Remove Ads

Author Topic: Akron: Random Development News & Info  (Read 152596 times)

Offline Punch

• UO Supporting Moderator
Akron: Random Development News & Info
« on: April 25, 2005, 06:37:54 PM »
Quick blurb from the PD, probably more news tomorrow

More housing in downtown Akron

Akron Mayor Don Plusquellic today announced a $30 million, 91-unit housing development on the edge of downtown. The development will include condos and townhouses and will be partially subsidized by city. Units will cost $175,000 and up.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 03:18:28 PM by The ColDayMan »
Originally Punch, then CleveChiNola, now back to Punch.

Offline buildingcincinnati

• aka grasscat
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Building Cincinnati isn't a job, it's a lifestyle
    • Building Cincinnati
Re: Akron-Summit: Random Development News & Info
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2005, 07:12:16 PM »
I wonder if any of those are the same project as these that were announced last month:
http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php?topic=2657.0

I'm not sure because they're unnamed.
THE ColDayMan's sig solidifies my status as a UO Hall of Famer.

• aka grasscat
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • Building Cincinnati
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2005, 10:53:57 AM »
Here's the press release from the City if Akron website, 4/25/05:

Date: 4/25/05
Phone: 330-375-2538
Fax: 330-375-2335

NEW HOUSING PLANNED DOWNTOWN
OFFICE, RETAIL ALSO COMING ‘NORTHSIDE’

Mayor Don Plusquellic has revealed plans to construct the first new market-priced housing in Downtown Akron in 20 years. Nearly one hundred condominiums and town homes priced $175,000 and up will be erected in the Northside area by the locally-owned Testa Companies. Construction is set to begin this summer.

"This is the missing ingredient in Downtown's ultimate success," said Mayor Plusquellic. "People want to buy homes in the downtown area to be close to work, health care, education, and entertainment. We are pleased to be partners with Paul and Joel Testa who are known for high-quality development projects."

Northside Lofts and Townhomes will consist of three multistory buildings of 63 condominiums and 28 town homes plus 21,000 square feet of retail and office space. The new development will be built between the Northside area -- identified by many Akronites as the home of Luigi's pizza -- and Ridge Street, the site of the Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad's Downtown Akron station. Testa also proposes to construct a terraced walkway linking the train station to Northside restaurants and shops.

"It has been a dream of ours to create first-class housing in Downtown," said Joel Testa, chief operating officer of the Testa Companies. "My father and I feel a strong obligation to create something here that will last for decades and stimulate the revival of the entire area."

The new development of condos and town homes sits astride an area where multiple projects are already in progress:

* 1/2-mile to the northeast is the Hope 6 project that will replace AMHA's Elizabeth Park with 242 new rental units and 27 new homes for purchase, a blend of subsidized, affordable, and market-rate units.

* 1/4- mile to the north is the Cascade Locks Development Project centered on historic Mustill Store.

* 1/4 mile to the east is the $2.7 million construction of the Ohio & Erie Canal Towpath bikeway and hiking trail connecting Downtown with the Cuyahoga Valley National Park;

* 1 mile to the northwest is the Hickory Street Redevelopment Project of 36 new single family home sites, and a clustered development of 34 townhouses at Memorial Parkway.

"In addition to all we have going on," said Akron Planning Director Warren Woolford, "we are also excited about the planned expansion of nearby St.Vincent-St.Mary High School."

The total public and private investment in Northside Lofts and Townhomes will approach $30 million.

"This is no suburban green field," said the mayor. "It is a difficult site to build on, both from the standpoint of topography, and from the challenges presented by any development in an urban setting."

In addition to a high density of units, the city has insisted on parking of most vehicles below grade.

To enable the builder to borrow sufficient funds to meet the requirements of the city and to make the sale prices of the new homes affordable, Mayor Plusquellic outlined ways in which the city has and will invest in the project with the Testa Companies:

* The city has already acquired all the vacant land necessary, a $700,000 land-banking project that has been underway for several years, even prior to Testa's expressing interest in the area. Funds for acquisition came from the city's Community Development Block Grant funds (CDBG) from the federal government;

* $1.5 million in re-construction of North Howard, Ridge and High streets funded in part by Ohio Issue 2 money, which had been a planned improvement from the city's capital budget;

* $3.7million in tax increment financing (TIF), a value that will be captured from the improved value of the taxable real estate in the project. This will be the first time the city has used residential TIF for such a substantial project. The city will borrow the total sum now by issuing bonds, and the loan will be repaid over the coming years through increased tax payments to be made by the property owners. The Akron Public Schools will also share in the value of the improvements.

