Remove Ads

Author Topic: Akron: Random Development News & Info  (Read 145631 times)

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
Re: Akron-Summit: Random Development News & Info
« Reply #140 on: December 15, 2009, 05:41:41 AM »
Akron animal group plans new building

One of a Kind Pet Rescue will add retail space and kennel areas by razing W. Market St. bowling alley

By Kathy Antoniotti
Beacon Journal staff writer

The building, slated to open in October, will sit behind the Walgreens drugstore about one-eighth mile west of the current location. The former Fairlawn Bowling Lanes will be razed after the first of the year to make room for the adoption center, said Georjette Thomas, director of organization advancement for the group.

http://www.ohio.com/news/79286442.html

This is great news, not only for the area, but also for the city as it seems that more people are starting to build and invest.

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #141 on: February 19, 2010, 03:08:46 AM »
/\/\/\
WOW! There is a lot going on it that article! Big shot in the arm for Canton!

Bridgestone Americas holds groundbreaking event for tech center
By Paula Schleis
Beacon Journal business writer

http://www.ohio.com/business/84723322.html

Offline KJP

• Global Moderator
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #142 on: March 11, 2010, 02:22:49 AM »
This sucks....

175-year-old home razed: Historic Olin House in Franklin Township was owned by Akron
March 11, 2010
Matt Fredmonsky
Record-Courier staff writer

The city of Akron razed a 175-year-old piece of Portage County history this week when crews demolished the Olin House in Franklin Township, one of about 42 properties countywide on the National Register of Historic Places.

Arvin Olin built the Franklin Township homestead at Diagonal and Ravenna roads in 1835 practically of solid brick. He had settled in the township a year earlier.

READ MORE AND SEE PICTURES OF THE HOUSE AT:
http://www.recordpub.com/news/article/4786281
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 02:23:50 AM by KJP »
"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts... for support rather than illumination." ~Andrew Lang

Offline Gramarye

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #143 on: March 11, 2010, 05:43:06 AM »
I don't really understand what makes or made that structure "historic," other than the construction date.  But then again, I'm a self-confessed Neanderthal when it comes to "historical" structures.  Something like the Stark County Courthouse, I get.  This just looks like a brick house to me.

Offline Keith

• Premium Member
« Reply #144 on: March 11, 2010, 07:19:10 AM »
It was a very old house, and somewhat interesting architecturally, but not historic. Still sad to see it go though.

I grew up about a 2 miles from there and can recall referring to it as the "haunted house". It was abandoned and falling apart back in the 80s, I can't imagine how bad it must have been recently. I always found it interesting that it was a match (pretty much) to the flower shop on St Rt 14 in Streetsboro.

For comparison here's the house that was knocked down, http://tinyurl.com/y925j78
And here's its much better cared for twin, http://tinyurl.com/ya35f6b
Occasionally known as Grumpy.

Online X

• Global Moderator
« Reply #145 on: March 11, 2010, 01:19:34 PM »
Well, I don't know for sure, but by the age I'd guess there are a few likely possibilities for why it is considered "historic"

1). It was one of the first generation of permanent structures built in the area- and probably could be considered a good example of Western Reserve style architecture.  Most earlier structures than that would have been crude cabins or trade posts.

2). The family that built it, or one later associated with it, was prominent in the history of the area.  It'd be hard for a family arriving in the Western Reserve in the 1830's not to be prominent in the area, as they tended to be the ones to do important firsts that are necessary in settling a new land- set up the first general store, or mill, or post office.

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #146 on: March 12, 2010, 04:12:29 AM »
Traffic planner touts benefits of slimmer streets

By Katie Byard

Jason Schrieber wants us to think narrow as in narrower streets.

That was just one of the suggestions Schrieber, a transportation planner, gave at a presentation Tuesday on creating a better balance between cars and other ways of getting around in neighborhoods.

Slimming down streets by adding turn lanes and bike lanes and extending curbs can have the effect of ''calming'' or slowing traffic, Schrieber said at the Urban Innovators Speaker Series.

http://www.ohio.com/news/87282382.html

Offline Gramarye

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #147 on: March 12, 2010, 04:30:44 AM »
I've never understood the entire concept of "traffic calming."  These kinds of measures would have the exact opposite effect of "calming" me when I'm trying to get around.

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #148 on: March 12, 2010, 04:55:49 AM »
I've never understood the entire concept of "traffic calming."  These kinds of measures would have the exact opposite effect of "calming" me when I'm trying to get around.

