Author Topic: Cincinnati: Clifton: Development and News  (Read 61573 times)

Offline mcadrenaline

• 629'-Rhodes State Tower
Re: Cincinnati: Clifton: Development and News
« Reply #280 on: September 18, 2012, 01:17:22 PM »
As with all other urban grocery related things in this city, I'll believe it when I see it. This project has been stalled several times. I hope it's for real this time.

Online The_Cincinnati_Kid

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • The Big Daddy From Cincinnati
« Reply #281 on: September 28, 2012, 09:52:26 AM »
This sounds really alarmist, I don't think it will hamper the deal any, just a few extra hoops.

Goessling says Clifton IGA deal in flux
6:00 PM, Sep. 27, 2012
Written by Laura Baverman

CLIFTON — The man who plans to open a grocery store in the old Clifton IGA says the City of Cincinnati failed to make good on a commitment to loan $550,000 to the $3.7 million renovation project.

Steve Goessling, who owns three regional IGA stores and bought the Ludlow Avenue building more than a year ago, is planning an 11 a.m. press conference Friday to rally Clifton residents and petition City Council to immediately approve the loan so construction can begin.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20120927/BIZ/309270150/Clifton-IGA-deal-flux?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE
"Rock & Roll attained perfection in 1974, it's a scientific fact."- Homer Simpson

Offline Quimbob

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Banned!
    • Blogging Isn't Cool
« Reply #282 on: September 28, 2012, 10:44:06 AM »
Maybe if Goessling's had a shadier past....
Comparing this to the Mahogany's deal is really frustrating. Is race a factor? Sex?
Maybe if Mrs Goessling asked for the loan....
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. - H. L. Mencken

Offline City Blights

« Reply #283 on: September 28, 2012, 05:18:56 PM »
^ We all know the Mahoghany's financing fiasco will never die because it's minority owned.  People making the comparison is more frustrating than this over-publicized hiccup.  When will Cincinnati start to spend time discussing important things, like how much a municipal light-rail network would cost if placed on the ballot for November 2013?

« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 03:25:38 AM by City Blights »

Offline mcadrenaline

« Reply #284 on: September 28, 2012, 06:01:16 PM »
Maybe if Mrs Goessling asked for the loan....

hahaha

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #285 on: September 29, 2012, 08:37:09 AM »
City: Loan deal for IGA close
Goessling meets with development officials
8:42 PM, Sep. 28, 2012
Written by Laura Baverman

CLIFTON — The city of Cincinnati says it’s still committed to helping developer Steve Goessling reopen a grocery store on Ludlow Avenue.

Goessling, the owner of three regional IGA stores, claimed Thursday that the city unexpectedly changed terms of a $550,000 loan it had offered in June, delaying the store’s planned $3.7 million renovation.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20120928/BIZ/309280172&Ref=AR
"Rock & Roll attained perfection in 1974, it's a scientific fact."- Homer Simpson

Offline bmod

• 279'-First Energy Center
« Reply #286 on: October 06, 2012, 03:06:36 PM »
anything on the short vine development? by staggerlees n domino's where the school was knocked down?? i know one development already failed there or was at least pushed back to whats going up now
"At the end of my days i shall retire to my fields to work my land and make love to my slaves like Cincinnatus" - Mark Antony

Offline bmod

« Reply #287 on: October 06, 2012, 03:08:15 PM »
i know its a resi building but thats ab it...
"At the end of my days i shall retire to my fields to work my land and make love to my slaves like Cincinnatus" - Mark Antony

Online jmecklenborg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • http://www.cincinnati-transit.net
« Reply #288 on: October 07, 2012, 03:15:05 AM »
The first floor steel is up for the apartment complex on Short Vine with elevator/stairwell shafts approaching full height.  The other new building on Short Vine is now occupied (immediately next to Staggerlie's) and the complex on Euclid is finished and occupied. 

