower floors will be staring at a flood wall.  Why not take full advantage of the amazing views?
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 10:55:36 AM by BlackBengal »

Offline jjames0408

• 665'-Queen City Square
« Reply #399 on: Yesterday at 10:53:40 AM »
The apartments look pretty good...but that hotel?? Hmm.

Offline jmicha

« Reply #400 on: Yesterday at 11:14:45 AM »
Did CR design these? Sure looks like their special brand of crapitecture.

Offline OCtoCincy

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #401 on: Yesterday at 11:27:36 AM »
I think the Hotel design may be filler.  The actual design will flush out when they get an operator who brings in their specific designs to the project. 

I think many of us have been saying for years that one of Newport On the Levee's biggest issues (besides some bizarre second floor design choices) is the lack of a residential base in the area.  I'm convinced that adding an additional 300 residents next to NOTL will only help the development.  From DT and OTR riding a bike to NOTL is incredibly easy. Having 300+ new residents adjacent to it may bring in some higher quality vendors making the entire development move from attractive building materials with little purpose to something that blends suburban amenities in an urban setting. That parking lot was the biggest waste of space ever anyway.  Also, I'd bet a sizable amount of the residents of these apartments use Purple People bridge to get to jobs downtown. Happy this is finally happening.

As an aside, Monmouth Row, 2 blocks up the street is finished and will add ~130 new residents to Newport's downtown. The design is mostly decent, and of course, significantly better than the nearly block sized surface lot that it replaced.

Offline thomasbw

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • www.cincystreetcar.tumblr.com
« Reply #402 on: Yesterday at 11:32:58 AM »
I think the Hotel design may be filler.  The actual design will flush out when they get an operator who brings in their specific designs to the project. 

I think many of us have been saying for years that one of Newport On the Levee's biggest issues (besides some bizarre second floor design choices) is the lack of a residential base in the area.  I'm convinced that adding an additional 300 residents next to NOTL will only help the development.  From DT and OTR riding a bike to NOTL is incredibly easy. Having 300+ new residents adjacent to it may bring in some higher quality vendors making the entire development move from attractive building materials with little purpose to something that blends suburban amenities in an urban setting. That parking lot was the biggest waste of space ever anyway.  Also, I'd bet a sizable amount of the residents of these apartments use Purple People bridge to get to jobs downtown. Happy this is finally happening.

As an aside, Monmouth Row, 2 blocks up the street is finished and will add ~130 new residents to Newport's downtown. The design is mostly decent, and of course, significantly better than the nearly block sized surface lot that it replaced.

Would be a great location for a Red Bike Location.

Offline Eridony

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #403 on: Yesterday at 08:33:49 PM »
This is What the New Development at Newport on the Levee Will Look Like

Much better than the parking lot that is there now! A little taller would be nice of course.

Offline jjakucyk

• 947'-Key Tower
    • Cincinnati Traction History
« Reply #404 on: Yesterday at 09:08:52 PM »
I think there's some scale issues with that rendering.  It's a 7 story building but it looks more like 4, or else those are some big-ass cars! 

UrbanOhio.com Forum

« Reply #404 on: Yesterday at 09:08:52 PM »

Remove Ads