I think it would be a shock to most people at first.  Americans don't know how to operate w/o their car.  The idea is to make areas more friendly for pedestrians.  Most people don't walk b/c either there are no sidewalks, they feel the areas are unsavory, or are lazy or in a hurry.  Fact of the matter is how much time do you really save driving somewhere that you could walk?  Until you get in your car, go through stops, find parking.  I don't mean downtown even, I'm talking at a strip mall or something. 
The main idea is to get people to start using public transportation and walking; therefore ACTIVATING the area which promotes business and livability.

Offline Gramarye

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #149 on: March 12, 2010, 05:08:32 AM »
No, I walk to work and wherever else I can; driving gets me in a bad mood.  I live four blocks from work, so unless I'm carrying something heavy to or from the office, there's no sense driving.  However, when I want to head down to the Aldi--or to get out of town to see my SO out in the suburbs--the last thing I want is to be deliberately slowed in order to protect jaywalkers.  (Obviously, crosswalks are a different story.)  I'm with the much-loathed-among-urbanists traffic engineers on this point: the primary purpose of a street is utilitarian.  It is to get people from Point A to Point B efficiently.  Beautification measures that interfere with the utilitarian purpose of streets (or any other public infrastructure) are inherently suspect, and deliberately attacking the entire concept of utilitarianism (i.e., trying to reorient priorities to say that the purpose of streets *isn't* for movement, and therefore there's nothing conceptually wrong with retarding movement along them) is an absolute non-starter, as far as I'm concerned.

Also, my walk to work takes me across Cedar and Exchange, both one-way.  I haven't found it problematic.

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #150 on: March 12, 2010, 05:32:16 AM »
I applaud your initiative to walk.  Unfortunately you only find a handful of people willing to do that and half of them are on this board. 
I will however disagree with the fact that "the primary purpose of a street is utilitarian.  It is to get people from Point A to Point B efficiently"
In most areas, this is true; most are arterial streets.  I would not consider urban streets to serve this purpose, which is where measures like this would be proposed.  Urban streets are part of the composition of the urban setting as a whole.  These thought as a "whole" is what activates downtown areas.  That sense has been lost in most and is why downtowns in general are dead.  A good example is Cleveland which is on the way back up with the major improvements that have been made to Euclid Ave.

As a side for others, I came across this article printed today on Philadelphia implementing bike lanes:

Urban cycling jumped 48% in the past decade:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/story/2010/03/11/ST2010031100069.html
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 05:34:17 AM by yanni_gogolak »

Offline Gramarye

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #151 on: March 12, 2010, 05:38:51 AM »
Driving along Euclid is absolutely nightmarish; I've had one near-death experience (literally) with the Rapid and once almost got out of my car in the middle of the street and walked because of gridlock (true gridlock) at Euclid & 9th ... I was trying to get to the Fifth Third building, barely three blocks away, and it took me almost fifteen minutes.  It should have taken two, tops.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 05:39:51 AM by Gramarye »

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #152 on: March 12, 2010, 08:41:06 AM »
Driving along Euclid is absolutely nightmarish; I've had one near-death experience (literally) with the Rapid and once almost got out of my car in the middle of the street and walked because of gridlock (true gridlock) at Euclid & 9th ... I was trying to get to the Fifth Third building, barely three blocks away, and it took me almost fifteen minutes.  It should have taken two, tops.

Ha, yea well, that's why you don't drive through there.  If you need to get somewhere quick you don't go through the hardest part.  It has been revived in the sense of activity and retail.  That's what makes a city, not how many cars can get from point A to B in a certain time.

Offline Gramarye

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #153 on: March 12, 2010, 08:47:31 AM »
Fair point.  Next time, when I need to get to Cleveland, I'll just take the train ...

... wait, whoops. :-(

Offline jam40jeff

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #154 on: March 12, 2010, 09:03:48 AM »
Fair point.  Next time, when I need to get to Cleveland, I'll just take the train ...

... wait, whoops. :-(

Just avoid Euclid and you'll be fine.

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #155 on: March 15, 2010, 06:29:34 AM »
Faith Family Church opens new home in former Hoover plant

By Colette M. Jenkins
Beacon Journal religion writer

JACKSON TWP.: Nearly 4,000 people showed up Sunday at the former Hoover Co. Industrial Park Plant to witness its transformation as a megachurch.

http://www.ohio.com/news/87621117.html

Park center gets natural look

District to celebrate reopening of refurbished Seiberling building

By Bob Downing

Welcome to the brand-new Seiberling Nature Realm, the nature center operated in Northwest Akron by Metro Parks, Serving Summit County.

http://www.ohio.com/news/87554412.html

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #156 on: March 15, 2010, 07:01:04 AM »
New Key Bank, Downtown Akron, apparently inspired by Tetris

Renovated and relocated historic Howe House

New U of A-Polymer Innovation Center

"All-America Bridge" next to Quaker Square, old bridge demolished currently

Offline Gramarye

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #157 on: March 15, 2010, 07:26:28 AM »
I think you'd need more colors for Tetris.  Monochrome Tetris kind of defeats the point.