Offline Rob Jaques

• Go Bearcats!
  • Premium Member
  • I unapologetically love Cincinnati!
« Reply #289 on: October 07, 2012, 08:59:54 AM »
Short Vine is Corryville and this project is in another thread.
""Make no little plans. They have no magic to stir men's blood and probably will not themselves be realized." -Daniel Burnham

Offline OTR

• 665'-Queen City Square
  • Over-the-Rhine
    • OTR Blog
« Reply #290 on: October 07, 2012, 09:19:52 AM »
Does anyone have a detailed (like street by street) map of the neighborhood boundaries in/around Clifton?

Offline natininja

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #291 on: October 07, 2012, 12:43:32 PM »
Short Vine is Corryville and this project is in another thread.
Thank you. +9001

Does anyone have a detailed (like street by street) map of the neighborhood boundaries in/around Clifton?
I remember posting some boundaries in another thread. (Specifically those with relation to Clifton/Heights/CUF/Corryville.) Can't remember where I found them, or if they had streets, but you could kind of figure out the street boundaries regardless.

If anyone has the boundaries in a GIS format, I would love to have those...
CINCINNATI: European charm at Midwest prices!

Offline Rob Jaques

• Go Bearcats!
  • Premium Member
  • I unapologetically love Cincinnati!
« Reply #292 on: October 07, 2012, 01:00:11 PM »
Essentially, main campus and the area south and west of campus are CUF (Clifton Heights to the south, University Heights to the west, and Fairview to the southwest). The area East of campus is Corryville. East Campus is in Avondale. Burnet Woods and North is pretty much all Clifton.
""Make no little plans. They have no magic to stir men's blood and probably will not themselves be realized." -Daniel Burnham

Offline natininja

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #293 on: October 07, 2012, 01:13:56 PM »
This might help some.

via http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CUF,_Cincinnati

I think when Jefferson becomes W Nixon, you exit Clifton. If not right there, then right around there. That's possibly the most confusing border crossing, especially since it is also where Avondale and Corryville connect.

Online ryanlammi

• Global Moderator
  • Wololoo
    • Flickr Profile
« Reply #294 on: October 07, 2012, 07:15:37 PM »
Google Maps does a pretty good job of defining neighborhood boundaries. It doesn't really understand what The Heights is and it thinks you are referencing CUF (whose neighborhood boundaries are posted above).

Clifton:

Corryville:
"We both would have looked silly if he came in, got out and came back in.”

- Tim Burke, Hamilton County Democratic Party Chairman

Flickr Profile

Offline natininja

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #295 on: October 07, 2012, 09:52:14 PM »
Ok so I guess Clifton goes all the way to Vine on W. Nixon. That simplifies things, assuming it's right. Puts the whole block of Nixon/Bishop/MLK/Vine in Clifton. I'm pretty sure all of Burnet Woods is in Clifton, though, which puts that map into a little bit of doubt.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 09:58:35 PM by natininja »

Offline ProkNo5

• Living and Loving Milwaukee
  • 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #296 on: October 07, 2012, 11:16:44 PM »
I'm so confused.  There's a sign at Bishop and Jefferson that says Welcome to Corryville, yet every map I see has the boundaries posted above.  Did that border change at some point?
Here's to Cincinnati, The Queen of the West,
A dirty old city, but still nobly blest.
For it's here that fine arts with the frivolous twine,
A veritable Deutschland just Over the Rhine.

Offline mcmicken

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
    • www.HamptonArchitects.com
« Reply #297 on: October 07, 2012, 11:22:08 PM »
^
Community councils are allowed to set their own boundaries, which may not match the official designation by the city.

Online ryanlammi

• Global Moderator
  • Wololoo
    • Flickr Profile
« Reply #298 on: October 07, 2012, 11:25:42 PM »
Here is a map on Clifton's website showing the boundary: http://www.cliftoncommunity.org/Documents/cliftonmap.pdf

The only discrepancies I see are the NE corner of the neighborhood as well as the SE corner. These are Mitchell Avenue/Vine Street Hill Cemetery and Burnet Woods/Good Sam and Hebrew Union College. The map on Clifton's website is from 2008. Not sure if the neighborhood boundaries have slightly changed since then or if the Google boundaries are incorrect.

