Remove Ads

Author Topic: Cincinnati: Crime Discussion  (Read 221237 times)

Offline OTR

• 665'-Queen City Square
  • Over-the-Rhine
    • OTR Blog
Re: Cincinnati: Crime Discussion
« Reply #1995 on: July 27, 2012, 09:58:01 AM »
Edit: nevermind
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 11:12:34 AM by OTR »

Offline ryanlammi

• Global Moderator
  • Wololoo
    • Flickr Profile
« Reply #1996 on: July 27, 2012, 10:37:08 AM »
^^^^ Wow, I feel sorry for you having to walk by a cloud of pot smoke. That must be a really painful experience.

Don't patronize me. I am completely fine with weed. I don't care if people smoke and I think it should be fully legalized. Until it is actually legal, I think if you want to smoke you should do it in the privacy of your home. It doesn't help to have people using illegal drugs (regardless of my aforementioned opinion on weed) in a neighborhood with a reputation for drug trafficking and violence. It gives off the impression that the neighborhood isn't safe and the police don't enforce laws. If that is one of Joe Cincinnati's first impressions of OTR it could have a lasting, negative impact on his perception of OTR/downtown.

It also doesn't help the legalization argument when those same people are yelling at people walking down the street and throwing their trash all over. It gives weed a bad name and something for the social conservatives to point at.
"We both would have looked silly if he came in, got out and came back in.”

- Tim Burke, Hamilton County Democratic Party Chairman

Flickr Profile

Offline mcadrenaline

• 629'-Rhodes State Tower
« Reply #1997 on: July 27, 2012, 06:29:45 PM »
^^^^ Wow, I feel sorry for you having to walk by a cloud of pot smoke. That must be a really painful experience.

Don't patronize me. I am completely fine with weed. I don't care if people smoke and I think it should be fully legalized. Until it is actually legal, I think if you want to smoke you should do it in the privacy of your home. It doesn't help to have people using illegal drugs (regardless of my aforementioned opinion on weed) in a neighborhood with a reputation for drug trafficking and violence. It gives off the impression that the neighborhood isn't safe and the police don't enforce laws. If that is one of Joe Cincinnati's first impressions of OTR it could have a lasting, negative impact on his perception of OTR/downtown.

It also doesn't help the legalization argument when those same people are yelling at people walking down the street and throwing their trash all over. It gives weed a bad name and something for the social conservatives to point at.
Yes. thank you.

Offline JohnClevesSymmes

• 468'-Scripps Center
  • Excess ain't rebellion
« Reply #1998 on: July 27, 2012, 11:33:27 PM »

Yes. thank you.

ryanlammi you perfectly articulated my exact thoughts on this subject

Offline natininja

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #1999 on: July 28, 2012, 03:06:46 AM »
What you guys are advocating for is discriminatory policing. You know how people say drug laws are racist? This is why. If it happens in the hood, it's a problem. If it happens on campus, no big deal. I've seen hipsters smoking weed in the patio at Neon's and the parking lot at Grammer's. I would find it outrageous if someone called the police on them. I find it equally outrageous that you guys want to call the police on someone smoking on the stoop outside their house.

Worry about the litter and harassment. On Walnut or anywhere. Don't pick and choose what is offensive based on the socioeconomic status of who's doing it.

Offline unusualfire

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #2000 on: July 28, 2012, 03:13:11 AM »
^ I agree. They need to tackle the bigger crimes.

Offline ryanlammi

• Global Moderator
  • Wololoo
    • Flickr Profile
« Reply #2001 on: July 28, 2012, 03:50:09 AM »
^^ Both of the instances you mentioned were on private property away from the street and the public. These could give bad impressions of those businesses, but not the neighborhood as a whole (IMO). It should be the business' responsibility to act in their own interests and kick them out as they see fit to please the rest of their customers. Police are not walking by there and intentionally ignoring the activity. I think it is completely different from smoking on the sidewalk because you know the cops will turn a blind eye.

Furthermore, if I am smoking on the sidewalk I fully expect an officer strolling by to confront me about it and enforce the laws. I know that if I was smoking weed in Clifton Heights (say on West Clifton) I would be confronted if a cop passed by me. Why are the laws enforced differently there than in OTR? And to be clear, I am not advocating calling the police because I think that would create tension between the old residents and new residents. I just want the police to enforce it on their own.

Flickr Profile

Offline OTR

• 665'-Queen City Square
  • Over-the-Rhine
    • OTR Blog
« Reply #2002 on: July 28, 2012, 11:33:10 AM »
What you guys are advocating for is discriminatory policing. You know how people say drug laws are racist? This is why. If it happens in the hood, it's a problem. If it happens on campus, no big deal. I've seen hipsters smoking weed in the patio at Neon's and the parking lot at Grammer's. I would find it outrageous if someone called the police on them. I find it equally outrageous that you guys want to call the police on someone smoking on the stoop outside their house.

Worry about the litter and harassment. On Walnut or anywhere. Don't pick and choose what is offensive based on the socioeconomic status of who's doing it.