I'd much rather see the Hoover factory still making sweepers, or anything involving taxpaying and job-creating commercial activity, but I guess this is better than the building standing vacant.

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #158 on: March 15, 2010, 08:25:52 AM »
I think you'd need more colors for Tetris.  Monochrome Tetris kind of defeats the point.

I'd much rather see the Hoover factory still making sweepers, or anything involving taxpaying and job-creating commercial activity, but I guess this is better than the building standing vacant.

True, there has been a lot of local negativity surrounding the takeover.  No manufacturing jobs and the church doesn't pay property tax since it's a non-profit.  NPR had a story on it last week:
http://www.wksu.org/news/story/25018

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #159 on: March 29, 2010, 11:34:48 PM »
Humane Society moves to new digs
By Rick Armon

http://www.ohio.com/news/top_stories/89463087.html

KeyBank plans for move
By Betty Lin-Fisher
Beacon Journal business writer

An awning outside the branch will have a ticker electronic display showing marketing messages and rates.

''We think that'll get additional flair,'' Tulodzieski said.
:wtf:

http://www.ohio.com/news/top_stories/89466497.html

Offline Gramarye

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #160 on: March 30, 2010, 12:19:16 AM »
Any word on what, if anything, might be moving into the old Key space at Bowery & Main?

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #161 on: March 31, 2010, 12:27:50 AM »
Any word on what, if anything, might be moving into the old Key space at Bowery & Main?

I haven't heard anything.  There are some other businesses in that building though.  I was surprised to read that they only leased that space.  Odd b/c they have their sign at the top of the building.

Offline Gramarye

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #162 on: March 31, 2010, 12:44:27 AM »
I don't think there's anything particularly unusual about that.  Many marquee tenants don't own their own office buildings; professional management companies do.  I'm pretty sure the Advanced Elastomer Systems building just a couple of blocks to the south, for example, isn't owned by AES.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 12:45:15 AM by Gramarye »

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #163 on: March 31, 2010, 01:00:17 AM »
I don't think there's anything particularly unusual about that.  Many marquee tenants don't own their own office buildings; professional management companies do.  I'm pretty sure the Advanced Elastomer Systems building just a couple of blocks to the south, for example, isn't owned by AES.

I understand that.  It makes sense that if a large company is leasing space under a contract that you would give them priviliges, or maybe they pay more for that.  The problem is when they leave and take their sign down the older, sometimes historic buildings are left with holes in the stone/ masonry and irregular weather in those spots.

Offline Gramarye

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #164 on: March 31, 2010, 01:07:13 AM »
Too true. :-(  Though I think the larger problem is the empty space on the inside of the buildings, not the outside.

I don't know the official figures, but just from walking around downtown at lunchtime and in the evenings, there are way too many "Space Available" signs up, including some on buildings that look to be in pretty good shape.  In addition, many of the largest buildings don't put up such signs, so if any of the towers in the Cascade area

Offline JamesMatthew

• 468'-Scripps Center
  • Very Interesting Indeed!!!
« Reply #165 on: April 02, 2010, 12:52:42 PM »
Havnt been on here in awhile..so heres my two cents..
I like whats being down around lock 3.. The new Key building is nice.. Akron needs more steel and glass structures.. (could have been taller though) 

I would love to see the area around gojo and spaghetti warehouse built up a bit more..  Oh..and when are we going to see that new downtown hotel?   I would love to see an art museum hotel like the one in louisville,ky..
You will never be a Leader unless you first learn to follow and be led!

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #166 on: April 03, 2010, 08:22:09 AM »
Too true. :-(  Though I think the larger problem is the empty space on the inside of the buildings, not the outside.

I don't know the official figures, but just from walking around downtown at lunchtime and in the evenings, there are way too many "Space Available" signs up, including some on buildings that look to be in pretty good shape.  In addition, many of the largest buildings don't put up such signs, so if any of the towers in the Cascade area

Very true.  DAP is working to get more small business downtown, maybe even do a market type setup.  As a side note, I looked up at the Key signage on the old building and it looks like its hung with hooks over the parapet,  not attached directly to the building. 