Google Maps:

Clifton's Website:

Flickr Profile

Offline natininja

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #299 on: October 08, 2012, 12:25:10 AM »
I think Google is wrong.

And I guess I was wrong, thinking Fries' is in Clifton.

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #300 on: January 01, 2013, 06:48:38 AM »
Gaslight Market aims for April opening
Clifton grocery gets final loan approval
7:21 PM, Dec 31, 2012

Clifton could get its grocery store back by the end of April.

Steve Goessling, owner of the former Keller’s IGA on Ludlow, said Monday that he has received final approval on the construction loan for the $4.1 million project, and closing is tentatively scheduled for Jan. 9.

“Now the real work will begin,” he said.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20121231/BIZ/312310104/Gaslight-Market-aims-April-opening

Offline subocincy

• 574'-Carew Tower
  • I thirst for all things Cincinnati...
« Reply #301 on: January 01, 2013, 09:34:33 AM »
^  Promises, promises, promises!  (Deja vu.)  At this late date, the only way that such press releases can be taken seriously is the moment when the "Gaslight Market" opens its doors and shoppers actually enter.   
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 09:35:52 AM by subocincy »

Online ryanlammi

• Global Moderator
  • Wololoo
    • Flickr Profile
« Reply #302 on: January 31, 2013, 03:49:09 PM »
Clifton could get its grocery store back by the end of April.

Steve Goessling, owner of the former Keller’s IGA on Ludlow, said Monday that he has received final approval on the construction loan for the $4.1 million project, and closing is tentatively scheduled for Jan. 9.

“Now the real work will begin,” he said.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20121231/BIZ/312310104/Gaslight-Market-aims-April-opening

Clifton Gaslight Market gets final go ahead

he encountered several delays in lining up funding for the $4.1 million renovation. The $1.89 million construction loan from Fifth Third, expected to be finalized three weeks ago, was the final piece of the puzzle.

“Hallelujah,” Goessling said after Thursday’s closing.

He said he needs to consult with general contractor Reece-Campbell Inc. before announcing an opening date, but he hopes work can start next week.

Deja vu al over again
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 03:50:29 PM by ryanlammi »

Flickr Profile

Offline Blue Line

• Doors Closing
  • 665'-Queen City Square
  • Helvetican City
« Reply #303 on: February 02, 2013, 10:37:11 AM »
I moved from a building near Clifton and Ludlow, eights months after Keller's IGA closed.
Then I moved from Bishop Street one year later.
Now I live in Clifton Heights, two years after the grocery store closed.

At some point, you just lost interest, and the empty promises mean nothing to you. As crappy as most people say it is, a grocery store is a grocery store, and I like being able to walk to the University Plaza Kroger. Between that Kroger and Findlay Market, I can get anything I *need*. Unlike an unfortunate conversation I had with someone, a few months back, who was angry because the OTR Kroger didn't carry *refrigerated* pickles. First world problems.
"When God created human beings, I bet he didn't think of bombs and things.  I bet he wonders why." -N*E*R*D
---
Committed to a cleaner, safer, and community-oriented city
Spring in Our Steps | CUF Neighborhood Association | Citizens for Civic Renewal

Offline natininja

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #304 on: February 02, 2013, 02:31:57 PM »
I moved from a building near Clifton and Ludlow, eights months after Keller's IGA closed.
Then I moved from Bishop Street one year later.
Now I live in Clifton Heights, two years after the grocery store closed.

At some point, you just lost interest, and the empty promises mean nothing to you.

Makes perfect sense to me! This has been an unmitigated disaster for the Clifton neighborhood.