If any of that was directed at me, here's my response:

I would never call the police on someone smoking something no matter the location. I will call the police from now on when I'm harassed, drugs are offered to me, or I witness a drug deal mere feet from my face - especially in OTR whether it's 13th and Walnut, 12th and Clay, on Main, at Elm and Liberty, on Sycamore, at Vine and Green or on 12th in Pendleton.

Discriminatory policing? Racism? Hardly - the fact that any of this sh!t is tolerated at all by any of the people who witness it is despicable. I'm not happy that I've let a lot of stuff slide in OTR that would never be tolerated in, say, my parents' neighborhood.

If we want OTR to change for the better, we, as citizens, must hold it to the same standard to which we hold other neighborhoods. OTR's continued growth is far from guaranteed and one tragic incident could severely derail the neighborhood's rebirth.

An increased police presence in these trouble areas is absolutely necessary.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 11:33:50 AM by OTR »

Offline Sherman Cahal

• Premium Member
    • UrbanUp
« Reply #2003 on: July 29, 2012, 02:02:15 AM »
Thank you.

Online subocincy

• 574'-Carew Tower
  • I thirst for all things Cincinnati...
« Reply #2004 on: July 29, 2012, 03:54:43 AM »
^^ Double that--amen, OTR! ^^

Offline Ram23

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #2005 on: August 08, 2012, 03:48:08 AM »
OTR murder suspect returned to Hamilton County

Here's the guy who is being charged with the shootings on the 1600 block of Walnut a few weeks ago: http://cincymugshots.com/inmate-permalink.php?txtSearch=Amison%2C+Virgil

You can check him out on the Clerk of Court via the link above.  He's got nearly 70 charges, many violent, since he turned 18 in 2000, and who knows how many before then.  He has a similar rap sheet to his victim.

Offline Sherman Cahal

• Premium Member
    • UrbanUp
« Reply #2006 on: August 08, 2012, 06:03:02 AM »
I've seen him around. It's hard to miss a thug with tattoos that crawl up his neck. Stay classy.

Offline FakeCinEnquirer

• 771'-Terminal Tower
  • www.twitter.com/fakeenquirer
    • Fake Cincinnati Enquirer
« Reply #2007 on: August 18, 2012, 02:28:51 AM »
Guess how many murders have been in Avondale this year...Just guess...

Got a number?  Well you're wrong.  It's ZERO

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20120817/NEWS/308170127&Ref=AR

Offline Quimbob

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • Blogging Isn't Cool
« Reply #2008 on: August 18, 2012, 07:01:59 AM »
Guess how many murders have been in Avondale this year...Just guess...
Got a number?  Well you're wrong.  It's ZERO
http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20120817/NEWS/308170127&Ref=AR
yeah, but it's not like people haven't been trying. The article cites a number of shootings.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. - H. L. Mencken

Offline mcadrenaline

« Reply #2009 on: August 20, 2012, 11:34:25 PM »
Really interesting to see the problem spots in OTR become very clear...

OVER-THE-RHINE — A man was shot in the head late Monday outside Kroger, 1420 Vine St., Cincinnati police said this morning.

The victim was talking with first responders at the scene immediately following the 8 p.m. attack and is expected to recover, police said.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20120821/NEWS/308210012/Two-overnight-shootings-Cincinnati?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

Offline CincyGuy45202

« Reply #2010 on: August 21, 2012, 08:48:32 AM »
This also reminds us that homeless people aren't committing violent crimes. How many shootings happen at 12th &elm or 15th & elm, etc. all of these crimes are from people loitering all day but who often live in a nearby building but don't have to work to live. At least the guy asking for money or selling streetvibes is doing SOMETHING. The guys loitering at 13th & walnut and 15th & vine contribute nothing to society but take up a lot of our policing resources.

Offline GCrites80s

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Running Free
« Reply #2011 on: August 22, 2012, 04:36:02 AM »

Offline unusualfire

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #2012 on: November 05, 2012, 09:47:24 AM »
Although there has been 3 murders the past week in Cincinnati. Cincinnati is on pace to have the fewest murders  in a decade.

Offline nicklaboffe

• 0'-Surface Lot
    • The Tadcasters
« Reply #2013 on: November 19, 2012, 06:42:22 AM »
Kids...

I've ran into the same group of kids twice.  4 African American kids probably age 14-15ish, dressed in prep attire (tan khakis). I've seen them during the day and at night. I watched the group walk down republic checking for unlocked cars. Today as I was walking back to work from OTR they followed me and threw rocks.  Apparently they liked my ray ban sunglasses.  This happened on chestnut between central and john. 

Watch yourself out there. Had I not looked behind me I probably would have been hit in the back of the head.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 06:43:23 AM by nicklaboffe »

Offline JohnClevesSymmes

• 468'-Scripps Center
  • Excess ain't rebellion
« Reply #2014 on: November 19, 2012, 06:53:04 AM »
All males?

Offline nicklaboffe

• 0'-Surface Lot
    • The Tadcasters
« Reply #2015 on: November 19, 2012, 09:09:26 AM »
Correct. 