Terms regarding the use of TIF will be incorporated into a development agreement that is expected to be submitted to city council for approval prior to its recess in late July.

"Any day we can leverage $4 million to get $30 million in construction of new homes -- especially Downtown -- is a good day for the City," Plusquellic said.

http://www.ci.akron.oh.us/News_Releases/2005/0425.html

• aka grasscat
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • Building Cincinnati
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2005, 06:42:41 PM »
From the 11/3/05 Akron Beacon Journal:

RENDERING: This artist's rendering shows town homes and 10-story high-rises in the Northside Lofts project to be built downtown. A variety of units will be priced between about $170,000 and $684,000.

Housing touted as change for city
Downtown project using city tax incentive sells 27 units before start

By John Higgins
Beacon Journal staff writer

The developer seeking to bring big-city living to downtown Akron, Joel Testa, declared Wednesday at the groundbreaking for the Northside Lofts that the development will "change the face of Akron.''

The $35 million development on the north end of downtown, near Luigi's restaurant, has sold 27 of the first 32 units and will offer lofts, flats, penthouses and town homes priced between about $170,000 and $684,000.

The city kicked in a $3.7 million property tax incentive -- the first of its kind in Akron applied to a substantial housing development -- that will divert a share of property taxes that the new homeowners pay for 30 years to reimburse the city for its investment.

The development includes three parking decks for residents and area visitors and public "Grand Spanish stairs with cascading water walls connecting the Cuyahoga Valley Train Station to Northside and downtown.''

READ MORE AT:
http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/news/13069008.htm?source=rss&channel=ohio_news
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 11:03:50 PM by KJP »

Online MayDay

• Administrator
  • The HBIC from the CLE
    • Cleveland Skyscrapers
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2006, 07:47:16 PM »
Just an update from this weekend of the new Akron Art Museum - sorry the second pic is from a car but I was on a tight schedule:

Online ColDayMan

• Administrator
  • ♪♪ The HNIC of UO! ♪♪
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006, 01:44:26 AM »
Coming along nicely!
I love it when people come into a message board and immediately begin to mix it up.  I mean, Jesus, at least say hello!  Do you walk into a room full of strangers, pick a random woman, and tell her she's fat? - buildingcincinnati

Offline J. Dub

• 468'-Scripps Center
  • Cleveland to the Core
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2006, 10:13:33 AM »
I passed by the Art Museum about a week ago.  It's really starting to take shape. 

I really love the design on paper; can't wait to see the finished project.

Offline J. Dub

• 468'-Scripps Center
  • Cleveland to the Core
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2006, 10:22:44 AM »
Part of the Akron Public Schools construction projects.  Groundbreaking for this school (or community learning center, as they like to call them) was a while ago (I believe in August of '05).  Glad to see they are finally moving along with construction; this neigborhood has lacked an elementry school for years (one of the main reasons my parents sent me and my siblings to private school versus busing us across town to go to another public school).

From the Akron Beacon Journal 4/11/2006

New school goes forward
Akron neighborhood will get long-awaited Helen Arnold primary
By Stephanie Warsmith

Many in the Lane Field neighborhood noticed the continued emptiness of the land and worried.

Some whispered that perhaps the promised elementary school in a neighborhood that has been without one for more than two decades wouldn't be built.

For them, hearing that the Akron school board awarded contracts Monday for construction of the Helen Arnold Community Learning Center will be a relief.

More at ohio.com http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/news/14314628.htm
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 10:09:21 PM by MayDay »

Offline J. Dub

• 468'-Scripps Center
  • Cleveland to the Core
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2006, 09:54:36 AM »
From the Akron Beacon Journal 4/25/2006

Akron gets new critical-care unit
Summa's City Hospital ready to open first part of building to patients
By Cheryl Powell
Beacon Journal medical writer

Summa Health System is taking a critical step this week to expand care for the sickest and most severely injured patients.

After a decade of planning, Summa's Akron City Hospital is opening the first part of a new three-story building that's devoted entirely to intensive and coronary care.

More at ohio.com http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/14422357.htm
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 10:09:57 PM by MayDay »

Offline CornerCurve

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2006, 04:54:29 PM »
I don't think I read about this one anywhere else and I frankly can't believe I missed hearing about this until now, but here is the North Side Lofts in Akron (located next to the venerable Luigi's among others).

http://www.northsidelofts.com

And here are a few images from the site.

