Author Topic: Cincinnati: Downtown: Eighth & Sycamore (Red Cross) Redevelopment  (Read 7492 times)

Offline atlas

• 947'-Key Tower
Re: Cincinnati: Downtown: Eighth & Sycamore (Red Cross) Redevelopment
« Reply #70 on: November 23, 2014, 11:45:39 PM »
By "lands" I mean how it meets the street. I'd like to see a close up rendering to see how it meets the street and how the first floor is articulated, if at all. I am concerned with how the corner (at 8th and Sycamore) is articulated and that massive blank wall that appears to flank the south side of the corner. The tower portion looks ok, but that base....oooohh that base.

The cladding looks like something out of the 1980s. Just not my taste.

As for the scale of the podium - it seems to be the verticality of it could be broke down more. Right now the window framing make for giant windows that look larger than they really are and seem a bit....big....for an otherwise smaller podium.

Offline atlas

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #71 on: November 24, 2014, 01:00:09 AM »
This is a podium+tower I like - the SLS Hotel + Residences currently under construction in Philly. And I'd say it's still fairly safe/conservative.
Not that this is entirely appropriate for a residential only building, but I much prefer material use, how the podium doesn't come off as just another box plopped on a site and the generous height of the first floor retail. 
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 01:53:56 AM by atlas »

Offline urbanpioneer

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #72 on: November 24, 2014, 02:15:30 AM »
^Nice building for the location -- along a wide, boulevard-like street.

Senhauser's design seems more appropriate for its site though. 

I'm not sure that I like large-scale windows for downtown residential, considering our narrow streets.  Privacy issues and the challenges of window treatments where needed and how they may look from the outside are a concern.  At least @580 has dark glass that won't allow for a junky exterior look if people choose various window treatments here and there.  Landlords of buildings with such large windows may either need to provide uniform window treatments or impose some kind of lease restrictions on tenant-installed window treatments.  But perhaps special glazing (slightly reflective?) could solve the problem.

Offline urbanpioneer

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #73 on: November 24, 2014, 02:39:00 AM »
The cladding looks like something out of the 1980s. Just not my taste.

LOL!

Generally, Cincinnatians prefer the warmth and substantive appearance of brick as opposed to the type of cladding on the SLS International Hotel.  I seem to recall some criticism of Cesar Pelli's cladding choices for The Aronoff Center exterior, particularly the brick, when it was first built.

Offline ucgrady

• 367'-PNC Bank
« Reply #74 on: November 24, 2014, 08:13:26 AM »
I agree with most of the positives stated above with the exception of material. That generic peachy material could be anything from metal to granite to painted concrete to EIFs and until I know which one I will reserve judgement. The color also looks like it would fit in with the Covington river center, which isn't a complement.

Offline jmicha

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #75 on: November 24, 2014, 08:16:42 AM »
^I can guarantee you it's not painted concrete, definitely not EIFS, and it's unlikely it's 80s-esque granite.

Senhauser does fantastic work and wouldn't put his name on something that is poorly clad. I'm never concerned with material choices when he's involved.

If I had to guess as to what the materials are I'd first say stained concrete followed closely by metal.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 08:20:07 AM by jmicha »

Offline jmblec2

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
« Reply #76 on: November 24, 2014, 08:24:17 AM »
Does the building include balconies? I canít tell from the rendering.  I prefer the 4th street building.

Offline IAGuy39

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #77 on: November 24, 2014, 08:41:12 AM »
That would be cool if it was that type of metal that changes color over time, I believe CORTEN Steel.  I don't know why I just think it looks neat.

The second tallest building in Des Moines, IA is made of CORTEN Steel and it gives it a unique look, IMO.

Anyways, how tall does this building look?  Is it over 300'?

Offline jmicha

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #78 on: November 24, 2014, 08:42:06 AM »
At the last planning meeting they mentioned a conceptual height of 290 feet. So it's around 300 feet tall. That's really significant for this spot.

Offline Sherman Cahal

• Premium Member
    • UrbanUp
« Reply #79 on: November 24, 2014, 09:49:31 AM »
Looks like:

Waterfront Park Place in Louisville

Offline natininja

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #80 on: November 24, 2014, 10:08:27 AM »
As for the scale of the podium - it seems to be the verticality of it could be broke down more. Right now the window framing make for giant windows that look larger than they really are and seem a bit....big....for an otherwise smaller podium.

I think that's a parking garage, so yeah the windows are weird looking.
CINCINNATI: European charm at Midwest prices!

Offline jmicha

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #81 on: November 24, 2014, 10:13:46 AM »
^The part facing Sycamore is townhomes. The garage is behind that. Those windows appear to be two story living spaces for the townhomes.

Offline natininja

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #82 on: November 24, 2014, 10:16:42 AM »
Ah, okay. My bad.
CINCINNATI: European charm at Midwest prices!

Offline jmicha

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #83 on: February 16, 2015, 07:48:21 PM »
I have it on good authority that Senhauser's office is in the thick of developing the construction documents for this project. It's definitely more than a concept at this pont.

Remove Ads