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #305 on: February 08, 2013, 09:53:13 AM »

Feb 8, 2013, 7:38am EST
Renovation of former Keller’s IGA to start next week
Staff Business Courier

Construction on the former Keller’s IGA will finally begin next week, wcpo.com reported.

The new store, Goessling’s Market-Clifton, will start with construction of a new roof and interior as early as Monday. The store’s reopening was originally scheduled for January 2013, but was delayed because of issues with getting an approved loan from the city while they worked with the Grow America Fund to get the money.

http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/morning_call/2013/02/renovation-of-former-kellers-iga-to.html

Offline mcadrenaline

« Reply #306 on: February 08, 2013, 10:22:57 AM »
At this point though, I'd be concerned that his customers have found other places to shop, albeit less convenient places maybe. One of the major selling points to reopen this grocery is that fact that there are so many elderly/carless/etc in this area. All those people have found new places to shop over the past 2+ years and have made it work. What is Goessling going to do to win these customers back? Surely he cannot compete on price with the Kroger/ALDI/Walmart etc where former patrons of this store are now going. Perhaps people have seen that getting on a bus or carpooling down the street to Kroger is not as big a deal as they once thought.

Furthermore, I have to be skeptical of the business savvy of the Goessling group. They come in knowing how difficult the lending environment is right now yet still continue to make all these specific promises and sharing their timeline with the public, both huge mistakes. Clearly they have never heard of under-promising and over-delivering. How does this kind of impulsive decision-making translate into the day-to-day operation of the business? That remains to be seen.

And this guy has the nerve to talk about how he is interested in opening a location DT or in OTR.....ooooookay, buddy.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 10:58:14 AM by mcadrenaline »

Offline el double u

• Business in the front, party in the back.
« Reply #307 on: February 08, 2013, 10:26:47 AM »
I currently shop in the Corryville Kroger or at a Kroger close to where I work in Montgomery.  Once this new store opens, I don't plan on going anywhere else.  From where I live, I have to drive to Kroger anyways and would be more than willing to add three minutes to the trip to go to a nice grocery store.  Kroghetto just doesn't cut it.
https://twitter.com/ElDoubleU1

UC Civil Engineering Class of 2015

Offline GCrites80s

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Running Free
« Reply #308 on: February 08, 2013, 12:30:29 PM »
Plus, there's new people moving in all the time because of UC.

Offline Quimbob

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Banned!
    • Blogging Isn't Cool
« Reply #309 on: August 29, 2013, 10:32:07 AM »
ok, some guy I don't know just posted on the Nextdoor.com site that Trader Joe's is moving into the Ludlow Ave IGA.
He posted a 2AM with no details.
Probably just a drunken rumor...
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. - H. L. Mencken

Offline Jimmy_James

• 1450'-Willis Tower
« Reply #310 on: August 29, 2013, 10:59:13 AM »
^Awesome, if true.
"It is not a trolley."  -Milton Dohoney, Cincinnati City Manager

Offline edale

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #311 on: August 29, 2013, 01:17:42 PM »
Yeah, I think that's premature to announce, if there is any truth to it at all.

Offline Sherman Cahal

• Premium Member
    • UrbanUp
« Reply #312 on: August 29, 2013, 02:10:20 PM »
Must be the same folks who want a Trader Joe's in the former Save-a-Lot in Northside.

Offline OCtoCincy

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #313 on: August 30, 2013, 10:51:33 AM »
Would be amazing but very unlikely. Trader joes love suburban style shopping malls. Only a very few aren't in large parking lots, etc. if they are semi urban, they are in very wealthy areas.  Clifton is wealthy, but not very large. Trader Joes keeps its costs low by having a massive volume of sales. They would need to be packed all the time.

I'll cross my fingers, but I won't hold my breath.

Offline GCrites80s

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Running Free
« Reply #314 on: August 30, 2013, 12:27:01 PM »
'Nati got luck with the Trader Joe's "only" as far as Kenwood. In Seabus we gotta go all the way to Dublin or Easton.

Remove Ads