If you're on the Innerbelt going into Akron and have been wondering what that big yellow crane is, it's the North Side Lofts. Cheers to Akron for getting this one under way!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2006, 04:56:01 PM by CornerCurve »

Online ColDayMan

• Administrator
  • ♪♪ The HNIC of UO! ♪♪
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2006, 06:38:51 PM »
Nice!
I love it when people come into a message board and immediately begin to mix it up.  I mean, Jesus, at least say hello!  Do you walk into a room full of strangers, pick a random woman, and tell her she's fat? - buildingcincinnati

Offline J. Dub

• 468'-Scripps Center
  • Cleveland to the Core
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2006, 08:39:05 PM »
I believe there was something posted about these a while ago.  They are very nice; I wish I was in the market to buy.

Offline gotribe

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2006, 08:40:59 AM »
I have not heard of this developement.  It looks like the most significant residential developement in any of Ohio's downtownts.  Where did it emerge from? 

Offline WoollyBear

• I'm a Witness
  • 468'-Scripps Center
  • Born: Cleveland, Ohio
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2006, 09:00:49 AM »
WOW! :clap: That is definately the best residential project under construction in Ohio. I tried to get onto the web site but it was down. Can someone give me the location of this project? Is it in the heart of downtown?

Offline CornerCurve

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2006, 10:59:46 AM »
^It is very close to the heart of downtown. The best way I can describe its location is if you follow Main north, it lays just past rt. 57 on the hill to the valley that the Y Bridge crosses over to Cuyahoga Falls. Another way to describe it would be just to the north of Luigi's off of Furnace Street. I just tried the website and it worked for me, so you might want to give it another try.

I have not heard of this development.  It looks like the most significant residential development in any of Ohio's downtown ts.  Where did it emerge from? 

Check out this link for some idea of its origins. I'm sure there's more out there, but this is what a quick Google search found.

http://www.ci.akron.oh.us/News_Releases/2005/0425.html
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 11:00:10 AM by CornerCurve »

Offline gotribe

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2006, 11:21:12 AM »
Thanks cornercurve.  When you say you can see cranes from the innerbelt, which freeway is that.  8, 77 or 59.

Offline CornerCurve

• 468'-Scripps Center
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2006, 11:42:08 AM »
The innerbelt is 59 aka the Martin Luther King Freeway. For more info on the innerbelt check here:

http://www.akroninnerbelt.org/noflash/resources.php

...this was from a thread somewhere in UrbanOhio.

Offline Keith M.

• Carless in the Portland of the Midwest
  • Premium Member
    • Minneapolisite
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2006, 10:32:45 PM »
I hope this is where Ohio city rivalries could be a very good thing. I wouldn't mind seeing more and more bigger and better developments.

Offline audidave

• 574'-Carew Tower
  • Akron skyline
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2006, 11:09:11 PM »
i'll definitely consider living in the 2nd phase development in 3-4years.  Its a pretty good spot in Akron to be.  It has excellent views of downtown Akron with the about to be completed Akron Museum expansion in full view of this building.  The newly renovated Akron Public Library should be visible with its also very modern architure.  I imagine there are some eclectic views from this building with the Cuy Valley down the Northern expanse. Also St V -M(LeBron high) is expanding right across from Howard St. not sure what that will look like.  I expect also to be viewable are Tangiers domes,  Quaker Square silos, UA Polymer Sci building, and the Y-bridge.   

Offline smackem81

• 468'-Scripps Center
  • Lost in cul-de-sac
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2006, 12:21:42 AM »
I was looking at the rendering concept site on the link provided, and google earth, and I noticed a rail station. What is it used for? I recall the rail station is over by quaker square.

Offline C-Dawg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Detroit Junior
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2006, 12:29:53 AM »
That is definately the best residential project under construction in Ohio.

I think I'm going to have to agree. These are nice ass lofts!!

Offline urbanlife

• 665'-Queen City Square
  • don't be complacent. innovate.
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2006, 12:47:26 AM »
I was looking at the rendering concept site on the link provided, and google earth, and I noticed a rail station. What is it used for? I recall the rail station is over by quaker square.

Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad - http://www.cvsr.com/

It currently runs from Cleveland (southside) to Canton and has a number of partial and themed runs through the Cuyahoga Valley National Reserve.  It is also the line that could provide future commuter rail service into downtown Cleveland.
"Never mistake motion for action." - E. Hemingway

• aka grasscat
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • Building Cincinnati
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2006, 02:44:44 PM »
From the 5/11/06 Akron Beacon Journal:

PHOTO: Plans for Northside Lofts includes two 10-story buildings, 28 townhouses and more than 21,000 square feet of commercial space.

Lofty ideas rising near downtown
Furnace Street townhouse and condo complex will change views of city living, developer says

By Dave Scott
Beacon Journal business writer

Step out of your luxury condo, take the elevator down to the ground floor, walk north across the parking lot and you are at the edge of a hiking trail leading to the Cuyahoga Valley.

Head the other way, uphill, and you are at the edge of downtown.

If this doesn't change your view of Akron, then Joel Testa is out to change your mind -- and your way of living.

Testa Cos. of Cuyahoga Fallsis the main force behind a $35 million condo and townhouse complex going up on Furnace Street. The Northside Lofts project is intended to have two 10-story buildings and 28 townhouses and more than 21,000 square feet of commercial space.

Amenities at Northside Lofts
* Concierge offering hotel-like services.
* A limo kept on-site.
* A guest room available to be reserved by any resident.
* A 10th-floor patio-party area.
* Three restaurants, including at least one with upscale dining.
* At least one covered parking lot for every unit in the first two buildings.

READ MORE AT http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/living/community/14551976.htm?source=rss&channel=ohio_news

« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 11:05:05 PM by KJP »

Online surfohio

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • Out of Place: a portrait of surfing in Cleveland, Ohio
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2006, 03:13:25 PM »
Finally an article on the future stadium at The University of Akron....

http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/14875239.htm

GO ZIPS!!!!!!!
 8-)

• aka grasscat
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • Building Cincinnati
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2006, 01:28:11 AM »
From the 8/16/06 ABJ:

Kmart to perish quickly
Developers say they will demolish, rebuild on lot in Stow after store closes

By Mary Ethridge
Beacon Journal business writer

As soon as Kmart leaves the Stow Community Center in January, the wrecking ball will arrive at the popular shopping center.

Developers Diversified, the Beachwood-based company that owns the plaza, said it plans to demolish the Kmart section of the center, built in 1968, to make room for new tenants.

More at ohio.com
http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/business/15284716.htm?source=rss&channel=ohio_business
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 10:12:23 PM by MayDay »

Offline bizbiz

• 574'-Carew Tower
  • I Just Can't Get Enough.. OF CLEVELAND!
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2006, 12:15:16 PM »
Hey Akronites, what's the big construction site and crane right outside of downtown near Elizabeth Valley????? Saw it from RT-8 and was intrigued!

Offline audidave

• 574'-Carew Tower
  • Akron skyline
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2006, 07:36:44 PM »
^^BizBiz that is the Northside lofts. www.northsidelofts.com  Its phase one of 2.  Too bad you didn't get a closer look.  You would've seen construction going on not only there but also the wings over the art museum.

Offline akronurban

• 0'-Surface Lot
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2006, 02:07:20 PM »
Public meeting TONIGHT in Akron regarding Cascade Locks

Meeting to address Cascade Mills plans

AKRON: The Cascade Locks Park Association will hold a public meeting on its plans to mark the historic Cascade Mills.

The meeting will be at 7 p.m. Thursday at St. Vincent-St. Mary High School, 15 N. Maple St.

The association has formed a committee of interested parties and is working with consultants GPD Group to create open space where cereal magnate Ferdinand Schumacher's famous mill once stood along the Ohio & Erie Canal within the Cascade Locks Park.

Plans call for marking the footprint of the old building, adding a gateway structure at Howard and North streets and building trails and a public gathering place.

Offline noozer

• Global Moderator
  • Hail, Hail Freedonia....
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2006, 02:34:26 PM »
Knight Foundation gives $12 million to Akron projects

1:57 p.m.

The John S. and James L. Knight Foundation announced today that it is giving a total of $12 million to the the Akron Art Museum and the University of Akron.

A $10 million grant to the university will support the University Park Alliance's economic development plan to revitalize the neighborhood around the downtown college. Those efforts are expected to bring 500 new housing units, create 1,000 new jobs, attract new businesses and improve the neighborhood's infrastructure.

The museum received $2 million, which brings the foundation’s total contribution to the museum's capital campaign to $6 million. The museum's board of trustees has decided to name its new building in honor of the Knight brothers.