Do you know the group I'm talking about?

Offline JohnClevesSymmes

• 468'-Scripps Center
  • Excess ain't rebellion
« Reply #2016 on: November 19, 2012, 09:13:37 AM »
Possibly. I live in the area and I haven't seen them do anything suspicious, but I will keep my eyes peeled.

Offline CincyGuy45202

« Reply #2017 on: November 19, 2012, 10:55:17 AM »
I have seen them around 13th & vine and 13th & walnut. My neighbor said she saw them checking for unlocked doors inches and yelled at them.

Offline OTR

• 665'-Queen City Square
  • Over-the-Rhine
    • OTR Blog
« Reply #2018 on: November 20, 2012, 01:01:14 AM »
^you mean 15th/Vine?

Offline nicklaboffe

• 0'-Surface Lot
    • The Tadcasters
« Reply #2019 on: November 20, 2012, 01:02:00 AM »
I've lived in OTR for a couple years and have never felt this nervous to walk to and from work up until now. For a few minutes I thought I was going to get jumped.  I can tell these kids are going to be a real problem.  They have the no fear lets be tough attitude. 

Offline ryanlammi

• Global Moderator
  • Wololoo
    • Flickr Profile
« Reply #2020 on: November 20, 2012, 03:53:50 AM »
Hyde Park Flasher Strikes Again!!

Police say the suspect has flashed women in Hyde Park and Oakley about 10 times over the last two years.

He approaches them and speaks with them. Once he has the woman’s attention, he exposes himself and fondles himself.

Flickr Profile

Offline Living in Gin

• The architect of good taste
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • Living in Gin
« Reply #2021 on: November 20, 2012, 03:56:41 AM »
Sounds like a job for Shadow Hare.
It's all fun and games until somebody gets burned at the stake.

Offline Sherman Cahal

• Premium Member
    • UrbanUp
« Reply #2022 on: November 20, 2012, 11:32:07 AM »
Although there has been 3 murders the past week in Cincinnati. Cincinnati is on pace to have the fewest murders  in a decade.

Still sucks when a prostitute (Candance Demoss) is killed right outside my house while I'm gone on a trip. Much thanks to the drug-dealing neighbor that the police won't bust and who is still free (for now).

Offline Matthew Hall

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #2023 on: November 20, 2012, 12:47:01 PM »
Tell the police. Your information is valuable to them in planning their activities. You aren't bothering them. They want to know what has happened to you and appreciate your cooperation. Each district has a resource officer whose job is to connect with people in the area and you can email the district commanders as well. Take photos or videos with your phone. Send the photos or video to the police. We pay a lot to the police. Let's get our money's worth. Here is a link: http://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/police/contact-us/.

Offline Sherman Cahal

• Premium Member
    • UrbanUp
« Reply #2024 on: November 20, 2012, 02:19:24 PM »
Trust me, I've done that. Our neighbors have done that. They want his supplier, he's low-ball - that is, until the murder. I didn't know until that happened that he was operating a whore house.

Offline CincyGuy45202

« Reply #2025 on: November 20, 2012, 02:37:55 PM »
^you mean 15th/Vine?

No, 13th between republic and vine.

Offline CincyGuy45202

« Reply #2026 on: November 20, 2012, 02:39:55 PM »

Still sucks when a prostitute (Candance Demoss) is killed right outside my house while I'm gone on a trip. Much thanks to the drug-dealing neighbor that the police won't bust and who is still free (for now).

She was a prostitute?  Yikes. She had virtually nothing in her record that implies she's a prostitute. And news reported she had two kids, age 4 and 2 even though she's only 20.  Crazy.

Offline CincyGuy45202

« Reply #2027 on: November 20, 2012, 02:40:34 PM »
Hyde Park Flasher Strikes Again!!

Police say the suspect has flashed women in Hyde Park and Oakley about 10 times over the last two years.

He approaches them and speaks with them. Once he has the woman’s attention, he exposes himself and fondles himself.

I'm amazed this guy hasn't been caught by now.

Offline Sherman Cahal

• Premium Member
    • UrbanUp
« Reply #2028 on: November 20, 2012, 03:15:07 PM »

She was a prostitute?  Yikes. She had virtually nothing in her record that implies she's a prostitute. And news reported she had two kids, age 4 and 2 even though she's only 20.  Crazy.

Apparently. She had no custody of the kids. Had theft, drug, OVR charges and more. I didn't know my neighbor had a side job until an officer told us about it.

But we've been marking plates by recording who comes in and out of the house for a while. We are also in the process of installing some cameras on our properties to watch his (discretely). And his landlord may evict him - he hasn't made his rent payments for a month or so.

Offline Quimbob

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • Blogging Isn't Cool
« Reply #2029 on: November 22, 2012, 01:11:03 AM »

Apparently. She had no custody of the kids. Had theft, drug, OVR charges and more. I didn't know my neighbor had a side job until an officer told us about it.

I'd be leery of saying she was a prostitute without being sure but you're probably right.
Think this was just turf BS?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 01:17:21 AM by Quimbob »
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. - H. L. Mencken