Havnt been on here in awhile..so heres my two cents..
I like whats being down around lock 3.. The new Key building is nice.. Akron needs more steel and glass structures.. (could have been taller though) 

I would love to see the area around gojo and spaghetti warehouse built up a bit more..  Oh..and when are we going to see that new downtown hotel?   I would love to see an art museum hotel like the one in louisville,ky..

The hotel should be officially announced in about 1-2 months.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 08:22:25 AM by yanni_gogolak »

Offline G-Mann17

• 279'-First Energy Center
« Reply #167 on: April 05, 2010, 01:36:42 AM »

If you have any other information on this please share.

I had heard several "theories" and rumors on something being attached to the Greystone or something being built around Canal Park.  Mostly though I had heard that hotels were reluctant to do anything without a commitment from the city to get more people downtown (meaning shows, expos, arena?)

Offline G-Mann17

« Reply #168 on: April 05, 2010, 01:37:06 AM »
oops  :-( repeat post
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 01:51:34 AM by G-Mann17 »

Offline G-Mann17

« Reply #169 on: April 05, 2010, 01:37:48 AM »
oops again
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 01:51:52 AM by G-Mann17 »

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #170 on: April 06, 2010, 01:16:25 AM »

If you have any other information on this please share.

I had heard several "theories" and rumors on something being attached to the Greystone or something being built around Canal Park.  Mostly though I had heard that hotels were reluctant to do anything without a commitment from the city to get more people downtown (meaning shows, expos, arena?)

I don't really have any concrete evidence, just some rumors.  Someone pointed and said, you should hear about a chain hotel there in about 1-2 months.  As far as location, let me put it this way.  There is one venue that already attracts out of town visitors, but can't get a large amount b/c of...no chain hotel.  People want to be able to reserve a hotel online, get to the hotel and walk to their destination as well as restaurants/nightlife.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 01:17:58 AM by yanni_gogolak »

Offline JamesMatthew

• 468'-Scripps Center
  • Very Interesting Indeed!!!
« Reply #171 on: April 08, 2010, 08:56:08 AM »

I know the Art Museum attracts alot of out of towners especially on free admission sundays.. the Knight Center is innovative on events that attract visitors..  You talking about one of those or another?

I've heard rumors of a Hyatt Regency trying to get into the Akron scene. It would def have to be somehow connected to the Knight center.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 08:56:37 AM by JamesMatthew »
You will never be a Leader unless you first learn to follow and be led!

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #172 on: April 09, 2010, 01:43:51 AM »
 2010 STATE-OF-THE-CITY ADDRESS
Plusquellic takes lead

Highland Square grocery and Goodyear complex are priorities for Akron

By Stephanie Warsmith

Akron wants to take the lead on bringing a grocery store to Highland Square, Mayor Don Plusquellic announced Thursday in his annual state-of-the-city speech.

The city is working on an agreement with Steve Albrecht and his real estate company to buy the buildings, property and parking lot that Albrecht owns in Highland Square for ''just their cost,'' Plusquellic said.

http://www.ohio.com/news/90331719.html

Offline yanni_gogolak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #173 on: April 14, 2010, 12:45:26 AM »
Board rejects State Road deal

By Betty Lin-Fisher,
Katie Byard
and Gina Mace
Beacon Journal writers

CUYAHOGA FALLS: A proposed $60 million retail development on the site of the former State Road Shopping Center has fallen through after the Cuyahoga Falls Board of Education rejected a tax-sharing plan.

The school board, in a 3-2 vote Monday, rejected the city's proposal to split tax revenues on improvements 78 percent to 22 percent, with the city taking most of the money to pay for its $13 million in costs to buy the land and make

http://www.ohio.com/news/90802359.html

Offline G-Mann17

« Reply #174 on: April 14, 2010, 01:01:00 AM »
Board rejects State Road deal

By Betty Lin-Fisher,
Katie Byard
and Gina Mace
Beacon Journal writers

CUYAHOGA FALLS: A proposed $60 million retail development on the site of the former State Road Shopping Center has fallen through after the Cuyahoga Falls Board of Education rejected a tax-sharing plan.

The school board, in a 3-2 vote Monday, rejected the city's proposal to split tax revenues on improvements 78 percent to 22 percent, with the city taking most of the money to pay for its $13 million in costs to buy the land and make

http://www.ohio.com/news/90802359.html

Yeah Cuyahoga Falls really let the school board "screw the pooch" on this one.  What part of $250,000 is more than 0 did they miss out on?  What because you want it 50/50 so that the city ends up defaulting on the debt?  They were also going to build housing in parts of that project and that revenue wouldn't have been part of the "in lieu of taxes" proposal, it was just for the retail.  Have fun getting money from the dirt piles that are there.