By Jennifer Gonzalez, jgonzalez@plaind.com
 http://www.cleveland.com/newslogs/plaindealer/index.ssf?/mtlogs/cleve_plaindealer/archives/2006_10.html#196404
"If "pro" is the opposite of "con", then does that make the opposite of "progress"..... "Congress" ? "

Offline urbanlife

• 665'-Queen City Square
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2006, 11:55:41 AM »
anyone that wants to see what urban housing should look like, needs to go through these units.

these units are SPECTACULAR and in most cases very reasonably priced.  you can buy a "shell" - floor, windows, and exterior/fire walls for roughly $180,000 to start and basically customize it how you want.  maybe 25k to finish out with loft finishes or you could spend 100k and really fix it up. 

the parade of homes showcased about 7 finished units, plus the ability to walk through the unifinished areas to see views, etc. 

The parade of homes runs through Dec 10:
wed-fri: 5-9pm
sat: 12-9pm
sun: 5-6pm

$5 to get in

I hope cleveland developers take note:  This is exactly the type of development that downtown cleveland is missing.  well built, good location, multiple price levels. 

EDIT:  Here is the link where you can see the floorplans for the units on display

http://www.northsidelofts.com/story_detail.php?home_storiesid=17
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 02:06:21 PM by urbanlife »

Offline audidave

• 574'-Carew Tower
  • Akron skyline
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2006, 01:18:14 AM »
Checked out the northside lofts on Sunday and brought my camera with to take a few pics.   It seemed appropriately busy for late afternoon on Sunday.  Definitely a fine new structure.  I wasn't overly blown away by the views.  It just seemed that on some units the main view is the wide boulevard of Howard St as you look into the valley and see it climbing up the hill to St. Thomas.  With the other units facing Akron the focal point is Luigi's and the car rack place with the city as a background.  Basically I didn't get a compelling feeling that I was getting a special perspective on the city or the valley.  This complex doesn't get a view of the art museum.  One can barely see the new library as it extends its shadow over Main St.  Most of the units we saw were just above street level.  Certainly there could be other units higher up that might have better vantage points.  The 2nd phase complex next door had excavation going on.  Unfortunately I still need to crop the pics down to put them on this website..  Here's a pic from the St. Thomas garage looking back at the Northside lofts crane and downtown Akron in May. 

Offline smackem81

• 468'-Scripps Center
  • Lost in cul-de-sac
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2006, 01:23:57 AM »
Lofts dont have so many walls :(  Nice yes, views yes, affordable yes, lofts no.

Offline urbanlife

• 665'-Queen City Square
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2006, 01:37:04 PM »
^well, you can do what you want with the shell.  that is what i like about their concept.  if you want to finish the place off, fine.  if you want a toilet, shower, a bed in the middle of the room and cement floors, that is fine too. 

for the parade of homes, most of the units were more "finished" than a typical loft, but there were lots of different finishes - polished cement floors, wood, carpet, exposed ductwork, half walls, etc. 

Offline smackem81

• 468'-Scripps Center
  • Lost in cul-de-sac
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2006, 03:54:44 PM »
Oh really? I was under the impression it was a shell as in no nice finishings, just some walls, no flooring, rough plumbing and electrical.

• aka grasscat
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • Building Cincinnati
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2006, 02:43:58 AM »
The home tour is long over, but here's the story.

PHOTO: Dustin Sommers from Cleaning Connection shines the hardwood floors in a condominium to be shown in the Vertical Parade of Homes.  Bob DeMay / Akron Beacon Journal

Home tour touts luxury, scenic views
City living looks up, out
Sophistication, comfort found in lofts with brick, steel and new attitude

By Mary Beth Breckenridge

Developer Joel Testa stood on the roof of the new Northside Lofts and looked toward Main Street in the distance.

"It really gives you a whole different feeling for the city,'' he said, gesturing across Martin Luther King Boulevard toward an urban canyon lined with a mix of century-old buildings and newer construction and dotted with landscaped traffic islands.

That whole different feeling is what Testa's company is trying to create with its Northside Lofts, a residential and retail development on the northern fringe of downtown Akron. Seven condominium units in the development's first building open today for public tours in what's being called the Vertical Parade of Homes, the first of its kind in the country.

http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/news/16095576.htm?source=rss&channel=ohio_news
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 11:06:12 PM by KJP »